Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 321852 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I wonder if there will be blud in the Community Shield game on Sunday.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/aaron-ramsdale-premier-league-arsenal-soccer-england

Good read from Ramsdale, lots about his personal life and what he's had to deal with.

Just read this myself. Came in to share it. Great read. We never know what people have got going on behind the scenes.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Reminds me of posting this in relation to Pickford actually:

I'm all for having a laugh at the Blues as a collective for having what appears to have the potential to be a serious handbrake on their ambitions in their side, and I've nothing against having a laugh at the Pickford scenario in the match/league threads and with mates, etc, but I wonder if we should perhaps be better than having a 39-page thread dedicated to this topic - or at least the laughter at an individual's expense aspect of it?  Yes, lots of Everton fans are concerned and want rid; yes, Pickford's own demeanour does his reputation no good; yes, the results of his errors offer us amusement; and, yes, critique is fair enough.

I'm reminded of a few interviews from last year, about footballers 'hearing' the abuse - Luke Chadwick and Peter Crouch spring to mind - and how it affected their mental health.

Just wonder if the joke's gone on for long enough now...?

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Reminds me of posting this in relation to Pickford actually:

I'd extend that to everyday life including this place.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
It's a point worth remembering, certainly, but at the same time we can't go through life treading on eggshells and acting out a totally sanitised interaction with the world on the chance that something might end up being something something something.

I have no time for the 'bantz' culture but humour and general piss-taking are a normal part of our lived experience and so is bound to find its way into all areas of it. We just need to remember that everything we say and do here is generally cartoonish and OTT and nothing is really meant with any malice, and that all of us would stop a line of humour if we knew it had a genuine negative affect on an individual.

I say generally, of course there might well be some who approach things from a bad place from the outset. But not most of us, I would say.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

That was a brilliant article both about his personal and professional life. Great lad Ramsdale, hope he goes on to become a top class keeper at Arsenal.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing

That was a brilliant article both about his personal and professional life. Great lad Rammers, hope he goes on to become a top class keeper at Arsenal.

<fixed>

;)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Online RedG13

• Legacy Fan
At least we don't have to worry about replacing Partey as he's still here. My main concern is how often we've managed to get opened up, we've not tightened up here at all, and the fact that I don't think we've ever managed to play our first choice team at any point.

So its a strange feeling, we into this season with undoubtedly a better squad than last season, but theres this sense we are going into this season a bit ill prepared and more questions than answers
really.
When your a pressing side and change personal in the front and the Midfield it takes time. There a reason Klopp didnt play Fabinho for like 2 months(and he was signed 2 days after CL)
Keeping Partey from on the field POV makes tons of sense.
It why I dont really expect Lavia or another 6 to come in and start right away. Klopp will either play Bajcetic, Thiago or somebody else till there ready. Bajcetic Im not sure how many minutes he ready for but he knows how press and defend mostly for what Klopp wants hasnt played this set up but feels smaller change then learning all the pressing cues etc. Mac Allister and szoboszlai same thing however the had pressing teams before and them messing up a little way less then a 6.

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
Premier League Champions Febuary to March 2023

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Premier League Champions Febuary to March 2023

September - December 2022 also according to some posters on here ;)

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/aaron-ramsdale-premier-league-arsenal-soccer-england

Good read from Ramsdale, lots about his personal life and what he's had to deal with.

Thank you Tubbers.

Everyone should read this. I’d go so far as to say it should be pinned under posts you may have missed.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
I see lego head considered his future after bottling the title last season.

Mikel Arteta: Arsenal manager considered his Premier League future after missing out on title

Mikel Arteta considered his future as Arsenal manager after last season's title disappointment until deep "reflection" persuaded him to stay put.

The Gunners led the Premier League by five points from Manchester City before consecutive draws with Liverpool, West Ham and Southampton proved costly.

Arsenal's next game was a heavy defeat at City, who went on to win the title by five points from the London side.

"The first few weeks, very tough," said Arteta, looking back at his summer.

"The first thing you have to do is look in the mirror and understand - is there something that you should have done better or differently? If that is the case then learn from it.

"Judge yourself - 'are you still the right person to drive the club, the team, forwards in the way that you want and do you have that energy and that belief that you want to do it?'.

"It took a big reflection, but the answer is yes and I feel with a lot of energy and positiveness."

During the title run-in, Arsenal led 2-0 at Liverpool and West Ham before being held to draws, with winger Bukayo Saka missing a penalty when his side were 2-1 up against the Hammers.

Arsenal then needed two late goals to salvage a 3-3 draw against a Southampton side who went on to be relegated, before sliding to a telling 4-1 defeat at City.

Asked what was the difference between City and his team, Arteta said: "Momentum. In the key moments when it should have gone one way - and in many situations in the season it went for us - it didn't go for us.

"It was one, two, three and then we lost momentum and they took momentum.

"You are talking about a team that if they need to win 25 games in a row, they have the capacity to do that, so the last thing that they need is momentum and belief and we gave them that.

"We had games that we didn't win, especially the three draws that we had when momentum shifted.

"We should have won those games and we had enough to win those games - it was in our hands.

"They were key moments when we just weren't ruthless enough, clinical enough, didn't have the luck or we made certain mistakes that allowed that to happen. We have to recognise that as well."

Arsenal will play City in the Community Shield on Sunday. Despite Pep Guardiola's side losing Ilkay Gundogan and Riyad Mahrez this summer, Arteta warned against thinking City are at the end of a cycle.

"I've heard that a few times in the last seven years and they have won five titles," said Arteta, who was a coach under Guardiola at City before taking over in December 2019 at Arsenal.

"Knowing the manager and the people at the club, I don't think that's going to be the case."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66409342?at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_origin=Match_of_the_Day&at_link_type=web_link&at_link_id=8CD30C7A-330F-11EE-BBC4-6427D99D5CC3&at_medium=social&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_campaign_type=owned&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_format=link&fbclid=IwAR1kU48UhefUGtdHiW4T3VccpWGpl53o_WNbgbQ99-yGqanu_YAg8ghbQ-Y

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
I see lego head considered his future after bottling the title last season.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66409342?at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_origin=Match_of_the_Day&at_link_type=web_link&at_link_id=8CD30C7A-330F-11EE-BBC4-6427D99D5CC3&at_medium=social&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_campaign_type=owned&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_format=link&fbclid=IwAR1kU48UhefUGtdHiW4T3VccpWGpl53o_WNbgbQ99-yGqanu_YAg8ghbQ-Y
He's just isn't a very good manager, everything, and I mean everything came together for Arsenal last season, underperforming rivals/no injuries etc, and honestly, fair play if they'd won it, I really mean that, but Arteta didn't pass the test when he was under any kind of pressure, he didn't have the experience of a Klopp, or the bottomless squad reserves of the Fraud.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
He's just isn't a very good manager, everything, and I mean everything came together for Arsenal last season, underperforming rivals/no injuries etc, and honestly, fair play if they'd won it, I really mean that, but Arteta didn't pass the test when he was under any kind of pressure, he didn't have the experience of a Klopp, or the bottomless squad reserves of the Fraud.

So because he's not as good as the 2 best managers in the world currently he's not a very good manager?

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
So because he's not as good as the 2 best managers in the world currently he's not a very good manager?

Serious questions, not trying to take the piss.

Should Arsenal finish outside the top 4, and no cups, how will the Gunner faithful react at the end of the season after all the money spent this summer?

Will Arteta question himself and lose some belief in his abilities?
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Serious questions, not trying to take the piss.

Should Arsenal finish outside the top 4, and no cups, how will the Gunner faithful react at the end of the season after all the money spent this summer?

Will Arteta question himself and lose some belief in his abilities?

If we finish outside the top 4 he wont be the only one questioning his abilities. Doubt he can survive that.

But the consensus seems to be that if we finish second he should go, but at the same time we were lucky to finish second last season, which doesnt make sense so theres no point trying to make sense of it.

I think on paper we have an excellent team now and we should challenge for the title again. Anything less would be a disappointment. Missing out on top 4 would be epic failure, but i cant see it. I think Arteta has built a very good side.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
If klopp had only won an fa cup with us, then I suspect finishing outside top 4 would lead to calls for his head.
Top 5 now I guess .
With city and Chelsea in the mix and united always hovering and the toon having a few quid , we are going to see a lot of pressure on some pretty good managers.  I wonder who replaces ten hag.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
If klopp had only won an fa cup with us, then I suspect finishing outside top 4 would lead to calls for his head.
Top 5 now I guess .
With city and Chelsea in the mix and united always hovering and the toon having a few quid , we are going to see a lot of pressure on some pretty good managers.  I wonder who replaces ten hag.

Its going to be very interesting. Funnily enough the best team in pre season has probably been aston villa, and they start against Newcastle, who everyone thought would buy the transfer window, the saudis did buy it, but not for them.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Havent been to Wembley for a long time, not sure why the "Entry time slot" on my ticket is 2:00 till 2:30, when the game starts at 4...

Anyway, first chance to see Deccers in an Arsenal shirt,I hope we smash the cheating c*nts and go into next week full of confidence.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Havent been to Wembley for a long time, not sure why the "Entry time slot" on my ticket is 2:00 till 2:30, when the game starts at 4...

Anyway, first chance to see Deccers in an Arsenal shirt,I hope we smash the cheating c*nts and go into next week full of confidence.
Your allocation is sold out? Not like City end that will have hundreds of followers.

Not sure I'll watch it yet. Thought Rice nickname was banned (or should be) on here ;D

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Your allocation is sold out? Not like City end that will have hundreds of followers.

Not sure I'll watch it yet. Thought Rice nickname was banned (or should be) on here ;D

I think they gave us a few more tickets because city didnt sell out, and those were snapped up quick. I expect the city end to have a few red shirts.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.

We've had those time slots the last few trips, no one takes any notice of them!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
We've had those time slots the last few trips, no one takes any notice of them!

Probably just want people to spend their money on their overpriced shite beer. Ill probably make my way there at 2:30

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
I think they gave us a few more tickets because city didnt sell out, and those were snapped up quick. I expect the city end to have a few red shirts.

Funny that they'd rather stick a banner on the empty seats than give them to us though..

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Who's playing upfront? Do you have any expectations for Nketiah this season?

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan

Wanted to get a ticket but those bots bought many and relisted them on resale site.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Wanted to get a ticket but those bots bought many and relisted them on resale site.
Thinking out loud, couldn't all clubs sell tickets for big things like this.  I was thinking more of concerts admittedly.
So you have to rock up in person to buy a ticket.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Who's playing upfront? Do you have any expectations for Nketiah this season?

Id play martinelli upfront and trossard wide. Arteta will probably go with Nketiah, who isnt the level required to do damage to a team like city.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
Thinking out loud, couldn't all clubs sell tickets for big things like this.  I was thinking more of concerts admittedly.
So you have to rock up in person to buy a ticket.
It wouldn't be possible for some away games. It's doable for Arsenal though as Wembley is like a home game (due to distance). In that case, fans that don't stay in London would find it inconvenient.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It wouldn't be possible for some away games. It's doable for Arsenal though as Wembley is like a home game (due to distance). In that case, fans that don't stay in London would find it inconvenient.

What I'm thinking though, is the clubs work together. Say for example we were playing today.  All PL clubs have a day where you can go to the ticket office and buy tickets. Obviously this is a bit of a cost all round and may need bigger ticket offices. But the clubs keep the money, not the bots and reseller sites.  The reseller sites will still exists for genuine resales, but if you limit to say 6 per person at the window, that cuts out the mass bot scalping.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
What I'm thinking though, is the clubs work together. Say for example we were playing today.  All PL clubs have a day where you can go to the ticket office and buy tickets. Obviously this is a bit of a cost all round and may need bigger ticket offices. But the clubs keep the money, not the bots and reseller sites.  The reseller sites will still exists for genuine resales, but if you limit to say 6 per person at the window, that cuts out the mass bot scalping.
It's a good idea👍

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Id play martinelli upfront and trossard wide. Arteta will probably go with Nketiah, who isnt the level required to do damage to a team like city.
I was only asking because of fantasy football! ;D I went for Welbeck.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You support Arsenal?

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
You support Arsenal?
No, my brother does. I wanted to attend this game because it's great for a neutral.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
3-0 to the cheats.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
No, my brother does. I wanted to attend this game because it's great for a neutral.
Ah things we do for family ;D Not sure it'll be good game for neutral though.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006

Reading it is one thing.

But if someone said Deccers to me it would sound like Deck Chairs.... ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Reading it is one thing.

If someone said it to me, they would get decked. Or should that be Decced?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Reading it is one thing.

I always think (Keith) Cheggers when I see it.

« Last Edit: August 6, 2023, 03:25:09 pm by The G in Gerrard »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
Feels a bit weird for us to not be playing in this. We were in 3 of the last 4 I think.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."