Author Topic: Liverpool U21s to be entered in FL Trophy 2016/17  (Read 8647 times)

Offline Joff123

• Anny Roader
  • They say our days our numbered
    • Twitter
Re: Liverpool U21s to be entered in FL Trophy 2016/17
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2016, 09:52:32 pm »
+ves - we get to see a wider array of U21 games with more coverage (probably).
- our youngsters playing against professionals who have been around the lower leagues for years.
- a different type of style from the classic skill based U21 games, more strength and different tactics used by lower league teams.
          This all meaning Klopp has a better understanding of our youngsters in competitive fixtures without Europe.

-ves - Less chance players go out on loan as this will probably be deemed sufficient for U21s development.
- Awful for football league structure, elites gaining and the chance of a wembley dream for lower league teams/fans is smaller.
- Attendances falling? If you were a Southend fan would you want to see your team away at Sunderland U21 midweek on a tuesday? probably not.

Just do not this is a good idea at all. If prem teams want their youngsters to develop, send them out on loan for 40 odd games in the football league or abroad to see if they develop. Leave the football league trophy to teams in the football league.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2016, 10:17:12 pm »
How anyone not wanting liverpool in this tournament is weird. The positives outweigh the negatives.

Positives: -Chance for young 16,17,18,19, and 20 year olds to go up against real men.
               -Another distraction to get us through the week since we won't be in europe.
               -Chance for fringe first team players to get a run out. Only 6/11 need to be below 21.
               -Wembley. Imagine a final of Liverpool U21 vs Crewe Alexandra! Never in history would that be imaginable.
What negatives are there really?
Seen us win everything

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2016, 11:27:18 pm »
How anyone not wanting liverpool in this tournament is weird. The positives outweigh the negatives.

Positives: -Chance for young 16,17,18,19, and 20 year olds to go up against real men.
               -Chance for fringe first team players to get a run out. Only 6/11 need to be below 21.
               -Wembley. Imagine a final of Liverpool U21 vs Crewe Alexandra! Never in history would that be imaginable.

The corruption of the oldest and strongest league structure in world football for the theoretical benefit of the elite few?
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2016, 11:40:40 pm »
Fuck any club that enters an u21 in the JPT, including us.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2016, 11:43:08 pm »

Can't see Crewe winning the Southern section. ;)

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2016, 11:44:21 pm »
It's a good idea to get the chance of development for the academy players.

Shit way of going about it though.

What's wrong with restarting the Pontins ?
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2016, 12:09:22 am »
The corruption of the oldest and strongest league structure in world football for the theoretical benefit of the elite few?

I'm first in line when it comes to despising modern football and all its aspects, but I don't see a big problem here.

All League One and League Two teams will still be in the competition - it's not as if we take anyone's place.
The Football League teams already have the League Cup and the FA Cup. They mostly play a second string side for the JPT anyway.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2016, 12:27:58 am »
If only six players need to be u21, and games are played at anfield, it's not really Liverpool u21s is it?

You can also understand where we are coming from. It's not worth the operating costs to use the stadium for such matches. Even more so because of the ongoing development.

If you're going to invite Liverpool u21s to enter, then enter them as what they are. A team with at least seven outfield u21 players that play at Langtree Park.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2016, 01:37:24 am »
Its not like our reserves are going to be playing in league 2, they are simply playing as guests in the JPT. Which club in reality views the JPT as a priority? I would be amazed if i get some shouts. Id understand if reserves got into the league cup or even as far as the fa cup, but the JPT is just not an interesting enough tournament for people to be furious about it changing.
Seen us win everything

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2016, 02:09:48 am »
Fair enough mate, but I fear it could be the thin end of the wedge. If the owners of League One and Two clubs get enough of the crumbs swept from the Premier League's table their way, they'll let PL B teams into the lower leagues, regardless of what supporters think.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2016, 02:21:13 am »
Fair enough mate, but I fear it could be the thin end of the wedge. If the owners of League One and Two clubs get enough of the crumbs swept from the Premier League's table their way, they'll let PL B teams into the lower leagues, regardless of what supporters think.
Wouldn't knock that off the table, as they do have reserve teams play in lower divisions in spain but that would be foolish from the football league.
Seen us win everything

Offline apocalypse

• Kopite
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 02:28:09 am »
Is this linked to the 5 league idea trying to get more people watching league 1 and 2 teams ?

I know I'll be watching the matches with our U21 team involved. This seems a great way to increase viewership of the lower leagues (for overseas football watchers at least). 

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2016, 02:41:37 am »
One question surrounding this tournament. Will our home matches be at Anfield?
If they are at Anfield, how many people do you think will show up?
Seen us win everything

Offline redjed1

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2016, 03:14:28 am »
Whose idea was it? Probably the FA deciding to mess up something that was working perfectly well, with all the lower league teams happy to get to play at Wembley if they reached the final.

The old Central League worked well, but folded for some reason (?) Reserve teams were a great way to give games to up-coming youngsters, players getting back from injury and also those not getting into the first team.

With a big squad and no Europe this year, there will be a lot of squad members not playing much football. Quite a few will be over 21, so why can't someone sort out some sort of league that leaves under 21's playing their games, free from some burly 6-footer from the lower league clogging them, until they're ready for it.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2016, 11:24:19 am »
Fuck any club that enters an u21 in the JPT, including us.

Why? The League One and League Two clubs will get some money for it, and a chance to take a good look at the Academy players who end up in their leagues anyway. The Premier League clubs will get the chance to play their youngsters against senior opposition. Traditional issues aside, it is a good deal for everyone involved.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2016, 11:58:35 am »
I just don't understand why we can't have a fully fledged U21 league that plays once every week. The amount of money the PL is awash with, I don't see this as such a hard thing to implement. It won't make any money, but the English FA should take notice of this. The future of the national team depends on developmental structures like this.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2016, 12:19:55 pm »
I just don't understand why we can't have a fully fledged U21 league that plays once every week. The amount of money the PL is awash with, I don't see this as such a hard thing to implement. It won't make any money, but the English FA should take notice of this. The future of the national team depends on developmental structures like this.

Well, there are basically 2 models around Europe: B-teams included in the league system at the lower tiers, and U-21 leagues that run simultaneously with the senior leagues, with the U-21 games being played on the same day as the senior games, only a few hours earlier and on a different venue.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2016, 12:28:08 pm »
An easier panacea would be to put a solid limit on squad size dependent upon European competition entry. Stop clubs stockpiling players so they can find a level in the Football League and develop themselves and the clubs down there.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2016, 01:42:51 pm »
I think it's a bad idea personally.  The lower League clubs would live a day our at Wembley and whilst a good opportunity for our kids it doesn't quite feel right to me.

Agree with this. We really won't care about this competition, so we shouldn't be there to destroy the fun for others.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2016, 01:50:35 pm »
An easier panacea would be to put a solid limit on squad size dependent upon European competition entry. Stop clubs stockpiling players so they can find a level in the Football League and develop themselves and the clubs down there.

This is a better solution. It would be so much more beneficial if all these extra players were allowed to play regularly in the league system, but it needs to be forced. With the financial strength these days, big clubs will stockpile players (we have) and nobody gets to see them play. When you open up for more games for the top club's players, like this proposal, it will only serve the current system.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2016, 06:59:37 pm »
Not in the competition unless they add in Cup dates later. As we had to confirm we were in the Cup 10 days ago, you'd expect those dates listed.:

Liverpool’s U21 side will switch to U23 for the 2016-17 season after the new fixtures were announced today.

The league will consist of two divisions with Michael Beale’s young Reds playing in the Premier League 2 Division 1.

The opening game will see the U23s face Southampton on Sunday August 14 at 1pm BST. All home venues for the new season have still to be confirmed.

Other fixtures of note will see the young Reds take on Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on Friday August 25 and take on Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Monday September 19.

U23 fixtures for 2016-17

August

Sunday 14 – Southampton (H) 1pm BST, venue TBC.

Monday 22 – Chelsea (A) 7.05pm, at Aldershot Town FC.

Friday 26 – Arsenal (A) 7pm, at Emirates Stadium.

September

Sunday 11 – Leicester City (H) 2pm, venue TBC.

Monday 19 – Tottenham Hotspur (A) 7pm, White Hart Lane.

Sunday 25 – Sunderland (H) 1pm, venue TBC.

October

Monday 17 – Manchester United (A) 7pm, Leigh Sports Village.

Sunday 23 – Everton (H) 1pm, venue TBC.

Saturday 29 – Manchester City (A) 1pm, venue TBC.

November

Sunday 20 – Reading (H) 1pm, venue TBC.

Monday 28 – Derby County (A) 7pm, venue TBC.

December

Sunday 11 – Arsenal (H) 1pm, venue TBC.

January 2017

Monday 9 – Leicester City (A) 7pm, Holmes Park, Leicestershire FA.

Sunday 15 – Manchester United (H) 1pm, venue TBC.

Sunday 29 – Sunderland (A) 12 noon, Eppleton Colliery Welfare Ground.

February

Sunday 5 – Tottenham Hotspur (H) 1pm, venue TBC.

Sunday 19 – Derby County (H) 1pm, venue TBC.

March

Monday 6 – Reading (A) 7pm, venue TBC.

Sunday 12 – Chelsea (H) 1.05pm, venue TBC.

April

Monday 10 – Southampton (A) 7pm, Staplewood Training Ground.

Sunday 23 – Manchester City (H) 1pm, venue TBC.

May

Monday 8 – Everton (A) 7pm, Southport FC.

Supporters should note that these fixtures are subject to change.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/228335-new-look-u23-fixtures-for-2016-17-released
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Risto

• Anny Roader
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »
I think most of the big premier league sides that were invited to this competition said thanks, but no thanks, including us as well, so some of the smaller PL sides including Everton are joined by some sides from the championship to replace the big guns who pulled out. As such, don't think this format will take off and will be just a one off for this season in most likelihood.

Offline PoetryInMotion96

• Anny Roader
  • His First Name Is Lucas
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2016, 01:02:05 pm »
Looking forward to watching the boys at Stadium Mk next month, some of youngsters have some real potential and hopefully with correct guidance and work ethic we, in the future, can look forward to breeding these to a very strong, versatile, winning first team. Very exciting future ahead... hopefully  ;D

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2016, 01:28:59 pm »
Not in the competition unless they add in Cup dates later. As we had to confirm we were in the Cup 10 days ago, you'd expect those dates listed.:

Liverpool’s U21 side will switch to U23 for the 2016-17 season after the new fixtures were announced today.

The league will consist of two divisions with Michael Beale’s young Reds playing in the Premier League 2 Division 1.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/228335-new-look-u23-fixtures-for-2016-17-released

I assume the lack of games in November and December are because of cup games?  Even with the changes to the setup it still doesn't seem to be enough games.