Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 219857 times)

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #760 on: March 2, 2020, 12:03:31 pm »
what the hell happened at Rangers? From being on top of the world mid-week, now to loads of headlines about him maybe thinking of leaving after a loss in the cup  :o

Hearts have fucked there season up in two matches at tynecastle.

I think once they beat Celtic at parkhead in December that was it for them they thought they win their game in hand v St Johnstone they have won the league as they thought they will not loose another game roll on 6 weeks and now out the scotitsh cup and 12pts behind Celtic

I have a few pals who support Rangers and they were thinking that

Gerrard isn't the issue it's the board they never backed him in the jan window singing Hagi on loan and the Hibs forward .

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #761 on: March 2, 2020, 03:16:49 pm »
Just watched Make Us Dream (it's on catch-up if anyone's interested). Fuck, no player gives me chills like Gerrard does, and probably never will do. Like many Liverpool fans of a certain age, I grew up with him, and without him there's at least two trophies we would not have won. I'm not sure any player in history is more worthy of a film, either. An absolute rollercoaster of a career with amazing highs and tragic lows.

Even when you know we're going to win the league this season, watching the contrast between the City win and the Chelsea loss and the way it came about is still utterly gut-wrenching. I think it goes under the radar what a phenomenal captain Gerrard was for us in that season in particular, especially with him using pain-killers and injections to get through several games.

Absolutely, fuckin legend this fella. I love the guy, he led us to glory almost single handedly at times. I cant' wait to see him back home where he belongs. I met Stevie a couple of times at his old school in Huyton where my daughter's also went. There is a signed framed jersey hanging in the school hall. Great, down to earth scouser, best and most influential red to ever play for us in my opinion.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #762 on: March 2, 2020, 04:04:29 pm »
Hearts have fucked there season up in two matches at tynecastle.

I think once they beat Celtic at parkhead in December that was it for them they thought they win their game in hand v St Johnstone they have won the league as they thought they will not loose another game roll on 6 weeks and now out the scotitsh cup and 12pts behind Celtic

I have a few pals who support Rangers and they were thinking that

Gerrard isn't the issue it's the board they never backed him in the jan window singing Hagi on loan and the Hibs forward .

To be fair the board pushed the boat out for him in the summer and backed him with Kent which was a huge outlay for them given their finances.

Gerrard has improved them since taking over, but Rangers are always judged on trophies and he hasn't won any. Celtic are too strong/consistent for them over a league season, however being knocked out the cups by the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen isn't good enough. Where Gerrard has done well is in Europe and that hides domestic failures. Given Celtic will be going for 10 in a row next year patience will wear thing if they can't go the distance with Celtic.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #763 on: March 3, 2020, 10:36:57 am »
To be fair the board pushed the boat out for him in the summer and backed him with Kent which was a huge outlay for them given their finances.

Gerrard has improved them since taking over, but Rangers are always judged on trophies and he hasn't won any. Celtic are too strong/consistent for them over a league season, however being knocked out the cups by the likes of Hearts and Aberdeen isn't good enough. Where Gerrard has done well is in Europe and that hides domestic failures. Given Celtic will be going for 10 in a row next year patience will wear thing if they can't go the distance with Celtic.

7M for Kent but the talk up here was they only paid 500k and the rest is in instalments over the next 3 seasons.

Gerrard has improved rangers since coming in but no where near the level of Celtic. They wont stop 10 in a row either.

I think Morelos will be away in the summer they will cash in on him but I can't see them getting anyone better than him to play upfront. He is a good player but a Liability. 

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: March 3, 2020, 03:59:56 pm »
7M for Kent but the talk up here was they only paid 500k and the rest is in instalments over the next 3 seasons.

Gerrard has improved rangers since coming in but no where near the level of Celtic. They wont stop 10 in a row either.

I think Morelos will be away in the summer they will cash in on him but I can't see them getting anyone better than him to play upfront. He is a good player but a Liability.

They haven't got any money, they've stretched themselves as it is. I don't think it was a good job for him to take on. I said when he took over they're too far behind Celtic and you don't want to be Rangers manager while they're winning 9 and 10 in a row.

Rodgers was a lot more savvy taking on the Celtic job. A few easy titles.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2020, 04:01:46 pm by Fromola »

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #765 on: March 3, 2020, 04:07:07 pm »
I think it's a good job but the last time I looked Celtic's wage bill was more than every single club in Scotland's put together which gives you an idea of the task. (Might be different after Rangers added Defoe, Davis etc). Obviously losing in the cup to a shit Hearts team is poor but Rangers are actually on track for 90 points in the league which I'd say is very good it's just that Celtic are on for over a 100 and it's fucking their heads up.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: March 3, 2020, 04:11:15 pm »
I think it's a good job but the last time I looked Celtic's wage bill was more than every single club in Scotland's put together which gives you an idea of the task. (Might be different after Rangers added Defoe, Davis etc). Obviously losing in the cup to a shit Hearts team is poor but Rangers are actually on track for 90 points in the league which I'd say is very good it's just that Celtic are on for over a 100 and it's fucking their heads up.

But it's miles from a level playing field but when you're Rangers manager you're always expected to beat Celtic.

It's like being Celtic manager in the 90s when Rangers had Gascoigne, Laudrup and co.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #767 on: March 3, 2020, 04:29:18 pm »
Great, down to earth scouser, best and most influential red to ever play for us in my opinion.
Agreed.
He has/had immense talent and praise, and yet it didn't go to his head. Stayed focussed on making a difference on the pitch.

It might be strange to hear this coming from a Red who grew up watching a front two of Dalglish and Rush, but if I could only pick one of the three in a Best LFC 11, it would be Stevie in a heartbeat. He was that important, peerless, and irreplaceable at his peak.
Whilst some would argue we'd have a few other world-class options for a no.7 and no.9.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: March 25, 2020, 10:03:15 pm »
I have the “make us dream” doc on that previous posts have referred to. Really enjoying it. Few thoughts:

1) Hes discussed it on Carraghers podcast the other week about rafa not loving him. Interesting how he says at that point he needed a managers adoration even though the fans idolised him.

2) If klopp inherited gerrard at the same point he inherited trent how would he have used him? If klopp came in in 2005 how would he have used a 24 year old gerrard?

3) If gerrard went onto madrid when owen did. How would it have gone for him?

I see gerrard as the ultimate footballer. If he played as a striker, he’d have been our greatest ever striker. If he played as a right wing, he’d have been our greatest ever right winger. If he played as a right back, he’d have been our greatest ever right back. Find it sad how he has all this mental stress but every fan does I suppose his stress is just unparalleled. On carraghers podcast he said madrid was a massive moment for him because he could see smiles on faces again, for the first time in a generation it wasnt thanks to him i suppose aswell. Hopefully i’m sat here in 20 years watching a trent documentary (hopefully in non pandemic times aswell where i can freely purchase toilet roll)
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: March 25, 2020, 10:05:22 pm »
Another thing, how many retired players still have songs sung about them by opposition fans? Thats a testament to his ability and what he meant to everyone
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #770 on: March 25, 2020, 10:52:21 pm »
Don’t agree he’d have been our greatest ever X position no matter where he played, but he’d have been one our best players in a few position quite possibly.

He’d have played the Gini role under Klopp I expect, box to box basically, which is where I think he was always best. He’s one of the players looking back at recent history I wish he was maybe 5-10 years younger as he’d have genuinely elevated this team to another level.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: April 13, 2020, 06:43:25 pm »
just saw "Make Us Dream" documentary, so many moments and connections brought tears to my eyes. Such a legend!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #772 on: April 16, 2020, 07:38:33 am »
Don’t agree he’d have been our greatest ever X position no matter where he played, but he’d have been one our best players in a few position quite possibly.

He’d have played the Gini role under Klopp I expect, box to box basically, which is where I think he was always best. He’s one of the players looking back at recent history I wish he was maybe 5-10 years younger as he’d have genuinely elevated this team to another level.

Disagree.

Gini's best characteristic is holding on to the ball, beating the press and being at the right place at the right time. At least two of those things were not really Stevie's strongest points.

I'm fairly sure he would have been the 10 in this team if any - i.e. the Naby/Ox role. The midfielder that takes the most risks with a pass, a shot or a dribble. 

When I say "if any", I mean I think we would probably operate differently if we had him in the team.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #773 on: April 16, 2020, 04:30:45 pm »
Disagree.

Gini's best characteristic is holding on to the ball, beating the press and being at the right place at the right time. At least two of those things were not really Stevie's strongest points.

I'm fairly sure he would have been the 10 in this team if any - i.e. the Naby/Ox role. The midfielder that takes the most risks with a pass, a shot or a dribble. 

When I say "if any", I mean I think we would probably operate differently if we had him in the team.

The most obvious role for Gerrard in this team would be the same role Hendo was playing before Fabinho's injury. Making overloads with Trent down the right side, crossing whenever given the opportunity, but with more penetrative passing and goal threat.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: April 19, 2020, 07:04:06 am »
You're all wrong.

Klopp would start him off at RB.

Then see how he gets on from there.

#historyrepeatingitself
#trent

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: April 27, 2020, 11:11:00 am »
Jesus wept. Bring back real football ASAP.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1254696790688817152

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #776 on: April 27, 2020, 02:07:31 pm »

Blimey, they post this shite every year... bunch of incels.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #777 on: April 27, 2020, 04:58:27 pm »

what is with all the Arsenal fans taking so much pleasure in this, so weird! 

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #778 on: April 27, 2020, 04:59:17 pm »
what is with all the Arsenal fans taking so much pleasure in this, so weird!

They aren't likely to be getting much pleasure from their own team's success for a while so guess they need to find it where they can.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #779 on: April 27, 2020, 05:22:24 pm »
They aren't likely to be getting much pleasure from their own team's success for a while so guess they need to find it where they can.

true, but that could be the same for a fair few teams, just noticed it a lot recently - granted on the cess pit that is Twitter, that there isn't a fan base louder than Arsenal at jumping on stuff like this with Liverpool. Just find it a bit odd!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: April 27, 2020, 07:55:09 pm »
true, but that could be the same for a fair few teams, just noticed it a lot recently - granted on the cess pit that is Twitter, that there isn't a fan base louder than Arsenal at jumping on stuff like this with Liverpool. Just find it a bit odd!

Yeah a lot of them have turned into right bellends the last year or two, the three or four Gooners I know are similar to varying degrees. I think it's a combination of things: they're a bit bitter and jealous that we've kinda traded places since we beat them to top four in 2016/17, with us going a step beyond them and actually competing for and winning proper trophies. But that can't explain it all. The invincibles stuff has definitely played a part this season as they were desperate to hold onto that tag and it's probably a case of both sets of fans having childish, irritating fans on social media rubbing each other up the wrong way. Quite why people like the friends I mentioned who aren't directly involved in that bubble let themselves be swayed and influenced by the noise is beyond me, but it is what it is. A shame as I always liked Arsenal growing up in the late 90's / early 00's. No time for them anymore. Toxic fanbase.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:56:53 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: April 27, 2020, 08:02:54 pm »
On topic, I refuse to give that Sky article a click so apologies if i
this was mentioned in it. But an interesting 'anatomical' backdrop to Gerrard's slip was his and Rodgers' reported chat in the New Year of 2014. Rodgers highlighted Gerrard's lack of scanning on the field to give himself more time and opportunitues on the ball, hence moving him into a deep role.

You notice Gerrard scanning at least three or four times before he controls the ball and slips, which I'm sure he was doing for the countless other times preceding a glorious ping out right to Glen Johnson or whoever, but it still looks unnecessary. He definitely took his eye off the ball as an indirect result of that chat and the instructions. With the amount of space he was in, one or two scans was enough.

But without his form in the few months beforehand, which had been helped by more scanning, I seriously doubt we'd have been in the driving seat going into that Chelsea game anyway. Suarez was a phenomenon but it's a massive insult to Gerrard and Sturridge in particular calling that side a one man team.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:04:40 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: April 28, 2020, 02:08:42 pm »
what are they smoking over at the Emirates ;)

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #783 on: May 30, 2020, 08:58:04 am »
40 today. Where did that time go?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online Nin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: May 30, 2020, 10:30:37 am »
LFC tv youtube channel showing every Gerrard goal. Personal favourite is the one against Marseille. Our best ever player.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: May 30, 2020, 10:44:29 am »
Scottish season is over. Temporary signing? How many sub appearances for a medal? ;D

*not serious of course, it's Henderson's time to shine
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: May 30, 2020, 10:47:19 am »
Happy Birthday Steven
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #787 on: May 30, 2020, 11:02:05 am »
Really like that one against Grazer AK (29 on the video), it's incredible technique.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #788 on: May 30, 2020, 11:22:25 am »
Really like that one against Grazer AK (29 on the video), it's incredible technique.

He got to a point around that time where he made the breathtaking seem fairly routine. Some of those goals aren’t spoken about enough, maybe as they weren’t always in huge matches. That ridiculous one against Boro from out on the right, about 35 yards out is just obscene.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #789 on: May 30, 2020, 08:07:56 pm »
Came across this on Twitter earlier.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1264307467539939335

A small list of his compilations over his career. Just forgot how ridiculous of a player he actually was until you watch some of those over again. He literally dominated a game by himself with his all action style of play

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: May 30, 2020, 08:45:41 pm »
From about 2005 to 2010 it was like we were so sick of hearing that we were a "one-man team" that we sometimes didn't give him the credit he deserved. Prime example of this is how people still go on about how Momo was man of the match in the FA Cup final. Two absolute worldies (one in injury time), an assist and a converted penalty in the shootout not quite enough for man of the match ;D

He was an absolute giant. Innocuous moment but I saw this clip on twitter yesterday and it really made me smile. From the Napoli game in 2010 at Anfield, it was actually my first night on the Kop. Under Hodgson it was already all going to shit and we looked to be limping to defeat. Gerrard came on, scored a hat-trick, shushed the Napoli fans and saved the day. Brilliant rendition of his song that night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVt-NszDtI

I think that night sums up how much we owe him. When we had good times, the likes of Owen, Torres and then Suarez got the adulation. Gerrard was fine with that, he loved having players around him who could make Liverpool better. But in those times when we were struggling and key players had left for pastures new he was always there saving our skin. It's still gutting that he never got his hands on the league title but rightly he'll always be remembered for that night in Istanbul and the many years of amazing memories he gave us. Absolutely love him. I know people scoff at it but if he can show himself to be a good manager then there's nothing i'd love more than to see him come back and coach us to that title that eluded him.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:47:53 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: May 30, 2020, 09:10:05 pm »
The best ive seen in a Liverpool shirt. (Premier league era)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: May 30, 2020, 10:45:28 pm »
I will never tire of this imagery married to this commentary.  8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7p1CYdkB4sg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7p1CYdkB4sg</a>

Popcorn's Art

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #793 on: May 30, 2020, 11:44:07 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7p1CYdkB4sg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7p1CYdkB4sg</a>

Amazing. Not heard that commentary before. That goal just gets better with every watch!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: May 31, 2020, 12:13:27 am »
Amazing. Not heard that commentary before. That goal just gets better with every watch!

Glad to share! Amazed you've not heard it though! Aldo's a nutter 😂

Popcorn's Art

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #795 on: May 31, 2020, 11:44:52 am »
It honestly melts my mind how anyone who isn't a Chelsea or United fan can honestly have the Lampard/Scholes/Gerrard debate.

An absolute nonsense

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: May 31, 2020, 11:47:40 am »
His two best goals technique wise imo, were against Middlebsrough at Anfield, and against Marseille at their place.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #797 on: May 31, 2020, 12:55:19 pm »

That’s his best one for me. I know it’s not very hipster but it’s just an absolute thunder bastard. Even without the situation it’d be his best one.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #798 on: May 31, 2020, 01:22:16 pm »
That’s his best one for me. I know it’s not very hipster but it’s just an absolute thunder bastard. Even without the situation it’d be his best one.

I'm biased in that I wasn't in Cardiff. But I was inside Anfield for the Olympiacos game. And I still have shivers when I watch it again....

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: May 31, 2020, 02:08:35 pm »
That goal he scored away at Marseille is up there as one of his best goals, unbelievable technique.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."