Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1041745 times)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #16560 on: August 14, 2018, 07:35:37 pm »
Glad I decided not to upgrade and held onto my 6 this year, it's been as good as the day I got it (on release day) and could probably carry on doing so for a while yet. Going to upgrade to an X (or the new version) when they are announced next month.

Probably for the best. Apparently the next one will have a bigger screen. That fact alone means ill have to get it.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16561 on: August 14, 2018, 07:44:25 pm »
Probably for the best. Apparently the next one will have a bigger screen. That fact alone means ill have to get it.

See I’ve never really been sold on bigger screens. The 6 is a great size for me and think I’d find anything bigger a bit of a pain in the arse as I often use it one handed ( :-\) and if it’s any wider my thumb won’t stretch across the screen!

Although with them being more or less bezeless I could go a bit larger.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16562 on: August 14, 2018, 07:54:25 pm »
See I’ve never really been sold on bigger screens. The 6 is a great size for me and think I’d find anything bigger a bit of a pain in the arse as I often use it one handed ( :-\) and if it’s any wider my thumb won’t stretch across the screen!

I use mine every hour of the day so the bigger the screen the better. I gave up texting one handed the momebt i got my first smart phone.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16563 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:11 pm »

Trump-handed bastard.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16564 on: August 15, 2018, 10:36:34 am »
Trump-handed bastard.

Unfortunately we can't all be as far along the evolution process as you clearly are...

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #16565 on: September 5, 2018, 09:23:27 pm »
Managed to kill my old 6S last weekend by getting it wet and being an idiot.

Just bought an Iphone X for no good reason at all except it was the latest one and I needed a phone instantly.

The face recognition to unlock is a cool feature. So far have not tried anything else.I'm pretty sure I had a bad battery in my old 6S and this one is already much better.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #16566 on: September 5, 2018, 09:27:04 pm »
Whatever you do, don't take it in the sea, even if it does say it's waterproof up to 1m

i found out the hard way!

luckily though Apple still replaced it :D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16567 on: September 5, 2018, 09:38:08 pm »
Whatever you do, don't take it in the sea, even if it does say it's waterproof up to 1m

i found out the hard way!

luckily though Apple still replaced it :D
Water resistant. Not waterproof.  Big difference
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #16568 on: September 5, 2018, 11:57:33 pm »
Water resistant. Not waterproof.  Big difference

not sure what water resistant even means

arnt they pretty much all water resistant given that most of the outsides are glass

but not water proof as they have ports that are not water proof

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16569 on: September 12, 2018, 12:47:05 pm »
iPhone XS, XS Max and XR models being unveiled later today.

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16570 on: September 12, 2018, 01:07:14 pm »
Apparently the iphone x parts are now much cheaper than they were last year, will be interesting is they pass some of this saving on to it's customerhahahahahaha. Sorry can't finish it.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16571 on: September 12, 2018, 01:12:02 pm »
Apparently the iphone x parts are now much cheaper than they were last year, will be interesting is they pass some of this saving on to it's customerhahahahahaha. Sorry can't finish it.

Rumours suggest the XS Max could sell for a similar price to this years X, which means the XS is likely to be priced lower.

Now if mobile providers pass on these savings is another thing.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16572 on: September 12, 2018, 07:42:37 pm »
I’m so much a tart for this...

My contract is up and I will be getting the XS.  The Max is too big for my pockets..

Hurl abuse my way

;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16573 on: September 12, 2018, 07:45:34 pm »
I’m so much a tart for this...

My contract is up and I will be getting the XS.  The Max is too big for my pockets..

Hurl abuse my way

;D

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16574 on: September 12, 2018, 09:42:05 pm »
I got an LG OLED 55E7 for the same price as the iPhone Xs Max. Prices getting stupid now. How can one plus produce phones with similar specs for half the price? This isn't a go at Apple. But Samsung and the like too.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16575 on: September 12, 2018, 09:49:40 pm »
Stopped selling the X too. Probably because its almost exactly the same as the Xs with the exception of the Xs having an A12 chip and the X having an A11.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #16576 on: September 12, 2018, 09:53:45 pm »
My contract runs out on my IPhone 7 in December (currently pay £27 with 2GB of days which clearly isn’t enough these days). Even for the X you’re currently looking at least £500 upfront to get on a contract which is roughly £30 per month at best.

If you can afford the outlay the best bet would be to buy the phone outright.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16577 on: September 12, 2018, 10:41:10 pm »
Stopped selling the X too. Probably because its almost exactly the same as the Xs with the exception of the Xs having an A12 chip and the X having an A11.
Yeah. Probably some trivial incremental upgrade. Oh, hang on a minute...

The new engine has eight cores and can run 5 trillion operations per second, up from two cores and 600 billion operations in the previous version, Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide marketing, said at the event in Cupertino, California.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16578 on: September 12, 2018, 10:45:04 pm »
Incredible really... 7nm technology..

In 2010 we were on 32/28nm technology... the progress is astonishing.

10 years ago we didn’t know if it was possible...
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16579 on: September 12, 2018, 10:45:41 pm »
The old iPhone X is pretty much the iPhone Xs R if you want to buy that...
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #16580 on: September 12, 2018, 10:57:41 pm »
Is it just the screen quality and the camera that make the XS better than the XR? If so the price difference is ridiculous

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16581 on: September 12, 2018, 11:01:02 pm »
Is it just the screen quality and the camera that make the XS better than the XR? If so the price difference is ridiculous
Processor too..
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #16582 on: September 12, 2018, 11:02:34 pm »
You sure? I thought the XS and XR both had the same new chip

They both have the a12, no?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16583 on: September 12, 2018, 11:06:01 pm »
You sure? I thought the XS and XR both had the same new chip

They both have the a12, no?
You’re right...

Seems a good deal the X-R then....
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #16584 on: September 12, 2018, 11:07:10 pm »
Yeah an XR 128gb definitely tops my list

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16585 on: September 13, 2018, 09:46:32 am »
Yeah. Probably some trivial incremental upgrade. Oh, hang on a minute...

Errm, it IS an incremental update, with process node improvements and an additional GPU core in the SoC.  This is the first time I have seen Apple put so little focus on advertising their SOC's capabilities.  The number of transistors is a laughably vague metric for the uninformed like..  Huawei's Kirin 980 has an equal number of transistors.. What does that say ? Fuck all.

And what are "operations per second"? Integer performance? FLoating point? Instructions per cycle? What?Another bs number with the objective of fooling apple consumers. 

Its the SAME 2 fat cores plus 4 smaller cores. The underlying architecture is the same. The GPU has gained one additional core so basically a maximum of 25-30% uplift in ideal scenarios.

The A12 'bionic' is improved, but mostly in terms of power consumption.  Even Apple have said the performance increase is around 15% in best case scenario.

Here is the 'preview' from Anandtech, who know what they are doing. 
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13360/apple-announces-2018-iphones-iphone-xs-xr
Phuk yoo

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16586 on: September 14, 2018, 11:12:25 pm »
Pre ordered the iPhone xs...

Contract was up.. I like new and shiny things..

Besides... I’ve had a galaxy S8 for a few weeks for work...  and it’s fucking terrible..  I thought I’d like it to be honest... but ... it’s just hard work...and it feels cheap and flimsy..
W

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16587 on: September 15, 2018, 11:59:34 am »
Fanboi

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16588 on: September 15, 2018, 12:13:14 pm »
Really sad they are chopping the iPhone SE sale and production. Probably the biggest news of the event for me. I have no interest in a phone bigger then 5S I have or the SE I’m getting. Ah well.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16589 on: September 15, 2018, 08:44:00 pm »
Fanboi
Guilty as charged...

But my S8 is crap too, so I have some rationale for it now atleast ;D
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16590 on: September 15, 2018, 08:44:56 pm »
Really sad they are chopping the iPhone SE sale and production. Probably the biggest news of the event for me. I have no interest in a phone bigger then 5S I have or the SE I’m getting. Ah well.
The X-R is incredible value for a top end smart phone.
Given the lack of bezels, it’s not much bigger than the 5s but has a much bigger screen.
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16591 on: September 15, 2018, 08:53:47 pm »
 £749

The X-R is incredible value for a top end smart phone.
Given the lack of bezels, it’s not much bigger than the 5s but has a much bigger screen.

:lmao
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16592 on: September 15, 2018, 08:56:14 pm »
£749

:lmao
For a top end smart phone.. it is...
W

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16593 on: September 15, 2018, 09:40:52 pm »
Pre ordered the iPhone xs...

Contract was up.. I like new and shiny things..

Besides... I’ve had a galaxy S8 for a few weeks for work...  and it’s fucking terrible..  I thought I’d like it to be honest... but ... it’s just hard work...and it feels cheap and flimsy..
I've always thought that Samsung had a premium build and design whereas iPhones felt second class. Of course everyone's different but I just don't see the S8 as a cheap and flimsy phone.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16594 on: September 16, 2018, 09:18:10 am »
I've always thought that Samsung had a premium build and design whereas iPhones felt second class. Of course everyone's different but I just don't see the S8 as a cheap and flimsy phone.
People see things differntly I guess.  But compared to my iPhone 7 it feels cheap and plastics and has a rattle quality about it.

Things like the hapatic feedback.  The iPhone feedback feels reassuring and solid, the Samsung feels like there a plasticy bit inside come lose.

It’s a bit like car doors.  Some times when you slam a car door it makes a reassuring thud.  With other cars it makes a tinny clunk.. that’s the kind of difference I feel.  Probably most of it is perception, but I really notice it.
W

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16595 on: September 16, 2018, 09:24:02 am »
Not sure how anyone can pick up an iPhone and think it doesn’t feel like a premium product. That’s making no comparison to any other phone btw.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16596 on: September 16, 2018, 09:51:24 am »
Not sure how anyone can pick up an iPhone and think it doesn’t feel like a premium product. That’s making no comparison to any other phone btw.

Oh yeah it definately feels like a premium product, all there products do. It's just I guess how much of a premium you wanna pay to get that product.

For me I chose an alternative phone product because I thought it was better value for that same premium feel. Whereas I got both my kids iPad's because the premium quality of them products couldn't be matched in that price/quality aspect for me.

But yeah everyone's different.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16597 on: September 16, 2018, 04:11:18 pm »
Cheap and rattle quality? Load of bollocks. Of all the valid criticisms of the S8, build quality, fit and finish are not amongst them. Literally every single review extols the build quality and premium looks.

There is zero usage of plastics in its body. Its glass and metal entirely. Unless you have a different understanding of plastics...

Phuk yoo

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16598 on: September 16, 2018, 04:54:53 pm »
Cheap and rattle quality? Load of bollocks. Of all the valid criticisms of the S8, build quality, fit and finish are not amongst them. Literally every single review extols the build quality and premium looks.

There is zero usage of plastics in its body. Its glass and metal entirely. Unless you have a different understanding of plastics...

That’s my opinion of how it feels compared to my iPhone 7....

Feel rather than actually what it’s made of...

Worth noting that this wasn’t what I was expecting, I was expecting to find them similar... 

Still, I find the feel less of an issue than the os.  But again, I guess it depends what suits you.
W

Offline WAQS

• LYRIQAL
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #16599 on: September 17, 2018, 01:25:04 pm »
Sticking with my iPhone X. We're at a point now where the differences between an old and new iPhone are very minimal - even in performance. Even the iPhone XR is a bit of a joke. 6.1" edge to edge screen but its just over 720p? Okay then....lol