Author Topic: Everton 0 - 0 Liverpool Full time meh  (Read 87820 times)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Re: Everton 0 - 0 Liverpool Full time meh
« Reply #840 on: February 8, 2015, 01:01:49 am »
He looks completely lost, it's like he's been put in so many positions he's lost his bearings and without his energy he can't seem to get into the game.  . Like you say sad to see.

Anyone here who has played past the age of 30 will know what Gerrard's going through. It's a terrible thing; your brain knows exactly what it wants to do, and it's probably still seeing things faster than everyone else. But the legs - the legs just don't follow at the same rate of thought.

It's never technique that goes. You always have that. It really is the legs. Not the energy, either. It's the speed of the message going from your brain to your feet. That's what gets messed up, and that's why players either drop down the levels or retire.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline UNO

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #841 on: February 8, 2015, 01:16:07 am »
Interesting stat if correct. No mega rich city back then either...

Yea! We spent more than City last Summer! We are the one of the mega rich side now!

Offline Weescotty

• Main Stander
« Reply #842 on: February 8, 2015, 01:16:20 am »
He looks completely lost, it's like he's been put in so many positions he's lost his bearings and without his energy he can't seem to get into the game.  . Like you say sad to see.

Normally don't contribute to post match threads, but here goes.....

I was surprised Stevie stayed on the whole 90 mins.
He looked poor and thought he would be subbed at half time.
I can understand "his last derby" etc, but what ever happened to no player is more important than the club?

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: February 8, 2015, 01:17:13 am »

Indeed, I also wonder whether his head is elsewhere now his move to LA galaxy is definite. His set pieces were atrocious today.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #844 on: February 8, 2015, 01:23:21 am »
So after tuesday we should know which competition were gonna go all out for.... or are we gonna give 50% in each competition in win nothing at the end of the season?

Not really. The only game that matters in the PL for now is Spurs. The only game that matters in the EL is Beşiktaş. The only game that matters in the FA Cup is Palace. That's it!

Even defeat against Spurs (not that I think it will happen) won't spell the end of top 4 pursuit. I think come Tuesday evening we would have beaten Spurs, and the most people's thinking will have been altered again.
YWNA

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #845 on: February 8, 2015, 01:23:51 am »
Great defensively. Creation was abysmal

Sterlings composure in the box is at the moment is a little worrying, shouldve won us that

Lucas going off fucked our entire night

And the substitutions were completely beyond me but if we beat Spurs Tuesday night 4 pts from those fixtures is decent
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: February 8, 2015, 01:31:29 am »
I would rest him. We need to contend for the cups.

Playing him in the cups and resting him in the league is going to cost us points. Same with sterling. We need to prioritize a competition otherwise we're going to win fuck all and find ourselves out of Europe next year.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: February 8, 2015, 01:32:09 am »
Great defensively. Creation was abysmal

Sterlings composure in the box is at the moment is a little worrying, shouldve won us that

Lucas going off fucked our entire night

And the substitutions were completely beyond me but if we beat Spurs Tuesday night 4 pts from those fixtures is decent

Why are people saying things like this? Allen for Lucas was like for like, positionally. Coutinho risked a VERY bad injury if it was indeed his ligament that was troubling him (we'll know more soon enough I'm sure) and we needed a goal, so the best striker we have is a no-brainer. The only questionable sub was Lambert for Sterling, and that's not so much for who we brought on as it is for who we brought off.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: February 8, 2015, 01:32:58 am »
So after tuesday we should know which competition were gonna go all out for.... or are we gonna give 50% in each competition in win nothing at the end of the season?

Gotta go 100% for all...

Go too easy in the prem and we leave ourselves banking on an EL title.
Go too easy in the EL and we leave ourselves needing to overhaul at least 3 other clubs for Top 4.
Go too easy in the FA Cup and we sacrifice our best shot at silverware for a Top 4 challenge that is far from guaranteed.

Furthermore, if we stuff up one of the cup comps then we alleviate the problem of fixture congestion, rendering our conservatism moot and only serving to damage morale.

So really it's suck it up and go for glory on all fronts. No WC or Euros this summer so the players can  have a nice Jamaican jaunt in June.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: February 8, 2015, 01:35:25 am »
Normally don't contribute to post match threads, but here goes.....

I was surprised Stevie stayed on the whole 90 mins.
He looked poor and thought he would be subbed at half time.
I can understand "his last derby" etc, but what ever happened to no player is more important than the club?

That's why he's leaving isn't he? Rodgers has basically decided he's going to be a bit-part player going forward. Gerrard has said this himself and that weighed heavily on his decision to leave. This kind of thing won't happen from next season. I said before the game I would play him, because of his experience in derbies. He had a terrible game; I admit that. But the difference makers for us in attack (Sterling, Ibe, Coutinho, Sturridge) were either already on the pitch or substituted.
YWNA

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: February 8, 2015, 01:36:48 am »

Why are people saying things like this? Allen for Lucas was like for like, positionally. Coutinho risked a VERY bad injury if it was indeed his ligament that was troubling him (we'll know more soon enough I'm sure) and we needed a goal, so the best striker we have is a no-brainer. The only questionable sub was Lambert for Sterling, and that's not so much for who we brought on as it is for who we brought off.

I watched in pub mate still a bit tipsy. Missed the coutinho injury so fair play.

Lambert for Sterling utterly bizarre

No issue with Allen/Lucas

Jurgen Klopp

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: February 8, 2015, 01:38:49 am »
I watched in pub mate still a bit tipsy. Missed the coutinho injury so fair play.

Lambert for Sterling utterly bizarre

No issue with Allen/Lucas

It really was bizarre. Moreno would have made more sense if we needed a goal.

Offline rushyman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: February 8, 2015, 01:41:38 am »

Ah well, he did what he thought was best. We could've nicked it at the end and no one would be talking about it . Onwards and upwards

That bloody overhead Gerrard effort btw. Why couldn't that just go in. Jesus why can't life be kind like that haha

Jurgen Klopp

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #853 on: February 8, 2015, 01:43:19 am »

I think just Rickie Lambert getting on the pitch for us is enough to make a lot of people despair - he's been desperately poor.

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #854 on: February 8, 2015, 01:43:34 am »

I would say that that final sub didn't matter anyway though PoP.

Was pretty telling when we were passing it about in the middle of the park, then dropped back and Allen played it to Mignolet.

It was a pretty clear indication we were just not wanting to lose it late.

I don't blame the team or anyone for not wanting to risk it late on in games - heck, I advocate playing for a 0-0 in fixtures we often lose like at Stamford Bridge or the Etihad. With it being Stevie's last one I'm sure a few of the players didn't want to ruin it.

But that aside, it's in conflict with the substitution. Our deadball delivery has been shite for weeks so we weren't getting Lambert involved like that anyway. Meanwhile we barely pushed up to try and grab the win.

I would wager that if Everton had scored at some point in the first or second third of the game, we would have gone on to win.

As it was, it was a very cautious and tired display at times. As others have said in this thread, you could tell very early on that it was going to be a 0-0.
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: February 8, 2015, 01:43:46 am »
When's Balotelli back?

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: February 8, 2015, 01:48:12 am »
Fuck.

Important points well summarised.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: February 8, 2015, 01:49:57 am »
When's Balotelli back?

Seeing that he made a difference of next to nothing against Chelsea, probably not for awhile.
YWNA

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: February 8, 2015, 01:53:15 am »
Seeing that he made a difference of next to nothing against Chelsea, probably not for awhile.

I seem to remember him linking up well with Sturridge though. Maybe there is a position for him on the wing given that he likes to play from deep.

I really want Balotelli to turn out to be key in this final part of the season. We sure as hell need a player to step up now, much like Sterling did last year in the second half of the season.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #859 on: February 8, 2015, 02:01:50 am »

He's a mile ahead of Lambert in every way - there's no footballing explanation for Lambert being our first choice sub striker ahead of him

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: February 8, 2015, 02:08:59 am »
I would say that that final sub didn't matter anyway though PoP.

Was pretty telling when we were passing it about in the middle of the park, then dropped back and Allen played it to Mignolet.

It was a pretty clear indication we were just not wanting to lose it late.

I don't blame the team or anyone for not wanting to risk it late on in games - heck, I advocate playing for a 0-0 in fixtures we often lose like at Stamford Bridge or the Etihad. With it being Stevie's last one I'm sure a few of the players didn't want to ruin it.

But that aside, it's in conflict with the substitution. Our deadball delivery has been shite for weeks so we weren't getting Lambert involved like that anyway. Meanwhile we barely pushed up to try and grab the win.

I would wager that if Everton had scored at some point in the first or second third of the game, we would have gone on to win.

As it was, it was a very cautious and tired display at times. As others have said in this thread, you could tell very early on that it was going to be a 0-0.

All good points well made.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: February 8, 2015, 02:11:12 am »
Where was Lallana?

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: February 8, 2015, 02:15:31 am »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #863 on: February 8, 2015, 02:20:43 am »
I think hes got a groin pull.

Gawd that was pretty dull. Nonetheless we continue to play reasonably well cutting edge blah zzzzz

Well im just looking at this as a doubleheader.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: February 8, 2015, 02:21:39 am »
I think just Rickie Lambert getting on the pitch for us is enough to make a lot of people despair - he's been desperately poor.

He is our joint 3rd top scorer though.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: February 8, 2015, 02:25:05 am »
This result made the result in the home derby even worse. It was decided by an against the run of play worldie, in a game we deserved to win (during a part of the season where we rarely deserved to win), but this was kind of the opposite. Was just crying out for us to produce a couple of moments of quality, but we barely turned up.

Very disappointing, but hopefully just a blip during a very hectic run of games (and we tended to recover from these blips ok last season)

Offline QC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: February 8, 2015, 02:29:21 am »
He is our joint 3rd top scorer though.

Perhaps the darkest statistic i've heard all season.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: February 8, 2015, 02:34:26 am »
Injured again.

Losing Coutinho is managable... if we have Lallana (and he performs close to his best).

Losing Coutinho, Lucas, and Lallana together is very dangerous for us :(

Shame Sakho had a poorer game than he has been... shows how important that confidence on the ball our back 3 have had of late is.

Also yet another tick in the how fucking important is Lucas box

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #868 on: February 8, 2015, 02:34:45 am »
Considerably better than them but I'm not surprised at all at the outcome.

Derbies are never fluent affairs and given their "tactics" (I'll be magnanimous) a point is a result. How many times have we played sides like that and come away without anything?

I'm going to say that I think Stevie was a) overwhelmed by this being his last one and b) I think he's not more than aware that the time is right to step away. His performance was not at all what we've come to expect for quite a while and I think Brendan got caught up in the whole fairytale part and it clouded his judgement somewhat. Smacked of hope that he'd do something keeping him on.

Look at pretty much every side that plays against us now. Teams are putting all the players behind the ball when we counter, in fact, most sides lately have not attacked with much more than 4 players at any time - we've got them paranoid about being hit swiftly on the counter and we just seem to be forcing play too much in the final third as a result we still seem to have periods where we get good quick ball but hesitate in moving forwards with any speed or purpose. We just don't look fluent in places and as a result, attacks are petering out. Also, again, when we play this languid passing from the back, sides are quick to shut us down. Felt Sakho was very isolated in places and also given a lot of hospital balls. Mignolet however, still seems to be improving and Emre Can is an absolute beast. New improved contract needs to be put in front of him at the end of the season, but mark my words, the vultures will be circling on this one.

Could understand Lambert being brought on - gave a bit more directness, although I would say that it should have been done earlier. The Lucas injury caused the game plan to change - think Brendans coming in for some undeserved flak for this, as if he'd stayed on I reckon we'd have seen Lazar on later instead of Allen. Should be taken into account this blowing the game plan out of the water.

Hey-ho anyway. Not a loss and still on course. Lets twat Spurs Tuesday and take the wind out their sails. bastards.

The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: February 8, 2015, 02:37:55 am »
Perhaps the darkest statistic i've heard all season.

You speak the truth, to be fair. Our top scorers have 9 goals in total (all competitions)

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: February 8, 2015, 02:44:22 am »
Spent the game surrounded by Bitters who were shitting themselves every time we had the ball, loads of abuse at their own players throughout.    We were not at our best but it was only in the last ten minutes when Everton were on a par.    Thankfully Mignolet had one thing to do in 90 minutes and came up trumps.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: February 8, 2015, 02:52:11 am »
you can't expect a great game when the other team have no intention of looking to play positively. it was obvious they were looking to play for a draw and try and sneak something in the last few minutes of the game.

no time to really dwell on it. have to turn around, recuperate and go at spurs in a few days. we need to win that one if we are to stay in touch with the top 4.

most concerning of all is lucas' and coutinho's condition. hopefully they are just minor knocks and they'll be ready for the spurs game. we're going to have to be pretty careful with some of our players i think. some of the fringe players are going to have to feature and prove their worth a bit more i think. we can't keep relying on the same 12-13 players to play every game in numerous competitions and not get tired or pick up knocks.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #872 on: February 8, 2015, 03:13:46 am »
Everton got what they wanted then - for all of us to have a go at Gerrard. ::)
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #873 on: February 8, 2015, 03:27:31 am »
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline fitzy23

• Kemlynite
« Reply #874 on: February 8, 2015, 03:29:46 am »
It's rare I would criticise Rodgers tactically, but today I really think he fucked it big time with his subs. At a time when we were comfortable in the game, Lucas got injured and we had to make a sub. The right choice for me would of been to drop Gerrard into that position, bring on Markovic and put him as wing back, and move Jordan Ibe into the front 3 where he belongs. Instead he brought on Joe Allen, which was a really negative move. Especially considering how gash Allen was at Bolton in mid-week. The game was there for us to take, but Rodgers made a cautious sub and it cost us the win I feel. We were controlling the game at that time, and just needed more in attack, but he made a very negative move which cost us 2 points.

Later in the game he left Gerrard on for nothing other than sentimental value. Stevie is my idol, but the legs have gone, and our attack was crying out for more pace in the latter stages of the game.

Coutinho behing subbed was something I understood, because Phil has played a football recently and you see he was tired today. Sterling got a week off in Jamaice but Phil never had a break. He has been playing a silly amount if you look at the stats. And he took that heavy tackle too.

Sterling is still very raw as a footballer, and needs a lot of coaching to improve to become a world class player. His finishing and decision making at times are just awful. Just like the game at Chelsea in the CC, his final decision making is just terrible. Making the wrong passes, shooting at the wrong times, etc. He needs to improve a lot.

Jordan Ibe was excellent, especially due to the fact he had to play wing-back all game. What I like about Ibe is that he has strength on the ball, something Sterling lacks. He seems to be a more intelligent player with the ball too. He's a great prospect.

We were the better team, just like we were in the Anfield game, but were again too poor in the final third of the pitch. We need to beat Spurs on Wednesday now. Our season is not over yet, but failing to beat Spurs is going to make it very difficult to make the top 4.
'Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.'

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: February 8, 2015, 03:38:36 am »
Allen for Lucas was a like for like substitution, and on the whole he did alright. He's not a physically imposing player and got forced off the ball 3-4 times but he was quite tidy, screened the defence well and was generally available for a pass. The only criticism was that he played a little too much like Lucas and didn't look to incorporate some more industry and attacking intent into his game.

The problem was Gerrard. There was no support for Sterling or Coutinho up front, no pressing and he didn't drop deep enough to collect the ball and use his distribution at all. From set pieces, apart from 1 free kick he didn't really get involved. On the whole, it was a very disappointing derby performance from our captain who probably should've been hooked after 60 mins. To be fair, every game I've watched that Gerrard has started - we've looked the same. Devoid of ideas and movement in attack and none of his rangy passing or long range shooting coming in to impact on the game at all. He's very much a shadow of the player he used to be and probably not the way the great man should bow out. I actually hope we don't start him so much from now on.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #876 on: February 8, 2015, 03:57:20 am »
Who cares?
He's a paid employee of the club - you're happy with him puttering around?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline fitzy23

• Kemlynite
« Reply #877 on: February 8, 2015, 03:58:05 am »
Allen for Lucas was a like for like substitution, and on the whole he did alright. He's not a physically imposing player and got forced off the ball 3-4 times but he was quite tidy, screened the defence well and was generally available for a pass. The only criticism was that he played a little too much like Lucas and didn't look to incorporate some more industry and attacking intent into his game.

The problem was Gerrard. There was no support for Sterling or Coutinho up front, no pressing and he didn't drop deep enough to collect the ball and use his distribution at all. From set pieces, apart from 1 free kick he didn't really get involved. On the whole, it was a very disappointing derby performance from our captain who probably should've been hooked after 60 mins. To be fair, every game I've watched that Gerrard has started - we've looked the same. Devoid of ideas and movement in attack and none of his rangy passing or long range shooting coming in to impact on the game at all. He's very much a shadow of the player he used to be and probably not the way the great man should bow out. I actually hope we don't start him so much from now on.

Yeah, Allen actually played fine. Better than Gerrand Henderson even. He did move the ball around well and was our best central midfield player. A lot better peformance than Bolton anyway, though he persists in giving away so many silly fouls away. I just think the injury to Lucas presented an opportunity to really the take the game to Everton, but Rodgers was afraid to do so. It was too safe a move, that likely cost us the win.

Moving Gerrand into Lucas' position, where he's very capable of playmaking from deep, putting Markovic to wing back, and letting Ibe loose in the front 3 I think would of been enough to get us the goal we needed to win the game.

I agree about Gerrard. It was pure sentiment he stayed on the pitch. His legs were gone after 60 minutes. Anyone else would of been subbed. He simply has not got the legs to press defenses anymore, which is integral to our game under Rodgers. But this problem won't be there next year at least.

Just a terrible shame that bycycle kick didn't go in. How perfect a winner that would of been. All in all I think we played quite well, showed why we are 12 points ahead of Everton, but not for the first time this season lack a cutting edge. Starting to think though that winning the Europe League will be our best bet to enter the Champions League next year, sadly.
'Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.'

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #878 on: February 8, 2015, 04:11:01 am »
I am sorry but no, moving Gerrard to Lucas's position would not have been a good idea, tactically.

Allen for Lucas was the correct substitution, otherwise there's no point in having him on the bench if he doesn't come in for an injured CM.

Taking Coutinho off to bring in Sturridge is the one that made very little sense. Still, Everton did not really threaten us, and we weren't actually poor at all going forward, just a bit unlucky: they got some crucial blocks in to prevent some decent efforts that would otherwise have been on target frpm reaching the target.

One point out of the Goodison derby is not a bad result, anyway, us needing 3 points notwithstanding.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #879 on: February 8, 2015, 04:19:13 am »
The 1 point from this is only really going to be a good point if we get six from Spurs and Southampton. Otherwise, it will be 2 points lost.

6 points from the next two would put us on course for a 70-71 point finish if we play to par with the rest of the games. Beating one of City or Chelsea along the way, though, will make things even better.