Author Topic: 'stand up for the 96' after the announcement  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 'stand up for the 96' after the announcement
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:19 am »
Safe standing would solve all this

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 10:51:53 am »
My two cents:

It's next to impossible to sing when you are sitting down. Anfield needs a good atmosphere, it's what we're famous for. We should be allowed to stand. The real danger in terms of stadium disasters was the crushing more so than the standing. No that seats are allocated, even if you stand it ensures that the place will never be too packed to cause any serious danger.

Safe standing all the way!
this is what i've repeatedly said. anyone that has been to any champions league quarter final/semi finalcan tell you that this type of standing benefits the team and is not dangerous.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline redannie

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 11:07:30 am »
this is what i've repeatedly said. anyone that has been to any champions league quarter final/semi finalcan tell you that this type of standing benefits the team and is not dangerous.

It comforts me to know that despite not being able to see ANY part of the last CL semi against Chelsea because of the 7ft brick wall stood in front of me benefited the team because it surely didn't benefit me!

However, that was not the point of the OP.Was it disrespectful to the 96 to use the 'stand up....' chant in defiance of the announcement? It certainly seems so

Offline Anfieldite

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 11:10:42 am »
to all supporters to sit down.  I think that was well out of order yesterday.

Now of course the majority of people in there yesterday felt obliged to join in, we all want justice right?

But how, when we all know what the Hillsborough families views on standing are, does anyone feel like its right to immediately defy the rules of the stadium after such an announcement? They don't want any aspect of standing back in football so for me that was totally disrespectful.

Don't know how many agree but its black and white for me - whatever your views on the subject.

Hillsbrough didn't happen because people stood up.

However, the authorities are happy for people to believe this myth.

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
  • those were the days my friend.
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 11:21:33 am »
Erm I don't buy a ticket there - I have a ST further along.

But there are plenty of people who do have stand in the Kop (who are not in those blocks) simply because those blocks refuse to sit down.

I dont get why people moan about things like this when you can move seats and dont have to buy tickets if your not happy with view or people round you ect.

I was in block 303 a couple a years ago and moved because there was too many boring moaning bastards in that block.

I didnt go on the internet and moan about it I just took up the option of moving my seat for the following seasons.

Its like people whi sit in the main stand and buying a ticket in the kop and moaning aout the noise.

If you dont like your seat or the people who sit by you then why not just move?
The Boss is fucking boss!

Offline ElNino08

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 11:24:46 am »
It's a disgrace that the chant was used just because of an announcement.

It baffles me and it's the same every year,

Last year at the hillsbrough memorial service there was upraw when it was suggested that the fa or whoever it was have been  looking into having standing at football games back,then the first game after this everyone was standing again or moaning if been told to sit down,

I think the majority of people stand not cause they want to but cause they have too kop or no kop,this debate could go on all day but we as a club know more than anyone know how dangerous standing can be and if your adult enough to be at the game you should understand why your being asked to sit

All that about atmosphere is bollocks and "I can stand cause I'm at the back" is bollocks too

Finally how is it near impossible to sing if your sitting down get a fucking grip!!!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:28:56 am by ElNino08 »

Offline Naughtykid

• Ignore everyone else, listen to me. I SAID LISTEN TO ME!!! Oi! Where are you all going?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:03 am »
Using the 96 as a vehicle for improving the atmosphere is fucking shameful, and anyone getting involved should hang their fucking heads.

Offline Fontaine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:29 pm »

You're not wrong about the timing of the chant, it shouldn't have happened.  You're wrong about almost everything else you said though.  If people want to stand at the football it should be accommodated safely. 

Anyway there's plenty of thread's on the standng issue for that discussion to be had, the op was about the chant which nobody can argue was unfortunate.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 12:17:52 pm »
Some people need to be sorted out on this thread.  Sections 306/305 (304?) were all re-seated a few years back as part of RTK to try to get some atmosphere back into the middle (top) of the Kop.  That's what we do there (I'm in 305, personally), and it involves standing (hard to sing all the time when you're sitting).  Everyone in those sections knows the deal, and if they didn't want to sit there then there'd be a queue out the door looking to swap seats - best spec in the house, if you ask me!  As for the appropriateness of Stand up for the 96 after the call to sit, then you're reading too much into it if you ask me.  Are HJC/HFSG really opposed to anyone standing at any point in the match?  Come on, the Main Stand stood for 30 seconds, ffs.  To be honest, I think that the OP is trying to stir shit - the atmosphere was good, leave it at that.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 12:20:31 pm »
Using the 96 as a vehicle for improving the atmosphere is fucking shameful, and anyone getting involved should hang their fucking heads.

Posting about something you know nothing about is fucking shameful, and anyone doing it should hang their fucking heads.  You're just trying to cause trouble where it doesn't exist.  No one used the 96 as a vehicle for improving the atmosphere - what a ridiculous and offensive suggestion.  People stand in order to sing (which we do pretty continuously throughout the match); singing improves the atmosphere.  End of.

Offline Fontaine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 12:44:47 pm »
Some people need to be sorted out on this thread.  Sections 306/305 (304?) were all re-seated a few years back as part of RTK to try to get some atmosphere back into the middle (top) of the Kop.  That's what we do there (I'm in 305, personally), and it involves standing (hard to sing all the time when you're sitting).  Everyone in those sections knows the deal, and if they didn't want to sit there then there'd be a queue out the door looking to swap seats - best spec in the house, if you ask me!  As for the appropriateness of Stand up for the 96 after the call to sit, then you're reading too much into it if you ask me.  Are HJC/HFSG really opposed to anyone standing at any point in the match?  Come on, the Main Stand stood for 30 seconds, ffs.  To be honest, I think that the OP is trying to stir shit - the atmosphere was good, leave it at that.

Definitely the best spec in the house, you might aswell watch the game in the boozer if you're not in those blocks imo. 

This thread should be let slip away, no good can come from it.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 12:45:24 pm »
Hillsbrough didn't happen because people stood up.

However, the authorities are happy for people to believe this myth.

Think you'd do well to explain that "myth" to the families.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 12:45:59 pm »
agree with the original post.   

tannoy "can all supporters please sit down"
some kopites immediately start up "stand up for the 96"

Sorry, but in my book, the song wasnt about the 96 at all. 

Any songs about the 96 should be one of rememberance or about justice.  No other agenda imho. 

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 12:47:55 pm »
  As for the appropriateness of Stand up for the 96 after the call to sit, then you're reading too much into it if you ask me.  Are HJC/HFSG really opposed to anyone standing at any point in the match?  Come on, the Main Stand stood for 30 seconds, ffs.  To be honest, I think that the OP is trying to stir shit - the atmosphere was good, leave it at that.

I think its about persistant standing rather than at any point.

The chant directly after the announcement was in defiance of the announcement. Or else a massive coincidence.  ::)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 12:52:47 pm »
Can see both sides of this - and several other sides that appear to be tangential - and there is a very real concern that this will turn into a slanging match so I'm locking it and sending a message to both HJC and HFSG to ask for their views on this matter.

Emotive subjects often elicit emotive responses, so let's all calm it and see what else can be said later, yeah?

It doesn't help to bandy about statements like "disgrace" or "fucking shameful" or "stirring shit".