Author Topic: Reds in Reserve: Wigan 0 - 2 Liverpool  (Read 7232 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Reds in Reserve: Wigan 0 - 2 Liverpool
« on: October 18, 2005, 11:03:43 pm »
After the trauma of nearly running out of petrol on the M6 in rush hour, I arrived in Wigan in time to get some McNasty's before I went to the ground. The guy working there misheard my order and gave me a happy meal, so within my first twenty minutes in Wigan I'd received a free Acceleracers car and several funny looks.

The reserves had a tough night ahead of them at the fabulously named Robin Park Arena. They were facing a Wigan reserves side containing names such as Emerson Thome, Matt Jackson, Gary Teale and David Connolly. In what was a pretty scrappy affair they were the deserved winners notching 2 goals with no reply.

The thermometer on the side of Haydock Racecourse may have said 12 degrees but it felt much colder than that as the game kicked of. Contrastingly there was a warm start to the game when Mannix was booked in the second minute for a late lunge.

The early play was fairly even with the Reds just edging it. Calliste nearly got through on a couple of occasions, once being flagged offside and another time finding himself onside, but an offside Idrizal interfering with play.

Antwi was making his debut in his preferred position of centre half tonight and he looked a much better and more confident player in that slot. He was winning everything in the air and also looked fairly tidy on the ground.

The first real chance of the match fell to Calliste. He latched on to a through ball from Idrizaj, but he just dallied too long before shooting and his attempt was blocked by a retreating Wigan defender.

It was proving to be a typical reserve level match and a typical first half. Space was at a premium and there was very little in the way of flowing football. Liverpool, despite being a much younger team were winning their fair share of loose balls though and on 25 minutes this was epitomised by Antwi who went in for a fifty-fifty and flattened David Connolly.

A few moments later Mannix had a long range effort relatively comfortably saved after Calliste had laid it back to him. It would be only moments before Liverpool were to take the lead though. Guthrie and Raven worked a one-two which led to Guthrie being fouled. Mannix took the resulting free kick from the right wing and the onrushing Whitbread headed the ball into the top corner.

Mannix nearly doubled the lead not too long after. Again another foul on Guthrie led to a free kick about thirty five yards from goal. Manno took it on and saw his shot sail just inches past post and crossbar. Guthrie seemed to have taken a knock in the challenge and was replaced by Adam Hammill just after. As he walked past us he seemed to be holding his groin - draw your own conclusions!

On half time Mannix dived in again and as the whistle blew I feared he was getting an early bath, but the whistle was to signify half time. Wigan had a period of sustained pressure before the break but never actually created a clear cut chance and the Reds went in with the lead intact. Half time gave me chance to admire the fresh Wigan air and to notice that two teenage girls were purposefully leaning forward in their chairs to expose their G-strings to the players of Wigan's youth set up. How fame can turn your head!

Wigan began the second half as they had finished the first and this time looked a lot more dangerous. Their first serious effort came on 54 minutes. Teale hit a curling effort from twenty five yards which was bending right into the very top corner of the net. It took a tremendous save from Dudek to tip the ball behind for a corner. From the resultant corner Wigan nearly scored again but Connolly managed to get in the way of his team mates goalward header.

Raven was getting forward well down the right hand side and he nearly doubled the lead on the hour mark. Calliste initially miscontrolled a ball from Raven, but managed to turn back on himself and slot Raven through. His low shot from quite a tight angle was well saved by Saunders though.

The returning Dudek was getting a lot more action in the second half. On 63 minutes he was forced into another save as he dived to his right to cling to Johansson's header.

Peltier had come on in place of Idrazij just before the hour resulting in Liverpool switching formation. It was hard to tell if it was a 4-1-4-1, a 3-5-1-1 or a 4-1-3-1-1. It seemed to be the same formation we had changed to against Newcastle. I like to refer to it as the melee formation.

On seventy two minutes Liverpool had a great chance to increase their lead. Calliste with the ball at his feet headed down the middle of the pitch with options out numbering the defenders on both sides. Unfortunately he ran straight into a defender and the momentum was lost.

He was to get another chance five minutes later. Potter nudged a ball through which the defender should really have cut out. His failure to do so saw Calliste run clear. He made no mistake this time as he rounded the keeper and pushed the ball home.

Some other Reds who were near us in the stand picked up a team sheet:

"Ramon Calliste? Is he French?"

"No he's Welsh!" came the response, ensuring giggles all round.

Calliste raised his game as the match went on and did brilliantly down the right wing. He dispossessed Wright and whipped in a dangerous cross, but no team mate had managed to keep up with the attack.

Wigan came extremely close to pulling one back on the 83rd minute. Josip Skoko half volleyed a ball from nearly thirty yards out. It beat Dudek and he was unlucky to see the ball come flying back off the upright. In the last minute Connolly also raced onto a through ball, but a combination of the covering Antwi and the advancing Dudek managed to block any attempt at goal and the ball ricocheted off Connolly and behind for a goal kick. The referee soon blew his whistle leaving the Reds deserved 2-0 winners.

Man of the Match: Godwin Antwi Very powerful and imposing for such a young lad. He also looked tidy on the deck when playing in his favoured position today. Raven was good, but then we expect that of him nowadays.

Liverpool Team:
Jerzy Dudek
David Raven
Zak Whitbread
Godwin Antwi
Daniel O'Donnell
Jack Hobbs
Darren Potter
David Mannix
Ramon Calliste (84, Michael Nardiello)
Besian Idrazij (56, Lee Peltier)
Danny Guthrie (38, Adam Hammill)

© AdamS 2005
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 01:49:31 am by Rushian »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Reds in Reserve Wigan 0 - 2 Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 11:12:27 pm »
was this at the JJB?

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 11:15:45 pm »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Online Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 11:17:29 pm »
What no 1/2 time pie?

It had to be said!!

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 11:20:16 pm »
Next door

in that JJB soccerdome then? ;)

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 11:29:46 pm »
so within my first twenty minutes in Wigan I'd received a free Acceleracers car and several funny looks.

What colour was it?

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 11:36:57 pm »
How did Dudek manage?
I`m glad to see him back, in fact I have not been too impressed with Reina so far, so it`s good to know the hero from Istanbul is back :)
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 11:37:52 pm »
How did Dudek manage?
Made one great save and a couple of regulation saves. He had little to do other than that.

Offline Stephen King

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh dear!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 11:40:52 pm »
Excellent report. Even better 3rd time round.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 11:46:32 pm »
Excellent report. Even better 3rd time round.
;D

Offline Kaizer

• Quaresmatic
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 11:50:24 pm »
Made one great save and a couple of regulation saves. He had little to do other than that.

Sounds nice, cause if we get a injury to Reina, I`m not convinced that Carson will solve the situation just yet.
There will always be more sheep than shepherds.

“One of my favourites is Ricardo Quaresma. The day I go back to coaching I will do everything possible to sign him. Quaresma could make any club have that extra step up in quality.” - M.Lippi, August 2007

Just fuckin sign him!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSNuQHwZLE

Offline mjgill85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bees? Beads?
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 11:53:29 pm »
Good read, thanks for that.

Oh, and I pointed (via my brother) Jack Hobbs to this site last night, in particular the most recent thread about him, and he said it was a "cool site". So you never know AdamS, he may very well check back in and read your reports!
@_michaelgill

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2005, 11:56:43 pm »
Good read, thanks for that.

Oh, and I pointed (via my brother) Jack Hobbs to this site last night, in particular the most recent thread about him, and he said it was a "cool site". So you never know AdamS, he may very well check back in and read your reports!
Nice one! I'm glad I've been nice about him so far, he's a big lad ;D

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 12:00:03 am »
Thanks for the report mate, sounds like the kids (&Jerzy) are all coming along just fine  :wave
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 12:16:32 am »
Cheers for brilliant report!!

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 12:19:26 am »
in that JJB soccerdome then? ;)

From the Attatuk and immortality to the fucking soccerdome,........................ in Wigan!
No sentiment in business?
Jeez that is harsh. :'(
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 01:22:57 am »
love the reports adams! cheers

Glad to see Godwin getting a run at centre half!

I take it Jack Hobbs played in midfield again? 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 01:25:26 am by leroy »

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2005, 01:24:21 am »
From the Attatuk and immortality to the fucking soccerdome,........................ in Wigan!

bit over the top mate.  even if pepe hadnt been signed he's still been injured and this was his return match no?

Anyway, good to hear that he's back on the field!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Re: Reds in Reserve: Wigan 0 - 2 Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 03:31:23 am »
Half time gave me chance to admire the fresh Wigan air and to notice that two teenage girls were purposefully leaning forward in their chairs to expose their G-strings to the players of Wigan's youth set up.

naturally, your attention was focused strictly on the match at all other times... :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2005, 03:38:15 am »
nice report!  Thanks!

Offline matty c

• RAWK Ho - £50 a night, hotel room thrown in
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2005, 06:35:55 am »
this manix bloke seems promising aswell.

Offline TRF

• Anny Roader
  • Ukrainian and Liverpool FC fan ? Aha that's me
    • RedBeasts
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005, 07:07:55 am »
Cheers for report again  :wave
common Raven, common Mannix

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2005, 07:49:16 am »
Cheers mate.  Good to hear that Jerzy's back.  Calliste and Antwi sound interesting too.

Online NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2005, 08:13:43 am »
It was the Robin Park Arena (athletics track) - the SoccerDome is the other way.

1st team watch -
It was a brilliant save from Dudek in the 2nd half and generally performed well all through, coming and catching quite a few crosses with ease.

Raven did well but got caught pushing forward a couple of times, when Connolly dropped into his space away from our centre halves.

Darren Potter did much better when he was moved from RM to middle of the park in the middle of the 2nd half and was involved a lot more.

Zak took his goal well and though I would prefer him at CB, did nothing wrong at LB - won most things in the air, was tidy on the deck and pushed on when he could.

Of the others Antwi looked strong and imposing, whilst Calliste showed some good touches against Thome and Jackson (two six foot plus and prob 14 stone plus centre halves - thats Wigan pies for you) but got caught offside too often, either due to an early run (a bit too keen - but to be expected at that age) or the inability of the Reds midfield to pick out the early pass.

The Robin Park Arena reminded me of one of those Swiss grounds we play pre-season games at........all that was missing was a mountain range or 2 behind the dugouts.
I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 10:14:58 am »
Good job with the report Adam, keeps us well informed about the players of the future. Look forward to seeing some of them in the CC game against Palace.
Doubters to Believers

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 10:21:13 am »
Good read Adam, thanks for that.

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 11:39:58 am »
Although Hobbs didn't have his best game you could tell he was a class above. Can't beleive he's still only just 17

Agree about Antwi. Good to see him get a run out at centre back. Thought he played very well, very strong in the tackle and looks to have good technique. Had Connoly in his pocket.

Speaking of which, how funny was it to see the nationwide superstar jumping the barrier at the end to avoid signing a hadfull of autogarphs for young Wigan fans
RTK

Offline wilo in berlin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 12:23:13 pm »
Just got this from a mate who went.
Went to the reserves at Wigan last night mate.  It was 2-0 to the Reds, Whitbread and Calliste.  Whitbread was at Left back and was very solid and comfortable.  When we got a freekick in the 1st half i said to Aldo "we'll score here la, Whitbread".  Cue cross, cue Whitbread to power a header into the top right corner!!!!  Call it Womens intuition!!!!

Godwin Antwi was at Centre Half mate and he was QUALITY! Noone got past him on the floor or in the air and he was good on the ball too.  O'Donnell was also good at Centre Half, as was Raven at Right Back.  Dudek made a world class save in the 2nd half mate which was nice to watch.  Potter palyed and it was about his level.

I spoke to Paco Herrera before the match and he's a very nice chap, we were talking about the Ressies and a bit about the first team.  It was funny because I only read an article he wrote in the LFC magazine yesterday Afternoon!  Shook Jerzy's hand too and felt like a little kid.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2005, 04:01:01 pm »
bit over the top mate.  even if pepe hadnt been signed he's still been injured and this was his return match no?

Anyway, good to hear that he's back on the field!

Fair enough but do you think he would have displaced Reina without the injury?
And I agree, great to have him back playing.
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Simon-1973

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 10:32:50 pm »
Thanks for the report Adam  :thumbup

Good win for the boys and good to see Jerzy back in action.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Jonno83

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2005, 12:23:25 am »
good report mate
We will rise again...