Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3473481 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #53520 on: July 27, 2021, 12:01:30 am »
Dating Amber

An irreverant look at 90s Ireland. Two kids are finding out about their sexuality and scared to come out, so hatch a plan together.

Quite funny with several quite sad moments and some hilarious moments. If you like Derry Girls then you'll love this.

Good film.

7/10

Spoiler

One thing putting me off a bit was that the lad looked the spit of the lad in Shameless who had a similar storyline..

[close]
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53521 on: July 27, 2021, 12:23:35 am »
It would be a waste of 1 hour and 44 mins of your life.

Please avoid.

It's a franchise where every film has gotten worse, the first film was pretty good with Ethan Hawke, the latest is as bad as it can possibly get.
Would like to echo this, was so shite I’ve forgotten the ending and I only watched it a couple of days ago.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53522 on: July 27, 2021, 09:26:39 am »
The new Bond film doesn't look up to much.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #53523 on: July 27, 2021, 09:48:27 am »
It was probably state of the art, never before seen technology when it was actually set for release 12 years ago.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53524 on: July 27, 2021, 10:33:44 am »
The new Bond film doesn't look up to much.

I think it's setting itself up for a proper handover.

The previous Bond handovers have been the same character played by different actors.

This one looks to me like an ageing Bond that has effectively left and will die (probably) at the end?

So I think they are taking the route (Which I think they should have done years ago) where you already have 007 that is a code name for anyone - white, black, chinese, male, female - it's a code name of an agent.

I think there won't be another 'Bond' film, but I think there will be more '007' films.

Just a guess, but I suppose I'll find out once I watch the film (I avoid spoilers and crap in films until after I've seen it, so this might be bollocks and random speculation and probably is)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #53525 on: July 27, 2021, 11:59:44 am »
Went to see 'Old,' M.Night Shymalan's new movie at the cinema.

A decent watch, I enjoyed it and the cinematography was stunning. Premise is fairly mediocre sounding but was executed quite well, with some reasonable performances from the cast.

7/10.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #53526 on: July 27, 2021, 12:52:18 pm »
Watched the film Chernobyl 1986 on Netflix the other day. It was ok, but after HBO's Chernobyl it felt sub-standard, as I reckon most efforts would to be fair.

Its worth a watch don't get me wrong, but it goes on far too long and kind of focuses more on the love story between a local woman and one of the firefighters.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53527 on: July 27, 2021, 01:15:27 pm »
So I think they are taking the route (Which I think they should have done years ago) where you already have 007 that is a code name for anyone - white, black, chinese, male, female - it's a code name of an agent.

I think there won't be another 'Bond' film, but I think there will be more '007' films.
It wouldn't shock me if this was what they were thinking, but it would be incredibly dumb. People see Bond films because they like the character, they aren't going to care about a '007 film' with any more than they did that Bourne film with Jeremy Renner in it.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #53528 on: July 27, 2021, 03:18:02 pm »
Its kind of a mixture of Ghostbusters and Stranger things but saying that it looks fun

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qEjVtBvJ27Q" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qEjVtBvJ27Q</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53529 on: July 27, 2021, 03:37:12 pm »
It wouldn't shock me if this was what they were thinking, but it would be incredibly dumb. People see Bond films because they like the character, they aren't going to care about a '007 film' with any more than they did that Bourne film with Jeremy Renner in it.

If it's a good movie people will watch it, it just means that if it's a bad movie they won't be able to rely as much on the brand to carry sales.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53530 on: July 28, 2021, 09:33:55 am »
Saw 'Old'

Wow. Not often you get to see films as terrible as this.

The acting was off the scale awful, the cinematography (And I'm no snob i this area) largely was shit - but it was a very, very, very restricted set obviously.

The acting was so bad I have to mention it twice. None of the actors had any charisma or depth of character - all of them were like caracatures of actual people. Even the people within the groups had zero chemisty with their own groups. Just looked like a bunch of actors bunged on a beach and told to get on with it while they took random shots of them. None of the actual scenes made much impact to the group - several major things happened and then it was like 5 seconds later 'meh' - this might have been part of the idea as the mental processes as well as physical were affected, but that then brought up far too many questions of how could anyone actually function at any level? Seems like an interesting idea, but surely there had to be better ways to explore it?

I was going to give it a 1/10 (Lost in Translation Territory) but the reveal at the end was interesting, but even the wrap up - the way it was shot, the acting, the lack of any actual thing through the film - you didn't feel anxious or scared or excited or worried. It was just like watching a cheap version of something like the Twilight Zone (With bad actors)

2/10 (And that's being generous)

And I like most of his stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to read that they'd had issues during filming for it to be so poor.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53531 on: July 28, 2021, 09:47:53 am »
I think that's a very harsh review. I have thought about it more since I saw it and don't think it's as good as I first thought coming out of the cinema, now that it's percolated somewhat, but 1/10 is a bit unfair. I thought the cinematography was good, though the constant strings used for tension was grating at times.

I'd probably downgrade it to a 5/10 having had further discussion about it over dinner last night, but 1/10 seems over the top. And Lost in Translation is a good film too in my book so maybe we have wildly differing tastes!
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #53532 on: July 28, 2021, 09:53:34 am »
I think that's a very harsh review. I have thought about it more since I saw it and don't think it's as good as I first thought coming out of the cinema, now that it's percolated somewhat, but 1/10 is a bit unfair. I thought the cinematography was good, though the constant strings used for tension was grating at times.

I'd probably downgrade it to a 5/10 having had further discussion about it over dinner last night, but 1/10 seems over the top. And Lost in Translation is a good film too in my book so maybe we have wildly differing tastes!

^^^^^^^^

;)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53533 on: July 28, 2021, 09:59:19 am »

I gave it 2/10

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53534 on: July 28, 2021, 11:35:57 am »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53535 on: July 28, 2021, 11:52:12 am »
That's 100% better.

Did you not think the acting was a bit duff?

I'm normally not arsed, but because of the limited set and the limited timeframe, I thought the mediocrity of the actors stood out.

I've seen other films with limited sets where the sheer talent of the actors brought it through.

But not here.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53536 on: July 28, 2021, 11:54:39 am »

I'm normally not arsed, but because of the limited set and the limited timeframe, I thought the mediocrity of the actors stood out.

I've seen other films with limited sets where the sheer talent of the actors brought it through.

But not here.
I thought elements of it were poor with the acting, but I thought the Father of the family carried it off reasonably and the bloke from The Holiday wasn't bad either - I think given the concept of the movie and the movement of time it's a difficult thing to portray. I'm not saying he smashed it out of the park and I can name 5 better M.Night films, but I do think this was reasonable. As I said before though, I've absolutely climbed down from my original 7/10 and think 5 feels about right. The Visit was better.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53537 on: July 28, 2021, 12:36:39 pm »

But not here.
Dogville.

Fantastic Lars Von Trier movie with an amazing cast on a stage like set.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53538 on: July 28, 2021, 12:38:48 pm »
Old is miles away from Shyamalan's worst film, I found it reasonably enjoyable albeit in a throwaway kinda way.  2/10 is over the top, probably around the 6/10 mark.  It's a darn sight better than The Happening which is a proper 2/10 film.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53539 on: July 28, 2021, 12:51:28 pm »
Dogville.

Fantastic Lars Von Trier movie with an amazing cast on a stage like set.

Not seen that but will give it a go thanks!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53540 on: July 28, 2021, 02:03:17 pm »
Old is miles away from Shyamalan's worst film, I found it reasonably enjoyable albeit in a throwaway kinda way.  2/10 is over the top, probably around the 6/10 mark.  It's a darn sight better than The Happening which is a proper 2/10 film.

I think I found it annoying because anything that most of the characters did made not a blind bit of difference

You can argue the two at the end might have done, but I would have liked to have seen a resolution of some sort and there wasn't one.

The fact it had happened time after time as well..

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53541 on: July 29, 2021, 10:34:06 pm »
A very musical trip to the cinema for my today.

Firstly I watched 'Summer Of Soul' (or the revolution that could not be televised) about the Harlem Cultural Festival of 1969. Six weekends and 300,000 culuminative attendance. The whole thing was filmed and then went unseen left in a basement for 50 years. Blending the amazing concert footage, with background stories of the political and cultural events of the time (the interviews in response to the success of Apollo 12 seem even more fitting now we've got billionaires launching themselves into space), alongside contemporary interviews with acts and attendees. Highly recommended, even better it'll be on Disney+ tomorrow.

Secondly, Edgar Wrights 'The Sparks Brothers' about Sparks and their 50 year 25 album career. It's a great watch if you're a big fan, or if you're like me and just know a few of the hits and that the keyboard player (Ron) looks like Adolf Hitler.
Genuinely loved it, great use of old footage alongside different types of animation. Great cast of interviewees from both sides of the pond as well. It's definitely achieved its aim as I'm currently listening to their last album from 2020 and looking forward to their film Annette whenever that comes out.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #53542 on: July 30, 2021, 05:05:42 am »
Scarlett Johansson suing Disney over Black Widow streaming release
The actor claims that the studio breached her contract by releasing her standalone Marvel adventure on Disney+

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/29/scarlett-johansson-suing-disney-black-widow-streaming-release
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53543 on: July 30, 2021, 06:09:42 am »
The actor claims that the studio breached her contract by releasing her standalone Marvel adventure on Disney+

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/29/scarlett-johansson-suing-disney-black-widow-streaming-release

State of the twats here,they didn't care when they kept the parks open and then reopened them at the first opportunity only to have to close them again.

“The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.”

c*nts.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #53544 on: July 30, 2021, 04:01:21 pm »
I gave it 2/10

Lost in Translation territory?

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #53545 on: July 30, 2021, 05:37:12 pm »
Watched The Suicide squad today and loved it, massive improvement over the 2016 film,  its funny dark and disturbing all the same time, if you enjoyed GOG you'll absolutely love this, also watched Pig with Nicolas Cage which I had to talk myself into watching as Nic Cage is either batshit crazy and worth a watch or cringe af, anyway Pig was absolutely superb , its a slow paced film bout a guy who gets his truffle pig kidnapped (still here) and goes after it, just don't expect a John Wick type movie as its as further from that as possible.

Both excellent.
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53546 on: July 30, 2021, 05:43:25 pm »

Don't poke the bee hive, unless you wanna hear some objectively bad opinions about films.

Man gave Spirited away and Come and See 1/10

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53547 on: July 30, 2021, 05:45:25 pm »
Really enjoyed The Suicide Squad, never bothered with the first film but don't think that was important at all.
Perfect mix of violence, comedy, and heart.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53548 on: July 30, 2021, 10:25:53 pm »
just watched Nobody, luvd it, fkn Walk On as well 😂 now watchin a film about some mad Terminator penknife

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 11:16:51 pm by tray fenny »
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #53549 on: July 31, 2021, 05:38:41 am »

State of the twats here,they didn't care when they kept the parks open and then reopened them at the first opportunity only to have to close them again.

c*nts.

They leaked her salary as well. The new Disney CEO really seems intent on burning all their bridges trying to prioritize Disney+. Kevin Feige is pissed too.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53550 on: July 31, 2021, 11:54:24 am »
They leaked her salary as well. The new Disney CEO really seems intent on burning all their bridges trying to prioritize Disney+. Kevin Feige is pissed too.

Apparently morale at Pixar is pretty low now as well after both Soul and Luca skipped a cinema release altogether and went straight to Disney+ (not even Premier access). Even Raya and The Last Dragon got some sort of cinema release once they reopened.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53551 on: July 31, 2021, 12:06:03 pm »
Really enjoyed The Suicide Squad, never bothered with the first film but don't think that was important at all.
Perfect mix of violence, comedy, and heart.

Honestly didn’t realise it was a Dark Comedy going in.  I was scratching my head first 10 mins until I realised and then proceeded to thoroughly enjoy the complete madness of it all.

Gotta love a ton of R-rated set pieces. Cool soundtrack too.

Also, spotted the actor who played Don Neto in Narcos:Mexico as the General. :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53552 on: July 31, 2021, 01:45:52 pm »
Jungle Cruise

Absolutely loved it and the missus loved it too.

A fun, family adventure with a good story, great casting, exciting scenes and loads of humour that never, ever takes itself too seriously.

This is what you want to go to the pictures for - just lose yourself in a load of action, mayhem and sillyness for a few hours.

Great film. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

9/10
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 11:00:43 pm by Andy @ Allerton »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53553 on: July 31, 2021, 01:47:32 pm »

That would be 1/10

It's funny because when the missus and myself have ventured out of the house to the pictures and see some utter dross, we always console ourselves with "Well at least it wasn't as shite as Lost in Tranlsation" - though I must admit that the new Pinnochio ran it very, very close.

We actually walked out half way through.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53554 on: July 31, 2021, 04:57:49 pm »
Potential juxtapositions throughout history

Nelson Mandela <> Adolf Hitler
Pele <> Phil Jones
The Beatles <> Little Mix
Roger Ebert <> Andy @ Allerton

BTW - Its Jungle Cruise not River Cruise.  I've heard elsewhere it s a good move though :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:12:30 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53555 on: July 31, 2021, 06:30:49 pm »
That would be 1/10

It's funny because when the missus and myself have ventured out of the house to the pictures and see some utter dross, we always console ourselves with "Well at least it wasn't as shite as Lost in Tranlsation" - though I must admit that the new Pinnochio ran it very, very close.

We actually walked out half way through.

You’re both doing a service, because your negative opinions on films normally mean they’re quite good. If you said a film was brilliant I’d avoid it like the plague.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53556 on: July 31, 2021, 11:01:13 pm »
Potential juxtapositions throughout history

Nelson Mandela <> Adolf Hitler
Pele <> Phil Jones
The Beatles <> Little Mix
Roger Ebert <> Andy @ Allerton

BTW - Its Jungle Cruise not River Cruise.  I've heard elsewhere it s a good move though :)

Corrected.

Though Jungle Cruise sounds a bit odd :D

River Cruise seems to make more sense

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #53557 on: August 1, 2021, 03:34:44 pm »

I think you'll see a lot more of this going forward

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #53558 on: August 1, 2021, 07:20:19 pm »
Baby Driver

Thumping sound track. Decent story. Great driving.

7/10

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53559 on: August 1, 2021, 09:15:33 pm »
Taxi Driver.

I was completely gripped for the first hour and a half but felt it drifted off in the middle then pulled me back in for the last 20 minute or so. I can appreciate it is a classic and the vibe of New York is bleak, really enjoyed it.