Author Topic: Codemasters' F1 series  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Codemasters' F1 series
« on: August 22, 2018, 02:56:54 pm »
Out on Friday. Anyone else getting?

This was announced today and it's brilliant news...

http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/08/getting-ready-to-race-with-f1-2018s-multiplayer-super-licence/

I would love to race online more, but on the current and previous games it's impossible to get into a lobby without some dickheads ramming you off the track. Looks like that won't be an issue this time around!

« Last Edit: August 4, 2020, 08:43:50 pm by John C »

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Re: Codemasters F1 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 03:51:55 pm »
Out on Friday. Anyone else getting?

This was announced today and it's brilliant news...

http://blog.codemasters.com/f1/08/getting-ready-to-race-with-f1-2018s-multiplayer-super-licence/

I would love to race online more, but on the current and previous games it's impossible to get into a lobby without some dickheads ramming you off the track. Looks like that won't be an issue this time around!

The Gran Turismo Sport system seems to work reasonably well, at least to one without much prior experience of online racing.  I've blamed myself for more mishaps than I have others!

---

Incidently, ordered this from Simply Games and I've had the postage confirmation today.  Hopefully this will be waiting for me tomorrow.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 04:39:23 pm »
Get im picking it up Friday. Don't know wether to get it for the ps4 pro or x1x

Need to find out if there are any differences to resolution

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:08:36 pm »
After telling myself I’ll wait, and that I’ve got too many other games to get through first, I caved yesterday and pre-ordered it.

Reviews so far are good and I really enjoyed 17. Thinking of trying to do better than Alonso at getting a McLaren some wins....
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 05:50:47 pm »
After telling myself I’ll wait, and that I’ve got too many other games to get through first, I caved yesterday and pre-ordered it.

Reviews so far are good and I really enjoyed 17. Thinking of trying to do better than Alonso at getting a McLaren some wins....

I was the same, I'm the same every year truth be told but now I have my computers upstairs i reckon I'll be able to dedicate more time to it as I won't have the kids or the missus bugging me :)

I'm also gonna go McLaren I think

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 10:22:30 pm »
Enjoying this.  It's a neat upgrade on the previous game.  Did a few time trial laps on Albert Park in the Force India, and then jumped into Sauber and did 100% FP1.

I typically end up only really using the Time Trial mode on this - think I get too hung up on being 'ready' for the Career mode, but I'm just going to dive in this time and try to pick up some of the details along the way.

The Engineer, added last year (or 2016), is good feature and I like the R&D tree.  Think I said on the previous page though that I think a Race Engineer to support with car setup is the next thing that should be looked at.  The media thing is a nice gimmick, but I think a Race Engineer could really help a people get into this and improve.  F1CE - way back in 2006 - had a really good model.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 01:43:09 pm »
Had a little go this morning. It's good, only did a quick practice, 1 quali and the race in the Renault. Steering seems a little light and sensitive to me (xb1 controller) so I'll increase the deadzone a touch. Also the AI is more aggressive and if you leave even an inch they'll go for it so always leave enough room otherwise there's a good chance they'll take you out, happened to me twice already.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 11:15:34 pm »
Is there a way of having all 20 drivers down the side of the screen when racing? Instead of just you, the one in front and one behind.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 11:28:52 pm »
Don't think so.

I've just done a full weekend at Melbourne. Came 12th with Sauber. Leclerc was 13th.

Tell you something though, could never of done that without flashbacks, the AI are fucking mental.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 09:39:36 am »
Done my second gp and came 10th so made up with that.

AI didn't seem so bad round Bahrain, wonder if it's because it's a wider track

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 5, 2018, 08:06:58 pm »
Really enjoying this so far. Started off as McLaren. I’ve got the AI set to a level that seems to work. I’m always 0.5 within my teammate either side.

Won in Melbourne from P12 but it was down to a strategy glitch that always been present in these games. It was raining and my Inters would last the 50% distance after dropping from full wets on Lap 10 but all other cars stopped for another set of Inters with about 12 laps left.

Got P7 in Bahrain from P13 on the grid with lots of wheel to wheel stuff. The AI is definately more aggressive in this game!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #11 on: September 5, 2018, 09:05:48 pm »
Don't think so.

I've just done a full weekend at Melbourne. Came 12th with Sauber. Leclerc was 13th.

Tell you something though, could never of done that without flashbacks, the AI are fucking mental.

I qualified 18th in mine, despite being up in P7 during FP3 (also Sauber).  Had a decent start but picked up an 'amber' front wing bump during the first lap, then took of an end plate on lap 2 - pitted early onto softs to go long - when the others started putting I realised my pace had brought me right into their tail and I was back in the race (albeit 19th).

Then I lost it coming out of the chicane...

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 6, 2018, 06:59:03 am »
Bit of a dilemma, I'm at Baku now and it appears I'm too quick so I might restart the championship and knock the AI up a bit. The only issue is that in the wet I'm literally the slowest on the grid. With assists off and the pad I just can't control the car under braking or accelerating, but I don't want to switch them on as it's not a realistic experience for me.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: September 6, 2018, 07:53:52 am »
Bit of a dilemma, I'm at Baku now and it appears I'm too quick so I might restart the championship and knock the AI up a bit. The only issue is that in the wet I'm literally the slowest on the grid. With assists off and the pad I just can't control the car under braking or accelerating, but I don't want to switch them on as it's not a realistic experience for me.

I am the complete opposite, I dominate in the wet but in the dry I struggle on a number of tracks. I find wet weather quite forgiving of mistakes in that I can just get my balls out and go and if I’m slow in parts due to mistakes the time has already been made up from being ballsy in other areas.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 6, 2018, 12:30:50 pm »
Not started a career yet as haven’t had a lot of time on it and want to test a few tracks out to set the AI speed properly. Can’t remember what I had it on last year.

From what I’ve played so far though it seems good, I’ve been playing in cockpit view with the halo pillar removed as it blocks too much of the view otherwise. Suspect in the real world the drivers end up not really noticing it but on a screen it’s always in the way.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 6, 2018, 01:07:18 pm »
I play it with the pillar on the halo. Trying to see the markers on the track acclimatisation test is ridiculous  ;D

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 6, 2018, 01:20:19 pm »
I always use the camera view that’s behind the drivers head but offset slightly

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 09:13:00 am »
I always use the camera view that’s behind the drivers head but offset slightly

Yeah, same here.  On proper sim games like PC2 and the like I play full cockpit view, no hud etc, but for this I like the tv feel of the offset t-cam.

As for this year's game, I've only done one full race weekend in career mode so far (full practice, quali, 100% race distance) but so far I'm really enjoying the experience.  I'm playing with a pad (wheel just broke) so can't comment on the force feedback and the like, but with that said and even at this stage I deffo feel that it's a much better game than last year.  The racing is tense, close stuff, which is exactly what I want from a racing game (chewed gum the whole race to avoid lockjaw, haha). 

The only minor downsides so far are that the a.i is pretty psychotic at times and 'claire the reporter', who MUST work for Skysports given her wind-up questions.  I touched wheels once the entire race (with Sainz, who cut across my line) and had to defend that in the post-race.  Codies really should have put in a Commander Shepard 'punch the reporter in that face' option. Oh, and Anthony Davidson's robotic delivery of every line he has grates a bit.  I wish that they'd been able to get Brundle.  Overall though, great game so far. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 10:35:25 am by Darren G »

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 08:11:44 pm »
If anyone playing this also has PSVR I highly recommend playing it with the headset. It’s obviously not proper VR but in cockpit mode it gives a really good feel for actually being on the track.

I found I was turning in for the apex more naturally than playing on the tv and it made the speed of the cars feel better. Not sure I could do a full race weekend / career like that but it’s a good option occasionally.

Might try a test to see if it affects my lap times in any way?!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #19 on: August 4, 2020, 04:23:44 pm »
Doesn't seem worth starting a new thread, so I'll latch onto this latest one.

Anyone picked up the 2020 edition of the game?  Includes the full F1 calendar as it was intended prior to Covid-19 (so including Vietnam and the Netherlands), as well as a new team manager mode.  Seemed to get good reviews.

I tend to spend most of my time in the Time Trial mode on these games, so it's always good to have people to compete against - anyone on here playing on PS4?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 4, 2020, 05:45:01 pm »
Got it a few weeks back. First F1 game i’ve ever played and love the my team mode.

My brother can’t get off it either.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
Re: Codemasters' F1 series
« Reply #21 on: August 9, 2020, 02:47:56 pm »
F1 2018 is free on Humble Bundle

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 10:15:11 pm »
My Team mode is good fun, going from pretty much the shittest car on the grid to blowing everyone away and noticing how much better your car drives from year to year is nice.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 09:54:46 am »
Codemasters were bought by EA earlier this year, after an earlier bid from Take-Two was trumped.  I don't really play any EA titles, so I'm not sure what that might mean moving forwards.

Anyhow, the new game is due to be released Friday 16th July - it will feature the stand-in circuits Imola & Portimao as well as the new circuit in Jeddah.  The stand-ins didn't feature in the 2020 game, due to the time required to prepare & implement the circuit designs into the game - I imagine the same will apply for an similar issues this season (i.e. expect Canada rather than Turkey, even with this week's announcement).

Time Trial has always been my go-to mode on these games, and I used to love the Imola circuit back in the days of the Studio Liverpool game days - looking forward to getting back to it after all these years!

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 10:32:39 am »
For some reason the track changes to Barcelona and Melbourne aren't going to be in it. Quite poor

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 10:46:31 am »
For some reason the track changes to Barcelona and Melbourne aren't going to be in it. Quite poor

My understanding was that they’ve gathered their data during F1 events. Recorded car sounds etc. As we haven’t been to either circuit yet and the game is out soon that’s to be expected.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2021, 11:17:06 am »

Haven't heard about the changes to Barcelona before, and did I get double-done by what I thought was an April Fools' with Melbourne...?  They're ironing out the first of the Lakeside Drive chicanes...?

(Will drag this over to the F1 thread instead)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:20:09 am by jackh »

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2021, 11:23:39 am »
I find this game impossible to play, I just can't stay on the track and that's with the maximum amount of help the game can give. Although if it's going to be on EA Play on the Xbox I might just give it a go again

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2021, 11:49:14 am »
I find this game impossible to play, I just can't stay on the track and that's with the maximum amount of help the game can give. Although if it's going to be on EA Play on the Xbox I might just give it a go again

The latest one, or just F1 games more generally?

What problem are you having?  I imagine spinning when accelerating on the exit of slow corners is the most common issue, unless it's something more to to with steering sensitivity...?

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2021, 11:51:39 am »
My understanding was that they’ve gathered their data during F1 events. Recorded car sounds etc. As we haven’t been to either circuit yet and the game is out soon that’s to be expected.

and if that's the case they should find an alternate way of doing things.

the official f1 game shouldn't be out of date before it's even released. last year was totally understandable given the circumstances though obviously.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2021, 11:58:47 am »
The latest one, or just F1 games more generally?

What problem are you having?  I imagine spinning when accelerating on the exit of slow corners is the most common issue, unless it's something more to to with steering sensitivity...?

Just in general. I think I'm just crap. I spin on straights as well :lmao

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2023, 11:54:13 am »
F123 is set for realise across various platforms on 16th June.

Anyone getting this? I skipped 2022, so this will be the first one I've played on the PS5 and on a 4k TV. Looking forward to it!

From what I've seen, the physics, traction and kerbs all look much better/realistic on F1 23.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 11:55:46 am by jackh »

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2023, 01:49:31 pm »
Yeah I’ve pre-ordered. 22 was definitely an improvement on 21. They’ve put two ‘deep dive’ videos on YouTube which you can watch. The first covers more the racing simulation side and the second is all that story mode crap which I won’t be doing any of.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2023, 02:01:01 pm »
If it's any good I might pick it up from cdkeys or something. As every game is largely the same I should be able to import the my team livery I made/ripped off.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2023, 02:30:42 pm »
Bit of a gripe of mine with this series over recent years is the way that the development scenarios & challenges that you complete during Free Practice sessions in the career mode are unavailable when simply playing in standard GP/Championship mode. These are good exercises that can help you learn, plan, & strategise, and it's a shame they're restricted to just one more.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2023, 02:42:48 pm »
I feel like last year's game was a real setback in terms of how the cars controlled. The traction in particular was so off, it wasn't great in 21 (even Norris played it and said the traction in the game is nothing like an F1 car, in the sense that it's overly sensitive so for some reason in 22' they timesed that by a thousand) I just don't have confidence in the devs when they do stuff like that.

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2023, 01:04:44 pm »
Anyone got this? Downloaded it Saturday, as it was on sale.

Always looking for new names to compete with in the Time Trial list...