Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2912289 times)

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *
« Reply #29320 on: April 19, 2024, 08:08:50 am »
5 of his 17 in the league alone are penalties

That’s still good, plus 9 assists and the most chances created in our team.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 08:17:47 am by Coolie High »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29321 on: April 19, 2024, 08:19:58 am »
Out of interest those who want shot of Salah would you get rid of f all the 30+ players? Or does this just apply to Mo? It's appeared to me for a while, that we lack a certain amount of leadership at the moment. So, how far would everyone go here?

Good point because anyone who saying VVD looks at his best is deluded. Just like Salah he had a period where he looked great during parts of this season, but for the last few weeks has looked below his best, no mention or word on selling him and I’m sure a team would offer a similar fee to what they would Salah if he came on the market.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29322 on: April 19, 2024, 08:26:51 am »
Doubt we would get more than £40M for Salah now. I don’t think that £200m Saudi bid was real anyway. I know there was publicity about that and Mbappe bid etc, but did they actually pay anything like that kind of money for anyone?

Offline decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29323 on: April 19, 2024, 08:28:23 am »
My point is, we have a number of players approaching their 30's now so it goes without saying planning is needed. But it's got to be done with foresight. The likes of Van Dijk has had his issues as well, yet there doesn't seem the same enthusiasm to break with him, in the way there is for Salah. Get shot of the majority of 30+ players we will just end up like Arsenal.

To be fair, I slightly misread your post.

But still I don't think it's fair to act as though people discussing selling Salah is purely an age thing. People will want Salah to stay as long as he looks like a very good player. At the moment he doesn't. The drop off is alarming and not comparable to anyone else in the squad.

Looking at other players over 30, there's basically only Alisson, Robertson and Van Dijk - not counting Matip or Thiago who are both almost certainly leaving for free in the summer. Robertson is playing OK, possibly not up to his 2018-20 level, but still decent. Alisson is still the best in the world and goalkeepers are different when it comes to age. Van Dijk has had an incredible season, and I wouldn't blame him for the recent slump either.

And as I said previously, we wouldn't get anything like the same money for any of them as we might for Salah.

Discussing selling Salah as a legitimate option isn't the same as wanting to ship out all the experience in our squad. It's disingenuous to act like that's what people are doing.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 08:32:17 am by decosabute »

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #29324 on: April 19, 2024, 08:30:28 am »
If you are more defensively sound the need for a huge output is lessoned because one goal will be enough to win games. Currently, we need at least two goals to win games. Last night was our first clean sheet in an age.

Just over a month, not an age …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29325 on: April 19, 2024, 08:31:49 am »
Good point because anyone who saying VVD looks at his best is deluded. Just like Salah he had a period where he looked great during parts of this season, but for the last few weeks has looked below his best, no mention or word on selling him and I’m sure a team would offer a similar fee to what they would Salah if he came on the market.

To compare VVD's and Salah's drop off is mad.

Virg has gone from being possible PFA Player of the Year to merely a good defender in recent weeks - are people really acting like Virgil is the problem lately? He wasn't at fault for either goal vs United. Wasn't at fault for the Palace goal. Wasn't at fault for anything last night.

Salah on the other hand has gone off a cliff. It's not a valid comparison at all.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29326 on: April 19, 2024, 08:31:55 am »
Isn't the point Salah currently has the biggest privileges in the team, he is the one who has far less defensive responsibility (not that he doesn't help out) and is given that freedom so he can be the focal point of our break aways. We're at this tipping point where his output and general play is starting to not offset same said privileges.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #29327 on: April 19, 2024, 08:37:25 am »
To be fair, I slightly misread your post.

But still I don't think it's fair to act as though people discussing selling Salah is purely an age thing. People will want Salah to stay as long as he looks like a very good player. At the moment he doesn't. The drop off is alarming and not comparable to anyone else in the squad.

Looking at other players over 30, there's basically only Alisson, Robertson and Van Dijk - not counting Matip or Thiago who are both almost certainly leaving for free in the summer. Robertson is playing OK, possibly not up to his 2018-20 level, but still decent. Alisson is still the best in the world and goalkeepers are different when it comes to age. Van Dijk has had an incredible season, and I wouldn't blame him for the recent slump either.

And as I said previously, we wouldn't get anything like the same money for any of them as we might for Salah.

Discussing selling Salah as a legitimate option isn't the same as wanting to ship out all the experience in our squad. It's disingenuous to act like that's what people are doing.

You are misunderstanding my post that's why. I am curious why it's such an issue with Salah when we've also had inconsistent form from Virgil and Robbo as well. I understand the argument about money as we will get more, but there just appears to be a different attitude with different players for some reason.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29328 on: April 19, 2024, 08:38:54 am »
To compare VVD's and Salah's drop off is mad.

Virg has gone from being possible PFA Player of the Year to merely a good defender in recent weeks - are people really acting like Virgil is the problem lately? He wasn't at fault for either goal vs United. Wasn't at fault for the Palace goal. Wasn't at fault for anything last night.

Salah on the other hand has gone off a cliff. It's not a valid comparison at all.

Bizarre to bring that up because Salah was one of the favourites to win PFA player of the year himself until a couple weeks, it’s almost as people can’t get into their heads that Salah has been one of the premier leagues most creative players this season while also being one of its top goal scorers, he had as good of a chance as winning the PFA player of the year as anyone in our squad or league.

VVD doesn’t need to be at fault for any goal, to not be his best, he hasn’t looked as proactive, even yesterday there’s times he was looking as if he was jogging when his running towaards the opposition player should have been more intense.

Also he has definitely lost some pace and mobility after his big injury, so that whole lackadaisical style he has gets exposed a bit more.

Arguably our defence should be taking more slack than an attack who has scored the most in Europe this seasons up until a couple weeks ago.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29329 on: April 19, 2024, 08:39:19 am »
Isn't the point Salah currently has the biggest privileges in the team, he is the one who has far less defensive responsibility (not that he doesn't help out) and is given that freedom so he can be the focal point of our break aways. We're at this tipping point where his output and general play is starting to not offset same said privileges.

His output?

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29330 on: April 19, 2024, 08:40:36 am »
You are misunderstanding my post that's why. I am curious why it's such an issue with Salah when we've also had inconsistent form from Virgil and Robbo as well. I understand the argument about money as we will get more, but there just appears to be a different attitude with different players for some reason.

I don't see what I misunderstood? And as I said to another poster above, comparing Virgil and Robertson with the drop off we've seen from Salah in 2024 doesn't hold up as anything close to valid. Those two players have still been playing at an OK level.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #29331 on: April 19, 2024, 08:41:05 am »
No offence but I would rather lose Salah than VVD. Especially as in a back three VVD will be protected more which will extend his shelf life.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29332 on: April 19, 2024, 08:46:48 am »
Bizarre to bring that up because Salah was one of the favourites to win PFA player of the year himself until a couple weeks, it’s almost as people can’t get into their heads that Salah has been one of the premier leagues most creative players this season while also being one of its top goal scorers, he had as good of a chance as winning the PFA player of the year as anyone in our squad or league.

VVD doesn’t need to be at fault for any goal, to not be his best, he hasn’t looked as proactive, even yesterday there’s times he was looking as if he was jogging when his running towaards the opposition player should have been more intense.

Also he has definitely lost some pace and mobility after his big injury, so that whole lackadaisical style he has gets exposed a bit more.

Arguably our defence should be taking more slack than an attack who has scored the most in Europe this seasons up until a couple weeks ago.

No one was saying Salah was in the running for PFA player of the year at any point in 2024. He had a very good first half of the season, definitely, but you're still saying stuff that isn't true to make a comparison I think is invalid.

I'd allow that Virgil looks more sluggish the last few weeks - it was notable at times last night. But firstly, he's still not costing us in the same way, and also with him it simply comes down to mental and physical fatigue I think. He's played every minute of every big game. It's not the same for Salah, who barely played a minute of football in January or February, and isn't even playing all the minutes at the moment.

I still think you comparing the two things doesn't stack up at all.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 08:51:12 am by decosabute »

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29333 on: April 19, 2024, 09:04:43 am »
His output?

Since AFCON it's been pretty average no?

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #29334 on: April 19, 2024, 09:12:23 am »
His stats dont really look like they've dropped off. He's just in one of those runs that we've seen him have before, where he's not really scoring as often. He's still getting in the position to score, he's still running in behind, still creating opportunities. At a guess the main reason attackers output drop off as they get older is because physically they're not as sharp in getting in the positions, rather than actually being able to finish. But he is, so not really too concerned.

I think there probably is a decision to be made in the summer if we get a load of Saudi dollars chucked at us again, but I don't think we'd accept because his 'legs have gone'.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29335 on: April 19, 2024, 09:23:06 am »
People are still not able to answer who definitively replaces Salah and his numbers in this squad. Salah is still the star and quite frankly any combination of the four remaining has their own issues and is quite frankly a rung down in talent levels compared to what City put out.

We are making a sport of losing our top players and frankly not replacing them.
His replacement is a stronger team unit. It won't be any individual. IMO, we played better as a team when he was out.

Better workrate across the front line
More unpredictability in our attack because there's less pressure to give it to the superstar.

Also, the data guys would have enough money to play with. His wages alone can fund two 200k-aweek contracts or a £100m transfer fee.

My opinion is that like Thiago last summer,  I don't see the value in keeping him.

General question for those who'll try to make it what it isn't (not directed at you specifically)

Is he currently worth 400k a week or 20M a year?
Would you extend his contract or risk losing him on a free? (Personally I wouldn't extend his contract because I don't see the value)
If he leaves for free, wouldn't that make it harder to "replace" him? (We'd be forgoing a fee that can be reinvested)
Should the new manager be burdened with the pressure of shoehorning a declining superstar into the team? (His natural position is certainly not his best position anymore).

The above considerations is why I feel we should sell him next summer and this has nothing to do with other 30 years. That's just a point made to derail the thread IMO. The situations of Virg, Alisson and Robbo are not similar to this.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 09:25:57 am by MonsLibpool »

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #29336 on: April 19, 2024, 09:28:19 am »

Apparently the top ten best paid players in the PL are:

De Bruyne, Haaland, Salah, Casemiro, Varane, Sterling, Grealish, Silva, Rashford and Havertz.

Wages clearly don't always relate to quality. I'd rather pay him £400k a week over any of those other players, aside from maybe Haaland.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29337 on: April 19, 2024, 09:33:10 am »
His replacement is a stronger team unit. It won't be any individual. IMO, we played better as a team when he was out.

Better workrate across the front line
More unpredictability in our attack because there's less pressure to give it to the superstar.

Also, the data guys would have enough money to play with. His wages alone can fund two 200k-aweek contracts or a £100m transfer fee.

My opinion is that like Thiago last summer,  I don't see the value in keeping him.

General question for those who'll try to make it what it isn't (not directed at you specifically)

Would you extend his contract or risk losing him on a free? (Personally I wouldn't extend his contract because I don't see the value)
If he leaves for free, wouldn't that make it harder to "replace" him? (We'd be forgoing a fee that can be reinvested)
Should the new manager be burdened with the pressure of shoehorning a declining superstar into the team? (His natural position is certainly not his best position anymore).

The above considerations is why I feel we should sell him next summer and this has nothing to do with other 30 years. That's just a point made to derail the thread IMO. The situations of Virg, Alisson and Robbo are not similar to this.

Don't agree. The whole team unit thing is fine but doesn't lead to many major honours. You do need those stand out players in order to compete and win the big pots. As a group Mane, Firmino and Salah were great but individually Mane and Salah were two of the top five wingers in the world.

The attack loses Salah and we lose our best player. We would need to recruit some really top players to even consider selling him.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29338 on: April 19, 2024, 09:37:37 am »
Don't agree. The whole team unit thing is fine but doesn't lead to many major honours. You do need those stand out players in order to compete and win the big pots. As a group Mane, Firmino and Salah were great but individually Mane and Salah were two of the top five wingers in the world.

The attack loses Salah and we lose our best player. We would need to recruit some really top players to even consider selling him.

Exactly.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29339 on: April 19, 2024, 09:44:17 am »

Salah will have to be replaced at some point in the near future, no?

Offering him a new contract or letting him leave for free would not be the best decision.  What if he declines further next season? And where will he play anyway (not quick enough for the wing anymore and his hold up play isn't good enough to be a number 9). If he plays as a number 10, then we'll leave huge gaps in the middle because he can't track back anymore.

That's football.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29340 on: April 19, 2024, 09:46:40 am »
In an ideal world we give him a one year extension but he and his agent would have every right to tell us to go fuck ourselves. He will want to squeeze as much money out of the remainder of his career as possible and fair enough.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29341 on: April 19, 2024, 09:50:43 am »

Offering him a new contract or letting him leave for free would not be the best decision.  What if he declines further next season? And where will he play anyway (not quick enough for the wing anymore and his hold up play isn't good enough to be a number 9). If he plays as a number 10, then we'll leave huge gaps in the middle because he can't track back anymore.

That's football.

Of course he has to be replaced. But you replace him when you already have a functioning and proven attack. We sold Coutinho when we had Mane,Firmino and Salah. We sold Mane, we still had Salah. The fact is any time we have sold a player and especially attackers, the club has had a player there or a group of players there ready and proven.

I would be far more sanguine about the situation if we knew we had a proven attacker. If Nunez would have banged in 20 league goals or something close then I would be ok with what the club did. Now, if we sell Salah we have players all with some level of question over their heads. We literally would have to scour the market to sign a player that would be our best attacker. Thats not a great place to be.

Id rather we keep Salah for one more season at least and sign a top attacker now and look to see if next season we can have someone come to prominence.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29342 on: April 19, 2024, 09:57:00 am »
No one was saying Salah was in the running for PFA player of the year at any point in 2024. He had a very good first half of the season, definitely, but you're still saying stuff that isn't true to make a comparison I think is invalid.

I'd allow that Virgil looks more sluggish the last few weeks - it was notable at times last night. But firstly, he's still not costing us in the same way, and also with him it simply comes down to mental and physical fatigue I think. He's played every minute of every big game. It's not the same for Salah, who barely played a minute of football in January or February, and isn't even playing all the minutes at the moment.

I still think you comparing the two things doesn't stack up at all.

People were saying this just a few weeks ago when he had the most goal contributions in the league, you are wrong you can check on twitter, on here anywhere you want.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29343 on: April 19, 2024, 09:58:41 am »

That's football.

This is the crux of the matter with so much of the debate on there.

I can understand people saying that we shouldn't sell etc, because it's a risk of a downgrade with how we replace him.

But for me a lot of that viewpoint is acting as though Salah is still a player who's at his best and will continue to be. Eventually - and not in the distant future either - he won't be a player that's difficult to replace. It's very arguable he's already showing signs of that.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29344 on: April 19, 2024, 09:58:45 am »
Of course he has to be replaced. But you replace him when you already have a functioning and proven attack. We sold Coutinho when we had Mane,Firmino and Salah. We sold Mane, we still had Salah. The fact is any time we have sold a player and especially attackers, the club has had a player there or a group of players there ready and proven.

I would be far more sanguine about the situation if we knew we had a proven attacker. If Nunez would have banged in 20 league goals or something close then I would be ok with what the club did. Now, if we sell Salah we have players all with some level of question over their heads. We literally would have to scour the market to sign a player that would be our best attacker. Thats not a great place to be.

Id rather we keep Salah for one more season at least and sign a top attacker now and look to see if next season we can have someone come to prominence.

Exactly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29345 on: April 19, 2024, 10:00:06 am »
Exactly.

I was just going to say the same thing, sums up my fears entirely.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #29346 on: April 19, 2024, 10:02:14 am »
If you’re going to have a superstar player that you allow to ‘cheat’ without the ball, he has to be a really dynamic forward that’s creating every type of problem for the opposition. The best example I can give is Vinicius at Madrid, he doesn’t really track back but he does work hard and press high without the ball. They keep him as high up the field as possible as his pace/agility stretches teams and he can be devastating attacking space. Salah is currently the player we allow to cheat the most without the ball, we regularly allow him to stay high because if we win the ball back we want him attacking space and looking to take up a position to end the counter attack or at least be involved in the closing moments around the box.

He’s not looking as dynamic anymore which makes this tactic less effective. This leads to teams taking more risks themselves with and without the ball, pushing men higher to press and committing more players as they attack down our right hand side. Yes he’s improved as a player who can operate between the lines, his final ball and general vision have never looked better at times but you literally have to tick nearly every box at the biggest clubs if you’re going to be afforded the luxury of not dropping back. It’s clear from any eye test the risks vs rewards with Mo just aren’t what they were, I don’t see a world where giving him a new deal’s on the table. Edwards, Hughes, Spearman etc are all tasked with finding maximum value with every decision we make as a club. I find it hard to believe one more year of Mo and losing him for free represents best value, nor does giving him another huge contract based on past performance and status within the game.

For me it could be another Coutinho moment. Yes we’re losing arguably our best player, but what we can do with that money, potentially signing 2-3 elite players this summer and renewing some key player contracts would put us in a much stronger position than keeping Salah for one more year.

Offline decosabute

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29347 on: April 19, 2024, 10:02:51 am »

While I'm not sure I agree overall, I think there are some fair points here.

If I felt like we could rely on Jota's fitness it would help matters. But there's every chance that he misses significant time again next season, that Gakpo doesn't kick on, and that Darwin continues to be hit and miss. The only one of our attackers where I feel like I know what to expect from him is Diaz.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29348 on: April 19, 2024, 10:03:35 am »

Where would Mo play?

By keeping, would you extend his contract or let him walk for free?

The transfer fee + wages can be reinvested in a top class focal point (that's what the nerds are hired for).

Do we need the money? No but for me it's the opportunity cost. The current version of the players is not worth forgoing the fee and wages for.

If we were offered 50m for him, that's 20m of wages (equivalent to a £100m transfer fee) + £50m of profit (he's been here long enough to not have a book value.

Would you pay £150m for a declining Mo Salah to stay for another season where he might even decline further because effectively that's what it boils down to. For me, it's a no but that's with his wages dropping off the books soon anyway. A decent transfer fee for a declining player should not be forgone but it's my opinion and it's a forum so debates can be had.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #29349 on: April 19, 2024, 10:05:50 am »
Another consideration for Edwards and co is they lose Salah to AFCON every other season and nearly always afterwards his form dips.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #29350 on: April 19, 2024, 10:07:55 am »
But we need 2-3 other players in other positions as well
So I dont think we spend big money on a proven striker (and it will take big money) and keep Salah for 1 yr when he can then go for free
I think its either or - we sell Salah and use the money for a replacement
And I propose we do that

Seems like if you want Salah to be sold you are somehow less a fan - without remembering this club has sold some of its very biggest stars In the past and been all the stronger for it

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29351 on: April 19, 2024, 10:13:05 am »
Doubt we would get more than £40M for Salah now. I don’t think that £200m Saudi bid was real anyway. I know there was publicity about that and Mbappe bid etc, but did they actually pay anything like that kind of money for anyone?

We would do I mean they paid £40m for Fabinho who cant move !

IMO it would take £70-100m for us to really consider it though it depends what he wants too.

Offline Barryg21

• Main Stander
« Reply #29352 on: April 19, 2024, 10:16:21 am »

IMO it would take £70-100m for us to really consider it though it depends what he wants too.

I think last yrs Saudi bids represent I high point in stupidity....
I think this summer they will be lower.

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29353 on: April 19, 2024, 10:29:59 am »
If you’re going to have a superstar player that you allow to ‘cheat’ without the ball, he has to be a really dynamic forward that’s creating every type of problem for the opposition. The best example I can give is Vinicius at Madrid, he doesn’t really track back but he does work hard and press high without the ball. They keep him as high up the field as possible as his pace/agility stretches teams and he can be devastating attacking space. Salah is currently the player we allow to cheat the most without the ball, we regularly allow him to stay high because if we win the ball back we want him attacking space and looking to take up a position to end the counter attack or at least be involved in the closing moments around the box.

He’s not looking as dynamic anymore which makes this tactic less effective. This leads to teams taking more risks themselves with and without the ball, pushing men higher to press and committing more players as they attack down our right hand side. Yes he’s improved as a player who can operate between the lines, his final ball and general vision have never looked better at times but you literally have to tick nearly every box at the biggest clubs if you’re going to be afforded the luxury of not dropping back. It’s clear from any eye test the risks vs rewards with Mo just aren’t what they were, I don’t see a world where giving him a new deal’s on the table. Edwards, Hughes, Spearman etc are all tasked with finding maximum value with every decision we make as a club. I find it hard to believe one more year of Mo and losing him for free represents best value, nor does giving him another huge contract based on past performance and status within the game.

For me it could be another Coutinho moment. Yes we’re losing arguably our best player, but what we can do with that money, potentially signing 2-3 elite players this summer and renewing some key player contracts would put us in a much stronger position than keeping Salah for one more year.

Good post you use Madrid as an example but don’t use the biggest example of what you’re describing in the last few years, which would be Ronaldo.

Ronaldo of course had extraordinary output but he worked far less for his team than Salah did, and also ran in behind far less.

Salah is still getting chances and still able to run in behind defences, the problem has been his finishing, yesterday it was his movement and dynamism that allowed him to get the chance he missed in the first place.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29354 on: April 19, 2024, 10:33:13 am »
I think last yrs Saudi bids represent I high point in stupidity....
I think this summer they will be lower.

Yeah I doubt they bid £200m as we would without question have accepted that.

Mo can still run for a start, he is ONLY 31, he scores LOTS of goals and is a global star.

The bidding starts at £70m imo.

If he is still here next season id back him to bag 20/25 goals not many players do that.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #29355 on: April 19, 2024, 10:51:31 am »

Fabinho was nowhere near as immobile as people make out now. Plus if he stayed, we would have rebuilt him. We had the technology …

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29356 on: April 19, 2024, 11:08:40 am »
Fabinho was nowhere near as immobile as people make out now. Plus if he stayed, we would have rebuilt him. We had the technology …

I dont know mate he just couldnt run anymore but put two players who can and it would help for sure.

We are LFC though and when that happens if you get good money you move them on like all Italian clubs do they are the best in the business knowing when to say your time is up.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29357 on: April 19, 2024, 11:16:11 am »
Had he scored that 1 on 1 around the 40th minute mark, we would have completed the comeback later on. He tried the most difficult shot given the positioning of the keeper and it wasn't even close to going in.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Historical Fool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #29358 on: April 19, 2024, 11:19:59 am »
I dont know mate he just couldnt run anymore but put two players who can and it would help for sure.

We are LFC though and when that happens if you get good money you move them on like all Italian clubs do they are the best in the business knowing when to say your time is up.

I want to say Pirlo but I accept that is a single anecdotal example. Also ironic as for many years the Italian league was where geriatrics went to still play at the top level …

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29359 on: April 19, 2024, 11:20:01 am »
I'm his biggest fan and have always been staunchly against selling him, but if a big offer comes in, I think there will be a debate to be had.