Author Topic: Reds sign youth goalkeeper Danny Ward  (Read 14591 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Reds sign youth goalkeeper Danny Ward
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2017, 02:31:40 pm »
If the offer to rejoin Huddersfield for another season of first-team football was genuinely there, then it simply has to go down as a terrible, baffling decision by our manager to keep him around.

That's a terrible, baffling statement to make  ;)

Maybe he just wanted a season to have a look at him personally? But even if not, its hardly a 'terrible decision' is it? If he only plays the one game this season, on Tuesday, and spends the rest of it providing cover in case Mignolet/Karius get injured its still not a terrible decision, just a slight missed opportunity but the lads stock will still be high enough to get a decent fee for him next summer. And maybe he didn't want to go out on loan....? Maybe he's seen enough from the other two to suggest if he does enough in training he could get a chance. But terrible, baffling decision? Nah that's way OTT.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2017, 02:32:52 pm »
Hopefully he'll be considered for the FA Cup?

So 1 more game then ? ;)

Online AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2017, 08:59:01 pm »
Said it before in the Karius thread, I like the lad. He has that bit of cockiness and self-assuredness about him that the other 2 don't. He is going to make mistakes, yes, but from whatever I have seen of the lad, he can take it in his stride. I'd really like to see him get a fair go in the League/Europe, maybe not every game, but a couple of games every month just so he can earn himself a spot higher in that pecking order.
Mignolet is our #1, but he is far too cautious and I just think that these years of criticism have made him like that. I just think we need a fresh head between the sticks and Wardy's done enough in the past season at Huddersfield to warrant a fair go.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2017, 09:03:53 pm »
So 1 more game then ? ;)

Plus the replay of course.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2017, 07:16:14 am »
I'm hoping Jurgen is keeping him around to assess whether he's good enough to take the #1 place.  Maybe the plan is for someone to go out on loan mid-season, if that's possible.  I like Ward and would love him to be given a shot as our number 1.
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Klopp Your Hands

• And Stompp yer feet!
  • Kopite
  • If you're a Kopite and you know it Klopp ur hands!
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2017, 08:04:01 am »
I like what I see from him but Klopp might feel reluctant to take the 'gamble' of starting him in the PL.
Klopp is starting to come under a bit of scrutiny so probably doesn't want to invite more until our fortunes turn for the better.
Definitely have him in for the FA Cup, hopefully gets a chance in the CL if we've qualified with a game to spare.
At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2017, 09:10:08 am »
I like what I see from him but Klopp might feel reluctant to take the 'gamble' of starting him in the PL.
Klopp is starting to come under a bit of scrutiny so probably doesn't want to invite more until our fortunes turn for the better.
Definitely have him in for the FA Cup, hopefully gets a chance in the CL if we've qualified with a game to spare.

Pretty sure it is going to be

PL - Mings
Karuis - Europe
Ward - Cups
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Fido

• Main Stander
  • The league title is what really counts.
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2017, 10:34:50 am »
I too have been impressed by Danny Ward and I fully understand why he was brought in.

He seems to control the box well and he actually comes out to catch corners.

There is nothing at all wrong in saving money by bringing in gems in the form of better priced players from the lower divisions that clearly have the potential to good enough for the first team as long as the owners also open the purse strings fully and they also properly compete within the world transfer market for the proven world beaters.

The goalkeeper position has been a bit of a weak spot since Pepe Reina left because his wages cost a bit more.

I have never been impressed by Simon Mignolet; he has drastically improved in the last year but I am not yet comfortable with him in goal as he has previously created lots of uncertainty in the goal and had more than a few Mignolet Moments.

Loris Karius has also had a few Mignolet Moments in the past but on the whole I prefer to see him goal and I now have a dilemma because Danny Ward has been very impressive when I have seen him play and he could be a serious contender for the number one spot.

I am really not sure about Simon Mignolet but the upside is that he does have a sale value and if the other goalkeepers keep doing as well as they have been it may be better to displace him and to move him on to another club by next year and use the sale fee towards the cost of a world class striker.

Either way, I suspect that next year we will have Loris Karius as number one and Danny Ward as his number two.
First is First and Second is Nowhere !

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2017, 10:50:47 am »
Said it before in the Karius thread, I like the lad. He has that bit of cockiness and self-assuredness about him that the other 2 don't. He is going to make mistakes, yes, but from whatever I have seen of the lad, he can take it in his stride. I'd really like to see him get a fair go in the League/Europe, maybe not every game, but a couple of games every month just so he can earn himself a spot higher in that pecking order.
Mignolet is our #1, but he is far too cautious and I just think that these years of criticism have made him like that. I just think we need a fresh head between the sticks and Wardy's done enough in the past season at Huddersfield to warrant a fair go.

Sorry to just leap on one point, but you don't think Karius has any cockiness/arrogance/self-assuredness? Really?

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2017, 01:12:12 pm »
I like Danny, he looked really assured in that Leicester game

There was one ball he came out for and i found myself bracing for a mad scramble in the box as he had come so far to challenge for it and it seemed like there was no way he would get there and he dealt with it superbly.

It was a brave decision to come that far out but he made it look so simple, his confidence was refreshing to see from a liverpool goalkeeper. Would love to watch it again

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2017, 01:40:20 pm »
I like Danny, he looked really assured in that Leicester game

There was one ball he came out for and i found myself bracing for a mad scramble in the box as he had come so far to challenge for it and it seemed like there was no way he would get there and he dealt with it superbly.

It was a brave decision to come that far out but he made it look so simple, his confidence was refreshing to see from a liverpool goalkeeper. Would love to watch it again

It was the right decision to go for that ball.  I wouldn't call it a brave one though.  It was a long floated ball that was up in the air a long time.  Any goalkeeper could have gotten to that one. 

I would agree that he looked ok in the game the other day.  Besides the one save though was he really tested?  The one big gripe that I have with his performance was his kicking.  I thought it was really poor.

Regardless, one game in goal with the first team isn't enough to say one way or another whether he should be first choice.  My personal opinion would be that, for next year, Karius should be first choice, Ward probably 2nd, and Migs sold. 

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2017, 03:35:53 pm »
Never seen Mignolet or Karius come out and gather the ball the way he did on one occasion the other day.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2017, 04:09:40 pm »
Never seen Mignolet or Karius come out and gather the ball the way he did on one occasion the other day.

Agree. He clearly dominates the box and is prepared to smash whoever is in front of him. I saw him play twice last season and he looked good. I just hope he gets more chances this season because of all positions this is the one where someone like stands a real chance of becoming first choice.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2017, 06:26:58 pm »
Looks good from what ive seen of him - would like to see him get a start in the league but i doubt thats gonna happen bar injuries

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2017, 07:13:49 pm »
It was the right decision to go for that ball.  I wouldn't call it a brave one though.  It was a long floated ball that was up in the air a long time.  Any goalkeeper could have gotten to that one. 

I would agree that he looked ok in the game the other day.  Besides the one save though was he really tested?  The one big gripe that I have with his performance was his kicking.  I thought it was really poor.

Regardless, one game in goal with the first team isn't enough to say one way or another whether he should be first choice.  My personal opinion would be that, for next year, Karius should be first choice, Ward probably 2nd, and Migs sold. 

Again i'd need to see it again, i only saw it the one time.

I'm not saying he should be first choice or it was a world class performance, I thought he looked assured and confident throughout the game though. He wasn't really tested much and that's the difficult thing for our keepers at the moment in a way, in Karius games he hasn't really been tested much to judge him properly either.

As for his kicking I cant say i payed too much attention to it to be able to judge

Offline welshred1976

• Legacy Fan
  • make us dream
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2017, 07:29:06 pm »
I'd like him or Karius to be given a proper go.
“The status of the club is incredible, but it’s only until you come in it that you understand everything that goes on with the football club, with the Hillsborough Support Group ... it’s more than a football club, this is a way of life." Mr. Rodgers

Online AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2017, 08:30:19 pm »
Sorry to just leap on one point, but you don't think Karius has any cockiness/arrogance/self-assuredness? Really?

No. Karius hasn't looked like that in the competitive game. He had a bit of that in last season's pre-season, just after he'd signed, but he has looked a lot like he is in 2 minds ever since then. He'll get better I am sure, but he hasn't been able to build on his strong skills which is distribution and being quick off the line. To be clear, I don't deem dribbling with a player close to you in the box as cockiness, I deem it recklessness.

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2017, 05:46:28 pm »

Feel the club made a huge mistake. He had the chance to play regularly with Huddersfield and improve but we kept him as a third choice ..

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2017, 05:48:10 pm »
Feel the club made a huge mistake. He had the chance to play regularly with Huddersfield and improve but we kept him as a third choice ..

He also gets to be watched, trained and assessed by Klopp and his staff most days of the week.