Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2933446 times)

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #29400 on: April 19, 2024, 07:22:10 pm »
We sold Fabinho for 50 but people want to sell Mo for 30-40?

Some people honestly shouldn't be allowed to post on this forum  :wave

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
  • I got the ill communication
« Reply #29401 on: April 19, 2024, 07:50:56 pm »
We sold Fabinho for 50 but people want to sell Mo for 30-40?

Some people honestly shouldn't be allowed to post on this forum  :wave
By the start of next season he will be 32. Nobody other than the Saudis will be paying anything over £40m for him and you'd be kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
The alternative is to lose out on a transfer fee, keep paying him his astronomical wages and blocking a new player coming in who is likely to be crucial for the future of the club.
In that scenario the only way the gamble of keeping him pays off is if we win one of the big two next year AND that he plays a big part in us doing so otherwise what's the point?
Nostalgia doesn't pay the bills or win trophies and a club with finite resources needs to box clever, or at least not stupid. In the same contract situation prime Kane goes for around £82m (and that's with a clutch of potential suitors driving the price up rather than just an oil rich league looking for a poster boy) but some on here think a 32 year old Salah is worth more than that? Wow.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29402 on: April 19, 2024, 07:52:28 pm »
By the start of next season he will be 32. Nobody other than the Saudis will be paying anything over £40m for him and you'd be kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
The alternative is to lose out on a transfer fee, keep paying him his astronomical wages and blocking a new player coming in who is likely to be crucial for the future of the club.
In that scenario the only way the gamble of keeping him pays off is if we win one of the big two next year AND that he plays a big part in us doing so otherwise what's the point?
Nostalgia doesn't pay the bills or win trophies and a club with finite resources needs to box clever, or at least not stupid. In the same contract situation prime Kane goes for around £82m (and that's with a clutch of potential suitors driving the price up rather than just an oil rich league looking for a poster boy) but some on here think a 32 year old Salah is worth more than that? Wow.

Yes I do think his worth more than that mate his put up over 20 G/As I'm not even gonna explain my self I dont care his 32.

Do you not think with shirt sales etc over the next 12 months they'll make 5-10m on his name alone?

His name is worth more than 40m. PSG would probably give us a decent fee aswell as he would WALK that league and replace a good chunk of Mbappes output while having a superstar name already. Again shirt sales.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 07:56:21 pm by mullyred94 »

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
« Reply #29403 on: April 19, 2024, 07:57:14 pm »
Yes I do think his worth more than that mate his put up over 20 G/As I'm not even gonna explain my self I dont care his 32.

I know and my daughter is the best daughter in the world but I can't explain that in rational terms either. We're all guilty of it in one way or another I suppose.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29404 on: April 19, 2024, 07:58:45 pm »
I know and my daughter is the best daughter in the world but I can't explain that in rational terms either. We're all guilty of it in one way or another I suppose.

Salah has 26 goal involvements in 26 games in the league right?

Whats your daughter up too lad?

Lets say he gets 20-25 G/A next season. Isn't that worth more than 30 million??????

Who would you get with double that money to replace his output?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 08:02:52 pm by mullyred94 »

Offline yes

• no. prog punditry
  • Kopite
« Reply #29405 on: April 19, 2024, 08:04:02 pm »

Do you not think with shirt sales etc over the next 12 months they'll make 5-10m on his name alone?

His name is worth more than 40m. PSG would probably give us a decent fee aswell as he would WALK that league and replace a good chunk of Mbappes output while having a superstar name already. Again shirt sales.

"I'm not going to explain myself"

* Explains himself *

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29406 on: April 19, 2024, 08:05:45 pm »
"I'm not going to explain myself"

* Explains himself *

Great input to the debate  :)

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29407 on: April 20, 2024, 07:17:08 am »
Saudi would still have to pay a mint for him, I don't think it should be much less than they were offering last summer.  He's still only 31 and would hit 20 goals in any league in the world for the next few years.  He'd be on that for Liverpool now if he didn't go to AFCON.

If Bayern will pay £100m for 30 year old Harry Kane to jinx them, then what's Salah worth to a country with unlimited funds..

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29408 on: April 20, 2024, 08:26:36 am »
Has he even intimated that he'd go to Saudi? Everyone for the past year has talked like selling him to Saudi is a foregone conclusion whenever we feel like it. I don't see him going there ever.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29409 on: April 20, 2024, 10:04:55 am »
Has he even intimated that he'd go to Saudi? Everyone for the past year has talked like selling him to Saudi is a foregone conclusion whenever we feel like it. I don't see him going there ever.

When someone offers you £1mil per week I think it makes your mind up for you, especially with his agent.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #29410 on: April 20, 2024, 10:06:12 am »
Not just a footballer for Saudi etc is he, he's an Icon so get that moolah out

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #29411 on: April 20, 2024, 10:12:57 am »
A lot of people seem to be pushing this Saudi line with Mo, but he's already had the experience of being used by his own Football Association and he wasn't keen about that. He still has ambitions to win things. It seems crazy to me that people ignore that Bayern spent millions on Kane and think other clubs wouldn't do the same for Salah.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #29412 on: April 20, 2024, 11:21:14 am »
A lot of people seem to be pushing this Saudi line with Mo, but he's already had the experience of being used by his own Football Association and he wasn't keen about that. He still has ambitions to win things. It seems crazy to me that people ignore that Bayern spent millions on Kane and think other clubs wouldn't do the same for Salah.

Only if they sell Sane, which I suppose is in a bit of limbo at the moment as with everything else at that club.

I think he’d be a fantastic signing for one of the Serie A giants, he’d start for all of them but I imagine only Juventus would stump up the cash, if they’re not burned by the Ronaldo signing. PSG could be an option, they have versatile forwards that could move across the front line, or he could always play up front for them.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29413 on: April 20, 2024, 11:27:47 am »
Fucking grim state of affairs that our fans are crying out for a dirty Saudi money injection. Would rather see mo leave on a free, to be honest.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #29414 on: April 20, 2024, 11:36:37 am »
We are in a great position here. If hes sold, we get tons of money.
If he stays, we have a great player.

I for one would be excited to see how a new manager would use him. He fits increasingly worse into the classic Klopp winger role, and maybe a new role in a different system would be better

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29415 on: April 20, 2024, 12:14:02 pm »
We are in a great position here. If hes sold, we get tons of money.
If he stays, we have a great player.

I for one would be excited to see how a new manager would use him. He fits increasingly worse into the classic Klopp winger role, and maybe a new role in a different system would be better

It's more about money now, then actual football.

The second line I agree with.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29416 on: April 20, 2024, 12:17:26 pm »
Only if they sell Sane, which I suppose is in a bit of limbo at the moment as with everything else at that club.

I think he’d be a fantastic signing for one of the Serie A giants, he’d start for all of them but I imagine only Juventus would stump up the cash, if they’re not burned by the Ronaldo signing. PSG could be an option, they have versatile forwards that could move across the front line, or he could always play up front for them.

I'm not saying he'd go to Bayern just that it's a joke that other clubs wouldn't offer money for a player like Salah. I think he's got a lot left yet, this is the first real injury he's had overall, his fitness levels going through his career have been insane. It's natural that it would take him longer to get over the injury. But people are always in a hurry to be shot of people even a player of Salah's class.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #29417 on: April 20, 2024, 02:29:39 pm »
Its going to be an "interesting" summer generally with some big contracts with 1 year to go and new management and people running the football side of things.

Plus we have no idea what Mo wants to do anyway.

I struggle to imagine the new leadership at the club offering a multi-year extension to Mo on something like current wages, even a single season extension has a bit less value as I presume that rolls into another AFCON year, and this is the second straight AFCON year where it feels like Mo has really struggled to regain form after returning.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29418 on: April 20, 2024, 04:39:39 pm »
Saudi would still have to pay a mint for him, I don't think it should be much less than they were offering last summer.  He's still only 31 and would hit 20 goals in any league in the world for the next few years.  He'd be on that for Liverpool now if he didn't go to AFCON.

If Bayern will pay £100m for 30 year old Harry Kane to jinx them, then what's Salah worth to a country with unlimited funds..

17 in 26 in the EPL is still amazing.

He'd score a goal a game if not more in Saudi, IMO he'd still walk ligue 1 and maybe serie A.

Basically still one of the best players in the EPL in terms of G/A

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #29419 on: April 20, 2024, 04:42:06 pm »

Off topic but I'd love to have Sane at Liverpool, I think he's a great player that would fit our system well. Plus it would wind up Abu Dhabi.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #29420 on: April 20, 2024, 06:53:54 pm »
17 in 26 in the EPL is still amazing.

He'd score a goal a game if not more in Saudi, IMO he'd still walk ligue 1 and maybe serie A.

Basically still one of the best players in the EPL in terms of G/A

7 attempted penalties in there with 5 scored which boosts the numbers a little, still very good obviously

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29421 on: April 20, 2024, 07:34:56 pm »
7 attempted penalties in there with 5 scored which boosts the numbers a little, still very good obviously

As others have mentioned as well his play making is still there, and if we are to judge him on what we know him to be probably should have another 5ish goals as some of his finishing has been wayward.

I'd rather cash in on Diaz if PSG want to pay 70m as he'd be easier to replace than Salah which I don't think anyone would argue with.

Let him walk  ( hopefully get 1-2 extension ) unless its 100m its worth more to keep him then to sell for 30-40m IMO.

With a new manager in I would keep Salah even for 12 months because his probably the only player apart from Jota to get 15-20 league goals and it would be too much change for Klopp and Salah to go at once.

Offline MosDefKop

• Main Stander
« Reply #29422 on: April 20, 2024, 08:03:14 pm »
It seems to be generally agreed that Salah is in decline but remains a very good player.
However, it is madness to keep paying him £350-400k per week. It would also be madness to let him go for free when we turned down £150m a year ago.

I think things, if not by design, has worked out as well as could be hoped for.
He is at that magic point where he has declined enough to sell without upsetting fans too much, yet still good enough to get a decent fee.

I think it is sensible to give the new manager a clean slate and release him from the handcuffs of having to fit Salah in the team even if he does not merit it.  It was a blessing for Klopp not to have to be the one to drop Gerrard or try shoe horn him in.  I would be very surprised if he stays for next year. Hard to say how much we would get for him, but certain the Saudis will over pay. Right now with Kane better, I would be delighted if we got any more than the £82m Kane went for.

So, not a problem. But he will be missed, always loved and an absolute top tier legend.

(Sane has been mentioned, great replacement but would be even more pleased with Isak with his chance conversion stats, if Diaz also leaves then there is room for both)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 08:05:14 pm by MosDefKop »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29423 on: April 20, 2024, 08:13:27 pm »
A 28 year old Sane with 8 goals and 11 assists is apparently a good replacement for Salah. A player who hasn’t scored more than 10 goals playing for Bayern in a more open league than the PL.

Just to show how much people are underrating Salah on here.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29424 on: April 20, 2024, 08:20:09 pm »
Leroy Sane is a top player by the way, one of the better wide forwards around, I’m not sure if he would be a great replacement for Salah though, in fact I’m not quite sure who would be.

Would probably be best served buying a younger player like Bakayoko, and allow him to play alongside Salah or deputise for him for a season or two before moving Salah on.

Offline MosDefKop

• Main Stander
« Reply #29425 on: April 20, 2024, 08:22:37 pm »
A 28 year old Sane with 8 goals and 11 assists is apparently a good replacement for Salah. A player who hasn’t scored more than 10 goals playing for Bayern in a more open league than the PL.

I personally would look to replace Salah's goal with a proper prolific Number nine such as Isak.
The pace Sane clearly still has would stretch teams and be devastating on the counter. Isak is lightening as well.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29426 on: April 20, 2024, 08:23:27 pm »

There isn't a replacement, who ever we sign will most likely be a downgrade unless they do what Salah did when he first signed.

EDIT - No chance anyone replicates what he did when signed can't see it.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #29427 on: April 20, 2024, 08:26:04 pm »
Salah's record is skewed by the penalties. He has 12 non-penalty goals and 5 penalties. Give the penalties to Macca, and we'd be looking to replace 12 goals and 9 assists. That is still a lot, it would take a great player, but it's a completely different player profile than the Salah of 2-3 years ago.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29428 on: April 20, 2024, 08:26:53 pm »
I personally would look to replace Salah's goal with a proper prolific Number nine such as Isak.
The pace Sane clearly still has would stretch teams and be devastating on the counter. Isak is lightening as well.

Theres not a single player we could sign that would replace his goals, it would likely take two signings hitting the ground to replicate his output.

We have to get more out of Diaz also or upgrade to someone else more effective.

Its going to take 2-3 players to replace Salahs 30-40 goals in all comps.

In an ideal world Nunez hits potential aswell and becomes a 20+ PL scorer.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29429 on: April 20, 2024, 08:33:04 pm »
Salah's record is skewed by the penalties. He has 12 non-penalty goals and 5 penalties. Give the penalties to Macca, and we'd be looking to replace 12 goals and 9 assists. That is still a lot, it would take a great player, but it's a completely different player profile than the Salah of 2-3 years ago.

I’m sure he scored a similar amount of penalties in the 21/22 season and 20/21 season.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29430 on: April 20, 2024, 08:41:09 pm »
Salah is 1.09 goals and assists per 90

Olise is 0.97
Jota is 1.01
Nunez is 0.91

Gakpo is 0.66
Diaz is 0.5

Olise would be a great pick up, £65mil release clause, and getting the rest of our attackers fit and firing.

If we sold Salah of course, he wouldn't be top of my list of outgoings this summer.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29431 on: April 20, 2024, 08:42:19 pm »

Olise is 0.97
Jota is 1.01
Nunez is 0.91

Gakpo is 0.66
Diaz is 0.5

Olise would be a great pick up, and getting the rest of our attackers fit and firing.

If we sold Salah of course, he wouldn't be top of my list of outgoings this summer.

Olise loves an injury

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29432 on: April 20, 2024, 08:50:12 pm »
We don't need to "replace" him neither did we need to replace Coutinho.

Strengthen the team because it's a "team" game at the end of the day.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29433 on: April 20, 2024, 09:10:56 pm »

Olise is 0.97
Jota is 1.01
Nunez is 0.91

Gakpo is 0.66
Diaz is 0.5

Olise would be a great pick up, £65mil release clause, and getting the rest of our attackers fit and firing.

How is Kudus?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29434 on: April 20, 2024, 09:11:33 pm »

We didnt need to replace Coutinho because Coutinho wasnt our best player or our best attacker.

Same with Mane. Its a different story now with Salah and no amount of supposed teamwork with our remaining attackers makes up for it.

We are up against Man City and the only time we have competed is when we have had several world class players. Most of those havent been replaced and we are not competing on teamwork alone.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29435 on: April 20, 2024, 09:12:58 pm »

We strengthened our team with VVD and Alisson + Fabinho, not only is there not anyone on the market comparable to those three but there also isn’t a big gap in our team we had then. When we replaced Coutinho we still had a Salah who was in the midst of having arguably the best season in PL history, and Mane too.

Completely different circumstances, any marginal gain we can make from improving our a team and squad which is already good, can be done with Salah in the team.

We don’t need to spend hundreds of millions this summer, the squad doesn’t call for it.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #29436 on: April 20, 2024, 09:16:22 pm »
This whole "selling Salah to invest" narrative is rather small time. Keep him around until he stops scoring goals or making assists altogether, he is a leader and the perfect role model for the attacking lineup entire team.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29437 on: April 20, 2024, 09:17:26 pm »
We didnt need to replace Coutinho because Coutinho wasnt our best player or our best attacker.

Same with Mane. Its a different story now with Salah and no amount of supposed teamwork with our remaining attackers makes up for it.

We are up against Man City and the only time we have competed is when we have had several world class players. Most of those havent been replaced and we are not competing on teamwork alone.
It's about addressing  our weaknesses. For example,  1 goal will be enough more often than not if we tighten up and start keeping more clean sheets.

Coutinho was our best player at that point but we can agree to disagree.  With respect to "world clas" almost all of them to a man weren't "world class" when we signed them.

Online MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29438 on: April 20, 2024, 09:18:57 pm »

We strengthened our team with VVD and Alisson + Fabinho, not only is there not anyone on the market comparable to those three but there also isn’t a big gap in our team we had then. When we replaced Coutinho we still had a Salah who was in the midst of having arguably the best season in PL history, and Mane too.

Completely different circumstances, any marginal gain we can make from improving our a team and squad which is already good, can be done with Salah in the team.

We don’t need to spend hundreds of millions this summer, the squad doesn’t call for it.
Improving defensively and not going a goal down 20 times? is not a marginal gain mate :D

But it's just one example.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29439 on: April 20, 2024, 09:19:56 pm »
Improving defensively and not going a goal down 20 times? is not a marginal gain mate :D

But it's just one example.

We can do that without selling Salah.