Author Topic: Anime Anyone?  (Read 80233 times)

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Anime Anyone?
« Reply #480 on: February 10, 2021, 09:56:39 am »
Hammered podcasts so much so fancied a change whilst working. Gave DBZ a revisit for the first time in 20 years and have done it all within 2 weeks or so ;D

Obviously some crap filler in there but it really holds up well for the most part, really nails the charm whilst having those crazy high Infinity War level stakes.

Is Dragonball Super worth a go? Never really watched much Anime outside Bebop and DBZ.

Funnily enough I'm in the middle of watching Dragonball Kai right now (cut down version of Z), there are probably better shows I could be watching but it was one of the first anime I ever saw so it's nice to revisit it. I don't remember Super getting great reviews but if it's some light background entertainment you want then go for it, I also remember enjoying some of the DBZ movies, the Bardock and Brolli ones in particular.

I've been catching up on Attack on Titan, the second half of season 3 and this final season have been amazing so far, it's nice to watch something where you genuinely don't know what's going to happen. I might watch Re:Zero next, I started it a long time ago but it's one of those shows I dropped for no particular reason despite really enjoying it.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #481 on: February 17, 2021, 01:16:30 pm »
Funnily enough I'm in the middle of watching Dragonball Kai right now (cut down version of Z), there are probably better shows I could be watching but it was one of the first anime I ever saw so it's nice to revisit it. I don't remember Super getting great reviews but if it's some light background entertainment you want then go for it, I also remember enjoying some of the DBZ movies, the Bardock and Brolli ones in particular.

I've been catching up on Attack on Titan, the second half of season 3 and this final season have been amazing so far, it's nice to watch something where you genuinely don't know what's going to happen. I might watch Re:Zero next, I started it a long time ago but it's one of those shows I dropped for no particular reason despite really enjoying it.

I tried to watch Kai originally but I find DBZ hard without the Faulconer Productions music, even if they do overuse it.

Couldn't get into DBS until I skipped straight to the Future Trunks saga - which I now rate higher than the Buu saga. ;D
:D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: February 17, 2021, 07:30:49 pm »
Kai is filth. The American score will always be better in my eyes.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #483 on: February 19, 2021, 02:32:44 am »
Have been watching. The first episode of the new season confused me in the beginning, but it's been brilliant. Probably the best show (anime or non-anime) I have ever watched in terms of story, world-building and character development.

The weekly release is not ideal for this show though. Thinking of picking it back up before the last episode.

Yeh i think it's going to go down as a anime classic! I love how it makes you sympathise with both sides. I've read the manga so know what's going to happen but Mappa have done a brilliant job! Have you been keeping up with it?

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #484 on: February 19, 2021, 02:37:07 am »
Kai is filth. The American score will always be better in my eyes.

SSJ3 Bruce Faulconer  ;D

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #485 on: February 19, 2021, 08:51:16 am »
I was absolutely dismissive of anime until I stumbled upon Attack on Titan which my son was watching. Amazing!! Have now binged all season 1&2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: February 19, 2021, 12:05:20 pm »
I tried to watch Kai originally but I find DBZ hard without the Faulconer Productions music, even if they do overuse it.

Couldn't get into DBS until I skipped straight to the Future Trunks saga - which I now rate higher than the Buu saga. ;D

The Kai music hasn't bothered me but then it's been so long since I watched Z I don't remember the music too well, Z just had so much filler I wanted to avoid rewatching at all costs! I think I'll give Super another try at some point, but there's so much other new stuff I haven't watched that I think I'll wait a bit.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #487 on: February 19, 2021, 01:01:52 pm »
Yeh i think it's going to go down as a anime classic! I love how it makes you sympathise with both sides. I've read the manga so know what's going to happen but Mappa have done a brilliant job! Have you been keeping up with it?
Exactly. Very well done that.

The manga still has a few chapters left, isnt it? Will the anime be covering everything as per the manga or will there be a different ending?

I stopped watching after 3rd episode. Will pick it up again a day or two before the final episode. Been difficult to avoid spoilers because of google news feed though.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: February 19, 2021, 01:36:15 pm »
I was absolutely dismissive of anime until I stumbled upon Attack on Titan which my son was watching. Amazing!! Have now binged all season 1&2

Watch Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #489 on: February 19, 2021, 01:38:12 pm »
Still haven't seen the second season of AOT.  Will it ever turn up on Netflix?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: February 19, 2021, 01:43:54 pm »
SSJ3 Bruce Faulconer  ;D

I can still hear Goku screaming  :D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: February 19, 2021, 01:44:22 pm »
Still haven't seen the second season of AOT.  Will it ever turn up on Netflix?

It's on Hulu. [ I believe]

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #492 on: February 20, 2021, 10:25:40 pm »
Exactly. Very well done that.

The manga still has a few chapters left, isnt it? Will the anime be covering everything as per the manga or will there be a different ending?

I stopped watching after 3rd episode. Will pick it up again a day or two before the final episode. Been difficult to avoid spoilers because of google news feed though.

It finishes in April so two chapters left. The anime will end on chapter 119 so there is going to be 20 chapters worth of stuff left to cover, there will have to be a second part to finish it, or there is talk that they might do a movie.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: February 20, 2021, 10:47:13 pm »
I got into the first season of AoT, but then I saw the manga in Waterstones and realised it had gone Full Bleach - seemed to take about four pages to do what could have been done in one.

I've been hesitant to go back to it as a result. I really enjoyed Bleach but quickly got tired of the padding and just ended up reading the manga online until it abruptly finished several years ago.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: February 23, 2021, 05:34:19 am »
It finishes in April so two chapters left. The anime will end on chapter 119 so there is going to be 20 chapters worth of stuff left to cover, there will have to be a second part to finish it, or there is talk that they might do a movie.
Ooh nice. I am glad that its not ending just yet.

I got into the first season of AoT, but then I saw the manga in Waterstones and realised it had gone Full Bleach - seemed to take about four pages to do what could have been done in one.

I've been hesitant to go back to it as a result. I really enjoyed Bleach but quickly got tired of the padding and just ended up reading the manga online until it abruptly finished several years ago.
I can understand that. Though I genuinely think, based on the 3 and bit seasons I have watched so far, this show has reached number 1 on my list. So, I really hope you give it a shot again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:43:22 am by Hendollama »
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Online Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: March 12, 2021, 11:26:57 pm »
Been catching up with Bleach lately, I saw some of it back when it first came out but stopped during the near endless filler and never got back into it. Not sure how I feel about it now, it can be really good at times but even the main story seems to be full of filler, and the main character Ichigo seems to take big strides forward and then big strides backwards because they're planning for him to get good again 50 episodes from now.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: March 12, 2021, 11:54:31 pm »
Has anyone heard of Touch? It's the seminal sporting manga/anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm1n0zF0yEk
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Hendollama

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: March 16, 2021, 08:04:49 pm »
Has anyone heard of Touch? It's the seminal sporting manga/anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm1n0zF0yEk
Is this anything like Haikyuu!?

I have really enjoyed Haikyuu! So far. Among the best animes for me.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #498 on: March 17, 2021, 05:54:56 am »
Demon Slayer is on Netflix, and it's actually very good. There's a minimum (if any to be honest) of filler the action is very well choreographed.

I would probably watch a lot more anime if more of it was a bit more plot driven and not weighed down by padding.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #499 on: March 17, 2021, 09:43:10 am »
Bear with me...

I used to love anime when younger.
Me and a couple of mates used to get as many on VHS as we could afford and watch between us - we camped out that little anime section of the HMV store (and they used to show some late nights on channel 4 and then later on sci-fi channel if some on here remember!)

Ones that I remember from that time, i'd say by mid/late 90s i stopped - Akira, Ghost in the shell, ninja scroll, streetfighter 2, fist of the north star, guyver, cyber city, legend of the 4 kings, vampire hunter D, 3x3 eyes, dragonball Z, maccross plus, wicked city

Seems to be a gazillion anime these days on netflix and the like, but I am not sure where to start. Wanted to see if there are any worth watching. I have a couple in mind from some limited research - Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, Paprika - but havent watched yet...
Pretty sure how I take anime will be different too compared to when I was a kid .....but any other suggestions?
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #500 on: March 17, 2021, 10:24:41 am »
Bear with me...

Me and a couple of mates used to get as many on VHS as we could afford and watch between us - we camped out that little anime section of the HMV store (and they used to show some late nights on channel 4 and then later on sci-fi channel if some on here remember!)

Ones that I remember from that time, i'd say by mid/late 90s i stopped - Akira, Ghost in the shell, ninja scroll, streetfighter 2, fist of the north star, guyver, cyber city, legend of the 4 kings, vampire hunter D, 3x3 eyes, dragonball Z, maccross plus, wicked city

Seems to be a gazillion anime these days on netflix and the like, but I am not sure where to start. Wanted to see if there are any worth watching. I have a couple in mind from some limited research - Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, Paprika - but havent watched yet...
Pretty sure how I take anime will be different too compared to when I was a kid .....but any other suggestions?

One Punch Man is hilarious, and Attack on Titan is grim but also excellent.

In other news, I wasn't all that into Cowboy Bebop, don't get the hype around that show.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: March 17, 2021, 02:58:17 pm »
Is this anything like Haikyuu!?

I have really enjoyed Haikyuu! So far. Among the best animes for me.

Haven't watched Haikyuu. But Touch set in place many of the tropes of the highschool sports manga/anime, with life and growing up as much a part of the story as the actual sport. And unlike many that came after, it was noted as being pretty realistic. I actually learned a bit about baseball from reading the manga.

A Guardian article about the summer highshool baseball tournament that's the focus of Touch. As the article notes, the resident professional team, the Hanshin Tigers, gets kicked out of the stadium for the duration of the tournament. A bit like Middlesex getting sent to the sticks whenever the MCC want to play a game at Lord's.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/22/japans-field-of-dreams-school-baseball-teams-vie-for-koshien-glory

"The exploits of Koshien’s young stars over the decades have been immortalised in film, on television and in manga comics."
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: March 18, 2021, 01:13:14 pm »
Bear with me...

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, is imo one of the best ever made [note there are two versions on Netflix, watch Brotherhood specifically as the other version is crap].

Unlike Tubby, I enjoy Cowboy Bebop, it's aged well, it's a quality anime, quality soundtrack, story as well.

Trigun is another one, hasn't aged as well, but the characters are entertaining and there are some great episodes.

Samurai Champloo is  well done too.

Death Note is a must.

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: March 18, 2021, 01:26:15 pm »
Bear with me...

Perfect Blue and Paprika are both wonderful movies. Satoshi Kon was a master - RIP. I'd highly recommend any of his works - Millennium Actress and Paranoia Agent are both great too.

I agree with the shouts before for FMA Brotherhood, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Champloo. Brotherhood got me hooked back into anime after a few years away. All of these shows have cool fights and don't have excessive fan service that many animes have.

Studio Ghibli movies are targeted towards younger audiences, but there's still enjoyment to be had. Spirited Away is my favorite.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 01:28:02 pm by On Axis »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #504 on: March 19, 2021, 02:46:10 am »
I'm somehow watching HOTD again.....fucking lockdown!!!

The bath scene is fucking hilarious ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: March 19, 2021, 02:55:38 am »
Haven't watched Haikyuu. But Touch set in place many of the tropes of the highschool sports manga/anime, with life and growing up as much a part of the story as the actual sport. And unlike many that came after, it was noted as being pretty realistic. I actually learned a bit about baseball from reading the manga.

A Guardian article about the summer highshool baseball tournament that's the focus of Touch. As the article notes, the resident professional team, the Hanshin Tigers, gets kicked out of the stadium for the duration of the tournament. A bit like Middlesex getting sent to the sticks whenever the MCC want to play a game at Lord's.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/22/japans-field-of-dreams-school-baseball-teams-vie-for-koshien-glory

"The exploits of Koshien’s young stars over the decades have been immortalised in film, on television and in manga comics."
I liked Touch. It made me interested in baseball too. Major is another baseball one that I remember liking (which I probably started on the back of Touch). I don't think I ever finished it though as there's 150 odd episodes
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:57:44 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #506 on: March 19, 2021, 03:32:51 am »

All of the below are 9/10 or better for me. I might be missing a few.

Criteria:

No show with more than 100 episodes (almost certain to have filler galore and to devolve into a final cashcow form)

Miyazaki/Ghibli movies

- Princess Mononoke
- Nausicaa
- Spirited Away
- Castle of Cagliostro
- Porco Rosso

Other movies

- Paprika

Adventure/fighting TV shows

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the original is also actually pretty good - so I wouldn't advise against that version)
Demon Slayer
Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing Ultimate
Monogatari (Exactly 100 episodes so cutting it a bit close for me in terms of how long it is, but it's wonderful)

Comedy (sometimes with romance)

Azumanga Daioh
Cromartie High School
FLCL
His and Her Circumstances
Golden Boy
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (FIRST SEASON ONLY - DO NOT WATCH SECOND SEASON)

Horror

Another

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #507 on: March 23, 2021, 08:49:54 am »
I've got 10 days off over Easter and am preparing to smash Berserk across that time (for the first time!). I began to look for it a couple of weeks ago when our team form was so bad I thought a depressing anime would cheer me up ;D Now we've won a couple of games, I feel better, here we go to begin the descent.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:52:59 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline MULLENEDWINE

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: March 23, 2021, 07:51:46 pm »
Can I ask, why do all the anime video's I see and watch, what's with the big eyes?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: March 23, 2021, 07:57:16 pm »
It's a cultural artistic choice. Eastern culture and animation focuses on the eyes even with emojis, which are horizontal compared to western vertical animation which focus on the mouth (and also our emojis too!).

(¬、¬) vs :'D

You're able to express a lot more from the soul through your eyes than any other part of the body
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:59:13 pm by OsirisMVZ »

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #510 on: March 24, 2021, 10:07:09 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!
Will look into these
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #511 on: March 24, 2021, 06:25:12 pm »
I've got 10 days off over Easter and am preparing to smash Berserk across that time (for the first time!). I began to look for it a couple of weeks ago when our team form was so bad I thought a depressing anime would cheer me up ;D Now we've won a couple of games, I feel better, here we go to begin the descent.

Hopefully the 1997 one!

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #512 on: March 24, 2021, 07:55:38 pm »
In other news, I wasn't all that into Cowboy Bebop, don't get the hype around that show.

:D

Offline Hendollama

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: March 25, 2021, 06:28:37 am »

Thanks for the reply Sangria. Apologies it has taken so long to respond.

This sounds intriguing. I will give it a go. I am always a sucker for good sports shows.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #514 on: April 14, 2021, 04:45:17 pm »
Golden Boy is fucking hilarious, whoever they got in to do the English dub on the main guy is amazing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/QickU67A8j4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/QickU67A8j4</a>

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #515 on: April 30, 2021, 04:14:20 pm »
My daughters (17 & 13) have massively got into Anime, stemming from the youngest.

The Promised Neverland and, especially, Attack on Titan, are their absolute favourites.

What I find sad, though, is that the youngest won't talk to her friends about liking anime, as they would rip the piss out of her. I find that weird.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: April 30, 2021, 04:32:58 pm »
Been that way since I started watching anime in like 2005 ;D Better to just open up and tell people really. AoT has sooo many fans and became a worldwide thing, her friends would surely be into it if they gave it a chance.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: April 30, 2021, 04:38:57 pm »
My daughters (17 & 13) have massively got into Anime, stemming from the youngest.

The Promised Neverland and, especially, Attack on Titan, are their absolute favourites.

What I find sad, though, is that the youngest won't talk to her friends about liking anime, as they would rip the piss out of her. I find that weird.

Loads associate it with weird porn or some shit. Doesn't help when some anime has fan service in it. Got a few mates to watch the likes of attack on titan recently and they can see why I watch so much. So many original concepts that couldn't be made on with same effects or scope with real life acting.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: April 30, 2021, 04:40:26 pm »
Due to catching up on One Piece I've started rewatching the lot. Already up to episode 290. Just hope the latest arc is finished by the time I catch up.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: May 1, 2021, 06:56:02 pm »
Loads associate it with weird porn or some shit. Doesn't help when some anime has fan service in it. Got a few mates to watch the likes of attack on titan recently and they can see why I watch so much. So many original concepts that couldn't be made on with same effects or scope with real life acting.

My Neighbour Totoro. Try doing something like that in anything other than anime.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011