Author Topic: The RAWK History Channel  (Read 13625 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: The RAWK History Channel
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2023, 10:26:06 pm »
I listened to a podcast a few years back called Rex Factor - which was a run through the Kings and Queens in the UK, starting from Alfred the Great. Quite enjoyed it, it was a bit light hearted but quite informative too. Don't know if you've listened to it?

I haven’t another one on my list then, thanks. There are some really good history podcasts around at the moment.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2023, 10:37:02 pm »
I haven’t another one on my list then, thanks. There are some really good history podcasts around at the moment.

https://play.acast.com/s/rexfactor/1.backgroundystuff

This one's a bit older but still worth a listen IMO. The first episode is a bit of background which is decent but then they basically go through each king/queen from episode 2 onwards.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2023, 11:33:23 pm »
I will have to look that one out, there is all sorts on iplayer I keep meaning to watch. Was that the film that won a lot of awards the other night? I remember watching Regeneration which was about the treatment of soldiers from the western front, a very memorable film.
yes think it won 7 BAFTAs, it's on Netflix if you subscribe and it's well worth a watch, well it was for me anyway.

https://youtu.be/rEch-8nDcA8 - The Last Tommy - Part 1/2 (think it's narrated by Bernard Hill (Yosser Hughes)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmdg-59aQuc - Part 2/2

This may be an edited version as there were three I think but it's the same interviewees
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 11:40:06 pm by Wabaloolah »
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2023, 06:19:55 am »
yes think it won 7 BAFTAs, it's on Netflix if you subscribe and it's well worth a watch, well it was for me anyway.

https://youtu.be/rEch-8nDcA8 - The Last Tommy - Part 1/2 (think it's narrated by Bernard Hill (Yosser Hughes)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmdg-59aQuc - Part 2/2

This may be an edited version as there were three I think but it's the same interviewees

This one's a bit older but still worth a listen IMO. The first episode is a bit of background which is decent but then they basically go through each king/queen from episode 2 onwards.
Thanks for the links.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2023, 06:44:06 am »
A lot of the Game of Throne characters are based on historical characters just like the Last Kingdom as well. There was a good video that was done on the subject.

On the subject of The last Kingdom, Bernard Cornwell is bringing out a non fiction book this year, called The World of Uhtred

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2023, 06:56:23 am »
On the subject of The last Kingdom, Bernard Cornwell is bringing out a non fiction book this year, called The World of Uhtred

I hadn’t heard that it would be a great read I loved all his books. Thanks for that.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2023, 09:00:18 am »

I will definitely be getting that. Loved the Last Kingdom series of books.

Still hoping beyond hope that one day they turn some of Conn Iggulden's books into a series - particularly his series of books on Caesar. A lot of artistic licence in those books but absolute page turners.

I reckon that Robert Harris Cicero Trilogy is perfect for adaptation as well
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2023, 09:05:50 am »
I will definitely be getting that. Loved the Last Kingdom series of books.

Still hoping beyond hope that one day they turn some of Conn Iggulden's books into a series - particularly his series of books on Caesar. A lot of artistic licence in those books but absolute page turners.

They are currently filming his War Lord Chronicles the trilogy he wrote on the Authrian legends. I can’t wait to watch that.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2023, 09:18:11 am »
They are currently filming his War Lord Chronicles the trilogy he wrote on the Authrian legends. I can’t wait to watch that.

That will certainly go onto my list
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2023, 02:44:01 pm »

Quite enjoyed reading those due to the sharp contrast in the portrayals of Julius Caesar by Harris and Colleen McCullough in her Masters Of Rome series respectively.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2023, 02:36:26 pm »
I don`t know how to embed videos onto RAWK but anyway, trailers for 2 historical films that I am really looking forward to this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK6ldnjE3Y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tyBrdsIeo

Cillian Murphy in particular seems a good pick to play Oppenheimer. I have read a couple of books about him specifically and the Manhattan Project. A really complicated man.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2023, 02:42:27 pm »
I listened to a podcast a few years back called Rex Factor - which was a run through the Kings and Queens in the UK, starting from Alfred the Great. Quite enjoyed it, it was a bit light hearted but quite informative too. Don't know if you've listened to it?

I'm really enjoying this, thanks for the recommendation. As you say it is light hearted and doesn't take itself too seriously which can be a problem for me with history stuff, as i'll get bored.

I started off with season 2 with the Scottish Kings and Queens.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2023, 03:06:14 pm »
I don`t know how to embed videos onto RAWK but anyway, trailers for 2 historical films that I am really looking forward to this year

Cillian Murphy in particular seems a good pick to play Oppenheimer. I have read a couple of books about him specifically and the Manhattan Project. A really complicated man.

Reading both the Making of the Atomic Bomb book by Richard Rhodes and the Oppenheimer American Prometheus biography right now.  The Nolan book is adapted from American Prometheus, but where I am in the book, the last few chapters is the Father Ted 'Not a Racist' slideshow except its 'Not a Commie (probably)' and I haven't got to the kaboom-y part that probably interests Nolan just yet.

The Rhodes book is tough going, given the amount of physics and atomic theory in it.  I do think there's a great tv series to be made about the exodus (pun intended) of Jewish scientists out of Germany and Eastern Europe in the 1930s.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2023, 03:45:39 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tyBrdsIeo

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bK6ldnjE3Y0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bK6ldnjE3Y0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/18tyBrdsIeo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/18tyBrdsIeo</a>
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2023, 04:08:27 pm »
Reading both the Making of the Atomic Bomb book by Richard Rhodes and the Oppenheimer American Prometheus biography right now.  The Nolan book is adapted from American Prometheus, but where I am in the book, the last few chapters is the Father Ted 'Not a Racist' slideshow except its 'Not a Commie (probably)' and I haven't got to the kaboom-y part that probably interests Nolan just yet.

The Rhodes book is tough going, given the amount of physics and atomic theory in it.  I do think there's a great tv series to be made about the exodus (pun intended) of Jewish scientists out of Germany and Eastern Europe in the 1930s.

I have read both and they're really good reads. I agree on the Rhodes book but it does contain some startling anecdotes e.g. including Enrico Fermi basically creating nuclear material in a local college gym !

(Rob1966 - thanks for doing the embedded videos. I am IT illiterate !)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2023, 04:13:33 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bK6ldnjE3Y0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bK6ldnjE3Y0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/18tyBrdsIeo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/18tyBrdsIeo</a>

Hope there’s a bit more to Napoleon than a re run of 1970 Bondarchuk “Waterloo” as all the battle scenes are taken from there.

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2023, 04:16:57 pm »
Hope there’s a bit more to Napoleon than a re run of 1970 Bondarchuk “Waterloo” as all the battle scenes are taken from there.

Ah, didn`t realise that. Perhaps it is a trailer put together by someone else rather than an official trailer.

Fascinating person, Napoleon. I have read various books about him.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2023, 04:54:07 pm »

During WWII a number of Jewish emigré physicists were based at Liverpool University around Brownlow Hill and were often seen cycling to the labs.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: March 1, 2023, 07:47:04 am »

These have been really good, working my way through them especially today as I'm working from home.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: March 2, 2023, 03:46:08 pm »
These have been really good, working my way through them especially today as I'm working from home.

Nice, glad you like them :)

The ones that sticks out for me from the early ones (pre-Cnut) are Alfred the Great, Athelstan and that one who was having a threesome when he was supposed to be in his coronation.

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #140 on: March 2, 2023, 03:56:35 pm »

The ones that sticks out for me from the early ones (pre-Cnut) are Alfred the Great, Athelstan and that one who was having a threesome when he was supposed to be in his coronation.

To be fair most of them are pre mourinho

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: March 2, 2023, 03:57:23 pm »

I haven’t got around to the one doing a threesome yet! I guess they needed to do something in the dark ages to perk them up. 😀

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: March 2, 2023, 04:23:42 pm »
;D

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: March 5, 2023, 08:55:01 am »
'Blood of the Clans' on BBC.

Neil Oliver being a bit melodramatic but a fascinating series about the internecine warfare between the Highland clans - think Game of Thrones sans dragons - in the late Stuart/early Georgian period.

;D

Yes! But a good watch all the same.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: March 5, 2023, 09:47:37 am »
I'm an Engineer and have always been into physics and technical things but I've developed a real interest in history for the past few years, particularly British history.

I started watching the 'Vikings' series and assumed it was all completely fictional until I realised that some of the events were true as captured in the Anglo Saxon chronicles. I thought Linus Roache as King Ecbert was fantastic in that series by the way.

It inspired me to start reading and watching more on the BBC and channels such as PBS America and the Smithsonian channel. Recently PBS re-ran a great series entitled '1066: a year to conquer England' which discusses the brutal nature of being under Norman rule and a discussion about the true circumstances surrounding King Harold II's death.

I've also been enjoying 'A history of Britain by Simon Schama' at first I didn't take to him as a presenter and thought he was a but dour until I realised he has quite a dry sense of humour but is quite subtle with it. The series has just reached the point of the English civil wars, it reminded me of a visit I made to Chepstow castle years ago which has a great civil war exhibition describing the castle siege as at the time Wales was mainly a Royalist area. I believe the fall of Chepstow during was of strategic significance during the first war. Seperately I've been reading about the 'Battle of Winwick', a local area which was the scene of the final battle of the second civil war.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #145 on: March 5, 2023, 01:21:41 pm »

Only one other film gets near to Waterloo in terms of its battle scenes. In fact it surpasses it. It is - of course - Bondarchuk's 'War and Peace'. I believe he had 300,000 extras (seconded from the Red Army) to stage the Battle of Borodino - which is a few more than actually fought it. But his direction - both his skill at the panoramic and his eye for small detail - will never be equalled. And not a frame of CGI in either film.

Napoleon is a great subject, possibly the greatest subject in history. But many filmmakers have been broken by the sheer scale of what they have to do. Abel Gance still comes closest but his 6 hour epic (or whatever it is) only gets to Napoleon graduating from military school. Stanley Kubrick spent a lifetime collecting a vast Napoleonic library and worked through 20 or 30 drafts of a film that was never made.

There are some cracking books though. 'Napoleon and his marshals' by AG Macdonell takes some beating for the sheer verve with which it's written. And the memoirs of Sergeant Bourgogne who survived the Retreat of Moscow and the 1812 campaign are utterly extraordinary. Men eating each other to survive, others setting a church on fire, jammed with their fellow soldiers, in order to get some warmth......Talk about the horror.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2024, 05:07:07 pm »
It's about time we resurrected this thread, as I was looking around desperately trying to find something to watch I came across this documentary on Sky History about Charles the II called Royal Kill List. It's a really well made documentary, which had so much in that I wasn't aware off. They are supposed to be doing a similar one on the War of the Roses, though I don't think that one is available yet. But History buffs, get watching. Anyone else have some interesting history documentaries?

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2024, 07:53:20 pm »
Every timeI see this thread, I think it's about getting stuck in doggie doors, doorways at Greggs, inquiries as to the origin of Baldrick, etc... :D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2024, 08:44:49 pm »
Every timeI see this thread, I think it's about getting stuck in doggie doors, doorways at Greggs, inquiries as to the origin of Baldrick, etc... :D

And never forget Efes and animal porn :lmao
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2024, 08:46:25 pm »
It's about time we resurrected this thread, as I was looking around desperately trying to find something to watch I came across this documentary on Sky History about Charles the II called Royal Kill List. It's a really well made documentary, which had so much in that I wasn't aware off. They are supposed to be doing a similar one on the War of the Roses, though I don't think that one is available yet. But History buffs, get watching. Anyone else have some interesting history documentaries?

I'll have to look at that, be interesting to see what the royals got up to when they could literally get away with murder

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2024, 08:50:27 pm »
I'll have to look at that, be interesting to see what the royals got up to when they could literally get away with murder

You'll be amazed! It was after the civil war and it's weird how I know I did it at school but have no memory of it at all. I remember doing the Tudors as well but it never interested up until I saw the show the Tudors and thought why didn't they just show us this, way more exciting. Especially the scenes with Henry Cavill!  :D

;D

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2024, 09:46:01 pm »
You'll be amazed! It was after the civil war and it's weird how I know I did it at school but have no memory of it at all. I remember doing the Tudors as well but it never interested up until I saw the show the Tudors and thought why didn't they just show us this, way more exciting. Especially the scenes with Henry Cavill!  :D

;D

Took the kids the Tower Of London a few years ago and it brought back memories of school, Henry VIII and his reign and the brothers imprisoned in the Tower. They say Henry VIII was over 6ft tall, they've got his armour from before he was fat and it looked like it was made for someone smaller than that, the mass murdering bastard

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2024, 10:24:12 pm »

I enjoyed it but wasnt too sure about the swearing.

Theres a great series on Netflix called Tipping Point: The Bomb and The Cold War. 9 episodes all over an hour long.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2024, 10:40:12 pm »
Took the kids the Tower Of London a few years ago and it brought back memories of school, Henry VIII and his reign and the brothers imprisoned in the Tower. They say Henry VIII was over 6ft tall, they've got his armour from before he was fat and it looked like it was made for someone smaller than that, the mass murdering bastard

Wow, that tall! He looks stout and small in all those pictures. I am sure there was a new documentary on the Princes in the Tower, amazing how they have never put together what actually happened, plenty of theories though.

I enjoyed it but wasnt too sure about the swearing.

Theres a great series on Netflix called Tipping Point: The Bomb and The Cold War. 9 episodes all over an hour long.

I perhaps should have warned people about the modernization of it. I have heard about Tipping Point, now you've reminded me I might start watching that. Anything to get away from that international football!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 21, 2024, 08:10:04 am »

Great bump as I'm reading Act of Oblivion by Robert Harris that is a fictionalized version of this episode and was just thinking what a great Netflix it would make. Maybe the most fascinating time in England's history. Got rid of the Monarchy only to replace it with a puritan tyranny that made the Taliban look like a load of party animals  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 21, 2024, 09:54:48 am »

Great bump as I'm reading Act of Oblivion by Robert Harris that is a fictionalized version of this episode and was just thinking what a great Netflix it would make. Maybe the most fascinating time in England's history. Got rid of the Monarchy only to replace it with a puritan tyranny that made the Taliban look like a load of party animals  ;D

It's one of those issues I have about any country now. I am not a royalist by any means but if you abolish it, I am not sure what you replace it with.that is much better. If it becomes more political it means we even more reliant on politicians.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2024, 12:25:56 pm »
It's one of those issues I have about any country now. I am not a royalist by any means but if you abolish it, I am not sure what you replace it with.that is much better. If it becomes more political it means we even more reliant on politicians.

Just replace it with Samie. Problem solved...

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2024, 01:10:36 pm »
Just replace it with Samie. Problem solved...

OMG!  :D

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2024, 03:26:08 pm »

Hi Jill. I mentioned it in the media thread and whilst it is only recent history, the Cold War Series recently released on Netflix (Turning Point - The Bomb and the Cold War) is very good.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: March 22, 2024, 08:16:55 pm »
Hi Jill. I mentioned it in the media thread and whilst it is only recent history, the Cold War Series recently released on Netflix (Turning Point - The Bomb and the Cold War) is very good.

I will have a look at it this weekend, thanks again for mentioning it.

I have been watching some greats docs on You Tube. I don't know it anyone goes on there? I will link some videos a bit later, all sorts of subjects as well.