Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1424726 times)

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Re: Chasing the Title, Chasing Manchester City
« Reply #280 on: November 4, 2018, 04:15:27 pm »
Ha! We'll win the league  on points not GD

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #281 on: November 4, 2018, 04:16:44 pm »
We’re not challenging Manchester City.... we’re challenging for top 4 again.
It’s so annoying that the times we have created a good team..... someone with Country or Oil money creates something better!!!
My biggest fear is we eventually loose  when he’s contract runs it’s course and he hasn’t quite got us that 19th title. Not because he’s not good enough but simply because there was s team that was just that little bit better.
This year we thought it would be us against Manchester City and then Chelsea and Arsenal have also improved greatly.
Because of 5is I’m finding it hard to enjoy the season so far....... we will all take points off each other and Manchester City will go on....... winning 4-1 at half time.... they will be 2 points ahead......at some point we’re going to lose.... and that’s 5 points and the way they’re playing it’s practically title over.
I’m 51.... supported Liverpool got 46 years and want this title more than anything in the world.... so fucking frustrating!!!
Before everyone goes mental and start to tell me to fuck off etc..... it’s jus5 how I’m feeling... I enjoyed last season because there was no title expectation and the champions League ‘journey’ was unexpected and spectacular!
This season I just can’t get excited because of the inevitability of Manchester City!!

Maybe I can just compartmentalise better. But I treat each game as it's own event. Enjoy it on it's own merits. The bigger picture is of course important but not to the extent that it is all you focus on. For me that is worrying about the fact you will die one day so much that you never actually live.

I love football. I love watching the game. Winning something at the end of it is very much a secondary thing for me. If I didn't enjoy watching the game, I wouldn't. Then winning something at the end wouldn't matter at all - because I wasn't part of it. So I try not to think about the league table at all really and just focus on the football. If somehow we didn't know the league table until a few games from the end of the season, maybe football fans would be a little easier going. Talk about football would be a little lighter. It would be more focused on football as a sport and shared enjoyment of it.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: November 4, 2018, 04:17:30 pm »
If you can't get excited about watching the side you've supported all of your life then seriously get a fucking grip or slap yourself.

Or just stop watching football.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: November 4, 2018, 04:18:49 pm »
The reality is, I think we could put up a season equal to or better than the invincibles season (90 points) and still finish the season a few game behind City. That's pretty insane.

For some, City have redefined what a good season is in the league. I saw someone on twitter stating the anything less than 100 points and we have failed this season. Because we have to reasonably expect City to do that and therefore the aim in the summer was to put together a side to at least match that.

The people who have unrealistic expectations will say that, people who think that this team should put away the 30 years of not winning the league and erasing that with ease.

I didn't expect us to win the league, I just expected us to be better. You don't go from finishing 4th to winning the league and improving by 30 points.

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #285 on: November 4, 2018, 05:14:37 pm »
It’s a long season. For city to be perfect for another season will be a challenge again and they are still likely to drop points. Things can change very quickly and city aren’t immune to that meaning they could implode, loose key players, become to confident leading to complacency etc... we are in November and plenty of football to play and enjoy.

We also haven’t had an easy run of games yet we have played all the top 6 bar United and Everton. This has meant we haven’t built up our confidence that comes from smashing those smaller teams which city have. It will come and I’m just enjoying the ride! Perhaps a few additions to the squad will help us move on and not only push city but actually force them to push us
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: November 4, 2018, 05:18:31 pm »
All we need to do is make it to March within a reasonable distance.
Before then, there is no point thinking about what may or may not happen.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: November 4, 2018, 05:19:04 pm »
Enjoy Liverpool, stop giving a fuck about City, or stop watching football cause you'll just end up toturing yourself.

We are unbeaten, doing really well, and the general feeling here is doom and gloom.

Stop giving a fuck about anyone else. All we can do is play our football. If that's enough that's enough, if it isn't we do the same thing season after season until it is.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #288 on: November 4, 2018, 05:41:30 pm »
Enjoy Liverpool, stop giving a fuck about City, or stop watching football cause you'll just end up toturing yourself.

We are unbeaten, doing really well, and the general feeling here is doom and gloom.

Stop giving a fuck about anyone else. All we can do is play our football. If that's enough that's enough, if it isn't we do the same thing season after season until it is.

A rather appropriate line for City all in all.

You're right of course, the season is yet to truly come alive anyway that will happen after this awful international shite is over. Then we can see just where everyone is, an uninterrupted run until Christmas. I can't wait.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: November 4, 2018, 06:01:01 pm »
Maybe I can just compartmentalise better. But I treat each game as it's own event. Enjoy it on it's own merits. The bigger picture is of course important but not to the extent that it is all you focus on. For me that is worrying about the fact you will die one day so much that you never actually live.

I love football. I love watching the game. Winning something at the end of it is very much a secondary thing for me. If I didn't enjoy watching the game, I wouldn't. Then winning something at the end wouldn't matter at all - because I wasn't part of it. So I try not to think about the league table at all really and just focus on the football. If somehow we didn't know the league table until a few games from the end of the season, maybe football fans would be a little easier going. Talk about football would be a little lighter. It would be more focused on football as a sport and shared enjoyment of it.
That is very articulately put, quite a tangle of emotions eased out and separated.
Still, during the actual games I hope you are a crazy ball of biased bouncing tensions. Unadulterated emotion, that is why I love loving Liverpool. It's the best way to do it. :)

« Last Edit: November 4, 2018, 06:03:20 pm by idontknow »
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: November 4, 2018, 06:37:36 pm »
Only getting around to posting a reply to this wonderful OP now. Lots of valuable food for thought there around expectations, and even though it was prompted by gripes in some quarters over a smaller than expected goals return from games against the likes of Huddersfield and, in particular, Cardiff (incidentally, lest we forget, beating that kind of team at all has often been beyond Liverpool sides, including this one e.g. 0-0 draws against West Brom and Stoke at home last season and a 0-1 defeat at Swansea, all of whom were relegated), it is perhaps especially relevant in the aftermath of last night’s game against the more challenging obstacle represented by Arsenal.

Yesterday’s result admittedly feels like a disappointment in the particular context of the team Liverpool are chasing and the challenge that represents. In winning the Premier League last season, Manchester City became the first team in the history of English football’s top flight to break 100 points. Take your Shanklys and Paisleys, your Fergusons and Busbys, your Revies and Chapmans, your Cloughs, Mourinhos and the rest, your champions of Europe, your double and treble winners — not one of them managed to reach 100 points in winning the English league championship. Furthermore, City scored 106 goals in the process. By way of context, Liverpool, regardless of division, have managed that feat just twice in over 125 years of existence (1895/96 and 2013/14). Alex Ferguson never managed it in over a quarter of a century. Arsenal’s “invincibles”? Not even close.

So as far as challenging Manchester City goes, a team that has been historically good statistically, we’re very much into uncharted territory here. On that, there is very little room for argument. From here, Jürgen Klopp’s men play 9 Premier League games before their visit to the Etihad early in the new year, including the return fixture against Arsenal and two huge local derbies against Everton and Manchester United, the latter coming hot on the heels of a couple of potentially pivotal European fixtures with the oil money...sorry, world-class talents...of Paris Saint-Germain and Carlo Ancelotti’s Napoli respectively. And it’s hard to shake the feeling that even if Liverpool were to win all 9 of them (which, to be clear, is a gargantuan task), they will remain these 2 points behind Manchester City going into that game, such is the relentlessness of Pep Guardiola’s results-machine.

However, the fact that a 1-1 draw at the Emirates can feel like such a disappointment is another clear statement of Liverpool’s progress. There was a time not so long ago where average performances there usually resulted in sound defeats, or sometimes draws snatched from the jaws of victory — a 2-0 lead there last December suddenly morphed into an error-strewn 2-3 deficit, for example. And a team managed by Unai Emery and comprising attacking talent like Alexandre Lacazette, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Mesut Özil (each of them signed for substantially more than Mo Salah, for example, and good enough to temporarily make them the second-highest scorers in the League as of yesterday) was never going to be easy pickings, especially on their home patch.

And yet the truth is that this was a game Liverpool could have had wrapped up by half-time with a competent linesman and an adjustment to the right of about six inches on Virgil Van Dijk’s header just before the break. The possession of the ball was theirs, but it seemed like the majority of the game-winning chances were Liverpool’s. What we should all try to remember after this game, or at least what I’m trying to remember, is that the process of winning a first League title in roughly three decades is a long-term thing. Whether it comes next May, or the following May, or the May after that, this is an evolving operation.

So when I look at a Liverpool midfield giving its team very little in the way of a platform for victory once again last night (not quite as bad as the Napoli game at the start of October, but some way off the level it needs to be hitting), I try to remember that Fabinho will almost certainly settle down eventually and become a key building block into the future, and also that both Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will return at some point and more than likely provide the necessary level of dynamism and creativity that was sorely lacking in this game. Not to mention the fact that between now and the start of the 2019/20 season, there will also be the matter of a couple of transfer windows for the manager to strengthen his squad as he sees fit, something he (in conjunction with Michael Edwards, of course) has proven to be quite adept at.

Personally, in the middle of this team's ongoing development, I wouldn’t be the least bit concerned about goal difference because in the unlikely event that it comes down to that, as it has so rarely done in the history of English football’s top flight (there are only six times as far as I can make out that the title was decided on goals scored, goal difference or goal average: 1923/24, 1949/50, 1952/53, 1964/65, 1988/89 and 2011/12), it will mean that the first job has been successfully accomplished. That job is to match City for points, and given that they achieved a total last season that the greatest sides in the history of English football never reached, I’m sure we would all take that if it was offered to us right now, especially since that team is unquestionably further along in its evolution than Klopp’s.

Furthermore, concentrating purely on goals scored under-sells the staggering progress Liverpool have achieved defensively this season, moving from 17 conceded in the first 11 games last year to 5 this time. Yet again, even with a couple of players below par (Alexander-Arnold for sure, arguably Fabinho), that defensive unit was the standout performer yesterday. 5 goals conceded in 11 games, which has included trips to Crystal Palace, Leicester, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal and the visit of Manchester City, is a scarcely believable return, even taking into account Liverpool's previous defensive improvement following the introductions of Van Dijk and Andy Robertson to the side around the turn of the year (and one of those goals was Alisson’s attempted Cruyff-turn gift at Leicester).

A combination of individual talent and collective excellence has suddenly made this team one of the toughest nuts to crack in European football, and make no mistake, that kind of obduracy has been proven time and time again to be very valuable in breeding the kind of consistency required to win trophies (and maintain a high goal difference).

Ferguson’s greatest Manchester United side was almost certainly the one which won him three league titles in a row from 2007—2009 and reached two European Cup finals, winning one. Yet they never got within 20 goals of City’s total from last season and in 2008/09, even with expensive attacking talent like Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov at their disposal, they scored 68. That team won 10 of its 38 League games 1-0. Add in three 0-0 draws, three 1-1 draws and their four defeats, and that’s 20 games out of 38 where they scored a single goal or less. Sometimes they won by battering teams, sometimes they leaned on a defence that went 1,334 minutes at one stage without conceding; either way, they ended the season as champions, on 90 points.

Would a similar total be enough for Liverpool to overhaul Manchester City this season? I would edge towards “no”, although it took a late goal against a relegation-threatened team for even a team as good as this one to hit 100 points last season, so it’s certainly not a given that they’ll do it again — 6-1 wins over Huddersfield and Southampton still only net you three points, after all. But the important thing is for Liverpool, chasing the kind of team that Ferguson arguably came across only once in 25 years as Manchester United boss (the similarly financially-doped Chelsea of the mid-2000’s), to stick to them like glue in terms of wins and points for as long as possible until they surpass them, whether that turns out to be over a period of months or years. If that approach sees the Reds coming up short on goal difference at some point, then it’s clearly an issue that will need to be addressed, but probably not until then, at least not as an urgency.

In the meantime, it’s a moot point until Liverpool match City for points over 38 games. That’s the main challenge here. But whatever ultimately happens, I’m confident that the only way Klopp’s face disappears from Pep’s rear-view mirror over the next 5 years and beyond is when the German finally pulls his Opel Mokka past his great rival on the Premier League Autobahn. Until then, Liverpool are built, and being built, to haunt the Spaniard’s every move. And after nearly three decades of futile efforts in this regard, that alone should be cause for excitement.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: November 4, 2018, 06:43:08 pm »

Good post. You've approached it from an existential point of view, to add, all you've said there is very important to do so that in analysis, you're able to completely focus on the substance of an action. The points are a consequence of our organisation, choices, the automatisms from those choices; in practice the game is a collection of thousands of decisions, actions per player, per game. You analyse all these things, get a good read on the level of these things, you can tell the future.

The table isn't even real (I know you're going to quote this redcafe, quote away!), the substance on the pitch is real. Looking at that, in some respects, mostly in terms of individual quality and an overall solidity, we're doing ok. Yet, there are questions about the cohesion of our attacking, the intensity and execution frequency of the high press, the organisation of the Salah - Trent flank and other points. At this juncture, the performance level needs to improve on certain things, and that would be the case even if we had more points. On the other hand, the positives about our deeper defensive organisation, individual performances would still be there even if we had less points. These things are what can anchor analysis, the emotions, the drama game by game, league table changes by week....meh.

Not just in football, but in other enterprises, truly visionary, excellent chairmen and owners would have no problem moving top execs on if they spotted a long term dip in the performance level even if the results were still all positive. The performance level is what Klopp and the team need to work on, and matters pertinent to that are completely open to criticism imo, regardless of where we are in the short term, whether that's at the top or the bottom of the race.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: November 4, 2018, 07:01:06 pm »
E2K, great post but you can forgot about Ox, we can't count on him for this season.

Offline Los back. Thanks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: November 4, 2018, 07:01:52 pm »
Only getting around to posting a reply to this wonderful OP now. Lots of valuable food for thought there around expectations, and even though it was prompted by gripes in some quarters over a smaller than expected goals return from games against the likes of Huddersfield and, in particular, Cardiff (incidentally, lest we forget, beating that kind of team at all has often been beyond Liverpool sides, including this one e.g. 0-0 draws against West Brom and Stoke at home last season and a 0-1 defeat at Swansea, all of whom were relegated), it is perhaps especially relevant in the aftermath of last night’s game against the more challenging obstacle represented by Arsenal.

Yesterday’s result admittedly feels like a disappointment in the particular context of the team Liverpool are chasing and the challenge that represents. In winning the Premier League last season, Manchester City became the first team in the history of English football’s top flight to break 100 points. Take your Shanklys and Paisleys, your Fergusons and Busbys, your Revies and Chapmans, your Cloughs, Mourinhos and the rest, your champions of Europe, your double and treble winners — not one of them managed to reach 100 points in winning the English league championship. Furthermore, City scored 106 goals in the process. By way of context, Liverpool, regardless of division, have managed that feat just twice in over 125 years of existence (1895/96 and 2013/14). Alex Ferguson never managed it in over a quarter of a century. Arsenal’s “invincibles”? Not even close.

So as far as challenging Manchester City goes, a team that has been historically good statistically, we’re very much into uncharted territory here. On that, there is very little room for argument. From here, Jürgen Klopp’s men play 9 Premier League games before their visit to the Etihad early in the new year, including the return fixture against Arsenal and two huge local derbies against Everton and Manchester United, the latter coming hot on the heels of a couple of potentially pivotal European fixtures with the oil money...sorry, world-class talents...of Paris Saint-Germain and Carlo Ancelotti’s Napoli respectively. And it’s hard to shake the feeling that even if Liverpool were to win all 9 of them (which, to be clear, is a gargantuan task), they will remain these 2 points behind Manchester City going into that game, such is the relentlessness of Pep Guardiola’s results-machine.

However, the fact that a 1-1 draw at the Emirates can feel like such a disappointment is another clear statement of Liverpool’s progress. There was a time not so long ago where average performances there usually resulted in sound defeats, or sometimes draws snatched from the jaws of victory — a 2-0 lead there last December suddenly morphed into an error-strewn 2-3 deficit, for example. And a team managed by Unai Emery and comprising attacking talent like Alexandre Lacazette, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Mesut Özil (each of them signed for substantially more than Mo Salah, for example, and good enough to temporarily make them the second-highest scorers in the League as of yesterday) was never going to be easy pickings, especially on their home patch.

And yet the truth is that this was a game Liverpool could have had wrapped up by half-time with a competent linesman and an adjustment to the right of about six inches on Virgil Van Dijk’s header just before the break. The possession of the ball was theirs, but it seemed like the majority of the game-winning chances were Liverpool’s. What we should all try to remember after this game, or at least what I’m trying to remember, is that the process of winning a first League title in roughly three decades is a long-term thing. Whether it comes next May, or the following May, or the May after that, this is an evolving operation.

So when I look at a Liverpool midfield giving its team very little in the way of a platform for victory once again last night (not quite as bad as the Napoli game at the start of October, but some way off the level it needs to be hitting), I try to remember that Fabinho will almost certainly settle down eventually and become a key building block into the future, and also that both Naby Keita and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will return at some point and more than likely provide the necessary level of dynamism and creativity that was sorely lacking in this game. Not to mention the fact that between now and the start of the 2019/20 season, there will also be the matter of a couple of transfer windows for the manager to strengthen his squad as he sees fit, something he (in conjunction with Michael Edwards, of course) has proven to be quite adept at.

Personally, in the middle of this team's ongoing development, I wouldn’t be the least bit concerned about goal difference because in the unlikely event that it comes down to that, as it has so rarely done in the history of English football’s top flight (there are only six times as far as I can make out that the title was decided on goals scored, goal difference or goal average: 1923/24, 1949/50, 1952/53, 1964/65, 1988/89 and 2011/12), it will mean that the first job has been successfully accomplished. That job is to match City for points, and given that they achieved a total last season that the greatest sides in the history of English football never reached, I’m sure we would all take that if it was offered to us right now, especially since that team is unquestionably further along in its evolution than Klopp’s.

Furthermore, concentrating purely on goals scored under-sells the staggering progress Liverpool have achieved defensively this season, moving from 17 conceded in the first 11 games last year to 5 this time. Yet again, even with a couple of players below par (Alexander-Arnold for sure, arguably Fabinho), that defensive unit was the standout performer yesterday. 5 goals conceded in 11 games, which has included trips to Crystal Palace, Leicester, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal and the visit of Manchester City, is a scarcely believable return, even taking into account Liverpool's previous defensive improvement following the introductions of Van Dijk and Andy Robertson to the side around the turn of the year (and one of those goals was Alisson’s attempted Cruyff-turn gift at Leicester).

A combination of individual talent and collective excellence has suddenly made this team one of the toughest nuts to crack in European football, and make no mistake, that kind of obduracy has been proven time and time again to be very valuable in breeding the kind of consistency required to win trophies (and maintain a high goal difference).

Ferguson’s greatest Manchester United side was almost certainly the one which won him three league titles in a row from 2007—2009 and reached two European Cup finals, winning one. Yet they never got within 20 goals of City’s total from last season and in 2008/09, even with expensive attacking talent like Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov at their disposal, they scored 68. That team won 10 of its 38 League games 1-0. Add in three 0-0 draws, three 1-1 draws and their four defeats, and that’s 20 games out of 38 where they scored a single goal or less. Sometimes they won by battering teams, sometimes they leaned on a defence that went 1,334 minutes at one stage without conceding; either way, they ended the season as champions, on 90 points.

Would a similar total be enough for Liverpool to overhaul Manchester City this season? I would edge towards “no”, although it took a late goal against a relegation-threatened team for even a team as good as this one to hit 100 points last season, so it’s certainly not a given that they’ll do it again — 6-1 wins over Huddersfield and Southampton still only net you three points, after all. But the important thing is for Liverpool, chasing the kind of team that Ferguson arguably came across only once in 25 years as Manchester United boss (the similarly financially-doped Chelsea of the mid-2000’s), to stick to them like glue in terms of wins and points for as long as possible until they surpass them, whether that turns out to be over a period of months or years. If that approach sees the Reds coming up short on goal difference at some point, then it’s clearly an issue that will need to be addressed, but probably not until then, at least not as an urgency.

In the meantime, it’s a moot point until Liverpool match City for points over 38 games. That’s the main challenge here. But whatever ultimately happens, I’m confident that the only way Klopp’s face disappears from Pep’s rear-view mirror over the next 5 years and beyond is when the German finally pulls his Opel Mokka past his great rival on the Premier League Autobahn. Until then, Liverpool are built, and being built, to haunt the Spaniard’s every move. And after nearly three decades of futile efforts in this regard, that alone should be cause for excitement.

Incredible post. Thank you

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #294 on: November 4, 2018, 07:27:57 pm »

Even more sounds like a lot instead of what it actually is.

Man City
3 goals in 9 matches  (the one the saints scored today makes it 0.4)

And what do ya know.

Liverpool
4 goals in 10 matches

So us and City have the two most defensively solid sides in Europe,separated by 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

We've conceded 5.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: November 4, 2018, 07:30:00 pm »
When you consider we are only one win away from top spot with other results going our way and we have yet to hit top form after playing all the top teams, we are doing quite well. After many years of turmoil our defence is starting to look the part, Klopp takes his time and plays the long game and I am confident he will also sort out the best midfield formation very soon. We will be thereabouts come May and that last match against Wolves will bring back memories of that famous last grasp win against them back in the 70's to win that long awaited league title..

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #296 on: November 4, 2018, 07:40:47 pm »
That is very articulately put, quite a tangle of emotions eased out and separated.
Still, during the actual games I hope you are a crazy ball of biased bouncing tensions. Unadulterated emotion, that is why I love loving Liverpool. It's the best way to do it. :)

I'm a fucking mess mate. People always ask me what I thought of x, y, z - or the tactical side of things - I barely remember it.

When I watch games tactically, I tend to not look much at the ball and it ruins a lot of the enjoyment. I take screenshots during the game and then, in breaks in play, look at them to see our shape or who is out of position, stuff like that. :D During the game, I don't notice much and remember even less. It's pure adrenalin taking over.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #297 on: November 4, 2018, 07:43:59 pm »
When you consider we are only one win away from top spot with other results going our way and we have yet to hit top form after playing all the top teams, we are doing quite well. After many years of turmoil our defence is starting to look the part, Klopp takes his time and plays the long game and I am confident he will also sort out the best midfield formation very soon. We will be thereabouts come May and that last match against Wolves will bring back memories of that famous last grasp win against them back in the 70's to win that long awaited league title..

I remember listening on the radio to that game against Wolves when I was a kid, great memories.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #298 on: November 4, 2018, 08:16:39 pm »
Let me say this, one of these weeks we will overtake them and we might not even be first at that point. We just need to keep within a reasonable distance because they will stumble and that's when we have to keep moving forward to build a lead. Listen, City's clearly the favourites but they can be overtaken... and I don't believe we're the only contenders.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: November 4, 2018, 08:19:17 pm »
The bar is so high this year. at least city and chelsea will take points off eachother in the next 5 games.

I don't think it's helpful to talk about the title. It stops being able to enjoy what is an improving and more solid side this year under Klopp, and if you want to be a dreamer then face it, we are 3rd tonight.

just try to win the next game and hope our front three really get going asap.

Offline BigRedLetterDay

• Kemlynite
« Reply #300 on: November 4, 2018, 08:24:34 pm »

Incredible post

Offline drmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: November 4, 2018, 08:24:39 pm »
Great post E2K.

The only hope I have at the moment is this:

1. City, despite their riches, only became as good as they are with Pep. Once he goes they will likely fall to Pellegrini and Mancini levels of success.

2. Klopp will likely be LFC manager for longer than Pep is at City.

Online Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #302 on: November 4, 2018, 08:48:20 pm »

However, the fact that a 1-1 draw at the Emirates can feel like such a disappointment is another clear statemehint of Liverpool’s progress. There was a time not so long ago where average performances there usually resulted in sound defeats, or sometimes draws snatched from the jaws of victory — a 2-0 lead there last December suddenly morphed into an error-strewn 2-3 deficit, for example. And a team managed by Unai Emery and comprising attacking talent like Alexandre Lacazette, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Mesut Özil (each of them signed for substantially more than Mo Salah, for example, and good enough to temporarily make them the second-highest scorers in the League as of yesterday) was never going to be easy pickings, especially on their home patch.

Bollocks.

Alisson was clearly fouled.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: November 4, 2018, 08:53:28 pm »
We’re not challenging Manchester City.... we’re challenging for top 4 again.
It’s so annoying that the times we have created a good team..... someone with Country or Oil money creates something better!!!
My biggest fear is we eventually loose  when he’s contract runs it’s course and he hasn’t quite got us that 19th title. Not because he’s not good enough but simply because there was s team that was just that little bit better.
This year we thought it would be us against Manchester City and then Chelsea and Arsenal have also improved greatly.
Because of 5is I’m finding it hard to enjoy the season so far....... we will all take points off each other and Manchester City will go on....... winning 4-1 at half time.... they will be 2 points ahead......at some point we’re going to lose.... and that’s 5 points and the way they’re playing it’s practically title over.
I’m 51.... supported Liverpool got 46 years and want this title more than anything in the world.... so fucking frustrating!!!
Before everyone goes mental and start to tell me to fuck off etc..... it’s jus5 how I’m feeling... I enjoyed last season because there was no title expectation and the champions League ‘journey’ was unexpected and spectacular!
This season I just can’t get excited because of the inevitability of Manchester City!!

Must be on a windup?

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: November 4, 2018, 08:54:05 pm »
Brilliant post E2K.

On a side note - only Liverpool could be unbeaten after 11 games and find ourselves 3rd!

As eluded to in the post, it seems Chelsea aren't going anywhere too. This could end up being a cracker

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #305 on: November 4, 2018, 09:04:00 pm »
The bottom line is that, at this moment, if we win every game to the end of the season we will be champions, whatever any one else does, so let's just concentrate on doing that, one game at a time, starting with Fulham.

City are playing better than us at this moment and if we are not in the position as above then we will be dependent upon their failure, whatever we do. Control what we can control, what we do, nothing else matters, let them worry about themselves.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline N0rnIr0nRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #306 on: November 4, 2018, 09:34:55 pm »
feels like we are back in the 'Big Four' era. Top teams making short work of the rest of the league.
it's gonna come down to the 'six pointers' and although we haven't lost yet I reckon we will need to start winning them.

City are on course for another stupid season. Those c*nts are probably only gonna drop 15-points all season.
"I usually have a second pair of glasses but I can't find them because it's hard to find glasses without glasses!" Jürgen Klopp

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #307 on: November 4, 2018, 09:44:46 pm »
The bottom line is that, at this moment, if we win every game to the end of the season we will be champions, whatever any one else does, so let's just concentrate on doing that, one game at a time, starting with Fulham.

City are playing better than us at this moment and if we are not in the position as above then we will be dependent upon their failure, whatever we do. Control what we can control, what we do, nothing else matters, let them worry about themselves.
We won’t win every game.  It’s simple.

Just concentrate on winning every game at that time.

You can’t change what other teams do, so take control of your own destiny.  No one is unbeatable, no one is too good to lose.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline VickyR27

• Boys Pen
« Reply #308 on: November 4, 2018, 09:47:36 pm »
Its sometimes hard to be positive when you see City banging in the goals, and us only being top of the league for 24 hrs before they leapfrog us again, especially when we don't seem to be the free flowing, high scoring team of last season. yet despite that, we're still unbeaten after 11 games, and remember the 2015/16 season? No-one thought the Foxes would still be top of the league come Christmas, never mind win the damn thing! Yet they did, so instead of being doom and gloom, lets remember as long as we keep winning, stay unbeaten, we're still in it to win it and as Leicester City proved  (& so did Instanbul!)....sometimes Fairy Tales DO come true!
VickyR27 - Up the Reds

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #309 on: November 4, 2018, 09:49:35 pm »
Just like 13/14 it'll be between Us, City and Chelsea again. Nip and tuck right till April.

Only difference this time is that on 14th April 2019 when we play Chelsea at Anfield in the "30th Anniversary game" .... there will be no slip, no Mourinho beating his chest .... and we'll go top of the league and stay there until the end of the season. Champions!

Nailed on.

Stop worrying ya bastards and ENJOY THE RIDE!
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline VickyR27

• Boys Pen
« Reply #310 on: November 4, 2018, 09:49:43 pm »
Can you imagine the scenes when we do?
#DreamersIntoBelievers
VickyR27 - Up the Reds

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: November 4, 2018, 09:58:31 pm »
Two bad results in a row for anyone and its going to be difficult to catch up again. Arsenal drew 2 in a row and are suddenly 5th and 6 points behind the leaders despite going on a winning streak. That's the margins we are looking at now. We will need to take care of our own results first and foremost and we need to be prepared for race to the end if we going for the title this year. This is going to be a challenge that is not for the faint of heart. We who were bedwetting at trying to get into a CL place the past few seasons, it looks like its going to be magnified on a larger scale and for almost every season now.

No use thinking about it, we can;t control the results, just enjoy and relish the challenge  :)
« Last Edit: November 4, 2018, 10:05:05 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: November 4, 2018, 09:59:41 pm »

It very likely will be When was the last time any league was won by goal difference?

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #313 on: November 4, 2018, 10:10:59 pm »
It very likely will be When was the last time any league was won by goal difference?

Six years ago. 1989 before that - on goals scored.

1995 and 1999 went down to a single point.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2018, 10:13:04 pm by Alan_X »
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: November 4, 2018, 10:27:17 pm »
I remember 1989  :(

I was searching and in 2016 I found this

"Oct 27, 2016 - With just one point separating first and fifth in the Premier League, could it be the closest title race ever?"

Not sure what the table was like during that time. But that season the top 5 teams were even closer than they were today. Yet This was the final table:
Chelsea 93, Spurs 86, City 78 Liverpool 76, Arsenal 75

Getting into the CL is going to need about 75 points as well, the way this season is shaping up, but everyone has to play everyone else at least once, teams priorites might change as the season goes on, players get injures or are rested and still a lot of football to be played.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: November 4, 2018, 10:32:30 pm »

Probably not very often, but how often has a team been forced to chase a victory in a game at the business end of the season because they're behind on goal difference? Probably quite often.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: November 4, 2018, 10:36:44 pm »
The bottom of the table is mad too. Could it be the lowest points total to survive? There's usually 1 or 2 teams that put together a good run at some point but none of them lot at the bottom look capable at the moment
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: November 4, 2018, 10:37:22 pm »
Yes, but still. Need to start making sure we focus on our results and win the games we should be winning. If we fall too far back, no amount of goal difference is going to be useful.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: November 4, 2018, 10:39:12 pm »
Probably not very often, but how often has a team been forced to chase a victory in a game at the business end of the season because they're behind on goal difference? Probably quite often.

We can forget about goal difference. We are not catching them on that count.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: November 4, 2018, 10:40:06 pm »
We can forget about goal difference. We are not catching them on that count.

Don't remember saying we are?