Author Topic: Henry: Liverpool could stay at Anfield  (Read 29838 times)

Offline La Ligapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • So Raise the Scarlet Standard High
Henry: Liverpool could stay at Anfield
« on: February 4, 2011, 11:58:52 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9387492.stm

I know he has said this before but these latest comments seem more solid.
What is the general feeling here about redeveloping Anfield as opposed to moving?

Personally, if we can up our capacity and improve the facilities around the ground I'd be made up to stay.

Views?
A new era begins.
Let's be patient,
It feels good,
German with a Brazilian flavour
@mowords

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Henry: Liverpool could stay at Anfield
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2011, 12:00:15 pm »
No brainer.  If there is way to increase capacity at Anfield we stay.
Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2011, 12:00:57 pm »
Don't think he hints at anything there other than how much he likes the Kop. He's right, it would be hard to replicate it elsewhere.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2011, 12:01:12 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9387492.stm

I know he has said this before but these latest comments seem more solid.
What is the general feeling here about redeveloping Anfield as opposed to moving?

Personally, if we can up our capacity and improve the facilities around the ground I'd be made up to stay.

Views?

Loads of room round the ground now too.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2011, 12:02:10 pm »
At least they didn't spend 50 million on drawings this time.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline balticred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2011, 12:02:53 pm »
Really big questions as to what capacity we need - seeing empty seats in last couple of seasons has not been nice. Post 2005 thoughts that we would regularly fill 70,000 seem wide of the mark.

To see 10,000+ empty seats regularly would be horrible.

If we can stay and add 7-10,000 that would be my vote every time

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2011, 12:02:59 pm »

definately. makes sense to stay with our roots and redevelop anfield- its one of those few things we have that makes the club special. makes huge economic sense too. spend 50m on a refurb or 450m on a new ground, to achieve the same capacity.

i dont like the idea of 400m of debt.

Offline La Ligapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • So Raise the Scarlet Standard High
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2011, 12:04:07 pm »
Could it be done in a close season though or would we have to move out for a while?
A new era begins.
Let's be patient,
It feels good,
German with a Brazilian flavour
@mowords

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2011, 12:05:47 pm »
definately. makes sense to stay with our roots and redevelop anfield- its one of those few things we have that makes the club special. makes huge economic sense too. spend 50m on a refurb or 450m on a new ground, to achieve the same capacity.

i dont like the idea of 400m of debt.

50m on Refurb? To get the current Anfield up to a suitable standard would cost a hell of alot more than that
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 4, 2011, 12:05:54 pm »
Should just dig down in the ground and make 3/4 tiers all round the ground then stuff the away fans right at the back in the highest tier so they can be seen and not heard. Madrid and United did that to accommodate and now they have massive grounds
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #10 on: February 4, 2011, 12:06:24 pm »
Could it be done in a close season though or would we have to move out for a while?

One completely new stand could be done in the off season but we would have to operate at a reduced capacity while we do the other stands up, one at a time.

Offline Vidocq

• chronologically challenged LFC historian
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize
« Reply #11 on: February 4, 2011, 12:06:39 pm »

they should do that...our capacity is too low for a top club like Liverpool...even shit clubs have more capacity than us
"During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means."  Luis Suarez

Offline markcd

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: February 4, 2011, 12:06:42 pm »
Really big questions as to what capacity we need - seeing empty seats in last couple of seasons has not been nice. Post 2005 thoughts that we would regularly fill 70,000 seem wide of the mark.

you could probably do it in stages like the mancs have done at OT.

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #13 on: February 4, 2011, 12:08:33 pm »
Should just dig down in the ground and make 3/4 tiers all round the ground then stuff the away fans right at the back in the highest tier so they can be seen and not heard. Madrid and United did that to accommodate and now they have massive grounds

A new ground may be more financially viable than this. If we could extend capacity in the main stand and the Anfield Road end then thats our best case scenario.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 4, 2011, 12:09:29 pm »
The size of the pitch is a problem as well. Not only does it help teams to sit in and frsustrate us, but we need special dispensation to play in Europe. Maybe they could push the Anny road stand back and reroute the road either through the park or through a tunnel under the stand.

Offline rickythered

• facedranter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 Times
« Reply #15 on: February 4, 2011, 12:09:31 pm »

This if it's possible if not lets concentrate on building a successful team again which will increase revenue and attendance figures then lets think about a new stadium.
“The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that.” Brendan Rodger's

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #16 on: February 4, 2011, 12:09:56 pm »
There are some top class mock-ups that various people have done of a redeveloped Anfield in the new stadium forum here.
If we could build a new 3-tier Main Stand, maybe add another lavel to the Annie Road and leave open the option for another small tier on top of the Centenary, then staying is a great option
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 4, 2011, 12:10:15 pm »
We have had three new satnds in the last twenty years, the planning and progression of the club still winds me up.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #18 on: February 4, 2011, 12:11:36 pm »
Corporate facilities are what NESV want. Accommodating them will take precedence in whatever plans they go with

Offline Baz Smythe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 4, 2011, 12:15:07 pm »
The size of the pitch is a problem as well. Not only does it help teams to sit in and frsustrate us, but we need special dispensation to play in Europe. Maybe they could push the Anny road stand back and reroute the road either through the park or through a tunnel under the stand.

That would be class, it'd feel like your in Monte Carlo.
Follow me on twitter.

https://twitter.com/1chrissmith1

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #20 on: February 4, 2011, 12:15:28 pm »
The question is whether Anfield can be re-developed to at least 60,000 with the costs incurred and loss of income during re-development being equal to,or less than,the cost of a new stadium.

If this is the case then staying at Anfield has to be the only option.
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 4, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »
There would be lots of hurdles to get through before this could happen wouldn't there.

The Council have always been for a new stadium linked in with regeneration of the Anfield area, so discussions on anything other than that would have to start from scratch.

The whole planning permission process would have to be gone through again, along with talks about funding etc.

It really is starting from scratch again, which in a way would be a shame.  I am a bit torn on this to be honest.  I love the thought of staying at Anfield - how could anything replace it, with all the memories and history, and yet at the same time I did like the design the last lot had done, it looked so impressive and original.

One thing is obvious, if they do decide to stay at Anfield it is going to be a few years before we get a stadium of increased capacity.

The good thing is that now we have decent owners, financially the need to rush is no longer there.  They are willing to invest into the club regardless, so they can take their time and make a good decision.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 4, 2011, 12:17:29 pm »
we could redevelop anfield to what? 60,000?. What happens in 10 years times when we are crowned kings of europe for the 10th time and need 70,000 or 80,000?

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
« Reply #23 on: February 4, 2011, 12:18:09 pm »

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 4, 2011, 12:18:26 pm »
Have any of our photoshop geniuses had a go at what a developed Anfield might look like?

Offline KENNYS DUGLEASH

• Main Stander
  • The Finest Club In English Football - No Argument
« Reply #25 on: February 4, 2011, 12:19:06 pm »
As a lifelong Celtic fan I think you should redevelope Anfield,for us it was less of a pain as we had full use of Hampden park so the logistical problems were minimalised.
We now have a fairly decent ground by modern standards although weve lost 7,000 due to the loss of terracing.
I would suggest LFC go down a similar road but poss look into using say the Millenium Stadium or approaching another team within reach Like Blackburn or Bolton to ground share whilst they are away from home?
Another thing Ive mooted this amongst Celtic Forums..
What about a sensible return to part Terracing?
Say a new Kop fully terraced bringing back the real essence of a vibrant bouncing support?
We of course have "The Jungle" and most of our fans old enough to remember terracing would relish and support its return to our game?
The attendance would be up several 1,000 in the 'Kop' surely with it's return?

Offline balticred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 4, 2011, 12:19:35 pm »
Have any of our photoshop geniuses had a go at what a developed Anfield might look like?

new stadium forum

Offline _Lfc_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *YNWA*
« Reply #27 on: February 4, 2011, 12:19:45 pm »
we could redevelop anfield to what? 60,000?. What happens in 10 years times when we are crowned kings of europe for the 10th time and need 70,000 or 80,000?
What happens ? :P the glory hunters dont get to go  :D

Offline Breitner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 4, 2011, 12:20:12 pm »
There would be lots of hurdles to get through before this could happen wouldn't there.

The Council have always been for a new stadium linked in with regeneration of the Anfield area, so discussions on anything other than that would have to start from scratch.

The whole planning permission process would have to be gone through again, along with talks about funding etc.

It really is starting from scratch again, which in a way would be a shame.  I am a bit torn on this to be honest.  I love the thought of staying at Anfield - how could anything replace it, with all the memories and history, and yet at the same time I did like the design the last lot had done, it looked so impressive and original.

One thing is obvious, if they do decide to stay at Anfield it is going to be a few years before we get a stadium of increased capacity.

The good thing is that now we have decent owners, financially the need to rush is no longer there.  They are willing to invest into the club regardless, so they can take their time and make a good decision.

I don't believe these new stadiums are the saviour they're made out to be. We'd just be suffocated by more debt and unable to benefit from the proceeds. Build a winnig team first and gradually update Anfield. If in 10/15 years time there is the demand for a hulking great stadium then we can re-examine it.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 4, 2011, 12:20:22 pm »
Sorry guys, just found redeveloped section in New Stadium.

Offline rickythered

• facedranter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We won it 5 Times
« Reply #30 on: February 4, 2011, 12:21:27 pm »
What happens ? :P the glory hunters dont get to go  :D
:D
“The Liverpool jersey has become heavy to wear and I want to change that.” Brendan Rodger's

Offline cammier

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: February 4, 2011, 12:26:42 pm »
I think Henry has just shown that he really does feel for the club - not like the other twats he replaced. He can see how much Anfield means to the fans and the Kop in particular. If the ground can be redeveloped to a suitable standard with enough capacity then it is a no brainer, we stay at HOME in a new old ground! You cannot build atmosphere and a new ground would never replace Anfield.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #32 on: February 4, 2011, 12:29:41 pm »
Do it, as many seats as possible please.

Offline bleublancRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: February 4, 2011, 12:30:04 pm »
Who drew up the plans for the new stadium last time, if it was H&G's crew then moving cash around on paper could have been an inviting option for them. Anfield is unique, but so are the Liverpool supporters, not being able to replicate Anfield may be true, not being able to replicate the atmosphere elsewhere should not be the case.

I as everyone else have only ever known Anfield as a home ground and whilst it'd be difficult to imagine having a new home ground, the extra revenue would be good for the club and I'd imagine that the extra seating could enable ticket prices to be kept down a bit. Playing in the same stadium as the shite across the park shouldn't come into anyones way of thinking though.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #34 on: February 4, 2011, 12:30:06 pm »
I don't believe these new stadiums are the saviour they're made out to be. We'd just be suffocated by more debt and unable to benefit from the proceeds. Build a winnig team first and gradually update Anfield. If in 10/15 years time there is the demand for a hulking great stadium then we can re-examine it.

Only thing is that the redevelopment will cost hundreds of millions itself and probably be borrowed money, and could be a waste if in the end we still need a new stadium (borrowing even more money).

And how are we going to finance a winning team without increased revenues?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Breitner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 4, 2011, 12:32:59 pm »
Only thing is that the redevelopment will cost hundreds of millions itself and probably be borrowed money, and could be a waste if in the end we still need a new stadium (borrowing even more money).

Not sure about that. Starting with one stand is going to be a lot easier to finance than borrowing 400 odd million.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: February 4, 2011, 12:34:51 pm »
Its not just about seats, its about making people spend whilst at the ground - so improved merchandise sales, improved food/drink sale, seating/bars to encourage people to come earlier before games and stay later afterwards.

Even in the newest parts of Anfield (Ive been an Upper Centenary ST holder since it opened) this just cannot happen without the stand being totally redone as the concourse area is just too small. So IMO all four stands would have to be totally redone, and by the time you do that surely a new stadium would be easier, quicker and just as cost effective (by the time you take in to account closing down stands for a period of time, etc.).

Offline Dave_the_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: February 4, 2011, 12:35:45 pm »
Leader of the council Joe Anderseon has already said no development of the ground. So, I don't know where that leaves  us.

Offline Roy of the rovers

• TORY Supporter - proof being he voted for Blair...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 4, 2011, 12:36:21 pm »
Financial and emotional no brainer if we can make 60,000 at Anfield

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #39 on: February 4, 2011, 12:39:35 pm »
Not sure about that. Starting with one stand is going to be a lot easier to finance than borrowing 400 odd million.

while im no expert on construction, there are some on this site however and they have said that redevelopment is likely to be in the hundreds of millions to get anfield up to 'scratch'.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.