Author Topic: Holidays - UK or abroad?  (Read 43689 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Holidays - UK or abroad?
« Reply #280 on: July 26, 2021, 03:25:57 pm »
Has anyone travelled from UK to Ireland?

Due to go back home in a few weeks but I am unsure of the requirement. How do you prove you are double jabbed if you don’t have that EU Covid app thing?

Fly to Belfast!

Just spent the last few days on the beaches of County Antrim. Absolutely stunning at the moment (less so today but last week was amazing).

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #281 on: July 26, 2021, 03:30:46 pm »
Fly to Belfast!

Just spent the last few days on the beaches of County Antrim. Absolutely stunning at the moment (less so today but last week was amazing).

Have flights booked in/out of Dublin as heading towards Longford for a family thing, Belfast would be a bit of a ballache.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: July 26, 2021, 04:00:56 pm »
Have flights booked in/out of Dublin as heading towards Longford for a family thing, Belfast would be a bit of a ballache.

Ireland is in the common travel area, so you don't need any of the stuff you need to go abroad. There was a fella answering questions on telly last week and he said just go to Ireland as its got no restrictions in regards to tests nor quarantine

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#ireland-the-uk-the-channel-islands-and-the-isle-of-man
Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: July 26, 2021, 05:07:46 pm »
Ah amazing! Thanks, Rob!

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #284 on: July 28, 2021, 11:19:50 am »

I genuinely thought this was a BigDog post at first until the lack of details about the Reeds' Ulster Fry  made me think otherwise :D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2021, 04:46:29 pm »
I genuinely thought this was a BigDog post at first until the lack of details about the Reeds' Ulster Fry  made me think otherwise :D

Haha that’s when you know you’ve spent too long in the transfer thread. I believe Big Dog (and family, and family friends) prefer the New Forest.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2021, 04:50:34 pm »
Haha that’s when you know you’ve spent too long in the transfer thread. I believe Big Dog (and family, and family friends) prefer the New Forest.

:D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2021, 05:38:05 pm »
Each summer, we have a long weekend in a lodge somewhere with my old parents (mum has Alzheimers as well now). Didn't go last year for obvious reasons, but the couple years before we went to the Yorkshire Dales. Beautiful area and the complex was lovely and peaceful with plush lodges, but we'd exhausted the main things to do there. So we tried another site operated by the same company on the outskirts of the Lakes.

I suspect Covid played a part, with people tending to holiday in the UK this year, but it was a really different vibe. And not in a good way. We have kids and it's not that long ago they were legging it round everywhere, but this was mad at times.

And lots of loud younger couples treating it like a Benidorm piss-up.

Hoping it gets back to normal next year.

On the plus side, the weather was great. Sunday me and the kids were swimming in Ullswater.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #288 on: July 28, 2021, 08:49:32 pm »
Running a B&B out of ours this summer on my own on the Ceredigion Coast. Two rooms. Unreal how fast I've booked up. July was full within 3 days of going live at the start of June. No spare rooms the length of the coast.

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: July 30, 2021, 08:44:07 am »
Still uncertain about Gran Canaria in October.

We've been double jabbed but need it to be on the green list so we don't need to isolate on return as I'm a teacher so difficult to do that. Our work policy says if they changed it while you're over there that's OK though but still want to avoid that scenario.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: July 30, 2021, 09:11:04 am »
Looked at the prices for the lodge we paid £600 for 12 months ago for next August, £1333 for 3 nights😂 Get to fuck, no way will we be paying that.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #291 on: July 30, 2021, 09:15:44 am »
Looked at the prices for the lodge we paid £600 for 12 months ago for next August, £1333 for 3 nights😂 Get to fuck, no way will we be paying that.

We're looking at booking ten days away somewhere in mid-October, but likely to leave it late to book.

We've looked at lodges in Scotland with hot tub etc and its literally £1600 at best for something half decent. £900 for a fucking caravan. Or we can go to a 5* all inclusive in Kos for 11 nights for about £700 each.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: July 30, 2021, 12:45:43 pm »
Still uncertain about Gran Canaria in October.

We've been double jabbed but need it to be on the green list so we don't need to isolate on return as I'm a teacher so difficult to do that. Our work policy says if they changed it while you're over there that's OK though but still want to avoid that scenario.
You don't need to isolate as it's on the amber list and you're double jabbed

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: July 30, 2021, 12:48:20 pm »
You don't need to isolate as it's on the amber list and you're double jabbed

The big worry is if they red list at the drop of a hat. We're due to go to Cyprus end of October and I no longer want to go, just hoping Jet2 cancel it now.
Jurgen YNWA

Online keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #294 on: July 30, 2021, 06:24:20 pm »
The big worry is if they red list at the drop of a hat. We're due to go to Cyprus end of October and I no longer want to go, just hoping Jet2 cancel it now.
How come you don’t want to go?
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: July 30, 2021, 06:30:25 pm »
How come you don’t want to go?

Don't trust the government to not red list them while we are there and us end up with a £3300 bill for staying in a hotel. If it was just me and the wife, I'd take my works laptop and just fly to an amber or green country for 10 days, but the kids have school and they've missed enough as it is.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: July 30, 2021, 07:29:11 pm »
It's very off-putting for a lot of people right now. Would love to book Dubai or Turkey but they just don't seem to be coming off the red list.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: August 2, 2021, 02:05:07 pm »
We go to western Scotland a week on Friday and it's starting to come into weather forecast range.

It looks fucking shite at this stage.

If it's going to be wet all week, I'm going to be back home by Monday.

Our climate is wank.

I'm now thinking of arranging to get pinged so I can get a refund and just put it to something next year.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: August 2, 2021, 02:33:56 pm »
We go to western Scotland a week on Friday and it's starting to come into weather forecast range.

It looks fucking shite at this stage.

If it's going to be wet all week, I'm going to be back home by Monday.

Our climate is wank.

I'm now thinking of arranging to get pinged so I can get a refund and just put it to something next year.

You'd better check what is happening on the 16th. We'd had an email from work today that says it's looking like, from the 16th August, double jabbed won't need to self isolate. Scotland will be different to us, so hopefully you can get out of it.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #299 on: August 2, 2021, 03:44:33 pm »
Is that the place near Skipton mate? I had a look - looks really nice, but the prices are mad. Literally worse than the cost of going to Greece or somewhere. Will look again next year though, because it does look really nice.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: August 2, 2021, 03:46:17 pm »

We are flying to Cork tomorrow. We have got proof of double vaccination for me and girlfriend and have got a negative covid pcr test for our 15 year old daughter (children under 12 don't need one) You have to fill out passenger locator form before you fly too.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: August 2, 2021, 04:43:06 pm »
Is that the place near Skipton mate? I had a look - looks really nice, but the prices are mad. Literally worse than the cost of going to Greece or somewhere. Will look again next year though, because it does look really nice.

No, this one was for White Cross Bay, which is on Windermere. Managed to snag a lodge we stayed in 2 years ago for the 4 days after Christmas there for £700 last week, so made up with that, its a lovely little lodge with a hottub.

The one near Skipton is lovely, we've stayed in both the Morland and Malham lodges there, the hot tubs are nice and private too  8)
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #302 on: August 8, 2021, 09:20:19 pm »
Just got back from a week away in Scotland.
Booked a static caravan just outside Edinburgh for £850, and used it as a base to go to different places while we were there.
Loved every minute of it; can't wait to go back there next year and do a bit of panning while we're there.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #303 on: August 9, 2021, 09:16:22 am »
Just got back from a week away in Scotland.
Booked a static caravan just outside Edinburgh for £850, and used it as a base to go to different places while we were there.
Loved every minute of it; can't wait to go back there next year and do a bit of panning while we're there.

It's a great City but if you go back just keep going,follow the coastline all the way up and back down the other side.

The scenery and beaches will take your breath away.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: August 9, 2021, 09:53:48 am »
Still nothing on my San Francisco flight which is scheduled for five weeks time.

The flight number hasn't operated since March 2020 and the ongoing ban on arrivals from the UK/EU means I'd be surprised if it changes any time soon.

A friend had a booking with the same airline (Aer Lingus) to the US which was due to depart at the weekend. He heard from them about 6-7 weeks ago that it was cancelled and received a full refund within a fortnight.

Hoping they make a decision soon and let me know then I can put a backup plan into operation.

Current thought is Croatia. Rates are exceptionally low there so there is very little change of it being added to the UK's red list. You need a negative PCR test (about £50-£60 each) to get in which isn't too much of a hassle as I live a short drive from Manchester airport where they're set up drive through testing with results via the post in 48 hours.

Booking flights to Croatia leaving on Thursday are still around £120 return so demand must be low. I'm looking at September so reckon they'd potentially be even cheaper then given that the kids are back in school.

Thinking of flying into Split, hiring a car for two weeks, driving the coastline for nice beaches and perhaps a visit inland to Plitvice Lakes National Park.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: August 9, 2021, 11:12:04 am »
It's a great City but if you go back just keep going,follow the coastline all the way up and back down the other side.

I know quite a few people that have done the 500 route recently, it's something I'd definitely love to do some day too.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #306 on: August 9, 2021, 11:25:36 am »

I went to Scotland for the first time just 2 years ago and will be moving up there in a couple of months. We did the run from Edinburgh to the north coast last year for a long weekend away, and this year went across to Oban. Beautiful areas.

Speaking of a few months time, in 7 weeks I'm supposed to be going to Greece for a fortnight. Athens and Evia...

Athens is non-negotiable as the Mrs hasn't seen her family for over 18 months, but I think we might now look for an island in a different direction.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: August 9, 2021, 03:09:08 pm »

I'm the same with TUI, we are booked to go to Egypt mid October but it remains on the Red List, i would rather it was just cancelled so we can sort something else out.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: August 9, 2021, 04:04:40 pm »
I'm the same with TUI, we are booked to go to Egypt mid October but it remains on the Red List, i would rather it was just cancelled so we can sort something else out.

If there was just me and the missus, we'd take our laptops and fly on to somewhere like Malta and just do 10 days WFH there. Can't do that with two kids
Jurgen YNWA

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: August 9, 2021, 04:20:39 pm »
If there was just me and the missus, we'd take our laptops and fly on to somewhere like Malta and just do 10 days WFH there. Can't do that with two kids

We've got 2 kids with us too, its just a hassle i dont need, but the wife is desperate for a holiday and at this point, any holiday will do

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #310 on: August 9, 2021, 05:29:48 pm »
at this point, any holiday will do

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7qYL_KT06-U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7qYL_KT06-U</a>
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: August 9, 2021, 10:34:47 pm »

I'm due to go to Benidorm in November for a piss-up weekend for a close mate's 50th. There's a group of 6 of us who've been mates since early teens (some of us back to infant school days). We straddle 2 school years so over 14 months, we all reach 50.

The lad who's organised this is the social animal of the group (alternatively, the pisshead who's never grown up) and originally it was supposed to be just the 6 of us but he's thrown it open to more of his mates and there's now about 14 going in all.

He's got nothing on the agenda apart from "get up in the afternoon, get on the piss, grab a burger or KFC, back on the piss, club, hotel, repeat"

Sounds like a fucking nightmare to me. But I felt duty bound (reckon I'm going to be back in my room by midnight, chilling on the balcony)

As a group we usually steer clear of politics, but since Brexit and usually through the WhatsApp group, there've been a couple of flashpoints. Came to a head during the Euros with me reacting to nationalist bollocks and probably going too far toward two of them (including the lad who's organised the benidorm trip). Relations have been strained since.

Was hoping it'd be cancelled due to Covid but that looks a forlorn hope. Even considering just cancelling, but that'd be ending some friendships.

Dilemma.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #312 on: August 10, 2021, 01:20:15 am »

I'm due to go to Benidorm in November for a piss-up weekend for a close mate's 50th. There's a group of 6 of us who've been mates since early teens (some of us back to infant school days). We straddle 2 school years so over 14 months, we all reach 50.

The lad who's organised this is the social animal of the group (alternatively, the pisshead who's never grown up) and originally it was supposed to be just the 6 of us but he's thrown it open to more of his mates and there's now about 14 going in all.

He's got nothing on the agenda apart from "get up in the afternoon, get on the piss, grab a burger or KFC, back on the piss, club, hotel, repeat"

Sounds like a fucking nightmare to me. But I felt duty bound (reckon I'm going to be back in my room by midnight, chilling on the balcony)

As a group we usually steer clear of politics, but since Brexit and usually through the WhatsApp group, there've been a couple of flashpoints. Came to a head during the Euros with me reacting to nationalist bollocks and probably going too far toward two of them (including the lad who's organised the benidorm trip). Relations have been strained since.

Was hoping it'd be cancelled due to Covid but that looks a forlorn hope. Even considering just cancelling, but that'd be ending some friendships.

Dilemma.
That sounds like my idea of a nightmare of a holiday.

Is there any plausible excuse you can make in order to pull out without some of the others getting the hump?

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #313 on: August 10, 2021, 08:10:39 am »
Get pinged a few days before departure I’d say.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: August 10, 2021, 08:16:04 am »
Get pinged a few days before departure I’d say.

That's what I'd do.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #315 on: August 10, 2021, 08:17:23 am »
Each summer, we have a long weekend in a lodge somewhere with my old parents (mum has Alzheimers as well now). Didn't go last year for obvious reasons, but the couple years before we went to the Yorkshire Dales. Beautiful area and the complex was lovely and peaceful with plush lodges, but we'd exhausted the main things to do there. So we tried another site operated by the same company on the outskirts of the Lakes.

I suspect Covid played a part, with people tending to holiday in the UK this year, but it was a really different vibe. And not in a good way. We have kids and it's not that long ago they were legging it round everywhere, but this was mad at times.

And lots of loud younger couples treating it like a Benidorm piss-up.

Hoping it gets back to normal next year.

On the plus side, the weather was great. Sunday me and the kids were swimming in Ullswater.

Get over there, arrange to meet him in the hotel bar first thing, show up wearing a pair of clowns shoes, take a massive run up and volley him in the goolies. Job done, holiday sorted, air cleared.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: August 10, 2021, 08:23:11 am »
Get over there, arrange to meet him in the hotel bar first thing, show up wearing a pair of clowns shoes, take a massive run up and volley him in the goolies. Job done, holiday sorted, air cleared.

;D
Jurgen YNWA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: August 10, 2021, 08:26:08 am »
Do you need to print off the passenger locator forms?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #318 on: August 10, 2021, 08:29:14 am »
Do you need to print off the passenger locator forms?

I know a family who went to Greece recently and the husband forgot to include his wife’s holiday locator form and she wasn’t allowed to fly. Had to go home, sort it out and book another flight and meet the rest of the family out there a day or two later. Oops!

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: August 10, 2021, 12:16:05 pm »
I know quite a few people that have done the 500 route recently, it's something I'd definitely love to do some day too.

Though I've read that the locals haven't taken too kindly to the sudden increase in tourist numbers and the popularity of route 500.

Those that aren't working in the tourist or hospitality industry presumably.