Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 869543 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #8240 on: August 19, 2021, 08:34:01 am »
gone through every app and changed permission

also just decided to use ultra battery saver overnight

seems to have finally done the job as only about 2% was used. Thanks all for your help

good people

there was also an update yesterday. i charged my phone to about 95% after it. that was about 10am yesterday. After moderate enough use here and there its still at 63%
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8241 on: August 19, 2021, 11:08:50 am »
backup for whatsapp is once a month

It's whatever you set it to. Mine is daily.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8242 on: August 19, 2021, 11:46:47 am »
It's whatever you set it to. Mine is daily.
yep. to be honest when i replied about that it was more to do with how much battery whatsapp was using.

Battery is great now. only dropped 40% since yesterday morning

I was actually trying to get my mrs to buy that phone, she is insisting she stays on samsung. She does use her phone a fair bit but is now charging it about 3 times a day. I always joke that i dont think the phone has ever been over 11%

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8243 on: August 25, 2021, 02:45:54 pm »
Thanks for your help the other week on the phone - somehow I've inherited an old iPhone 8 Plus so in a way that sorts the issue, but I came very close to binning Apple off for good.  :wave
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8244 on: September 5, 2021, 10:53:21 am »
back to this. have the phone a couple of months now

lately i have noticed when i go to bed i turn off wifi, bluetooth, mobile data etc

no usually the phone only uses about 3% while i sleep. Its now about 15% even though i dont touch it.

I wonder is it the automatic brightness? I have turned off a lot of permissions and display options but no joy. Hopefully a bug they can fix soon like the spotify issue where it constantly showed up in the lockscreen
it's a happening again this week

Now matter if I use ultra battery saver or not I lose 10-18% overnight

Really annoying

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8245 on: September 5, 2021, 10:58:19 am »
I think a hard reset is needed. And then a software update before installing any app.

Maybe some process is running in the BG despite everything. It seems to bizzare that something like this happens even in ultra battery saver mode.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8246 on: September 5, 2021, 01:42:16 pm »
Bit if I do a reset so I lose contacts/pics/messages etc?

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8247 on: September 5, 2021, 01:59:40 pm »
You can back them up.
Contacts and Pics are usually backed up to google drive. But this option has to be enabled. Or you could run a manual backup if not.
Messages as in Whatsapp? Yes they are backed up. If not, you could manually run a backup and then do the reset. Normal SMS, no. They arent backed up.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8248 on: September 5, 2021, 05:40:16 pm »
Ok sound thanks. I'll try later

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8249 on: September 5, 2021, 09:23:28 pm »
Someone on youtube was mentioning that the 120Hz display sometimes sucks power. I cant find that video anymore. They also said that Xiaomi were aware of this issue and that they would be update it on the 12.5 update for the note 10 Pro.

But that wouldnt be applicable here as Paul says that the power is depleted overnight. It simply doesnt make sense. It could be the "always on" display, it could be that WhatsApp backs up overnight, it could be anything.

One last resort before a hard reset would be to turn off all data, wifi bluetooth, NFC and all such power sucking peripherals and then check if it still happens. If that happens, it could be the always on display.

But the 10 pro is a brilliant phone. It was voted the best phone of all the launches in the first half of 2021. It convinced me to buy the Note 10S.

Note: With whatsapp backup, it does suck some juice. I usually only backup the text and not the media. I also clear off all unwanted groups of their messages. My whatsapp backup size reduced from 7gb to 300mb. It to backup 7gb every night, is a significant effort.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8250 on: September 5, 2021, 11:49:24 pm »
I think someone posted asking for opinions on the phone but seem to have deleted it.

NFC WiFi Bluetooth and data are always off overnight. 60hz display is used and always on display in don't think is the issue. I'll do a reset tomorrow

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8251 on: September 7, 2021, 06:20:48 am »
Xiaomi backup is pretty good, restores all my calls, texts, pics, layout, icon theme etc.

(I dunno why anyone would need to back up WhatsApp daily!)

Factory Reset is underrated, everyone loves their phone when new, the software is a reason why. Xiaomi has it in Settings under Backup I think. I was gonna recommend clear cache but that involves going into a recovery layer and frankly if your backup is sorted you've got nothing to lose from a Factory Reset. You can do it then immediately update to latest software

There's further options. You might wanna Google Developer Options for your phone. On Xiaomis with MIUI you find the MIUI version number in settings > About Phone and tap seven times.

There's options in here to change (enable) the WiFi scan throttling and stop it "Always using mobile data" on WiFi. Those being switched off on your blower already might make these steps irrelevant but there's also more advanced logging to help figure this out.

Turn off MIUI Optimization - you'll thank me later

But yeah, if you notice it after a factory reset - unlikely, but we should do some stats digging. Wouldn't mind a screenshot of your battery usage stats - you should be able to see the biggest drains by Ranking. Screen should be top, no exceptions. For me, both the System and Google Services are under 2% -  your milage may vary but something is eating that power

There are an absolute ton of options from this point though let's park it for now..
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/improving-battery-life-on-miui-12.4139913/
« Last Edit: September 7, 2021, 06:30:39 am by ToneLa »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8252 on: September 7, 2021, 11:56:53 am »
factory reset is on

last night was another 10%+ mobile battery wise but i did leave on data. It was no different to the ultra saver lately, just have fiddle around with some permissions from apps etc

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8253 on: September 8, 2021, 08:16:11 am »
yous must be sick of hearing about it at this stage

anyway i tried the factory reset, just turned off all data going to bed, only 1% used

thanks for all the advice

good people

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8254 on: September 8, 2021, 11:44:38 pm »
Been using an iPhone X since about 1 year after its release but I am looking for a new phone now after its picked up too much wear and tear.

What features does the X lack that all the latest phones have? Each year seems to just be battery life improvements, bigger screens and more cameras! I'd love to know what features I'm missing out on.

I'm open to any brand at this stage as long as its reliable

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #8255 on: September 9, 2021, 06:34:57 am »
If you have had an apple, best stay with them as the migration is a real pain up your butt. Apple has designed the process to be as complicated as possible. I would advise the apple 12 in that case. Has a decent camera and battery lasts a day and half under nominal to moderate usage for my wife. She wanted the 12 pro but the difference was just too much.

But if you are ready to bin the apple environment and have a fresh start over with the android, then xiaomi, one plus and to a lesser extent, samsung, are pretty decent. I personally have a redmi note 10s that was released 3 months ago, and I am loving it. The google phone that was recently launched is also pretty good if you want stock android. Pretty much your choice of budget there.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8256 on: September 9, 2021, 10:54:40 am »
I love Xiaomi and I'll lurk this thread helping with Xiaomi issues (ordered the Mix 4 from china!)

If you've got a blank slate though my go to phone site is Gsmarena.com

Put in what you want from a phone and it'll show you what matches

https://m.gsmarena.com/search.php3?

In terms of features. Think we're in a stage where display tech is changing.

I like Xiaomi as the Mix 4 will be my second Xiaomi phone with wireless charging. Plus 120w wired is ridiculous. Ultra wide capable camera lenses seem all the rage, but the Mix 4 is notchless and has a camera under the display. I don't think the foldables are worth the money yet. I wouldn't wait for a great tech increase as don't see one right around the corner

The thing about leaving Apple behind is the choice. You can find basically anything you want with Android. Whereas you're at the mercy of Apple now.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8257 on: September 9, 2021, 12:32:19 pm »
If you have had an apple, best stay with them as the migration is a real pain up your butt. Apple has designed the process to be as complicated as possible. I would advise the apple 12 in that case. Has a decent camera and battery lasts a day and half under nominal to moderate usage for my wife. She wanted the 12 pro but the difference was just too much.

But if you are ready to bin the apple environment and have a fresh start over with the android, then xiaomi, one plus and to a lesser extent, samsung, are pretty decent. I personally have a redmi note 10s that was released 3 months ago, and I am loving it. The google phone that was recently launched is also pretty good if you want stock android. Pretty much your choice of budget there.

I'm happy to bin Apple if necessary. In fact the only thing I need to backup really is my contacts (And even that needs a clean up). What I could do is wait for the 13 to come out (Should be soon, right?) and hopefully pick up a 12 second hand that all the Apple fan boys will be offloading to fund their 13.

I love Xiaomi and I'll lurk this thread helping with Xiaomi issues (ordered the Mix 4 from china!)

If you've got a blank slate though my go to phone site is Gsmarena.com

Put in what you want from a phone and it'll show you what matches

https://m.gsmarena.com/search.php3?

In terms of features. Think we're in a stage where display tech is changing.

I like Xiaomi as the Mix 4 will be my second Xiaomi phone with wireless charging. Plus 120w wired is ridiculous. Ultra wide capable camera lenses seem all the rage, but the Mix 4 is notchless and has a camera under the display. I don't think the foldables are worth the money yet. I wouldn't wait for a great tech increase as don't see one right around the corner

The thing about leaving Apple behind is the choice. You can find basically anything you want with Android. Whereas you're at the mercy of Apple now.
Great resource that website. Thanks! Wish it had an option to filter for Unlock type i.e Facial recogintion / screen integrated fingerprint / standard fingerprint.

Out of interest which website did you use to order your Xiaomi Mix 4 from?

Thanks

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #8258 on: September 9, 2021, 12:40:34 pm »
I'm happy to bin Apple if necessary. In fact the only thing I need to backup really is my contacts (And even that needs a clean up). What I could do is wait for the 13 to come out (Should be soon, right?) and hopefully pick up a 12 second hand that all the Apple fan boys will be offloading to fund their 13.

Next week I think
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8259 on: September 9, 2021, 05:22:56 pm »
Great resource that website. Thanks! Wish it had an option to filter for Unlock type i.e Facial recogintion / screen integrated fingerprint / standard fingerprint.

Out of interest which website did you use to order your Xiaomi Mix 4 from?

Thanks

Liaow.com, a Chinese vendor, but they're having trouble shipping anything here right now. I can wait!

I don't recommend doing this at all, just wait..  I was always gonna root and use custom OS on it. Not worth the hassle for 99% of people

Gsmarena reviews though are tremendously reliable. Especially their long term reviews...

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #8260 on: September 14, 2021, 11:10:35 am »
Next week I think

Announced today. Released usually 10 days later.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8261 on: September 15, 2021, 11:39:27 pm »
I can upgrade next month. The options seem to be very few for phones that I won’t have to pay much for. The mi 11 and s21 seem the most logical as they are the same price and I was all for getting the mi 11 until reading about the battery not lasting as long as I’d like. Does anyone have one of these?

Was thinking of going back to apple but the big notch really puts me off as well as the screen being a lot smaller than my p30 pro (s21 is also 6.1 inch)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:42:03 pm by MBL? »

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8262 on: September 17, 2021, 11:53:07 am »
Next week I think

Todays the day. Pre-orders of new Iphone start today.

I've never had a new phone on day 1 and have been a committed iphone person for years so I think today will be the day

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8263 on: September 17, 2021, 03:48:04 pm »
Todays the day. Pre-orders of new Iphone start today.

I've never had a new phone on day 1 and have been a committed iphone person for years so I think today will be the day

Well not day one but yeah, ordered today with delivery next Friday

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8264 on: September 17, 2021, 04:54:43 pm »

What is your order status? Mine says on hold and i went through that Barclays upgrade thing.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #8265 on: September 17, 2021, 05:19:15 pm »

Going to upgrade when the Series 7 gets released, do it all in one go.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8266 on: September 17, 2021, 07:17:57 pm »
What is your order status? Mine says on hold and i went through that Barclays upgrade thing.

Mine says processing. Bought outright though.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8267 on: September 17, 2021, 08:01:11 pm »

I ordered one with big fuck off memory so will have to wait until early October

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8268 on: September 17, 2021, 08:19:22 pm »
I ordered one with big fuck off memory so will have to wait until early October

I’ll probably regret not getting the 1TB version but I think the 512gb one should be enough.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #8269 on: September 17, 2021, 08:25:01 pm »
I’ll probably regret not getting the 1TB version but I think the 512gb one should be enough.

It was a $200 difference, so I thought fuck it, why not. Mine have gotten filled before with podcasts and videos of the family. Pretty sure I will not max out my iphone ever again.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8270 on: September 22, 2021, 11:34:01 am »
Yesss, my ceramic black notchless Mix 4 has shipped

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #8271 on: October 9, 2021, 03:25:07 pm »
I am coming to the end of my contract with vodafone on my present iphone 6. I really can't make my mind up about what to do next, the two phones they offered me I wasn't happy with. I could keep this one as I own it and go onto a SIM only deal. But I am wondering for those who have had both iphones and galaxy samsungs which does everyone prefer? Are there any clear advantages over one or the other?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8272 on: October 9, 2021, 03:36:58 pm »
I am coming to the end of my contract with vodafone on my present iphone 6. I really can't make my mind up about what to do next, the two phones they offered me I wasn't happy with. I could keep this one as I own it and go onto a SIM only deal. But I am wondering for those who have had both iphones and galaxy samsungs which does everyone prefer? Are there any clear advantages over one or the other?

How invested are you in the Apple ecosystem? Do you have any other Apple products or subscriptions?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8273 on: October 9, 2021, 03:42:38 pm »
How invested are you in the Apple ecosystem? Do you have any other Apple products or subscriptions?

I have itunes and that was the big draw back in leaving apple. I have since read that you can use itunes on a samsung. The music is my only Apple subscription I don't own any other Apple device.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8274 on: October 9, 2021, 03:56:35 pm »
Well you can use it on any Android, not just Samsung.

The Samsung S series are pretty good. Or if you want Android without the Samsung softwares on top of it, you could wait for the new Pixels launching in like 10 days. Depends on your budget really. You can't go wrong with either. And both Samsung and Google are promising 3-4 years of software and security updates as well. Pixel cameras and photo processing are better IMO

I haven't used any of the Chinese brands though but I hear they're more value for money, but I'm just too paranoid to use any of theirs  ;D

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8275 on: October 9, 2021, 04:01:58 pm »
Well you can use it on any Android, not just Samsung.

The Samsung S series are pretty good. Or if you want Android without the Samsung softwares on top of it, you could wait for the new Pixels launching in like 10 days. Depends on your budget really. You can't go wrong with either. And both Samsung and Google are promising 3-4 years of software and security updates as well. Pixel cameras and photo processing are better IMO

I haven't used any of the Chinese brands though but I hear they're more value for money, but I'm just too paranoid to use any of theirs  ;D

Thanks. To be honest I will hold out for a SIM only deal for twelve months and maybe have a good look around before deciding for definite. I was currently on a £20 deal for 18 months, never been one for the top range phones, completely out of my price range.  :o

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8276 on: October 9, 2021, 05:53:49 pm »
The Galaxy A52 is a very good midrange phone. Check that out whenever you do decide to buy one.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8277 on: October 9, 2021, 05:58:18 pm »
The Galaxy A52 is a very good midrange phone. Check that out whenever you do decide to buy one.

Thanks for that, I will do.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8278 on: October 10, 2021, 03:20:51 am »

I was looking at the A52 but am seriously thinking about moving away from Samsung and getting a Redmi Note 10 Pro,just as good a phone imo but £160 cheaper.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8279 on: October 11, 2021, 12:11:59 pm »
I was looking at the A52 but am seriously thinking about moving away from Samsung and getting a Redmi Note 10 Pro,just as good a phone imo but £160 cheaper.

Yep, the Chinese brands are usually always more value for money.

I don't know, I see things like this -- https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/lithuania-says-throw-away-chinese-phones-due-censorship-concerns-2021-09-21/ -- and just reinforces my belief not to buy any of their phones.

Not that I'm discouraging anyone from buying them, and yes all phones can be spied on, and yes I know I'm just being paranoid  ;D