Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire  (Read 42233 times)

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #400 on: March 2, 2013, 10:43:27 am »
4 and 5 are set over the same period of time and feature different characters. Obviously with the power of hindsight, that will not be a problem for the TV show dudes.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: March 2, 2013, 02:41:13 pm »
Hi, I'm currently about half way through book 4 so please don't reply with any spoilers as I've no idea what will happen but was just wondering what you guys thought of it?

After the amazing sequence of events in book 3, book 4 has become somewhat tedious and almost boring to read, I'm really having to really push myself through it.

I can't imagine this book would translate very well into a tv show as well as the previous 3 so how do you think it will be done?
As you would have noticed Book 4 has only half the characters. Book 5 takes place at the same time and has the other half. It's a much more exciting book and the TV show obviously isn't going to just ignore half the cast so it'll take place during the same time frame. The first half of book 4 and the first half of book 5 will probably made into one season.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: March 3, 2013, 02:07:00 am »
As you would have noticed Book 4 has only half the characters. Book 5 takes place at the same time and has the other half. It's a much more exciting book and the TV show obviously isn't going to just ignore half the cast so it'll take place during the same time frame. The first half of book 4 and the first half of book 5 will probably made into one season.

In general it probably would work like this, but as book 5 is so bloody big i can see the producers and screenwriters making 3 seasons from these 2 books. Plus it would give Georgy boy and year or two to continue finishing off the series.

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #403 on: March 4, 2013, 05:48:07 pm »

Finished the books and I'm dpressed now - GRRM needs to pull his finger out.

Just as an aside thee's a great three part documentary on the Hundred Years War on iplayer at the moment - Chivalry and Betrayal - if yuo like ASOFAI you'll like the doc :)
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #404 on: March 4, 2013, 05:57:34 pm »
Been having a mooch on the Wiki all afternoon instead of working, I really want to read the books again now.

Anyway, I realised that while this upcoming season of the tv show will have the obvious amazing moments, the fourth season will arguably have more like...

ASOS SPOILERS

Spoiler
The Other Wedding, could arguably be the most crowd pleasing moment ever. The Red Viper's trial. Littlefinger, Sansa, Lysa and the Moon Door. The Lady Stoneheart reveal. The Battle of the Wall. Tywin on the shitter.
[close]

Only another year to go!
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #405 on: March 5, 2013, 07:51:51 am »
Been having a mooch on the Wiki all afternoon instead of working, I really want to read the books again now.

Anyway, I realised that while this upcoming season of the tv show will have the obvious amazing moments, the fourth season will arguably have more like...

ASOS SPOILERS

Spoiler
The Other Wedding, could arguably be the most crowd pleasing moment ever. The Red Viper's trial. Littlefinger, Sansa, Lysa and the Moon Door. The Lady Stoneheart reveal. The Battle of the Wall. Tywin on the shitter.
[close]

Only another year to go!

You think Lysa's scene would make it into season 4? They'd have to move it along considerably in that part of the story for it to happen IMO. Plus it'd leave the associated characters with very little to do for season 5/6.

In general it probably would work like this, but as book 5 is so bloody big i can see the producers and screenwriters making 3 seasons from these 2 books. Plus it would give Georgy boy and year or two to continue finishing off the series.

To be honest the producers have gotten the easy part of the plot out of the way, as far as maintaining audience interest goes. The first 3 books are action packed and for the most part, pretty tight. They'll have to show some real ingenuity to abbreviate the 4th and 5th books into something digestible. I'd be amazed if they invested 3 seasons into those two books. And honestly I doubt it'd be necessary. The parts of Cersei, Jaime, Brienne, Dany and arguably even Tyrion could do with some neat editing.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2013, 07:58:22 am by Redcap »

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A Song of Ice and Fire
« Reply #406 on: March 5, 2013, 10:22:48 am »
You think Lysa's scene would make it into season 4? They'd have to move it along considerably in that part of the story for it to happen IMO. Plus it'd leave the associated characters with very little to do for season 5/6..

Assuming they are following the books for it, that scene happens at the end of the second half of book 3 if I remember it correctly (and there is a large chance that I don't), so it should appear in season 4?

She doesn't have much to do in book AFFC but what she does do is quite interesting and something that could easily be expanded upon in the show to fill it out.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: March 5, 2013, 10:26:53 am »
Ah my mistake. For some reason I thought that happened in AFfC.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #408 on: March 27, 2013, 02:01:30 pm »
Cannot wait for the next installment. Getting all the books again when I finally get around to buying a kindle.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #409 on: July 27, 2013, 02:05:57 pm »
Just started A Dance With Dragons.

Have to say, from AFFC, I don't give a toss about what's happening in Dorne. The only interesting character is Arianne, and to a point; Myrcella.

The POV's in AFFC were just not needed. Spend three books with a set of characters, then discard them and go with a whole load of new characters, just kind of annoyed me. I enjoyed
Spoiler
Brienne's chapters, and the characters with her, Jaimie's because he meets Blackfish again, and Cersei's to a point, but the rest were a bit dull
[close]
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Sindri

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #410 on: August 1, 2013, 03:59:01 am »
Just finished the 5th book. Powered through them all in about 2months and now I have no idea what to do until the next one comes in 1?3?5? years.

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: August 1, 2013, 10:47:28 am »
Just finished the 5th book. Powered through them all in about 2months and now I have no idea what to do until the next one comes in 1?3?5? years.

Read them again? :D

Seriously though I've just started re reading them and the amount of details and stuff you miss the first time is staggering.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: August 1, 2013, 03:29:54 pm »

Read Dunk and Egg, then there are also the Theon and Arianne chapters on GRRM's website from TWOW

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: August 2, 2013, 02:13:34 pm »
Read them again? :D

Seriously though I've just started re reading them and the amount of details and stuff you miss the first time is staggering.

I'm considering doing this. I've just finished the whole lot too.
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #414 on: August 2, 2013, 02:19:00 pm »
they've cast someone who looks the spit of
Spoiler
Styr
[close]
so we'll be getting one of my favourite moments from ASOIAF
Spoiler
the wildling attack on the wall and Ygritte dying
[close]

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Sindri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: August 3, 2013, 09:09:49 pm »
Read Dunk and Egg, then there are also the Theon and Arianne chapters on GRRM's website from TWOW
Do you know where I can find them online for cheap(ish)? Checked amazon and The Hedge Knight was going for 120-200$

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #416 on: August 6, 2013, 05:15:58 pm »
FINISHED

ADWD was really slow, and I don't give a toss about Dany. Quite like Barristan, Missandei, Grey Worm and Belwas. so basically all the people she surounds herself with, just not her. She's selfish, a poor queen, and far too hopeful of the world. Not only that
Spoiler
she apparently cant' have kids, so when she kicks it, and if she got the throne, civil war would loom
[close]

Stannis or
Spoiler
Aegon
[close]
would make much better kings

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: August 6, 2013, 05:20:04 pm »
FINISHED

ADWD was really slow, and I don't give a toss about Dany. Quite like Barristan, Missandei, Grey Worm and Belwas. so basically all the people she surounds herself with, just not her. She's selfish, a poor queen, and far too hopeful of the world. Not only that
Spoiler
she apparently cant' have kids, so when she kicks it, and if she got the throne, civil war would loom
[close]

Stannis or
Spoiler
Aegon
[close]
would make much better kings

Yeah by the end of the series I was inherently bored with Dany and her chapters were a complete chore. She went from this strong willed and bloody minded woman, to a weak whiney little annoyance. Was very disapointed in how her story arc went.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #418 on: August 6, 2013, 08:59:31 pm »
Yeah by the end of the series I was inherently bored with Dany and her chapters were a complete chore. She went from this strong willed and bloody minded woman, to a weak whiney little annoyance. Was very disapointed in how her story arc went.

i really hope she fails and dies to be honest. which would be hilarious considering now she
Spoiler
will also become Khaleesi again
[close]
her forces are ridiculously large, yet she can't rule for shit. she'd rather lust after a self centred prick (daario)

so, what do we think will happen next book then?

I think (SPECULATION)
Spoiler
Davos will find Bran and Osha, whilst Stannis fucks over Roose Bolton's forces, whilst Manderly joins Stannis, leaving Ramsay to lead the Boltons, which will be hilarious. From here, Rickon will be brought back to Winterfell. Stannis will rally his troops, and the rest of the north will flock Rickon, and ultimately Stannis.

Bran will continue his training, and Jojeen will (unfortunately) turn out to have been included in the Jojeen paste Bran eats.

Barristan will twat the forces outside Meereen, Dany will come back and fuck everything up again.

Aegon'll easily take Storm's End (as said in one of the preview chapters), and Dorne will rally to him.

Cersei and Margarey will both be proven innocent of their trials, but since Qyburn has potentially resurrected Gregor Clegane and he's robert strong, he'll be proven void, and cersei'll be fucked over again.

Arya will be sent by the faceless men to go kill Qyburn because he's a necromancer.

Sansa will marry that fella, uniting the Vale and the North

Waldur Fray will die, and civil war'll commence in Freylands

Blackfish turns up with the Brotherhood, who plot Frey's downfall
[close]

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: August 7, 2013, 09:36:57 am »
Spoiler

Think the Khal will threaten Dany and her Dragon will fry the fuck out of him and his horse and probably decimate half the population there. She'll then tell them to join her or perish and they'll do so out of fear. She'll lead the Khal back to Yunkai and help beat off the invaders and send them raiding all the cities in the slaver bay to end the war there once and for all. She'll finally get started on her way across the Narrow sea after having destroyed every major town in that area of the world and nothing to rule. She'll of course agree to take the slaves with her and somehow Tyrion will make himself known to her when she'll initially have him held as a prisoner before he talks his way into her counsel.

[close]

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #420 on: August 8, 2013, 01:42:11 pm »
Aye, Khal's only respect power, and if you have a dragon infront of you I'd reckon they'd all follow her, if they're not stupid.

fucking hate dany though, such a bad leader, and she's becoming batshit insane

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: August 8, 2013, 04:01:51 pm »
Spoiler from ASOS

Spoiler
Anyone think the TV show will change the demise of Shea from how it was done in the books? I recon in the TV show Tywin win just do to her what he did to Tyrions first wife. The TV Shea seems alot more sympathetic than the book version and by having Tywin kill her off instead of her betraying Tyrion would make the audience sympethise more with Tyrion when he murders his auld da.

Anyway Season 4 is going to be amazing. So many big moments in the second half of ASOS.
[close]

Football is a lie

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #422 on: August 8, 2013, 10:03:11 pm »
Spoiler from ASOS

Spoiler
Anyone think the TV show will change the demise of Shea from how it was done in the books? I recon in the TV show Tywin win just do to her what he did to Tyrions first wife. The TV Shea seems alot more sympathetic than the book version and by having Tywin kill her off instead of her betraying Tyrion would make the audience sympethise more with Tyrion when he murders his auld da.

Anyway Season 4 is going to be amazing. So many big moments in the second half of ASOS.
[close]

Spoiler
Possibly, although wouldn't him shagging Shae like in the book also achieve that effect? Either way, I agree with you that the audience has probably warmed to Charles Dance's Tywin more than they were supposed to because he is a king badass who likes to slap that little c*nt Joffrey down now and then.
[close]
DAMMIT!

Offline Sindri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: August 9, 2013, 12:48:25 am »
Spoiler
Possibly, although wouldn't him shagging Shae like in the book also achieve that effect? Either way, I agree with you that the audience has probably warmed to Charles Dance's Tywin more than they were supposed to because he is a king badass who likes to slap that little c*nt Joffrey down now and then.
[close]
Book 3 spoiler,season 3 got spoiler,random season 4 guesses.
Spoiler
Seeing how hypocritical Tywin is about whores and what a treacheries bitch Shea is should have been enough to "redeem" Tyrion for there murders imo. But I think there going to do something different on the show because why else would they have Varys offer Shea all the gold/diamonds to leave Tyrion and have her reject it? Book Shea would have taken that offer in a heartbeat based on her later actions. I dont see how the are gonna get her to betray Tyrion and testify for Cersei and sleep with Tywin if all that money wasnt enough for her. Unless they change it so that she testifys for Cersei/sleep with Tywin as revenge for something the mean to make Tyrion do(start shagging Sansa?Dumb Shea?)
[close]

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: August 9, 2013, 04:53:06 am »
Aye, Khal's only respect power, and if you have a dragon infront of you I'd reckon they'd all follow her, if they're not stupid.

fucking hate dany though, such a bad leader, and she's becoming batshit insane

Actually mate, I'll go one step further and say that Dany will be a warg (Is that the right term, been a bit since I read the books).

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: August 9, 2013, 07:23:56 am »
Finally finished the last book so I can actually go in this thread. 

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: August 9, 2013, 10:58:52 am »
Book 3 spoiler,season 3 got spoiler,random season 4 guesses.
Spoiler
Seeing how hypocritical Tywin is about whores and what a treacheries bitch Shea is should have been enough to "redeem" Tyrion for there murders imo. But I think there going to do something different on the show because why else would they have Varys offer Shea all the gold/diamonds to leave Tyrion and have her reject it? Book Shea would have taken that offer in a heartbeat based on her later actions. I dont see how the are gonna get her to betray Tyrion and testify for Cersei and sleep with Tywin if all that money wasnt enough for her. Unless they change it so that she testifys for Cersei/sleep with Tywin as revenge for something the mean to make Tyrion do(start shagging Sansa?Dumb Shea?)
[close]

Spoiler
I dont think Shea will betray Tyrion in the TV show. I dont think she'll have any part ot play in the trial. Tywin will find out about her and make good on his promise that he'll hang the next whore he finds in Tyrions bed. I am probably completely wrong though.

Anyway really excited to see the Mountain vs Red Viper fight onscreen. It could be amazing and i hope they bring the Mountain actor from season 1 back, he was badass.
[close]
Football is a lie

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: August 9, 2013, 02:23:37 pm »
Spoiler
I dont think Shea will betray Tyrion in the TV show. I dont think she'll have any part ot play in the trial. Tywin will find out about her and make good on his promise that he'll hang the next whore he finds in Tyrions bed. I am probably completely wrong though.

Anyway really excited to see the Mountain vs Red Viper fight onscreen. It could be amazing and i hope they bring the Mountain actor from season 1 back, he was badass.
[close]

That would be very poor in my opinion as it would ruin a very important part of Tyrion's story. I get why you think this may happen though, as she is a much bigger part in the show than the books.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: August 9, 2013, 02:27:17 pm »
Her name's Shae.
« Last Edit: August 9, 2013, 07:12:30 pm by Malaysian Kopite »

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: August 9, 2013, 02:28:59 pm »

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #430 on: August 9, 2013, 06:37:09 pm »
Shey.

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: August 9, 2013, 07:11:59 pm »
Shane
Football is a lie

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 9, 2013, 07:12:17 pm »

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #433 on: August 9, 2013, 07:47:02 pm »
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 9, 2013, 07:51:53 pm »

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #435 on: August 10, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »
Can't believe they've missed out Strong Belwas, just for the bit
Spoiler
when he kills the bloke outside Meereen, then shits on him
[close]
oh and don't forget
Spoiler
not even poison can kill him, hes that badass
[close]

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: August 12, 2013, 10:23:50 am »
Yeah, one of the only two non-Westerosi characters of any worth, post-Drogo in Dany's arc. It's a pity, but he's not exactly crucial to the plot.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: August 12, 2013, 10:41:25 am »
Can't believe they've missed out Strong Belwas, just for the bit
Spoiler
when he kills the bloke outside Meereen, then shits on him
[close]
oh and don't forget
Spoiler
not even poison can kill him, hes that badass
[close]

Those are his most important contributions unfortunately and that really tells you how overwritten Dany's chapters are.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #438 on: August 12, 2013, 01:48:35 pm »
Those are his most important contributions unfortunately and that really tells you how overwritten Dany's chapters are.

Dany in general pisses me off. She's such a bad leader, and has such a superiority complex. She's more and more 'Targaryean insane' as every book goes on. She just sits there all day making bad decisions and thinking about Daario's dick.

Spoiler
Dance With Dragons was originally a Targ battle, so kind of makes it seem like Dany and Aegon will battle it out, in which case, I hope Aegon wins. He'll be such a better leader than Dany, and he's not a complete cuntwagon. Plus Duckfield is great.
[close]

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline JTK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: August 12, 2013, 04:29:20 pm »
Aegon wont win, he will be a fake - a Blackfyre planted by Varys & Illyrio.

Really think GRRM will write all of the Dany chapters from book 1, for her to then get defeated by a new character brought in at the 5th book with limited chapter time?

I really hope Dany doesn't "win" the iron throne too though. Don't like her, or her chapters.

Plus I think Strong Belwas can still appear, he can come in as a gladiator of Meeren and represent a bunch of other minor characters.

I don't think anyone can guess what will happen as there as so many possibilities and people vying for that throne.

So many plots going on, it's great. From Dorne to the Wall and beyond, the story is fantastic.