Author Topic: Watches  (Read 253079 times)

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
  • "I am focused on training and coaching my team"
Re: Buying a decent watch
« Reply #120 on: January 1, 2010, 10:53:57 pm »
Why would you spend even £300 on something that tells you the time and the date?
Impress the ladies? Actually I've always wanted a decent watch and I need some ideas (plus it might get me laid/mugged)
.....where once we watched the King Kenny play

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 1, 2010, 10:58:53 pm »
I have three Fossil watches, one cool, one casual and one sporty. All occasions covered for around 300 euros. So that's two votes for Fossil..

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 1, 2010, 11:01:20 pm »
Get yourself a watch from Fossil, Great selection, can choose your own face and strap and shouldn't set you back more than £100
I have three Fossil watches, one cool, one casual and one sporty. All occasions covered for around 300 euros. So that's two votes for Fossil..

If I can customize them to get a bit of red (on the hands say) it would be perfect

Offline Captain-Carra

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Norbert Klopp. The Boss.
« Reply #123 on: January 1, 2010, 11:10:56 pm »
Sure you can do pretty whatever you want
"The major civilising force in the world is not religion, it's sex." - Hugh Hefner

Online Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #124 on: January 1, 2010, 11:20:34 pm »
Mate, I use Amazon for most of my watch purchases I have always been happy with the buys that I have made from them. You could basically find most of the brands that you're looking for at reasonable prices too.

The high street has always turned out to be more expensive than online. Got 8 watches so far and building up my collection.

Give it a try mate.

« Last Edit: January 1, 2010, 11:26:43 pm by Sorted!! »
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #125 on: January 1, 2010, 11:25:28 pm »
Why would you spend even £300 on something that tells you the time and the date?
This.
It tells you the fucking time for fuck's sake. A £10 Casio does the same fucking job as a £10,000 Rolex Oyster or whatever the fuck they are.

Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
« Reply #126 on: January 1, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »
Because he likes the look of it as well ?
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 2, 2010, 12:14:35 am »
Check this one out guys: might be a bit pricey but still cool:

http://www.watchshopuk.com/mens-nixon-51-30-chronograph-watch-a083-603-p99931688.html

Offline Linton

• Kopite
« Reply #128 on: January 2, 2010, 12:15:13 am »
This.
It tells you the fucking time for fuck's sake. A £10 Casio does the same fucking job as a £10,000 Rolex Oyster or whatever the fuck they are.

Not what he asked for was it? Fine if you don't want a watch, but he does so just ignore this thread if it annoys you.

Have this myself, very satisfied with it and goes with everything.

http://www.watchismo.com/mondaine-evo-automatic-watch-steel-a132-30303-11sbm.aspx

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 2, 2010, 12:41:44 am »
http://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=71

get on that forum. its the best forum around for watches. you dont need to spend a fortune to get a high spec watch.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #130 on: January 2, 2010, 12:42:31 am »
Good people of RAWK: I need your advice! I want to buy a decent watch, something with the look of the Tag Heuer Grand Carrera watch attached below. Now I'm not rich enough/stupid enough to pay £3K for a damn watch however I like the look, in particular the way the red and black go together. I'll spend max £300.

Buy it from somewhere like the Carribean. You can get astonishing discounts on Tags and the like.

£300 for a Tag means you'll get a crap watch though. You should be thinking of spending £750+
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #131 on: January 2, 2010, 12:46:29 am »

Depends on how you think about it.

From the age of 15 (When I started working) til around 5 years ago, I went through a ton of watches - I wear watches all the time - to sleep, gym, footy games, out and about and they get scratched and broken. I have a load in a drawer - all bust/scratched/faulty etc. etc. Most watches I got were around £70-£100 each - not mad for a watch, I think you'll agree.

So in that time (About 23 years) - I spent (Given each watch only lasted around a year without getting knackered) around £2000 on watches.

Five years ago, I bought a Tag (With some money of my missus and money I'd saved) for around £850. It's a Tag, waterproof and more importantly it's got a Sapphire Crystal face so it can't be scratched (Unless you do it with a Diamond!) - I've had it 5 years (Which is around 4 years longer than any other watch I've ever owned) - if it lasts another 3 years then it's paid for itself. The metal is scratched to bits, but I couldn't care less about that. It's a decent watch that should (hopefully) last years. You get what you pay for.

I wanted a watch that would hopefully last a lifetime and would be worth repairing if it went wrong. It's already had 2 battery changes (None of my other watches ever lasted that long!) and if it broke, I'd pay to have it fixed. I was fed up of going through an endless collection of sub-standard cheap shite watches. Just wanted something good. It's also got loads of stuff on it (Tag Kirium) with digitial options on it (Although you can hide them). It's a quality watch at a high price. But one that's hopefully worth it.

Some people will pay £100 for a pair of trainers or £100 for a pair of jeans. I personally find that insane, but if they want to buy stuff that costs so much - then that's up to them isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 2, 2010, 12:50:07 am by Andy@Allerton »

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #132 on: January 2, 2010, 12:52:59 am »
This.

How much do you spend on Cars, Trainers and Jeans?

If it's more than £5000 on a car, more than £15 on Trainers and More than £10 on jeans, then you're wasting money hand over fist by your reckoning.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #133 on: January 2, 2010, 01:11:52 am »
Another vote for fossil

My mate brought this the other day....

He first showed me a bvlgari one (cost 5 figures) and then the one below. It's more or less the same look as the Bvlgari one

"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 2, 2010, 01:46:01 am »

Lovely looking watch that one, £300.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 2, 2010, 01:55:50 am »

Costs about 26 pounds. Not bad really. A tad too big for the wrist, mind.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 2, 2010, 02:37:13 am »
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 2, 2010, 08:14:15 am »
I love watches, have way too many already (about 10) and the Mrs got me another one at Christmas!  Here are a couple way in your price range: -

This one is just over at £325 but is a nice looking piece: -

« Last Edit: January 2, 2010, 08:16:33 am by NatD »
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Purple Gorilla

• Anny Roader
« Reply #138 on: January 2, 2010, 09:20:47 am »

as a 8 year old not a bad watch to be fair

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 2, 2010, 10:21:29 am »
My last Tag watch only cost around £4 from Malaysia. Oddly, it didn't live up to the reputation for reliability or even waterproofing. The Gucci I bought from the same stall wasn't brilliant either.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 2, 2010, 10:29:51 am »
Number 1 is Carrera...

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #141 on: January 2, 2010, 10:52:44 am »
Depends on how you think about it.

I wanted a watch that would hopefully last a lifetime and would be worth repairing if it went wrong. It's already had 2 battery changes (None of my other watches ever lasted that long!) and if it broke, I'd pay to have it fixed. I was fed up of going through an endless collection of sub-standard cheap shite watches. Just wanted something good. It's also got loads of stuff on it (Tag Kirium) with digitial options on it (Although you can hide them). It's a quality watch at a high price. But one that's hopefully worth it.

Some people will pay £100 for a pair of trainers or £100 for a pair of jeans. I personally find that insane, but if they want to buy stuff that costs so much - then that's up to them isn't it?
What he said.
I collect watches and so far must have spent at least 10 grand on Omegas and others. At the moment, amongst others,I have an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean and a Planet Ocean chronograph. Both these watches will outlive me and keep good value the older they get.

If you want a good watch spotters site try this, loads of experts on there who can point you in the right direction.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/index.php
« Last Edit: January 2, 2010, 11:06:40 am by Monkey Red »
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #142 on: January 2, 2010, 10:56:58 am »
This is mine btw;

The digital things can be invisible or you can cycle them; Date/Time, 2nd World Date/Time, Chrono, Timer, Stopwatch..

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 2, 2010, 11:03:38 am »
How much do you spend on Cars, Trainers and Jeans?

If it's more than £5000 on a car, more than £15 on Trainers and More than £10 on jeans, then you're wasting money hand over fist by your reckoning.

My car is worth £2K, my jeans cost £6 from Tesco and my Trainers were about $20 BOGOF in Florida. I can't afford much else....
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #144 on: January 2, 2010, 11:08:58 am »
Not what he asked for was it?

That's a very nice watch mate. Not really into expensive watches, it's all about the appearance and how you look after it. But to the original poster, seriously mate, the watches you're picking are fucking hideous.

Seems to be you pay for name, features or materials with things like watches. I'd rather have a simple elegant looking pricey watch with no scratch materials (watch face and strap if poss), then an expensive one that's water resistant to 2500m and has various chronographs and compass features. And I learned long ago to stop looking at name tags first on clothes, watches, etc.

Just my 2p worth anyway.

This is mine btw;

It sounded so much better than it looks :( Having said that you appear ot have paid for robustness and materials so can't really give too much criticism, you got what you wanted.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #145 on: January 2, 2010, 11:10:07 am »
My car is worth £2K, my jeans cost £6 from Tesco and my Trainers were about $20 BOGOF in Florida. I can't afford much else....

Ripped off on the jeans then :)

If you did have lots of disposable cash available to you, would you still buy the same things?

Online jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 2, 2010, 11:17:58 am »
Ripped off on the jeans then :)

If you did have lots of disposable cash available to you, would you still buy the same things?
Possibly. I like nice things and can appreciate quality but have never been bitten by the watch bug is all. My mate has a very expensive TAG but it does the same job as my Seiko ;D

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 2, 2010, 11:37:21 am »
I'm with Andy on this one. A good watch pays for itself.

Within the £300 price range I'd recommend Seiko and Breil as good options.

Seikos will last for ages and have some nice designs. You could play watch conkers with those and only a few very expensive types would beat it.

The Breil line are probably more 'fashionable' than a lot of the Seiko range but they are well made and will last well for everyday use, including water etc.

The cheapest Tags in the UK seem to be the F1 range, which are nice IMO, but are still £595. I like the design of them though as they are quite plain. I don't like all the chronograph bits. My watch simply has the time and date.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 2, 2010, 11:39:39 am »
Get yourself a citizen seamaster ecodrive , thats a nice watch.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #149 on: January 2, 2010, 12:11:42 pm »
Get yourself a Breil.  Goddam good watches, I have one and bought my bird one for xmas.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 2, 2010, 12:12:59 pm »
Get yourself a Breil.  Goddam good watches, I have one and bought my bird one for xmas.

Good for when you're in the dark too.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #152 on: January 2, 2010, 12:35:17 pm »
Get yourself off to Turkey - you can buy a VERY realistic Rolex copy for £50. I buy a different one every year and they still keep perfect time.

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 2, 2010, 12:41:09 pm »
Get yourself off to Turkey - you can buy a VERY realistic Rolex copy for £50. I buy a different one every year and they still keep perfect time.
Bit far to go for a watch , now a holiday thats different

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 2, 2010, 01:01:37 pm »
I haven't worn a watch since I was 13. I never saw the point to be honest, a bit antiquated if you ask me. Man jewellery at best.

If I'm at work, the time is always in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. If I'm about, it's on my phone. And to be honest, outside of work I mostly couldn't give a fuck what time it is :).

The next time I have something on my wrist that displays the time, it'll be an organic nano tattoo. Probably in about 2025 I reckon ;D

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 2, 2010, 01:02:24 pm »
I love watches, and have several. from a G-Shock to a 1930s Omega.

If you want a good watch for around £300

how about

http://www.thebrandedwatchcompany.co.uk/searchwatchdescription.php?watchid=6794&watchbrandid=21&remember=fromhere&pageNum_rssearchwatchlist=8&totalRows_rssearchwatchlist=351&priceband=1&size=Gents&watchbrandid=21&makeandmodel=&Search.x=32&Search.y=17

I've had my Tissot for years and it still looks great.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 2, 2010, 01:46:13 pm »

I agree.  The last watch I bought was in 1989.  It cost me £8.50 and, apart from 3 batteries, not a penny more for around 10 years.  And guess what, it never missed a beat - always correct to the second!  Haven't worn a watch since - I've always got my phone on me which tells me the time.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 2, 2010, 01:56:26 pm »
Some of these watches nowadays look huge up front and out of proportion when worn. Generally prefer more simpler conservative or casual watches like the Ben Sherman type

However heres some other options for you... :)

And if anyone needs an expensive watch to get laid, then you're seriously pulling in the wrong type of women.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 2, 2010, 02:08:03 pm »
And if anyone needs an expensive watch to get laid, then you're seriously pulling in the wrong type of women.

I did it the other way around. We got engaged and she bought me an Omega Seamaster as an engagement present as I didn't want a ring and she didn't want me to feel left out!

Of course, with it being the part of the build up to our wedding it has had the exact opposite affect on my sex life!
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline T-1000

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 2, 2010, 11:12:25 pm »
That was a joke.

Got to say guys I'm edging towards the Nixon (£440). Does anyone own a Nixon? What was your experience of them?