Author Topic: What the Purslow minutes say about the New Stadium  (Read 12881 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
What the Purslow minutes say about the New Stadium
« on: February 3, 2010, 10:53:19 pm »
The Bradley story was either a misunderstanding or complete nonsense so I have locked it. With the issue of the minutes of the meeting between SoS and Christian Purslow we should move on and look at what the minutes (both versions) say about our prospects of moving to a new ground, when work might start and the options of staying at Anfield:

I've posted the SoS version first (CP/SOS) and the CP version immediately afterwards (CP) to try and highlight the differences.

Stadium

11. Liverpool City Council recently announced that the Club had said that building work on the stadium would start in April. Was it true you said this to LCC? What form will such “building work” take? Is it just enabling works and then a halt or would a start date mean an uninterrupted development – if so what would be the proposed opening date for the new stadium?

CP/SOS - It is not true that we said work would start in April. LFC and EFC supported the city in World Cup bid. When asked by Lord Mawhinney about the stadium being built, I said there was investment interest and talks with banks on financing a stadium. Investment has to happen for the stadium to start, and we expect that around Easter time.

If we get investment we can look at further investment to start the stadium work. How the City Council interpreted this as starting work in April I don’t know, you will have to ask them.

CP - It is not true that we said work would start in April. LFC and EFC supported the city in World Cup bid. When asked by Lord Mawhinney about the stadium being built, I said there was investment interest and talks with banks on financing a stadium.   But that Investment has to happen for the stadium to start, and we hope that will be done by Easter time.

If we get investment we can look at further investment to start the stadium work. How the City Council interpreted this as starting work in April I don’t know, you will have to ask them.

--------

KC - How will the stadium be financed?

CP/SOS - A combination of a long term mortgage, equity, and using the reduction in interest repayments will be available for a stadium as the debt will be reduced.

Any investment of £100 million will have to then be followed by support in financing the stadium. There is a six to nine month process before stadium work can start, tendering and legal processes. If investment comes in April, we are working upon an opening date for the new stadium in Summer 2014. I doubt work will start this year but I would expect it to started next year.

Our approach is to cost and time a stadium build by balancing the extra costs on a quick build to Rolls Royce standards, which is the expensive option as opposed to a longer build to VW standards where the costs can be less. We will have to balance these up.

CP - We will explore all options. Clearly a large construction project of this kind would normally involve long term project finance, both debt and equity. The fact that we will have substantially reduced our debt at LFC before any stadium project means we will have much more of our profit available for servicing a stadium financing. But it is too early to even guess what this will look like. We have to focus on step one.

And we should all have no doubts that this is a long term project. Even if we bring in new investment and then sort out stadium funding quickly thereafter it takes nearly three years to build a stadium. So we are looking at 2013-2014 time period if all goes well.

--------

12. If the new stadium is not being started in April has the current owner and senior management regime ever considered a redevelopment of Anfield, something which the previous regime would not consider despite there being compelling arguments that it could supply the size of stadium needed, without the disruption that has been suggested as a major reason why a redevelopment cannot work?

CP/SOS - Refurbishment will not happen. We would be playing in front of two or two and a half stands for a few seasons, and fans would not want that. There would also be the loss of revenue.

CP - We are considering all options but I must say I have not seen a compelling case for redeveloping Anfield. The serious long term disruption for the fans and the team of playing with one or two stands out of action isn't very attractive. The revenue shortfalls are an obvious issue. More importantly the current management team, owners and all potential new investors strongly believe that a new stadium is in fact a transformational opportunity for the club to actually compete financially with our main rivals. Simple financial projections show LFC in a new stadium as the largest and most cash generative club in England. This is a prize worth chasing and that's why it’s our priority. Only with a new stadium will  we have the financial capacity to have a similar wage bill as our top rivals and still be self sufficient, profitable and properly managed. 

--------

KC - Have fans been asked? Would you canvass fans?

CP/SOS – Our view is that to punch our weight we need the finance coming in. If we look at Manchester United and Arsenal, they are making say £100 million whilst we make £50 million. It will give us £50 million extra.

CP – No recorded response

--------

13. Would you be prepared to meet with those who have done some serious work on a proposal and if not why not?

CP/SOS – On the basis that we have dismissed the concept we see no reason to.

CP – We have a lot on our plate.  And an excellent team looking at all the options.

-------

14. What has been the total spent to date on the new stadium in terms of planning, architects etc?

CP/SOS PLEASE LET US HAVE A RESPONSE TO THIS QUESTION

CP - Substantial sums were spent in the period up to the new stadium getting full planning permission and this is an asset which will be valuable when we get the project restarted.

I need to read and digest in more detail myself. PLease try and keep this on topic. If you haven't got anything sensible to contribute your post will be deleted.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
Re: What the Purslow minutes say about the New Stadium
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2010, 11:13:33 pm »
CP talked about the stadium project starting once finance had been secured.

However, that finance was completely dependent upon reducing the debt burden through the £100m pay down from a new investor and that investor also putting a "deposit" down to secure the finance for a new stadium.

He was specific about June 2014 being an opening date - absolutely did not mention 2013 as a possibility.

He also talked about the cost of the stadium and the finance deciding how it would be done. He used a car analogy.

"You can build a Rolls Royce stadium in a Rolls Royce time (meaning top stadium, super quick). Or a Rolls Royce stadium in Volkswagon time (top stadium built a bit slower but as a result costing less) or a Volkswagon stadium in Volkswagon time (Goodison, presumably). It all depends upon the cost and what you can raise."
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2010, 11:17:07 pm »
On that 2013 point as well. It is a three year build so it would be virtually impossible to secure investment and get it started by April to enable a 2013 opening so I can't see why he put that in. Think that this is the most interesting part in the comparison of the minutes in terms of the switch he makes from dismissing to showing that they haven't really looked at it.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2010, 03:14:25 am »
How do you lads feel about what he has said.?
You were both at the meeting and looked in his eyes.

The beauty of engaging someone into a conversation and catching them off guard to a cretain extent is extremely advantageous.
People can get caught up with the 'conversation' and react accordingly.
I get the impression that some of the answers he's given were regretted and he's attempted to change tack to a degree on several of them.
Others he's tried to blag and one in particular he hasn't really answered at all.
That doesn't really create a feeling of trust.

I'd be interested in what impression you lads derived from that meeting.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2010, 08:30:46 am »
How do you lads feel about what he has said.?
You were both at the meeting and looked in his eyes.

The beauty of engaging someone into a conversation and catching them off guard to a cretain extent is extremely advantageous.
People can get caught up with the 'conversation' and react accordingly.
I get the impression that some of the answers he's given were regretted and he's attempted to change tack to a degree on several of them.
Others he's tried to blag and one in particular he hasn't really answered at all.
That doesn't really create a feeling of trust.

I'd be interested in what impression you lads derived from that meeting.

This part of the minutes is the part he has loosened himself up in his version. He was pretty dismissive about a redevelopment in the meeting with us, but in his version he changes that to basically say its not ruled out and that he has a lot on his plate but there is a team in place for it.

The new stadium wont start to next year at earliest and that is if we get investment around April as there is around a 6-9 month process to choose that Rolls Royce or Volkswagon Stadium that Graham pointed out again above. After the meeting I thought a redevelopment would be completely off the agenda now, but not quite so sure about that with his version.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Has an uncanny grasp of Aldo's balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2010, 11:26:18 am »
12. If the new stadium is not being started in April has the current owner and senior management regime ever considered a redevelopment of Anfield, something which the previous regime would not consider despite there being compelling arguments that it could supply the size of stadium needed, without the disruption that has been suggested as a major reason why a redevelopment cannot work?

CP - We are considering all options but I must say I have not seen a compelling case for redeveloping Anfield. The serious long term disruption for the fans and the team of playing with one or two stands out of action isn't very attractive. The revenue shortfalls are an obvious issue. More importantly the current management team, owners and all potential new investors strongly believe that a new stadium is in fact a transformational opportunity for the club to actually compete financially with our main rivals. Simple financial projections show LFC in a new stadium as the largest and most cash generative club in England. This is a prize worth chasing and that's why it’s our priority. Only with a new stadium will  we have the financial capacity to have a similar wage bill as our top rivals and still be self sufficient, profitable and properly managed. 

I just don't belive that, I hope the club aren't projecting figures on they ST waiting list.

I'm something like 23,000 on the list and have been on it since 2000. 10 years is a ling time and hand on heart, If I was offered one tomorrow, I'd have to think long and hard about turning it down due to finances. I think a fair few people on the list would be in the same boat.

Plus, everyone knows someone who loans out their ST to someone else, due to fanatical problems. What happens to these people when the loanee becomes free to get their own ticket?

IMO if the club reckon there are 70,000 on the ST waiting list, they should be reckoning that only 20% of that figure will take up the option on mass if offered.
That would mean 42,000 ST holders with 18,000 tickets left for general sale in a 60,000 seated stadium.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2010, 11:31:25 am »
I agree JRC - I think the expectations are way off base. 60,000 seems about right to me.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2010, 11:39:48 am »
Agree about the ST waiting list. I could be on it twice for example. Went on it about 1998 and then again with Fancard application. IA said to us last year though that ST seats ratio would be the same proportion in new stadium. So currently it is 23k in 45k stadium, so ST would occupy just over half the stadium capacity, whatever that eventually is.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2010, 11:50:47 am »
Agree about the ST waiting list. I could be on it twice for example. Went on it about 1998 and then again with Fancard application. IA said to us last year though that ST seats ratio would be the same proportion in new stadium. So currently it is 23k in 45k stadium, so ST would occupy just over half the stadium capacity, whatever that eventually is.

Paul

If your ever have another meeting with the club, revenue projection for the stadium would be a very good question, as would be the ST list, has it been cleansed?

While we are on the subjkect, would the club have an amnesty of ST holders who are not really supposed to be in possesion of them?

They say that 80% of Arsenal stadium revenue is generated by 20% of the corporate seats, but I can't see their being regular take up for corporate seats, just because of the fact we are not in London. Might not be a problem for the Top4 games, plus the blue shite, City, spurs and maybe Villa. After that I'd say we'd struggle.

CL wouldn't be a problem either.

So it would be interesting to see what the club are projecting, ST wise, corporate seat wise and corporate box wise.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #9 on: February 4, 2010, 11:57:52 am »
Paul

If your ever have another meeting with the club, revenue projection for the stadium would be a very good question, as would be the ST list, has it been cleansed?

While we are on the subjkect, would the club have an amnesty of ST holders who are not really supposed to be in possesion of them?

They say that 80% of Arsenal stadium revenue is generated by 20% of the corporate seats, but I can't see their being regular take up for corporate seats, just because of the fact we are not in London. Might not be a problem for the Top4 games, plus the blue shite, City, spurs and maybe Villa. After that I'd say we'd struggle.

CL wouldn't be a problem either.

So it would be interesting to see what the club are projecting, ST wise, corporate seat wise and corporate box wise.

The revenue projection I believe to be around the £100m mark for a season compared to our £40 odd million now and United's and Arsenal's £100m-£110m.

ST waiting list hasn't been cleansed yet. We have just released some answers (well non answers really) from Ian Ayre to our members. We will put it up on the main page on here this afternoon for others.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 4, 2010, 12:03:37 pm »
The revenue projection I believe to be around the £100m mark for a season compared to our £40 odd million now and United's and Arsenal's £100m-£110m.

ST waiting list hasn't been cleansed yet. We have just released some answers (well non answers really) from Ian Ayre to our members. We will put it up on the main page on here this afternoon for others.

Do you know how the 100 million is broken down? Take it you don't think we will have a problem selling the allocation of corportate seats and filling the extra boxes?

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #11 on: February 4, 2010, 12:10:18 pm »
Do you know how the 100 million is broken down? Take it you don't think we will have a problem selling the allocation of corportate seats and filling the extra boxes?

That is matchday revenue. Don't know the exact revenue, but Ayre went along the same lines as Arsenal with their corporates accounting for most of the matchday revenue. They obviously feel they can fill the extra corporate seats and boxes. Business is improving in the city and its only just over 2 hours on the train from London. There will always be loads willing to come.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 4, 2010, 12:29:49 pm »
That is matchday revenue. Don't know the exact revenue, but Ayre went along the same lines as Arsenal with their corporates accounting for most of the matchday revenue. They obviously feel they can fill the extra corporate seats and boxes. Business is improving in the city and its only just over 2 hours on the train from London. There will always be loads willing to come.

I'm not so sure, it seems to me that arsenal have basic corporate hospitality, a ticket and meal in the ground. As it stands this is what we offer in some parts of the centenary stand and we have tried to expnand this by using The Sandon and Gladstone Conservatory.
So it seem that this basic corporate package is popular with our fan base as the club has had to expand what it offers.

Arsenal have 150 executive boxes and all are sold out, we have 24 and from what a girl in work has told me, we have a massive waiting list for these, so maybe we could fill upto 100 - 150 of these oursleves. (Don't know what the proposed number is in the new ground?)

I could be wrong, but I think Arsenal make the most of their money out of their club level package and cost wise it sits between the two options outlioned Above.
I have tried to check the prices for this but can't get on the arsenal website, as I'm in work, but I can't see some liverpool fans having to pay an annual fee to become a club level member and then pay aroundf £500.00 for a meal, ticket and swanky seat per person if they want to do some buisness over footy?

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #13 on: February 4, 2010, 12:42:16 pm »
I'm not so sure, it seems to me that arsenal have basic corporate hospitality, a ticket and meal in the ground. As it stands this is what we offer in some parts of the centenary stand and we have tried to expnand this by using The Sandon and Gladstone Conservatory.
So it seem that this basic corporate package is popular with our fan base as the club has had to expand what it offers.

Arsenal have 150 executive boxes and all are sold out, we have 24 and from what a girl in work has told me, we have a massive waiting list for these, so maybe we could fill upto 100 - 150 of these oursleves. (Don't know what the proposed number is in the new ground?)

I could be wrong, but I think Arsenal make the most of their money out of their club level package and cost wise it sits between the two options outlioned Above.
I have tried to check the prices for this but can't get on the arsenal website, as I'm in work, but I can't see some liverpool fans having to pay an annual fee to become a club level member and then pay aroundf £500.00 for a meal, ticket and swanky seat per person if they want to do some buisness over footy?

Ayre likes the Arsenal structure of memberships. Said to us last year about that and this is with him now having his All Red scheme to try and do that.

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 4, 2010, 12:48:40 pm »
Ayre likes the Arsenal structure of memberships. Said to us last year about that and this is with him now having his All Red scheme to try and do that.

What you like and what you end up with are two completley different things, hope for the clubs sake IA and CP have done their homework on this.

Offline jwilgar

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: February 4, 2010, 12:57:45 pm »
CP talked about the stadium project starting once finance had been secured.

However, that finance was completely dependent upon reducing the debt burden through the £100m pay down from a new investor and that investor also putting a "deposit" down to secure the finance for a new stadium.

He was specific about June 2014 being an opening date - absolutely did not mention 2013 as a possibility.

He also talked about the cost of the stadium and the finance deciding how it would be done. He used a car analogy.

"You can build a Rolls Royce stadium in a Rolls Royce time (meaning top stadium, super quick). Or a Rolls Royce stadium in Volkswagon time (top stadium built a bit slower but as a result costing less) or a Volkswagon stadium in Volkswagon time (Goodison, presumably). It all depends upon the cost and what you can raise."
Like most fans I hope we get a new (larger) stadium to increase revenues.  But I found these statistic interesting and it negs the question, what size of stadium can we realistically fill week in, week out ?  If we can only fill 95% of the current ground on average then how can we reasonably expect to fill a larger ground unless ticket prices are dropped considerably (which would of course reduce the revenue accordingly and be self-defeating).  What are people's thoughts on this ?

Attendances to date 2009/10 Season.       Ignore numbers in brackets             

Team                    Highest     Average     Capacity    League    Avg as % of capacity
1   Manchester United    75,169     74,810     75,769    PREM   98.7%
2   Arsenal                    60,103     59,847     60,432    PREM   99.0%
3   Manchester City    47,348     45,384     48,000    PREM   94.6%
4   Liverpool                    44,392     43,288     45,362    PREM   95.4%
5   Newcastle United (1) 49,644     42,273     52,387    CS   80.7%
6   Chelsea (1)    41,836     41,409     42,055    PREM   98.5%
7   Sunderland (13)    47,327     40,054     49,000    PREM   81.7%
8   Aston Villa (7)    42,788     37,754     42,551    PREM   88.7%
9   Everton (9)    39,652     36,581     40,394    PREM   90.6%
10   Tottenham Hotspur     36,031     35,769     36,310    PREM   98.5%
"The Socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards.  It's the way I see football, the way I see life" Shanks

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #16 on: February 4, 2010, 01:13:48 pm »
The average attendance figures are deflated by midweek matches such as Wigan (where the attendance was 41,116).

Potentially more games will not sell out. But even for those we have increased season ticket revenue. But that can be managed. An upper stand could be kept closed. My preferred option would be for ties where we clearly aren't going to sell out, offer tickets to schools and clubs. Either for free or for a nominal £1 a ticket. Even if every game does not sell out, the revenue from all games will be increased, and for big games, it would be enormously increased.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #17 on: February 4, 2010, 01:51:31 pm »
What you like and what you end up with are two completley different things, hope for the clubs sake IA and CP have done their homework on this.

I know. But obviously they will have their expectations judged on this whether rightly or wrongly only time will tell.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #18 on: February 4, 2010, 01:53:01 pm »
The average attendance figures are deflated by midweek matches such as Wigan (where the attendance was 41,116).

Potentially more games will not sell out. But even for those we have increased season ticket revenue. But that can be managed. An upper stand could be kept closed. My preferred option would be for ties where we clearly aren't going to sell out, offer tickets to schools and clubs. Either for free or for a nominal £1 a ticket. Even if every game does not sell out, the revenue from all games will be increased, and for big games, it would be enormously increased.

Its also with ST holders not going certain games and people thinking tickets aren't available. But there needs to be some wider range of ticketing so that children can go for cheaper.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 4, 2010, 02:09:45 pm »

Why is that? Presumably all the new season ticket holder are regular match goers anyway, so for every extra ST there'll be one normal ticket sold less. And for non-sellout games there's less people who'd pick up the extra tickets.

My guess is that our current number of tickets is close to what we'd sell even in a bigger ground, apart from big games. The "no tickets available" line is very over used, for most games there's returns available right up to the day of the match, and if you really want a ticket you'll get one.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #20 on: February 4, 2010, 02:15:42 pm »
Why is that? Presumably all the new season ticket holder are regular match goers anyway, so for every extra ST there'll be one normal ticket sold less. And for non-sellout games there's less people who'd pick up the extra tickets.

My guess is that our current number of tickets is close to what we'd sell even in a bigger ground, apart from big games. The "no tickets available" line is very over used, for most games there's returns available right up to the day of the match, and if you really want a ticket you'll get one.

That is true about the tickets, but there will be a lot who will get a ST, but can't be bothered being on the phones for 3 hours one morning every fortnight.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 4, 2010, 02:21:58 pm »
The stats above are skewed - Utd have reported "attendance" as "tickets sold" rather than "people through the turnstiles" for years.

Not sure on Arsenal

I'm 99% sure we still report "people through the turnstiles"

Offline Alan B'Stard

• Wistfully recalling maternal tongue.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never rub another mans rhubarb!
« Reply #22 on: February 4, 2010, 02:22:57 pm »
Like most fans I hope we get a new (larger) stadium to increase revenues.  But I found these statistic interesting and it negs the question, what size of stadium can we realistically fill week in, week out ?  If we can only fill 95% of the current ground on average then how can we reasonably expect to fill a larger ground unless ticket prices are dropped considerably (which would of course reduce the revenue accordingly and be self-defeating).  What are people's thoughts on this ?

Attendances to date 2009/10 Season.       Ignore numbers in brackets             

Team                    Highest     Average     Capacity    League    Avg as % of capacity
1   Manchester United    75,169     74,810     75,769    PREM   98.7%
3   Manchester City    47,348     45,384     48,000    PREM   94.6%
4   Liverpool                    44,392     43,288     45,362    PREM   95.4%
5   Newcastle United (1) 49,644     42,273     52,387    CS   80.7%
6   Chelsea (1)    41,836     41,409     42,055    PREM   98.5%
7   Sunderland (13)    47,327     40,054     49,000    PREM   81.7%
8   Aston Villa (7)    42,788     37,754     42,551    PREM   88.7%
9   Everton (9)    39,652     36,581     40,394    PREM   90.6%
10   Tottenham Hotspur     36,031     35,769     36,310    PREM   98.5%

Its all relative to the capacity.  Liverpool would not consider building a 70,000+ stadium if they didnt think they could fill it.
“If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything”

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆
77 78  81 84 05 19

Offline Redsfan71

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: February 4, 2010, 04:42:35 pm »

Arsenal's ground was the only purpose built totally new football stadium out of that list.  I found it surprising actually that the stadium has never actually been 100% full.  I'd hope that if our stadium is ever built, that the design allows all the seats to be sold, rather than i guess some not being allocated due to segregation issues.
Proud to be "An Internet Terrorist"

Offline jwilgar

• Main Stander
« Reply #24 on: February 4, 2010, 05:39:40 pm »
Its also with ST holders not going certain games and people thinking tickets aren't available. But there needs to be some wider range of ticketing so that children can go for cheaper.
I fully agree about cheaper tickets for kids but selling a lot of £1 tickets will not pay for a £300M stadium.  I think the range of pricing nees to be greater.  I looked at the prices for Barcelona for example and prices vary from 15 to >70 euros (depending on the opposition and location in the stadium) with a 20% discount for members. 
"The Socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards.  It's the way I see football, the way I see life" Shanks

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #25 on: February 4, 2010, 06:27:29 pm »
I fully agree about cheaper tickets for kids but selling a lot of £1 tickets will not pay for a £300M stadium.  I think the range of pricing nees to be greater.  I looked at the prices for Barcelona for example and prices vary from 15 to >70 euros (depending on the opposition and location in the stadium) with a 20% discount for members. 

Remember reading somewhere how we have the 2nd most expensive cheapest season ticket in the premiership, if that makes sense. 

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 4, 2010, 08:48:56 pm »

Do we know how much that "deposit" is likely to be, and why it only falls upon the new investor and not H and G if they stay ?
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #27 on: February 4, 2010, 08:50:56 pm »
Do we know how much that "deposit" is likely to be, and why it only falls upon the new investor and not H and G if they stay ?

He didn't say, but if they are putting equity down towards the stadium then surely that will affect their share percentage accordingly.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 4, 2010, 11:20:18 pm »
Its all relative to the capacity.  Liverpool would not consider building a 70,000+ stadium if they didnt think they could fill it.

It's Hicks who decided to go for a 73,000 capacity stadium. I very much doubt there was any method to his decision other than sheer ego - I seem to recall he wanted to beat United originally.

Liverpool did do a lot of work on it before H&G arrived and conluded a 60,000 seater was the optimum size.

As some may know I have huge reservations about the HKL stadium design. I think we could be left with an over-priced white elephant as a result of decisions taken by a man who knows fuck all about football and whose architects are similarly ignorant.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29 on: February 5, 2010, 12:34:15 am »
It's Hicks who decided to go for a 73,000 capacity stadium. I very much doubt there was any method to his decision other than sheer ego - I seem to recall he wanted to beat United originally.

Liverpool did do a lot of work on it before H&G arrived and conluded a 60,000 seater was the optimum size.

As some may know I have huge reservations about the HKL stadium design. I think we could be left with an over-priced white elephant as a result of decisions taken by a man who knows fuck all about football and whose architects are similarly ignorant.

Just shows what a tit Hicks really is.

My take on this is quite simple really.

I would rather a 60,000 stadium that we get regular attendances of 55-59,000 than get a 70  + stadium that we all know wont sell out except for the odd game. Our record is 61,000 and going to the match was affordable then, how the fuck do people really think we will fill a 70+ ground week in week out. No chance.

If we fall further behind on the pitch we will lose some of our loyal OOT fans and the shortfall will not be made up by locals for 2 reasons (1) Cost and (2) Some former supporters who lost out when the costs when through the roof, have learnt to live without going to the match and can't be arsed with all this non Saturday football.

I honestly cant see us filling a ground that big week in week out.

BTW when was the last time we had a capacity att at Anfield ?

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 5, 2010, 07:36:06 am »

I'm starting to come round to that way of thinking too, apparantly gillet favours the cheaper AFL design that they came up with after the HKL design was re drafted from 73,000 to 60,000.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: February 5, 2010, 11:43:32 am »
I have zero problems with the design - I know Alan has posted a fair amount on his dislike for the design and why, but personally I just dont get the problem with it. If it had not been the Americans who designed it then half of the 'haters' would be posting how much they love the design, blah, blah (thats not about you Alan, as I know you know a bit about design!!).

I also have no problems with the capacity being 70k+. Our fan base is as large as Uniteds, our commercial pull for local and non-local businesses is just as high. It will all come down to a good pricing structure for games (not just A and B games, etc), and ticket/travel initiatives to get both local, British and International fans to the ground. If we can get those right then I see no issue with filling the ground.

Although one issue...to fill it will mean to invest in the squad and sustain a top position in the league, without a decent side on the pitch you wouldnt fill the whole ground every week.

Offline lfc_rhcp

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: February 5, 2010, 12:21:59 pm »
if its 70k seater and were not selling out every week will this mean a drop in ticket prices to fill the stadium

Offline Joe Rogans Chin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 5, 2010, 12:26:29 pm »
It's 60,000 ffs.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: February 5, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »
if its 70k seater and were not selling out every week will this mean a drop in ticket prices to fill the stadium

Would be one option.

I also think one of the problems is how we sell/section the away fans within the new ground. As in Anfield we are often left with huge amount of empty seats in the away section (as was the case against Bolton) which I think if we could section them off to a smaller area we could of sold them on to home fans and improve the attendance.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #35 on: February 5, 2010, 12:32:47 pm »
It's 60,000 ffs.

It is as it stands, but all they have ever spoken about it is opening as the larger capacity.

Offline lfc_rhcp

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: February 5, 2010, 12:37:52 pm »
Would be one option.

I also think one of the problems is how we sell/section the away fans within the new ground. As in Anfield we are often left with huge amount of empty seats in the away section (as was the case against Bolton) which I think if we could section them off to a smaller area we could of sold them on to home fans and improve the attendance.

if you look at the designs theres either corner of the anfield road where the away fans could go, similar to the mancs, maybe give them the top to tiers of the corner. I know alot of people who dont go as often anymore cos of ticket prices so a reduction would be good, i think we would fill a 70000k stadium in the first season as alot of people would want to experience it, it all depends on how well the team is doing at the time to be honest

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 5, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »
It's 60,000 ffs.

The problem is it's a 73,000 seater stadium with a half-arsed 3,000 seater "Anny Road" end. If we build it as designed I can honestly see the additional 13,000 seats never getting built and us being left with what is in effect a half-finished stadium that will forever be a legacy to Hicks monumental ego.

I know some people say it'll be great to have a tiny "away" end but would we really allocate the whole of one stand to away support (apart from League Cup games) and if not do we really want the team to be playing towards ten rows of fans and a fucking Jumbotron for 45 minutes out of every 90?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #38 on: February 7, 2010, 11:00:00 pm »
Arsenal's ground was the only purpose built totally new football stadium out of that list.  I found it surprising actually that the stadium has never actually been 100% full.  I'd hope that if our stadium is ever built, that the design allows all the seats to be sold, rather than i guess some not being allocated due to segregation issues.
That was a point that struck me too. Also, if the visiting club do not take up their full allocation then those seats should go to the home fans surely? A new stadium with fully thought out designs would allow for this.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #39 on: February 8, 2010, 01:01:14 am »
3,000 in a 60k seater is 5% - Im fairly certain thats lower than what we have to offer to away clubs at the moment? And for the very few clubs who wouldnt take up the 3k, then you just split it like we do currently in the Anny Rd end and have a few 100 home fans there too.