Author Topic: The Hyundai A-League Thread  (Read 84821 times)

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
Re: The Hyundai A-League Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2009, 02:22:58 pm »
Canberra should deffo have a team, you can't base shitty games like this, where both sides clearly just wanted a point unless a goal was gifted to them, no pace, no passion. Melbourne had 30 thousand fans for melbourne Vs sydney then only 20 thousand for the Asian Cup game, so you can't base shitty crowd numbers here for them not getting a side. I know the gold Coast isnt huge but when you think about the summer how busy it is, and there isnt even cricket in the city, there is no reason Clive and his suits can't get a crowd in. Post match interview with Cullina he admitted that it was affecting him and the boys, and it would going from PSV to a stadium that had 3 completley empty stands and a half full one. They better open the other stands when melbourne head up there, plenty of boys are planning it for their away trip

I think the main pulling point for the league is atmosphere, NRL you cheer when a try is scored, big whoop, AFL i admit I enjoy but football shits on it when its going well, but tonight....fucking hell its got me down, hope the reds lift my spirit

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #121 on: November 1, 2009, 05:46:18 pm »
I am becoming increasingly bored with the A-League.

The only 2 players at the moment I like watching are Fowler and Carlos Hernandez.

The league was much better to watch when we had the likes of:

Milton Rodriguez
Shengqin Qu
Benito Carbone
Fred
Nicky Carle
Dwight Yorke

And what about the local ethnic talent? It's completely dried up .... because Football Federation Australia has completely alienated the ethnic-based clubs such as Sydney United, Sydney Olimpic, South Melbourne Hellas, Melbourne Knights etc etc.

These clubs produced the likes of:

Mark Viduka
Danny Tiatto
Con Boustianos
Paul Trimboli
Jason Čulina
Ned Zelic
Tom Pondeljak
Ante Milicic
Simon Colosimo

The franchised A-League just does not come close to matching the old ethnic-based NSL in terms of player quality. Not even close.

« Last Edit: November 1, 2009, 05:53:46 pm by Roopy »

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #122 on: November 3, 2009, 05:17:02 am »
GC have scrapped the cap (thank fuck) but only because the FFA are going to now pay for the stadium and transport tax. But if the club can turn it around then atleast the FFA get the moeny and not the greedy fat prick. Using Cullina as a poster boy along with Smeltz & Van Stratten and even Denilson & Traore. They could easily turn it around.

Roberto Carlos was keen to come out for a stint in the A-league but seems no-one had the money for him.

Also talk of Richard Garcia coming back after Hull have said they need to cut down their wage bill

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #123 on: November 3, 2009, 05:20:07 am »
That Clive Palmer is a bit of an eccentric tit isn't he?
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #124 on: November 3, 2009, 05:28:37 am »
just a bit...I don't mind him being arrogant and coming out with the undefeated, going to do the A-league Asian champions league double. It makes headlines, and gets people talking. But when he has 8 billion dollars and doesn't even run some radio/newspaper/ tv adds it's quite annoying. He said before the season he didn't promote to much because he didn't need the oney from ticket revenue, how times have changed. Hope to see skilled park packed soon, really nice stadium, would be quite noisy with a good crowd in there.

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #125 on: November 3, 2009, 06:09:53 am »
Thing is you've got 8 billion and you're cutting costs by 100,000 through not renting out the rest of the stadium for tickets, that's bullshit.  I take it he doesn't own the stadium as well?
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #126 on: November 3, 2009, 07:48:12 am »
No he doesn't,  but no club in the league owns it's own ground. Only 2 clubs play on actual football grounds. The rest play on rugby league fields except Melbourne who play on an Aussie Rules field (will be at the new rugby league stadium next season) and Wellington at a cricket ground.

Adelaide are already run by the FFA. And Brisbane aren't far off (FFA just had to give them 1.4 million to ensure they can survive the rest of the season) Yet the only club not paying their own game day costs is the richest club by a country mile. Only Melbourne and Central Coast made money last season.

Gold Coast could be a huge success, take over the bling bling tag for Sydney, They have the the city for it and the money for it. Become the Chelsea of the A-league a bit plastic but anything is better than a club with 2 thousand fans.  But Clive needs to step up. His club is now draining FFA funds when they are the last club that needs it.

Can just hope the FFA turn it around an make some profit and share it around the clubs that need it (and promoting the game)

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2009, 08:58:30 am »
Top refereeing this week. ::) Feet high fouls ignored; player heads to goal one on one with the keeper, then held back by the last
defender (No send off); goalkeeper fakes being hit in the head by an imaginary 'sniper' somewhere in the Grandstand (Absolutely no contact to the keeper).  :butt
Hang on a minute, didn't Football Federation Australia say they were going to crack down on simulation at the start of the season. Yeah, right.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2009, 09:05:27 am »
Top refereeing this week. ::) Feet high fouls ignored; player heads to goal one on one with the keeper, then held back by the last
defender (No send off); goalkeeper fakes being hit in the head by an imaginary 'sniper' somewhere in the Grandstand (Absolutely no contact to the keeper).  :butt
Hang on a minute, didn't Football Federation Australia say they were going to crack down on simulation at the start of the season. Yeah, right.
Which match was this?

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2009, 09:32:28 am »
Which match was this?
Not one particular game nicholasanthony. Watched a few A-League games this week. Brisbane v Melbourne, Adelaide v Gold Coast, North Qld v Central Coast. The above whinge refers to incidents in recent games.
My point is, the standard of refereeing needs improving.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2009, 11:18:44 am »
I met Robbie Kruse out after the game, stupid wanker he is... he's that predictable - I said to my mates I bet you $50 he is at this club after the game tonight... and yep, he was there as he used to be before he moved to Melbourne.

I gave him the usual sarcastic shit, which he thought was actually genuine haha.

What about Henrique's handball haha.... we've labeled him as Thierry Henrique now ;)

Offline synthesis

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2009, 11:53:14 am »
I've tried very hard to 'enjoy' the A-League but I've found it to be quite a struggle. The standard of football is consistently appalling. I had a Sydney FC season ticket a year ago and I basically stopped going. The vast majority of players out there on the pitch are not footballers - they are simply good athletes. I think only Newcastle Jets under Von Egmond actually tried to play passing football, the rest of the league haven't even bothered to try. I found Sydney to be utterly unwatchable a good >70% of the time.

The thing is, I don't really mind if the team loses - as long as they're trying to be entertaining. Instead we get these jaw-droppingly dull contests between two teams packed full of athletes who look as though they haven't kicked a ball before that get ground out through set pieces. The results of the games frequently seem arbitrary.

Perhaps I'm spoilt by watching European football all the time, but what burns me is the fact that they're not even TRYING. It's like the clubs from the top-down have sent out this directive demanding that the coaches place results above anything, regardless of how damnedly boring this means the games are.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2009, 12:12:41 pm »
Like I said.... it's not as good as it used to be in the earlier seasons.

The league is worse off without the likes of:

Shenqing Qu
Milton Rodriguez
Fred
Dwight Yorke
Nick Carle

And the league is suffering big time because the FFA have alienated the ethnic clubs (Croatian, Macedonian, Serbian, Greek, Italian, Hungarian clubs etc) ... these clubs were responsible for a majority of the best Australian players because they were being taught how to play football the way it should be played, and there was a more technical emphasis.

You simply don't get that with A-League clubs.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2009, 04:15:58 pm »
can't argue some of it is painfully shit.  but how do we improve?  Adelaide went broke in the off season, Brisbane and North Queensland don't have any spare cash, Yet Gold Coast have literally billions, and Perth have their best 3 players leaving in january... Why we don't have An Austrlia B team that plays against VPL and NSW premier league sides while finals are on, then plays the kiwis and then a month trip of Asia or Africa....is beyond me $$$ I guess....atleast we are not as plastic as The American league

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2009, 08:05:26 am »
What about Henrique's handball haha.... we've labeled him as Thierry Henrique now ;)
We fell about laughing in the pub when he did it. I think for a wee moment he thought he was playing for the Brisbane Lions. ;D

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 28, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »
Watched the double header tonight on the telly, Melbourne battered Gold Coast United 4-0 and played some real nice attacking football, then I watched North Queensland Fury beat Adelaide 2-1, and saw God with a lovely pass set up the first goal for the Fury, then score the 2nd with a slight deflection. Both were decent watches, in contrast to some of the real poor quality games you can see in this league.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Troglodyte

• Cave dwelling Sun reader. That'll be the target demographic nailed then.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #136 on: November 28, 2009, 01:58:35 pm »
Not trying to belittle the league or anything but the football is dire , right out of the 80's english football handbook , i.e kick and rush.Terrible football , i must say.
If you want to watch Asian football , you are better off watching the J League , they are technically very good and play proper passing football.
And you run, and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 28, 2009, 02:29:41 pm »
Not trying to belittle the league or anything but the football is dire , right out of the 80's english football handbook , i.e kick and rush.Terrible football , i must say.
If you want to watch Asian football , you are better off watching the J League , they are technically very good and play proper passing football.
I dont want to watch asian football. I want to watch football played by teams the state or area I am from. Thanks for letting us know that our 4 year old league trying to establish itself in a country which already has two sporting codes that are ingrained in the culture of the nation plays terrible football.

What you would know if you took proper notice of the league and its short history is that the the teams that have played fairly good football have been rewarded, with the two Melbourne Victory premierships (the first in particular) as well as the initial Sydney premiership teams not playing "kick and rush" football. Its only in the last probably two season that the football has been average. Or as you so graciously put, dire.

Offline Troglodyte

• Anny Roader
« Reply #138 on: November 28, 2009, 05:23:27 pm »
I dont want to watch asian football. I want to watch football played by teams the state or area I am from. Thanks for letting us know that our 4 year old league trying to establish itself in a country which already has two sporting codes that are ingrained in the culture of the nation plays terrible football.

What you would know if you took proper notice of the league and its short history is that the the teams that have played fairly good football have been rewarded, with the two Melbourne Victory premierships (the first in particular) as well as the initial Sydney Premier League teams not playing "kick and rush" football. Its only in the last probably two season that the football has been average. Or as you so graciously put, dire.

didn't mean to sound offensive ,mate. Was just comparing the direct style of football in the A League with older Asian leagues.What I am trying to say is the focus should not be on producing players like Cahill, physical with very little techical attributes.
Especially as an Indian , our league is beyond ridiculous but we get good crowds.
a question , I was reading somewhere that the football supporters in Aus are mostly Euro expats/Ethnics,is that true?

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 28, 2009, 06:43:36 pm »
didn't mean to sound offensive ,mate. Was just comparing the direct style of football in the A League with older Asian leagues.What I am trying to say is the focus should not be on producing players like Cahill, physical with very little techical attributes.
Especially as an Indian , our league is beyond ridiculous but we get good crowds.
a question , I was reading somewhere that the football supporters in Aus are mostly Euro expats/Ethnics,is that true?

I'm not so sure about that anymore, back in the old league there were some fairly strong ties to the various different ethnic groups we have here with each team. Now with the new revamped league, and a lot of Australians jumping on the "soccer" bandwagon due to the success of the national team you tend to see a lot more of your typical Aussie supporters at the games.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2009, 11:18:32 pm »
Agree that we should be producing technically sound players but im of the opinion that many of the younger players that have come through are of good technique. Young Rukavytsya who is playing for Twente now, Kruse, Zullo, Dugandzic (who after playing for Knights was signed up by Zagreb), Sarkies, Cole, and Danning are all young players produced or blooded during the a-league with what I believe range from solid to quite good technique. Most of the players who you would consider physical with little technique are already somewhat established footballers in the country. It's going to take time to establish a culture of a certain type of football and players. We can produce all the decent young players we want but it will take time to fill the league wiht them.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2009, 11:34:04 pm »
Well said nicholasanthony. No one's pretending it's EPL and the A-League has given football a profile in Australia which it has never had before. Football back in the NSL (National Soccer League) days was largely ethnically based and disappearing into the sunset. The A-League has given football followers nationwide a team to follow and it's supporter base has moved way beyond those following the football code of 'the old country'.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #142 on: November 29, 2009, 03:22:21 am »
The footballing style is pretty dull in the A-League at the moment, but I'll support it through and through for the good of the game in this country.

There have been teams who have played good football:

1. Melbourne Victory when they had Fred, Allsopp & Thompson up front.
2. Adelaide United when they had Shenqing Qu up front, and Dodd & Pantelis down the wings.
3. Newcastle United when they had Nicky Carle & Milton Rodriguez pulling the strings
4. Brisbane Roar for the first 3-4 seasons were easily the best side to watch

Rukavytsya who is playing for Twente now, Kruse, Zullo, Dugandzic (who after playing for Knights was signed up by Zagreb), Sarkies, Cole, and Danning

Agree with all except Sarkies and Shannon Cole - Sarkies has done nothing for a while now, and Cole has loads of ability but hardly progressing in his development.

Some names you forgot include Matt Holland and Ben Kantarovski - the latter who is really going to have a big future.

Reminds me so much of an Paolo Okon and Ned Zelic ... brilliant on the ball, very composed - gem player.

Offline Troglodyte

• Anny Roader
« Reply #143 on: November 29, 2009, 06:14:26 am »
Agree that we should be producing technically sound players but im of the opinion that many of the younger players that have come through are of good technique. Young Rukavytsya who is playing for Twente now, Kruse, Zullo, Dugandzic (who after playing for Knights was signed up by Zagreb), Sarkies, Cole, and Danning are all young players produced or blooded during the a-league with what I believe range from solid to quite good technique. Most of the players who you would consider physical with little technique are already somewhat established footballers in the country. It's going to take time to establish a culture of a certain type of football and players. We can produce all the decent young players we want but it will take time to fill the league wiht them.

Yeah , a good mix of the typical Aussie grit with technique , there is huge potential there , even more so than J League etc because asian players are usually slightly built and therefore ultimately cannot play in top European leagues with a few exceptions. You  have these players built like Bulls and add technique to that ,we're talkin the type of players  the EPL would do with.

Offline Troglodyte

• Anny Roader
« Reply #144 on: November 29, 2009, 06:17:03 am »
One question , how did Archie thompson got signed by PSV a while back? Lol, the coupla times i've seen him play , he is nowhere up to the mark.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #145 on: November 29, 2009, 08:23:32 am »
One question , how did Archie thompson got signed by PSV a while back? Lol, the coupla times i've seen him play , he is nowhere up to the mark.
scored 5 goals in the grandfinal of season 2, is top scorer for the league (all time) despite time at PSV injures and 1 or 2 suspensions, oh and scored twice last night, So I'm guessing that wasn't one of the times you watched him.

Offline Troglodyte

• Anny Roader
« Reply #146 on: November 29, 2009, 09:31:17 am »
scored 5 goals in the grandfinal of season 2, is top scorer for the league (all time) despite time at PSV injures and 1 or 2 suspensions, oh and scored twice last night, So I'm guessing that wasn't one of the times you watched him.
I am a member in another private forum and this dutch fella I know is a PSV fan. He told me Archie Thompson was pure and utter shite.Could only manage a handful of appearances for em.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2009, 09:46:34 am »
I am a member in another private forum and this dutch fella I know is a PSV fan. He told me Archie Thompson was pure and utter shite.Could only manage a handful of appearances for em.
He also played for Australia in the Olympics last year and you could see was a step ahead of almost all our other players. He can be great at times and at others can seem like a useless tit. He is Melbourne's marquee players if you can believe it, ie he is their one player not in the salary cap.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2009, 10:57:27 am »
whats your point? You asked how, I told you. his 2 goals on the weekend weren't tap in's. Was  out of his depth at PSV but shit happens

nickanthony, Why can't you believe the guy thats scored the most goals in the A-league history is the marquee?

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 29, 2009, 11:09:20 am »
nickanthony, Why can't you believe the guy thats scored the most goals in the A-league history is the marquee?
Just because I look at the North Queensland team and I see Fowler and think that Melbourne as the biggest a-league team should probably have a larger marquee player, in name at least. Not taking anything away from Archie, he is a great striker for the a-league, I'd just like to see Melbourne with a bigger name to compliment their large crowds.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2009, 03:29:33 pm »
fair enough mate, I guess since he's been there from day one and banged in the goals we havent fixed what isnt broke. Plus alot of marquees have been flops. But see what you mean. Who you follow?

Offline Troglodyte

• Anny Roader
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2009, 04:33:14 pm »
whats your point? You asked how, I told you. his 2 goals on the weekend weren't tap in's. Was  out of his depth at PSV but shit happens

Well most of the Aussie footballers playing abroad have done quite well, as far as i can remember. That is why i asked about Archie Thomson because according to the dutch fella , he was totally out of his depth there.

Offline Troglodyte

• Anny Roader
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2009, 04:40:22 pm »
He also played for Australia in the Olympics last year and you could see was a step ahead of almost all our other players. He can be great at times and at others can seem like a useless tit. He is Melbourne's marquee players if you can believe it, ie he is their one player not in the salary cap.
Hmm, maybe another good season in the A League and he might have a second crack at a european club.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2009, 03:50:42 am »
Hmm, maybe another good season in the A League and he might have a second crack at a european club.
Nah, too old. I do think he once could have done it but not now.

fair enough mate, I guess since he's been there from day one and banged in the goals we havent fixed what isnt broke. Plus alot of marquees have been flops. But see what you mean. Who you follow?
I'm a Melbourne boy. Just falling out of love (if that's the right term) with the Victory at the moment. I'll probably go for the new Melbourne club, especially considering it seems to be developing a bit of a croatian influence within it. Plus it's gonna be easier with the new club likely wearing red.  :P

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2009, 06:03:18 am »

Well most of the Aussie footballers playing abroad have done quite well, as far as i can remember. That is why i asked about Archie Thomson because according to the dutch fella , he was totally out of his depth there.

He was signed by PSV so he could keep training and get match time (mostly reserve team) in preparation for the World Cup - which was not far away.... and this is because the A-League finishes a few months before the start of the World Cup.

At the time Hiddink was still in charge at PSV and he was also Australia's manager - so naturally, it was his idea to get Archie over there.

PSV never signed him to be a first team player and Archie was never going to spend much time there.

Offline Fluro Kaz

• Anny Roader
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2009, 01:29:53 pm »
fair enough nick, I was worried they wouldn't get any fans but I think they will be right with a combination of fans crossing from MV, old NSL fans giving in to the A-league after they all thought it would fail, people for whatever reason never got on MV and new fans.

It took a while getting used to getting home and taking the blue scarf off and putting the red one on

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #156 on: December 1, 2009, 06:35:05 pm »
Just saw that Archie Thompson scores 2 fantastic goals for Melbourne. His first one was great movement and interplay on his behalf then his second one was a class finish. He looked a class player, better than Voronin any day!
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 1, 2009, 10:36:42 pm »
Does the league have a sponsorship agreement with Reebok or something? I could be wrong but it seems like all the kits are manufactured by them. I find that strange.

Offline Roopy

• Kopite
« Reply #158 on: December 2, 2009, 12:04:04 am »
Does the league have a sponsorship agreement with Reebok or something? I could be wrong but it seems like all the kits are manufactured by them. I find that strange.

Yeah that is the case.

In the old National Soccer League (NSL) clubs were allowed to do whatever they wanted - there's nothing wrong with that - but with that freedom some clubs were run very poorly, and very few were successful in terms of finance.

The FFA has a shirt sponsorship agreement with Reebok to ensure an injection of sponsorship money into the league, and to get things off and running for clubs and league in terms of development.... I'm sure FFA received an attractive offer from Reebok for them to sponsor all teams in the league.

It is odd like you said, but the league is in its infancy and needs to be run in this kind of manner in the short term ... football in Australia cannot afford to have another farce like the NSL.

In the future as each club begins to make a profit and the league has a solid foundation - clubs will be given the chance to operate more as a separate entity from the FFA where they will be given the freedom to pick shirt sponsors etc.

Think of it as having a child ... you teach and guide your child until they are 18 or so when they can then make decisions for themselves.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2009, 12:07:02 am by Roopy »

Offline Mackeroo

• Like mackerel, just more impressive. And bouncier.....now with added joeys.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 2, 2009, 02:10:14 am »

Cheers for clearing that up mate  :wave