Author Topic: Better Call Saul  (Read 185642 times)

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Better Call Saul
« Reply #2040 on: August 13, 2022, 11:54:53 am »
I don't know how much more we need to see of Walt. I suspect the scene he's in will be in thr vacuum store when they were hiding before going on the run. Some emotional discussion about why they both chose this path.

That’s a really good shout.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2041 on: August 13, 2022, 04:30:48 pm »
I reckon it’s more likely to be something around the poisoning of Brock and Saul’s involvement in that - he claimed he didn’t know what Walt had planned (I think) but we may learn that he did actually know.

Vacuum store could work but we already had a great scene between the two of them there in BB.

Could be anything though - maybe just a random scene not focused on anything at all, maybe a scene with Saul talking about Kim to Walt could be interesting, who knows.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:32:53 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2042 on: August 13, 2022, 09:38:47 pm »
Watching Saul sitting there waiting for Jeff to call from the police station and he is totally on his own. Everyone he cared for has gone. I don't think it will happen but I would love to see a flash back to Slippin Jimmy and Marco back in Cicero. Apart from the good times with Kim, his friendship with Marco was pribably the happiest time of his life.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: August 14, 2022, 09:02:49 pm »
Watching Saul sitting there waiting for Jeff to call from the police station and he is totally on his own. Everyone he cared for has gone. I don't think it will happen but I would love to see a flash back to Slippin Jimmy and Marco back in Cicero. Apart from the good times with Kim, his friendship with Marco was pribably the happiest time of his life.

Slippin Jimmy was Jimmy. Moving to Albuquerque was his worst mistake. What he achieved by passing the bar, secretly, while working in the mailroom was phenomenal really. But Chuck was horrified at the thought of the loveable Jimmy getting a foot in the door at his own firm. He wanted to keep Jimmy down.

It’s a bit like Alex Ferguson with every successive united manager...
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2044 on: August 14, 2022, 09:04:51 pm »
The only person I think of as despicable or evil is Hector. I’d feel nothing killing him. That scene where he was was carried in his wheelchair and he then shot the gun, until it was empty, at the already dead Nacho was so concise in its summary of Hector as a person.

They created one of the worst people in TV history. He didn’t seem to have any redeeming features like Lalo with his charm or guile.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 09:06:27 pm by Peabee »
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2045 on: August 15, 2022, 11:49:13 am »
The only person I think of as despicable or evil is Hector. I’d feel nothing killing him. That scene where he was was carried in his wheelchair and he then shot the gun, until it was empty, at the already dead Nacho was so concise in its summary of Hector as a person.

They created one of the worst people in TV history. He didn’t seem to have any redeeming features like Lalo with his charm or guile.

Dark  :o

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: August 15, 2022, 02:26:30 pm »
Really hope to see what becomes of the young manager at pollos hermanos.
No time for caution.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2047 on: August 15, 2022, 02:38:17 pm »
Really hope to see what becomes of the young manager at pollos hermanos.

The next spinoff can be him following in the footsteps of his work dad and becoming the new meth kingpin of Albuquerque.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2048 on: August 15, 2022, 04:23:48 pm »

Lalo wasn't evil?

Err..

Spoiler

Got a bloke free dental work so that he could murder him and his wife if something like what happened occurred?

And that's not evil..

Wow!

[close]
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2049 on: August 15, 2022, 04:26:38 pm »
Free dental though, not all bad  ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2050 on: August 15, 2022, 04:36:54 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2051 on: August 15, 2022, 04:56:59 pm »
Debating between watching on my phone on the train tomorrow or watching it tomorrow night at my hotel - question is, can I go a whole day without seeing spoilers?

Also - and this will *definitely* be wrong - but this is my guess as to the last shot of the show:

Spoiler
Jimmy, in prison, ready to go play counsel with the inmates, looks himself in the mirror and does his 'it's showtime, folks'.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 06:23:04 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2052 on: August 15, 2022, 11:11:55 pm »
^ ha - great image  ;D

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2053 on: August 16, 2022, 04:41:21 am »
It’s a fantastic last episode, I’ll say no more
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2054 on: August 16, 2022, 09:35:21 am »
Just brilliant.

Spoiler
Only slight issue I have is that the whole episode could be pretty much be telegraphed. But that's only a problem because I like to be surprised!
[close]
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2055 on: August 16, 2022, 09:53:41 am »
Just brilliant.

Spoiler
Only slight issue I have is that the whole episode could be pretty much be telegraphed. But that's only a problem because I like to be surprised!
[close]

Spoiler
I 100% agree. I thought it was mostly fantastic and I genuinely shed a tear as he looked to Kim in court while confessing. But it was almost all what I'd predicted. I knew they wouldn't leave the character with a purely negative ending - even Walter White got some redemption, so Saul/Jimmy was bound to. And I completely guessed he'd give himself up for Kim and have some good moment with her before the end. So it was somewhat conventional, but still brilliant.

I loved the flashback 'time machine' scenes - lots of damaged people who put themselves on ill-fated courses and wished they could do it over again. But only Saul got to change course and somehow get himself a happy/bittersweet ending, coming out with his soul somewhat intact.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:56:23 am by decosabute »

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2056 on: August 16, 2022, 10:40:04 am »
Debating between watching on my phone on the train tomorrow or watching it tomorrow night at my hotel - question is, can I go a whole day without seeing spoilers?

Also - and this will *definitely* be wrong - but this is my guess as to the last shot of the show:

Spoiler
Jimmy, in prison, ready to go play counsel with the inmates, looks himself in the mirror and does his 'it's showtime, folks'.
[close]

Don't watch it on your phone. First, it is too high quality to waste it on a phone on a noisy train. Second, some c*nt sat next to me on the tube this morning and was doing just that so now I know something significant about Jimmy just from glancing over.

I'm saving it for tonight.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #2057 on: August 16, 2022, 12:07:03 pm »
Spoiler
Thought they landed the plane perfectly, there.

It would be very hard to manage all the flashbacks and cameos and trying to pull the main characters back in again, but thought they did it brilliantly.

At the end of the day, the show is Jimmy and Kim. And that had to be how it ended. He showed how much she meant to him in the end.

I like to think Jimmy will have an OK prison life, 'Slippin Jimmy' will be enough to keep him occupied, knowing Kim will be fine too.

Unreal show - one of the greats for me.
[close]

Online decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2058 on: August 16, 2022, 12:22:06 pm »
Spoiler

It would be very hard to manage all the flashbacks and cameos and trying to pull the main characters back in again, but thought they did it brilliantly.

At the end of the day, the show is Jimmy and Kim. And that had to be how it ended. He showed how much she meant to him in the end.

I like to think Jimmy will have an OK prison life, 'Slippin Jimmy' will be enough to keep him occupied, knowing Kim will be fine too.

[close]

I agree it's been an incredible show. Despite their various similarities and differences, I'd say it's on a par with Breaking Bad. Personally I'd go as far as to say that it warrants a place in the pantheon of all time great drama series, alongside the likes of the Wire and Sopranos.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2059 on: August 16, 2022, 12:24:21 pm »
I thought it was perfectly judged and executed.

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
Speaking of the landing the plane metaphor, the airline that Jimmy and the Marshal flew back on was Wayfarer Airlines. The same company that went down in the 737 Down over ABQ episode in BB.

The scene in the prison with them smoking? A beautiful callback.

Jimmy got what he deserved, and more importantly, came to understand that he needed to take accountability for what he did. He finally shook off his Saul and Gene personas, and embraced being Jimmy McGill. Sure, he'll probably be a popular inmate in prison and no doubt offer some legal advice, but he knows that he's there until the end and he accepts that.

Unlike Walter, who went to his grave forever convinced that he was right and everybody else did him wrong.
[close]
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #2060 on: August 16, 2022, 01:18:28 pm »
Don’t think they could have ended it any better. Superb stuff.
AHA!

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2061 on: August 16, 2022, 01:50:31 pm »
Spoiler

When i started it, the netflix thingy said 'contains scenes of suicide' and I went nuts because I thought it was a massive spoiler (i thought Kim might all along), so was relieved when that didn't pan out.
Thought the little smoking convo at the end (86 years) was beautiful. So simple but so meaningful to those two characters.
Sad it's over.
[close]

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #2062 on: August 16, 2022, 02:38:11 pm »
amazing end to an amazing series

Spoiler
I want a Jimmy in prison sequel show called 'slippin Jimmy'  ;D
[close]

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #2063 on: August 16, 2022, 03:35:01 pm »
About as good as any TV I've ever watched. Such a thoughtful finale that wrapped everything up wonderfully.

I'm resisting breaking out spoiler tags and writing too much, but I'll just say that
Spoiler
I loved the time machine as a framing device, since the show's timeline is so fragmented, especially in this season. I mean it more broadly than this, but I liked Jimmy's answers to his question too. First answer trying to connect with Mike while sitting on a pile of money is that he'd go back and make all the money in the world (in comparison, Mike's answer was that he'd reject bribe money, which was a symbol of accepting a new life that ultimately destroyed his family). Second answer when reframed as regrets, he hides himself entirely from Walter, picking a knee injury as the result of a scam rather than a true regret. But, like Mike, that can be seen as a turning point in which he saw consequences and proceeded down the road anyway - he just doesn't explicitly state it and Walter's too arrogant to unpack it (same with his "you're the last lawyer I'd hire for that" remark, since we know that type of case is what Jimmy is perfect at). And then the final, true answer. His relationship with Chuck, told through flashback
[close]

Magnificent. I was worried they weren't going to get it right, but it was absolutely spot on. With it tidied up so well either side of Breaking Bad, it's hard not to feel like this is Jimmy McGill's universe now, rather than Walter White's.

Spoiler
Alright, one more. I loved him rocking up without a leg to stand on and somehow negotiating his sentence down to a few years at the prison of his choice. One final performance from the master.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 03:36:50 pm by scalatore »

Online decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2064 on: August 16, 2022, 04:06:56 pm »
About as good as any TV I've ever watched. Such a thoughtful finale that wrapped everything up wonderfully.

I'm resisting breaking out spoiler tags and writing too much, but I'll just say that
Spoiler
I loved the time machine as a framing device, since the show's timeline is so fragmented, especially in this season. I mean it more broadly than this, but I liked Jimmy's answers to his question too. First answer trying to connect with Mike while sitting on a pile of money is that he'd go back and make all the money in the world (in comparison, Mike's answer was that he'd reject bribe money, which was a symbol of accepting a new life that ultimately destroyed his family). Second answer when reframed as regrets, he hides himself entirely from Walter, picking a knee injury as the result of a scam rather than a true regret. But, like Mike, that can be seen as a turning point in which he saw consequences and proceeded down the road anyway - he just doesn't explicitly state it and Walter's too arrogant to unpack it (same with his "you're the last lawyer I'd hire for that" remark, since we know that type of case is what Jimmy is perfect at). And then the final, true answer. His relationship with Chuck, told through flashback
[close]

Magnificent. I was worried they weren't going to get it right, but it was absolutely spot on. With it tidied up so well either side of Breaking Bad, it's hard not to feel like this is Jimmy McGill's universe now, rather than Walter White's.

Spoiler
Alright, one more. I loved him rocking up without a leg to stand on and somehow negotiating his sentence down to a few years at the prison of his choice. One final performance from the master.
[close]

Really good post.

Spoiler
I was listening to the BCS Insider podcast after the finale (worth listening to - both Bob Odenkirk and Peter Gould are on it), and someone made the point that the flashbacks are like the ghosts in Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Thinking about that further, you could say the three represent the past (Chuck), present (Mike) and future (Walt) of where Jimmy/Saul are at through the main timespan of the series. All are regretful tales from sad men who chose the wrong path and ended up hurting those around them and dying violently. Even though they're not literally visiting Jimmy/Saul in the series' closing stages, it's a bit like the knowledge of them has helped him come to the realisation of what he has to do to save his soul.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 04:10:06 pm by decosabute »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: August 16, 2022, 06:07:35 pm »
Better finale than BB IMO

Spoiler
The cigarette flame was the only bit of colour in the B&W scene this episode, light at the end of the tunnel vibes.

I also thought it was nice how Jimmy’s last con conned the audience, I was convinced he was going to turn on Kim.
[close]
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2066 on: August 16, 2022, 06:21:59 pm »
Perfect. Just perfect.

Spoiler
So glad there was some reconciliation for Kim and Jimmy. Great to see one or two unexpected cameos and the scenes with Walter and Chuck were great.

This show has given us so many great characters and in general enhanced the majority of those from Breaking Bad. So many great storylines and arcs all pieces together in the most intricate and clever ways. For me it’s probably my favourite show ever, I was just so invested in Kim and Jimmy.
[close]

Gonna miss it big time
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2067 on: August 16, 2022, 06:49:46 pm »
Spoiler
Betsy Brandt brought the fucking heat this episode. Her character, and Skyler, got an awful lot of shit from the 'why can't they let Walter White do cool fucking shit' crowd, and the writers allowed Marie to have her closure, and she nailed it.

I think it's interesting that Gould and Gilligan have in the cameos shown Walter to be the arrogant dick he always was, cloaked as it was in the incredible storytelling and Cranston's performance.
[close]
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2068 on: August 16, 2022, 07:00:25 pm »
Just fucking absolutely perfect.

Spoiler
We got a happy ending and I can’t stop smiling.
[close]

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2069 on: August 16, 2022, 08:51:48 pm »
Thought that was a great last episode. I don't think the second half of this final series (particularly the penultimate episode) have been as strong as everything running up to it, but the finale itself was a brilliant return to form and a great way to close it out.

Spoiler
Love the plea bargaining scenes, they were fantastic. Pleased that Jimmy saw fit to own his crimes.

I don't believe he did it purely to make amends with Kim, or at least I don't think Kim's motivated by no longer being on the hook for a civil lawsuit. I think it's more that him coming to terms with who he is and what he's done has. As others have already covered, we saw Mike and Walt and we know that both of their actions resulted in the deaths and/or destruction of people close to them. Pleased that Kim can rebuild.

Also delighted that the penultimate episode wasn't how we had to go out with Kim. Hated the one dimensional unsubtle way they wrote her out. Only after being critical of it did I realise Gilligan was the sole writer, and personally thought it lacked the usual polish from the team. I guess the chanting in the bus was a bit weird, but I liked it.
[close]

Online tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2070 on: August 16, 2022, 09:26:42 pm »
Thought that was a great last episode. I don't think the second half of this final series (particularly the penultimate episode) have been as strong as everything running up to it, but the finale itself was a brilliant return to form and a great way to close it out.

Spoiler
Love the plea bargaining scenes, they were fantastic. Pleased that Jimmy saw fit to own his crimes.

I don't believe he did it purely to make amends with Kim, or at least I don't think Kim's motivated by no longer being on the hook for a civil lawsuit. I think it's more that him coming to terms with who he is and what he's done has. As others have already covered, we saw Mike and Walt and we know that both of their actions resulted in the deaths and/or destruction of people close to them. Pleased that Kim can rebuild.

Also delighted that the penultimate episode wasn't how we had to go out with Kim. Hated the one dimensional unsubtle way they wrote her out. Only after being critical of it did I realise Gilligan was the sole writer, and personally thought it lacked the usual polish from the team. I guess the chanting in the bus was a bit weird, but I liked it.
[close]

Brilliant.

Spoiler
just for a second I thought fuck someone's going to break him from the bus  ;D
[close]

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2071 on: August 16, 2022, 09:51:33 pm »
Channel hopping tonight and ‘Kevin and Perry Go Large’ is on. I thought the girl on the right looked familiar so looked on IMDB, discovered that the one on the left is Lydia from BB/BCS…

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2072 on: August 16, 2022, 10:29:16 pm »
Spoiler

When i started it, the netflix thingy said 'contains scenes of suicide' and I went nuts because I thought it was a massive spoiler (i thought Kim might all along), so was relieved when that didn't pan out.
Thought the little smoking convo at the end (86 years) was beautiful. So simple but so meaningful to those two characters.
Sad it's over.
[close]

Spoiler
It was the reference to Chuck killing himself
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2073 on: August 16, 2022, 10:46:51 pm »
Brilliant.

Surpasses breaking bad for me. It doesn’t have Cranston’s performance for sure, but it’s much better written and paced.

Phenomenal series.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2074 on: August 16, 2022, 11:31:51 pm »

Yeah good post mate.
It was great wasn't it, such a shame its over.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2075 on: August 16, 2022, 11:56:08 pm »
Finally got to watch it - wow.

Spoiler
First impression is it was just a staggeringly beautiful end to not only Better Call Saul but just the whole Breaking Bad universe. No, there were no huge twists - it panned out as expected - but there's nothing wrong with that. There's been so many unexpected roads taken in this season, but this close to the end you have to stay true to the show and they did exactly that.

So, so much to unpack. Marie! I speculated last week that we may see her or Skylar or Walt Jr in a cameo, but she got so much more than that. She was such an underrated character in BB - tremendously funny, and broke me in the BB finale (or second last episode) when Walt phoned Skylar and told her that Hank would never be found.

The three flashback conversations - Mike, Walt and Chuck - were so affecting. In the first, he shows his greedy side, only thinking about money. In the one with Walt, he showcases his ability to gloss over his genuine regrets and talk about something superficial. And Walt, devastating as always, 'so you've always been this way'. That cut right to the heart of what the whole show has been about. But, of course, he hasn't always been this way - not totally. And that was the purpose of Chuck's scene. He was the good brother. We saw his much, when Chuck's face told that no, he wouldn't have done the same for Jimmy. Speaking of, that shot of the fizzing 'exit' sign when Jimmy mentioned Chuck in court was inspired, a reminder of the show's early days.

Another small scene, but absolutely loved Kim reclaiming her life and stepping into that legal office. After Howard, she buried every inch of herself, becoming the person at the sprinkler company who can't even give a verdict on a new restaurant. And sure, she deserved some form of punishment. But she can do so much good, so her answering that phone while volunteering felt like a huge victory.

When Jimmy got them down to seven and a half years, I did wonder if they might do a time skip and show him getting out. But the path they went down was so much better. Protecting Kim yes, but more importantly the good side of him winning out and owning up to all the horrible stuff he's done. Think there may be some arguments on whether that's the path he'd actually take, but it sure was rewarding to see.

That last couple of minutes... I teared up when I realised they were recreating that shot of Jimmy and Kim smoking, and it was so gorgeous looking in black and white. Then that last shot of him doing the guns - I did think she was going to return it, but even though they've reconciled in a way, they're never going to be that again.

So, life in prison. A fitting end for Saul, and a much tougher one to take for Jimmy? But we've seen that he has the respect of the inmates, and he'll probably be ok. Certainly putting his baking skills to good use, and I'm sure his legal ones too - all three of his identities coming together.

What a show. What an ending. It wasn't big, in the way that BB was with Walt gunning down the Nazis. But it was even more impactful for it.
[close]

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2076 on: August 17, 2022, 01:05:28 am »
Music and cinematography was superb and added to the emotion

Online decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: August 17, 2022, 07:37:34 am »
Finally got to watch it - wow.

Spoiler
First impression is it was just a staggeringly beautiful end to not only Better Call Saul but just the whole Breaking Bad universe. No, there were no huge twists - it panned out as expected - but there's nothing wrong with that. There's been so many unexpected roads taken in this season, but this close to the end you have to stay true to the show and they did exactly that.

So, so much to unpack. Marie! I speculated last week that we may see her or Skylar or Walt Jr in a cameo, but she got so much more than that. She was such an underrated character in BB - tremendously funny, and broke me in the BB finale (or second last episode) when Walt phoned Skylar and told her that Hank would never be found.

The three flashback conversations - Mike, Walt and Chuck - were so affecting. In the first, he shows his greedy side, only thinking about money. In the one with Walt, he showcases his ability to gloss over his genuine regrets and talk about something superficial. And Walt, devastating as always, 'so you've always been this way'. That cut right to the heart of what the whole show has been about. But, of course, he hasn't always been this way - not totally. And that was the purpose of Chuck's scene. He was the good brother. We saw his much, when Chuck's face told that no, he wouldn't have done the same for Jimmy. Speaking of, that shot of the fizzing 'exit' sign when Jimmy mentioned Chuck in court was inspired, a reminder of the show's early days.

Another small scene, but absolutely loved Kim reclaiming her life and stepping into that legal office. After Howard, she buried every inch of herself, becoming the person at the sprinkler company who can't even give a verdict on a new restaurant. And sure, she deserved some form of punishment. But she can do so much good, so her answering that phone while volunteering felt like a huge victory.

When Jimmy got them down to seven and a half years, I did wonder if they might do a time skip and show him getting out. But the path they went down was so much better. Protecting Kim yes, but more importantly the good side of him winning out and owning up to all the horrible stuff he's done. Think there may be some arguments on whether that's the path he'd actually take, but it sure was rewarding to see.

That last couple of minutes... I teared up when I realised they were recreating that shot of Jimmy and Kim smoking, and it was so gorgeous looking in black and white. Then that last shot of him doing the guns - I did think she was going to return it, but even though they've reconciled in a way, they're never going to be that again.

So, life in prison. A fitting end for Saul, and a much tougher one to take for Jimmy? But we've seen that he has the respect of the inmates, and he'll probably be ok. Certainly putting his baking skills to good use, and I'm sure his legal ones too - all three of his identities coming together.

What a show. What an ending. It wasn't big, in the way that BB was with Walt gunning down the Nazis. But it was even more impactful for it.
[close]

Spoiler
Good post, and I almost entirely agree. On the point of whether it would actually be the path that Saul really would take, I think it shows pretty clearly that the plea bargaining down to 7 years is what he's actually trying to do to start with. That's the original plan and intention, and much more in keeping with the slimey, morally bankrupt Saul persona. The plan only changes when Kim's name comes up and he finds out she's already confessed.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:39:19 am by decosabute »

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2078 on: August 17, 2022, 08:10:41 am »
It's strange how invested you can become in a tv programme and how bereft you can feel when it eventually comes to an end.

I've got the same feelings now, having watched the last episode, that I had at the end of The Soprano's and The Wire. BCS belongs in that pantheon of tv greats.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #2079 on: August 17, 2022, 08:45:29 am »
It's strange how invested you can become in a tv programme and how bereft you can feel when it eventually comes to an end.

I've got the same feelings now, having watched the last episode, that I had at the end of The Soprano's and The Wire. BCS belongs in that pantheon of tv greats.

Totally agree, it is sad to see this finish so perfectly. Waking up to no more better call Saul ever has spoilt my morning. What brilliance from start to finish.