Author Topic: What's your bold predictions for the next season?  (Read 150710 times)

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Re: What's your bold predictions for the next season?
« Reply #280 on: July 30, 2019, 10:05:35 am »
It would. But there are certain things that have to happen to win a league championship, and right now, we don't look like we're in a good spot to do those things. Playing catch-up is not an undoable achievement, but it makes winning a league quite difficult.
Pre-season hasn't been ideal, has it? Last season's was much smoother. Hopefully, though, it's been a case of fitting a lot of fitness work into limited time, with less tactical bedding in required than last time - but which means application of tactics is more dependent on having our main players available than it was last season.

I don't expect us to come out of the blocks flying, but I think any one of our front three back will also make Origi look a lot better, and I think we will still retain a tremendous capacity to do 'just enough'. Alisson, also, makes a massive difference to that. Clearly Mignolet is a good pro but I really think he has an awful effect on our team performances.

It definitely would have been nice to look more cohesive against Napoli, though, and that lack of cohesion does feel like a bit of a worry.

Effectively, for a lot of important players, it may be like they're actually having Pre-season at the beginning of the season. If we can manage our way through August and early September then hopefully we can kick on after that with a full squad up to speed and just possibly with players like Origi, Brewster and Oxlade benefitting from the extra responsibility they might well have had to take on in that opening spell.

Looking back, mind, the scheduling of the CL final plus international tournaments has been absolutely fucking nuts this season and it really needs sorting. Also zero chance of us taking domestic cups any more seriously than we did last season, and rightly so.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #281 on: July 30, 2019, 10:08:01 am »
A side that over the last two years have had an even more intense period than us with a hideous World Cup participation wise and have signed even less players (just 1 in fact).

And will only play 5 preseason games compared to our 8, with less travel, and a main striker who had   enforced rest through injury, and with 4 viable goalscorers to rotate with, and a fresh recruit into their midfield.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: July 30, 2019, 10:12:01 am »
Pre-season hasn't been ideal, has it? Last season's was much smoother. Hopefully, though, it's been a case of fitting a lot of fitness work into limited time, with less tactical bedding in required than last time - but which means application of tactics is more dependent on having our main players available than it was last season.

I don't expect us to come out of the blocks flying, but I think any one of our front three back will also make Origi look a lot better, and I think we will still retain a tremendous capacity to do 'just enough'. Alisson, also, makes a massive difference to that. Clearly Mignolet is a good pro but I really think he has an awful effect on our team performances.

It definitely would have been nice to look more cohesive against Napoli, though, and that lack of cohesion does feel like a bit of a worry.

Effectively, for a lot of important players, it may be like they're actually having Pre-season at the beginning of the season. If we can manage our way through August and early September then hopefully we can kick on after that with a full squad up to speed and just possibly with players like Origi, Brewster and Oxlade benefitting from the extra responsibility they might well have had to take on in that opening spell.

Looking back, mind, the scheduling of the CL final plus international tournaments has been absolutely fucking nuts this season and it really needs sorting. Also zero chance of us taking domestic cups any more seriously than we did last season, and rightly so.

Spot on as usual HBHR. If we can get through the first 10 games unscathed, we'll be in fine fettle. But I worry about a Norwich that can do damage with their counterattacks, the defensive blocks of Southampton, and Arsenal could be a high scoring shitshow.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: July 30, 2019, 10:13:23 am »
And will only play 5 preseason games compared to our 8, with less travel, and a main striker who had   enforced rest through injury, and with 4 viable goalscorers to rotate with, and a fresh recruit into their midfield.

Agree with the threat of Spurs. Great manager, great team. Also have that pain/motivation of loss from the CL that we had last year - don't think the significance of that can be over-rated in terms of how much it drove us on last season.

Offline ATEAMOFCARRAGHERS

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2019, 10:25:57 am »
Win Premier League.

Win Champions League.

3rd Rd FA Cup

5th Rd League Cup

Win Super Cup

Win World Club Championship

Runner Up Charity Shield.
15/4/89 never forgotten.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2019, 10:26:25 am »
I don't think we go into the season as title favourites. That would be the same if we'd bought a few new players and/or had a storming preseason also. City have 100 and 98 point seasons back to back and have one of the best players in the league returning from injury. They start the season as clear favourites.

However, in terms of challengers for City, I think only ourselves and Spurs can realistically aim for getting +85 points this season. I just don't see Chelsea (minus Hazard), Arsenal (defensive issues) and United (in a rebuild process) putting up seasons close to 90 points. At this moment they all look like teams who will be looking at 70-85 points rather than +85 points.

I don't expect us to win the league this year. I do expect us to come top 3 at worst though. I'm struggling to think of the rational why, at this moment, anyone would think we'd be fighting for 4th. It's like people suggesting our players might be tired have uncovered some unknown fact. Wouldn't the club know this and have rafts of data on each player and their physical capability to predict whether they can handle another season? The club are making their decision on squad composition and depth on a lot more data and experience than any of us have. It's an informed choice not buy another front 3 player at the moment. It may not be correct but they are doing it with more content and information than any of us will ever have at this point.

We may end up coming 4th or winning the league or getting relegated this season. Who knows until the season plays out. However, at this point in preseason anyone saying we'll be in a fight for 4th is taking the piss in my opinion.

Everything is possible I suppose but in essence we'd be looking at a +20 point drop off from last season for that to happen and/or 2 or 3 of the other teams to improve dramatically.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2019, 10:30:26 am »
Spot on as usual HBHR. If we can get through the first 10 games unscathed, we'll be in fine fettle. But I worry about a Norwich that can do damage with their counterattacks, the defensive blocks of Southampton, and Arsenal could be a high scoring shitshow.
It's a mental start as well, not including cup games we're playing all of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Utd and City within the first 12 fixtures, plus Leicester and Southampton away 3 days after the super cup against Chelsea. We're going to need some serious squad management without having had the luxury of, well, managing the squad as we'd have liked. If we could somehow come out of that ahead of City - most likely by winning the head to head - we could break them, but we could also quite easily find ourselves well off the pace without having had a single bad result.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2019, 10:33:56 am »
19 & 7. Brewster becomes a revelation and is the 4th attacker that makes us absolutely unplayable. We lose the League Cup Final to City in a dip period where the bedwetters believe we are throwing the season away. An easy FA Cup run takes us to the semis but we lose to somebody like Arsenal after having to make significant changes due to important CL/PL matches around this point. The Kop cat makes and unexpected reappearance in a Friday night FA cup 3rd round game against Salford City.  Everton finish 6th and release a DVD - their new stadium is denied planning permission and new plans are released to build the worlds first underwater footabll stadium on the bed of the Mersey. Solksjaer is sacked in February with the Mancs languishing in the bottom half. Nicky Butt is brought in to steady the ship and is rewarded with a 4 year contract after an impressive 1 - 0 win over Spurs.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2019, 10:34:25 am »
We'll win the league and fans will stop moaning [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: July 30, 2019, 10:38:25 am »
World Cup was last year. AFCon and Copa America ended a few weeks back.

Thats four players were talking about and one of them is a keeper. If we are using that logic, then most of our team have had that same deal of rest.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: July 30, 2019, 10:39:21 am »
I don't think we go into the season as title favourites. That would be the same if we'd bought a few new players and/or had a storming preseason also. City have 100 and 98 point seasons back to back and have one of the best players in the league returning from injury. They start the season as clear favourites.

However, in terms of challengers for City, I think only ourselves and Spurs can realistically aim for getting +85 points this season. I just don't see Chelsea (minus Hazard), Arsenal (defensive issues) and United (in a rebuild process) putting up seasons close to 90 points. At this moment they all look like teams who will be looking at 70-85 points rather than +85 points.

I don't expect us to win the league this year. I do expect us to come top 3 at worst though. I'm struggling to think of the rational why, at this moment, anyone would think we'd be fighting for 4th. It's like people suggesting our players might be tired have uncovered some unknown fact. Wouldn't the club know this and have rafts of data on each player and their physical capability to predict whether they can handle another season? The club are making their decision on squad composition and depth on a lot more data and experience than any of us have. It's an informed choice not buy another front 3 player at the moment. It may not be correct but they are doing it with more content and information than any of us will ever have at this point.

We may end up coming 4th or winning the league or getting relegated this season. Who knows until the season plays out. However, at this point in preseason anyone saying we'll be in a fight for 4th is taking the piss in my opinion.

Everything is possible I suppose but in essence we'd be looking at a +20 point drop off from last season for that to happen and/or 2 or 3 of the other teams to improve dramatically.

We've about averaged that drop off the season after we've finished second, since 02-03 though. If I remember correctly, 16, 14, 23 and 21 points respectively.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: July 30, 2019, 10:39:25 am »
We'll win the CL again. With the team this good and Anfield giving us such an advantage it's very unlikely anyone beats us over 2 legs then 1 game to go!

Not really confident on the league despite the team being this good, mainly due to factors out of our control, teams not trying v City to screw us (hello Everton and Manchester United) or resting players, the way our games v City, Leicester etc were officiated last season, it's hard to get over the line when that sort of shit is against you.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: July 30, 2019, 10:41:08 am »

Spurs have been out in Asia and we have been to America. I hardly think travel in Europe is a chore, its probably quicker than some parts of the UK.

We also have some legs coming back in midfield like Oxlade-Chamberlain and even Keita, who didnt exactly rack up the minutes.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: July 30, 2019, 10:42:48 am »
We've about averaged that drop off the season after we've finished second, since 02-03 though. If I remember correctly, 16, 14, 23 and 21 points respectively.

Different managers, different players, different situations. There is zero to suggest that the previous time equals the same again.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #294 on: July 30, 2019, 10:43:20 am »
After the highs of last season, this one will be a "market correction" for us.

On the contrary, I think it's those highs that may see up doing even better.

Our trajectory is up, we won our first trophy under Klopp, and closed a 25 point gap to 1 point in a single season whilst integrating several new first-team players. We shouldn't underestimate what an incredible achievement that was against a relatively settled City side. Our players have now tasted success and many are at (or approaching) their peak years.

The spirit and togetherness is as good as I've ever seen, and we haven't lost any key players after a title-challenging season. There's no doubt the pre-season could've been better in terms of performances, results, and key players being available for selection, but its not necessarily a barometer for the season ahead.

I think the experience of last season will give us the confidence and desire to push City to the limit again. Whilst we may not reach such a high points total, I think this will be the season where other teams finally have a go at them and take some points, allowing us to capitalise and make that final push.

League - Winners
Champions League - Quarters
FA Cup - Quarters
League Cup - Fifth round
Community Shield - Runners up
UEFA Super Cup - Winners
FIFA Club World Cup - Winners

I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: July 30, 2019, 10:47:11 am »
Different managers, different players, different situations. There is zero to suggest that the previous time equals the same again.

We'll see. It's not like me to be pessimistic at all, but I just don't think our preparation has been optimal at all.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #296 on: July 30, 2019, 10:48:14 am »

That's true, but there are so many different factors affecting those drop-off seasons - squad depth, individual player quality, team spirit, owners, managers, key players unhappy or being sold - none of which will affect us anywhere near as much this season.

I think we're arguably in the best position we've ever been in following a 2nd place finish in the PL era.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:54:22 am by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: July 30, 2019, 10:54:18 am »
League - Either winners or runners-up with City finishing either runners-up or winners.
Champions League - Semi-finals
FA Cup - Quarter-finals
League Cup - Fifth round
Community Shield - Winners
UEFA Super Cup - Winners
FIFA Club World Cup - Winners

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: July 30, 2019, 10:55:22 am »
We'll see. It's not like me to be pessimistic at all, but I just don't think our preparation has been optimal at all.

I get that and I am not saying we will win the league. If anything 97 points flattered us a bit and I can easily see City running away with it (albeit I think there might be some issues with them that we havent priced in).

But I cannot see us finishing 3rd and absolutely not 4th. 4th would be an incredible underachievement with the players we have and if anything would make me question their mentality if just one trophy and you down tools.

I would take 3rd and a CL or even both domestic cups and 3rd. 4th? No chance.

Online Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #299 on: July 30, 2019, 11:04:04 am »
I get PoP's pessimism, which makes the charity shield against Man City a bit more than the usual glorified friendly that it is, since Klopp promised 'we'll be a different animal' for the game. It'll be an opportune time to see some of the switch being flipped.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:17:39 am by Magix »

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #300 on: July 30, 2019, 11:13:23 am »
We'll win the league and fans will stop moaning [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I’m fairly sure we could win the league but follow it with an iffy pre season and the fans won’t stop moaning.

I think the main concern for me is how much a slow start could cost us. In the past you could get away with it even up to the new year as long as you finished strongly. The problem is City are setting such a high bar that it will feel as though falling even 6-9 points off the pace early may be enough to cost us in the end.

I don’t believe there’s much we can do about it, aside from hitting the season running as best we can given it’s been a far from ideal pre-season with so many players involved in tournaments and not returning til late.

I don’t think signings would particularly make much difference for the early part of the season either. As we’ve seen players usually take a few months to adapt.

I’d agree with those who are thinking top 3 and I think probably top 2 again but if City are City again then a real title challenge could be tough this year unless we can almost match them for the first month or two.

Overall cautiously optimistic as I do think we’re good enough to win the league, but ready to accept some early season mishaps that could ultimately cost us.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:19:06 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Akako

• Main Stander
« Reply #301 on: July 30, 2019, 11:13:47 am »
I think we will win the CL in Istanbul again
Let’s be honest no one wants the left back's shirt

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: July 30, 2019, 11:29:04 am »

Fair enough. Though I think you are counting 2005/06 as coming 2nd - with 14 points drop off to 2006/07

If you look at those seasons there are differences with some of them. 2008/09 to 2009/2010 the club was in turmoil. We also lost a highly influential player in the 2008/09 season (Alonso) and couldn't replace him adequately. The same sort of thing applies to 2013/14 and 2014/15. Suarez leaving, Gerrard's performances falling off a cliff and Sturridge missing most of the campaign robbed us of a good proportion of what made that team so effective in 2013/14. Comparing those seasons with the upcoming season seems a stretch. Mainly because we are more stable as a club and we haven't lost any major players this summer so far.

I think 2006/07 we dropped 14 points from 2005/06. I think the CL was a big factor. In 2006/07 we were knocked out of the CL in the last 16. Really focused on the league and FA Cup in the 2nd half of the season. In contrast 2006/07 we played weakened teams in the league at the end of that season. Top 4 was boxed and we had CL semi-finals to concentrate on. There would have been a drop in points tally but not as big as 14 if we'd played full strength teams in the last 3 league games (Portsmouth, Fulham and Chalrton) were we got 1 point out of 9 and at the same time really annoyed Colin Wanker (so it wasn't all bad!). I think what was interesting that season was that we had a poor start also - W3 D2 L4 out of the 1st 9 games. Think our main problem that season was away from home. Didn't score enough goals and defence was much leakier away.

2002/03 is probably the season with most parallels to this team. Houllier's team the previous 2 seasons had the treble followed by a 2nd place and CL QF. At the time I don't think anyone would have expected us to drop from 2nd to 5th. Infamously that was the summer when we added to a strong core with approx. 20M of new signings. I would say that's the equivalent of 100-120M nowadays. Those 3 signings of Cheyrou, Diouf and Diao didn't improve the team one bit. I think that coupled with a big drop off in performance from the likes of Heskey, Dudek, Henchoz and even Gerrard that season was a big factor. As was the manager returning from ill health. We'll never know the full circumstances but as an outside person looking in he seemed to have changed. Both in his personality and decision making. How did that affect everything around the club?

It's easy to look back with hindsight and point at the reasons that ultimately meant we've had good league season followed by much poorer ones. However we are quite unique as a club that those seasons have included us having a manager nearly die and return from that, the club nearly go into administration and the sale of the arguably the most talented player we've had.

The current team is stronger than any of those teams mentioned above. Back to Back CL finals and a 97 point league season is pretty good evidence of that. We are also more stable as a club than any of those times when we previously come 2nd. No major player looks to be leaving, the manager seems in good health and the club isn't going into administration or in the middle of an internal war with itself. That doesn't mean we'll get 97 points again. Who knows what will happen. But to expect us to drop back down to a 70-75 point team feels like people are stretching due to a few poor pre-season results and/or the reacting to a lack of signings.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #303 on: July 30, 2019, 11:36:23 am »

Picked this up off reddit courtesy of manateesherrif who compiled data from understat.

"At the end of last season, fans of Liverpool, Spurs, and Arsenal all had reason to feel good about their clubs. Liverpool had their best season ever in the Premiership, finishing with a record 97 points. Tottenham, meanwhile, had another solid season, solidifying a spot in the top four and making a run to the Champions League Final. And Arsenal had an encouraging first season under Unai Emery, fighting for a top four spot until the last day of the season.

And yet, some analysts would tell you that all three clubs were incredibly fortunate last season. Based on the chances they created and allowed, all three should have finished at least 10 points lower in the table. Could that data be right? Are all three clubs poised for regression this season? Let's take a look.

For those of you who don't know, expected goals (xG) is a way of measuring the chances that a team creates. By looking at xG and xG allowed, we can get a better idea of how well a team is actually performing. Sometimes, hot finishing or a streaky goalkeeper can make a team look better or worse than it actually is. Those hot streaks usually run out, but chance creation is much more consistent.

Last season, the data suggests, Liverpool should have finished with 13.55 fewer points than they actually did, Arsenal should have finished with 11 fewer, and Spurs should have finished with 9.56 fewer. But is this sort of data actually predictive? To find out, I looked at all the teams in the last five years who have outperformed their xPoints by 10 or more, and then looked at their performance the next season.

[View formatted table]

Year Club Real points xPoints Following season Change

14/15 Chelsea 87 75 50 -37

14/15 Swansea 56 43 47 -9

14/15 Tottenham 64 49 70 +6

15/16 Leicester 81 69 44 -37

15/16 West Ham 62 50 45 -17

16/17 Chelsea 93 76 70 -23

16/17 Spurs 86 75 77 -9

16/17 Arsenal 75 64 63 -12

17/18 Manchester United 81 62 66 -15

17/18 Burnley 54 41 40 -14

18/19 Liverpool 97 83

18/19 Tottenham 71 61

18/19 Arsenal 70 59

Look out! Teams that significantly outperform xG crash down HARD the following season. The good news for Liverpool is that even if they drop down to their "expected" 83 points, they would still be a very good team. Arsenal and Tottenham have more to worry about; xPoints has Arsenal in seventh, one point behind Wolves.

It's worth noting that there is one team in this list that did manage to avoid implosion the year after making this list. In 2015/16, Spurs were actually 6 points better than their "lucky" season the year before. So what did Tottenham do differently than all these other teams? Well, they had arguably their greatest transfer window ever. That summer, they picked up Dele Alli, Heung-Min Son, and Toby Alderweireld. They also swapped out the CM pairing of Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb for the dominant duo of Mousa Dembele and Eric Dier. Their actual point total only increased by 6, but their xPoint total went up by 20. They were playing much better football.

That should be the lesson for the three "lucky" teams from last season. Don't look at your point total and think the team is good enough. If you don't move aggressively in the transfer window and address your weaknesses, your team is going to slip back to where they probably should have been all along. But if you scout well and act decisively, there is a chance to turn some of your "lucky" points into points that are well-earned."
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: July 30, 2019, 12:18:01 pm »
Snip

Really interesting and sobering reading.

However, would the club not be aware of these trends in performance? Would we not be taking all of this into consideration? I suppose it comes down to trust. Based on what we've seen over the last 3 or 4 years we are meticulous when it comes to all aspects of the club (recruitment, nutrition, sports science, analytics, tactics etc..). It based on that evidence that I assume the club are making decisions based on a rational approach and considering all the available data.

The club and Klopp might get their decisions wrong but I personally don't think this stuff on Reddit would be anything they haven't seen or considered as part of their long term planning and strategy.

Offline Byrkije

• Boys Pen
  • Kloppoholic
« Reply #305 on: July 30, 2019, 12:26:59 pm »
Premier League: relegation

Champions League: group stage

FA Cup: r1

League Cup: r1

Super Cup: runners-up

World Club Championship: miss the flight

Charity Shield: runners-up

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2019, 01:14:24 pm »

Actually surprised with your pessimistic views

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #307 on: July 30, 2019, 01:44:52 pm »

However, would the club not be aware of these trends in performance?
I'm sure they would be, and one thing I would say is that while we may have overperformed xG last season, we'd underperformed it the season before. So we're still on a consistent upward trajectory of xG. The other thing is that we included two world beating superstars who are dominant enough in their respective positions that they can help a team outperform xG in certain areas - namely VvD and Alisson. There is zero chance of us suddenly becoming either weak at set pieces or easy to score against unless one or both are seriously injured.

That doesn't mean I should think preseason worries should just be written off (see posts above) but I also don't think us outperforming xG was necessarily a 'regression to the mean' situation because of the sheer quality we have in those absolutely key defensive positions.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #308 on: July 30, 2019, 01:53:22 pm »

However, would the club not be aware of these trends in performance? Would we not be taking all of this into consideration? I suppose it comes down to trust. Based on what we've seen over the last 3 or 4 years we are meticulous when it comes to all aspects of the club (recruitment, nutrition, sports science, analytics, tactics etc..). It based on that evidence that I assume the club are making decisions based on a rational approach and considering all the available data.

The club and Klopp might get their decisions wrong but I personally don't think this stuff on Reddit would be anything they haven't seen or considered as part of their long term planning and strategy.
I am mainly with PoP, but you are right here as well. Klopp knows he has not had an optimal pre, but will be working with his team of back room experts to minimise the negative effect of that like no team in the premier league ever has. We just seem to be on to all the micro managing possible, as you say plus others we do not know about I bet. All we need now is a little of that 'rub of the green' on the pitch that we enjoyed last year, and we will get a bit of that from VAR.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #309 on: July 30, 2019, 02:19:39 pm »

Interesting stats selectively read to support the conclusion he wants to reach, judging from a quick look at that Understat site. Man City "should have finished by" (which I doubt is a fully accurate description of what the model is supposed to show, though I'm no expert) 8.91 points less than their 100 points in 17/18, for example.  I really doubt they would have crash landed last season if it hadn't been for the signing of Mahrez

City also overachieved by 7.36 points last season. To me it looks more like "beating the model" is one of the prerequisites for being able to achieve a 90+ points season, rather than a sign that you relied on non-sustainable luck to achieve it.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: July 30, 2019, 02:22:51 pm »
So which players need replacing then if we expect to fall hard this season? Where are our weaknesses if we were so lucky last season?

I dont really believe that reddit thing. Many of those sides shown for example were not that good to begin with.

I may be mistaken but I dont see where our weaknesses are and where we need to replace players. We are saying we have the best front three in Europe, best Keeper, best centreback, best full backs. We also have a shit load of effective midfielders.

There is no way a back up left back and attacker propels us another level.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:25:23 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #311 on: July 30, 2019, 02:29:09 pm »
Some interesting reads on this thread, will agree with others that the start is critical and also would not be completely shocked if Spurs ended up finishing ahead of us this season

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: July 30, 2019, 03:12:32 pm »
I think we'll finish 2nd or 3rd but be out of the top 4 till second half of season.

I think we'll do well in champions league again, potentially getting to another final.

We don't have the squad to do what we did last year with extra games this year. We were incredibly lucky with no injuries to our best players last year.

If we got another attacker of top quality and full back I'd think we'd challenge again.

Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: July 30, 2019, 03:16:47 pm »
We'll get a VAR penalty early doors and the whole of the football world will claim a conspiracy and that Liverpool are the only club in the league who get favourable decisions.

Keita to score a hatrick.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #314 on: July 30, 2019, 03:19:14 pm »
That xG drop-off piece is really interesting but in our case I think we had to expect one regardless because the 97-point base was freakishly high last season.

Realistically I think we are more of a 86-90 point side. We don't have the creative players City have in midfield to consistently create as many chances, nor are we quite as drilled in retaining possession and stopping counter-attacks to keep opponents away from our goal.

What we do have now though are truly world-class players at both ends of the pitch (Alisson, VVD, Salah, Mané) and teams like that are always capable of heavily over-performing their xG because they are the most important players in stopping and scoring goals.

I think we have to hope a) City drop-off at least a little and b) keep those four players in particular fit & healthy to win the title, but I certainly wouldn't rule us out of contention again with or without any signings like some here appear to be doing.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: July 30, 2019, 03:21:18 pm »
I think we'll finish 2nd or 3rd but be out of the top 4 till second half of season.

I think we'll do well in champions league again, potentially getting to another final.

We don't have the squad to do what we did last year with extra games this year. We were incredibly lucky with no injuries to our best players last year.

If we got another attacker of top quality and full back I'd think we'd challenge again.

We could be lucky with injuries. Or maybe we have durable players?

Being out of the top four until the second half of the season sounds fucking rubbish. Plus why is everyone convinced we will have more games?

Again, I dont see why people have faith in other sides. Which 3 sides are keeping us out of the top four?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:23:00 pm by a treeless whopper »

Online clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: July 30, 2019, 03:48:13 pm »
We could be lucky with injuries. Or maybe we have durable players?

Being out of the top four until the second half of the season sounds fucking rubbish. Plus why is everyone convinced we will have more games?

Again, I dont see why people have faith in other sides. Which 3 sides are keeping us out of the top four?

I just think we'll have a slow start. A hangover from the European triumph.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #317 on: July 30, 2019, 03:51:33 pm »
We'll win our first 5 league games.  And only concede once.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
« Reply #318 on: July 30, 2019, 04:17:58 pm »
I think we'll win the league this season, felt we deserved it last season and that run of draws around February ended up screwing us. The way we responded to those draws was something special though, we found a new level and it felt ss though we were unbeatable the last couple months of the season. I don't think that development has gone anywhere, we can take that level into this season, and I think that level is beyond City, who have the ability to go on massive winning runs but lack the defensive strength to get them through those little periods where the attacking flow isn't there.

I remember that Leicester match that ultimately won them the league where Kompany scored that worldie vividly, they were extremely lucky there, and in a way I am almost glad they found a way to win that match, as I don't think we would've had the same mentality against Barcelona the following night if they had dropped points.

We rode our luck at times last season, but so did City. In truth we were just as good as them last season, and failing to beat them ended up biting us in the arse. We need to win at least one fixture against them this season.

Anyway, I just feel as though this is the year. Winning that European Cup and finishing the season how we did I think is that last bit of development this team needed to give them that mental edge we have lacked. That same mental edge that Ferguson's United used to win title after title.

Don't think Spurs or anyone else will be able to keep the pace with the 2 horse race again, even if they significantly improve.

As for the CL, who knows I mean its a crazy tournament. We are rightly one of the favourites and we can beat anyone in Europe so it is possible, particularly if we get a favourable draw.

Not arsed about the domestic cups, they just dont really mean fuck all anymore, which is a shame. I'd like to become World Champions though just to get that boss gold badge on our kits if anything else.

Anyway, if I have to make a call:

PL: 1st
CL: Semis
FA Cup: Quarters
League Cup: 4th Round
CWC: Winners
Charity Shield: Runners Up
Super Cup: Winners

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #319 on: July 30, 2019, 04:31:53 pm »
Bold prediction? City to not manage 90 points.

On my opinion of where we're at....(not bold - just my opinion)
Felt we needed a backup to front 3 of good quality and a backup to robbo as season ended and feel the same as this new season starts.
Realise both may not happen and even if one or both do arrive there's little time for them to be bedded into our style of play to the standards klopp expects. Sorry if that sounds boring

Have read and understood the many reasons why we have had a quiet window...hard to get players to sit on bench, brewster may be brilliant, trust Klopp etc. Not crying about it because it is what it is....felt we needed a coutinho replacement and somebody when fekir deal fell through aswell but we managed our way around both situations and had an immense season last year. Let's hope for that again.

Keita more in tune and Ox will be a big help.

I feel we got lucky with injuries in our attacking department last season and we need similar luck this season. I'm hoping Origi really steps up this year when called upon....especially early doors as we may need him. And Brewster.
A backup plan for when Firmino is not available or not playing well im still not sure about but hopefully we have an idea of how to approach games when this is the case. Same for Mane/Salah.

Happy with midfield and defence (apart from left back cover)

Management and recruiters have done great building a team to get to the point of challenging for major honours and this season will be a real test..to stay there competing.

We can do it, we may have a slow start or we may not but we know these lads are mustard and they will put up a good fight all season long.
I think we'll finish in top 2, maybe win a domestic cup and one of the other competitions (i'm one of those who wants us to win it all) but understandably will all depend on how we shape up as the season unfolds

Not paid much attention to pre-season....not heard great things but the real football starts this weekend and we just gotta do what we can. We are where we are and we have what we have so lets go for it
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.