Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 219962 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #1800 on: July 15, 2023, 08:53:41 pm »
So true,it was the whole discourse that it was a one man team, and he played up to that a bit (Steven m e ) (back at you auto correct) ), that always wound me up during his best seasons, and I don’t mind admitting it’s part of the fact, despite admiring and appreciating him as a player, he was never one of my favourites (and certainly not personality wise, like ever) . Of course he was great, and one of the best this club ever saw, but I always hated that the teams he was on that did win stuff, where always in his shadow, despute having some excellent players, who contributed massively.  That whole media line was trotted out, and was hugely insulting to coaches like Rafa and Ged and other players on those teams.

Gerrard played in some excellent teams, you'd think he was like Le Tissier at Southampton the way people go on.

He always had at least some top drawer players alongside him (Suarez, Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Hamann, Hyypia, Reina, Coutinho).

Gerrard is one of the best players to play for the club but in the 15 years or so he played for us, he wasn't even our player of the year that regularly.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1801 on: July 15, 2023, 09:00:01 pm »
So true,it was the whole discourse that it was a one man team, and he played up to that a bit (Stevie m e ) (back at you auto correct) ), that always wound me up during his best seasons, and I don’t mind admitting it’s part of the fact, despite admiring and appreciating him as a player, he was never one of my favourites (and certainly not personality wise, like ever) . Of course he was great, and one of the best this club ever saw, but I always hated that the teams he was on that did win stuff, where always in his shadow, despute having some excellent players, who contributed massively.  That whole media line was trotted out, and was hugely insulting to coaches like Rafa and Ged and other players on those teams.
In what way did he play up to that? Genuine question. About the only time I ever remember feeling that he was indulging himself slightly, was the way he celebrated the equaliser in Cardiff, but then again I reckon we can give him that one after he'd just volleyed one in from 35 yards in the 90th minute of an FA Cup final ;D 

I think he absolutely knew that he was a massive figure at the club and as a player was a lot better than a lot of his teammates. From accounts I've heard he used that as a positive to try and drive standards up for the good of the club, for example making training sessions intense to expose any players not carrying themselves properly, rapping passes in at pace to test their control and so on.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1802 on: July 15, 2023, 09:02:59 pm »
Good point, someone like mascherano is being held up as someone who gets liverpool, in comparison to Gerrard.

The same mascherano who refused to play for us (whilst under contract) in order to force us to sell him in a cut price deal.

The hoops lads like carra and Gerrard have to jump thru, compared to foreign lads

Let's not re-write history, Let's get it right... eh?

A real pity some Reds have it in for Masch; some of it from G&H supporters, some of from fans who had it in for Rafa, bizarrely some Alonso fans, and some pro-Hodgson/Anglophiles...
Mascherano had wanted to leave for the 2008/09 season - but Rafa didn't want to lose both Alonso and Masch in the same season. Out of loyalty and respect, Masch agreed to stay one more year. Yet when the club looked to renege on that agreement (with Liverpool now under Hodgson) just before the transfer window was shutting - then started hiking the price - and leaking to the press about Masch's family... Masch refused to play in the Boro match... in order to force through what had already been previously agreed.

I'd take Masch's word for it over Purslow, Hodgson, and Paul 'Khmer Rouge' Tyrell - who did the leaking. Most people would, no?

www.theguardian.com/football/2010/sep/01/javier-mascherano-liverpool-exit
www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/aston-villa-vs-liverpool-why-christian-purslow-paul-tyrrell-villains-anfield-a9180396.html

I brought up Masch as he was one of the players who spoke out vs the owners - unlike Gerrard and Carragher... who we all know stayed quiet. Nothing else.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 09:19:04 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1803 on: July 15, 2023, 09:03:52 pm »
In what way did he play up to that? Genuine question. About the only time I ever remember feeling that he was indulging himself slightly, was the way he celebrated the equaliser in Cardiff, but then again I reckon we can give him that one after he'd just volleyed one in from 35 yards in the 90th minute of an FA Cup final ;D 

I think he absolutely knew that he was a massive figure at the club and as a player was a lot better than a lot of his teammates. From accounts I've heard he used that as a positive to try and drive standards up for the good of the club, for example making training sessions intense to expose any players not carrying themselves properly, rapping passes in at pace to test their control and so on.

The captain writing players off as shite after one training session, after they mis-controlled a ball leathered at them, isn't always a good thing though. Especially given how limited his best mate Carragher was on the ball but was always a guaranteed pick.

One thing Henderson did do as captain was make players feel more welcome. All players, not just his mates like Joe Cole, or just the English lads. Obviously Gerrard had far more ability than Henderson but Henderson really helped to forge the best team spirit we've had in many decades.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 09:07:41 pm by Fromola »

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1804 on: July 15, 2023, 09:07:35 pm »
Don't bother googling it - you'll be wasting your time (google in the way it constructs searches over the past 10 years) and also the club and other vested interests have done some scrubbing of articles from that time too. Read up on it on here or other forums from the time. You won't find much about Sami because what he said and did was at the early SOS meetings. And in press articles you're not likely to find on google. Same pretty much for Masch, Agger, and Reina.

Gerrard and Carragher are well aware of their failure to speak up vs the owners - as well as both aware that the excuses they came up with after is... lacking to the say the least.

Nobody is asking them to be clued up on everything - though you do them and fans a disservice inferring that they don't know right from wrong - or what they are rightly going to get stick for, and aren't.

We don't ask too much from our footballers - some may do, not all of us.

For instance some are not going to call anyone who thinks Momo had a great game in Cardiff in 2006 a "try hard" - as part of some sort of 'defence' of Gerrard.

Some are not going to state someone "single-handedly won us X trophy" - because X didn't; the last time I looked this was still a team/squad game - and not X+ 10 others. How derogatory is that.

Or claim "in that Hicks and Gillett era where people seemed to expect him to single handedly take them down" - which is utter revisionist bollocks and also a lousy swipe at fans who were protesting for the club at that time.

Or use Rafa as a scapegoat or excuse... because other may not have the same glowing opinion of a player as you do in... "I've said it before but IMO it all goes back to the alleged split with Rafa and those who could never hear a bad word about him taking his side over Gerrard's."

You don't have to put others down or attempt to divide others to praise or 'defend' the people you like.

My opinion is that so far, Gerrard has gotten off lightly in going to Saudi to be a posterboy for this Saudi sportswashing project, and also in this Henderson transfer fiasco so far.

Does this detract from my view on him as a person? Yes, it does.

Does it detract from my appreciation of everything he did on the pitch when he was playing for us? No - though it is soiled somewhat... To what degree... I don't know; early days and all that.

I'll leave it there.

I was active on here back in those dark days, I've got my "standards corrupted" shirt somewhere that I wore with pride in my first year at uni. I remember feeling frustrated with the players but I can understand looking back that it was a difficult position to be in. Ultimately the fans pulled through, as they so often do. I don't know why you think I'm taking a swipe at the fans who protested in any way. I would genuinely be interested in what role Reina, Hyypia, Mascherano, Agger etc took in those early SOS meetings though. Mascherano could hardly talk English, could he? ;D

I wont go on mate, I'm not trying to split anyone. I just can't abide some of the absolute shite thrown at him and it's sent me down a rabbit hole. Hendo a bigger legend. Jim Royle had the perfect catchphrase for that shout.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1805 on: July 15, 2023, 09:44:18 pm »
The captain writing players off as shite after one training session, after they mis-controlled a ball leathered at them, isn't always a good thing though.

One thing Henderson did do as captain was make players feel more welcome. All players, not just his mates like Joe Cole, or just the English lads. Obviously Gerrard had far more ability than Henderson but Henderson really helped to forge the best team spirit we've had in many decades.

Gerrard admitted he never having a conversation with Biscan in all his time here - called him a "tit" - and personally blamed him for our exit in the Uefa Cup QFs.

Not great captaining that, especially given Biscan's role in helping us to win No.5 in Istanbul. Hopefully Gerrard has apologised to him since - though he really should do it publicly, as he slated him in public, to sell a few copies of his book.

I would genuinely be interested in what role Reina, Hyypia, Mascherano, Agger etc took in those early SOS meetings though. Mascherano could hardly talk English, could he? ;D

I should have made myself more clear - apologies. Sami was at the early meetings. Masch, Agger, and Reina spoke out in the press - though you'd be hard pressed to find those articles in full now (and is easier/quicker to find out what was going on at the time on here, or on the other fan forums - than on google).

Maschs' English was decent, broken, but decent. I'm sure he could tell Steve Bennett, Webb, the FA, scum press, Ferguson, Purslow, Tyrell and Hodgson to 'fuck off' quite well. ;)

« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 09:52:17 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1806 on: July 15, 2023, 10:14:57 pm »
Absolute cesspool of a thread, ridiculous to see people downplaying Gerrard's achievements and immense talent just because he's gone to Saudi.
In an emotional game, the people will tend to get a little...emotional. I read a while back that he holds the record ( outfield players ) for most PFA team of the year appearances. For anyone to suggest or even slightly imply that he wasnt an absolute all time great, without question, is silly.

Ive seen it with some United fans in recent years with Keane. I guess after a while, some willingly forget.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 10:20:39 pm by b_joseph »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1807 on: July 15, 2023, 10:17:41 pm »
A lot of Gerrard apologists in this thread. Great player, but to say locals hold him and other local players to higher standards and give them more stick? Not my impression. Sometimes I’ve had the impression it’d Gerrard FC and not Liverpool FC.

Gerrard to me is just «another» Liverpool player. I don’t have any more love for him than I had for John Barnes, Kevin Keegan, Luis Suarez, Bobby Firmino. Locals do.
Apologists ;D is that really the word you're opting for, to represent people who disagree with your suggestion Henderson is a bigger legend of a player than Gerrard

You're making some extremely bizarre points now. Can you explain, when you say "Sometimes I’ve had the impression it’d Gerrard FC and not Liverpool FC", are you basing this on conversations you're having in Norway? Or Liverpool? England?

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #1808 on: July 15, 2023, 10:34:33 pm »
Not true, I think Gerrard has got off lightly here.

Very much so.

You'd have to question Gerrard too... in believing that the current Liverpool captain, with 2 years remaining on his contract, would be available 'on a free'.

Albeit on wages around the reported £700,000 p/w. Gerrard wanting Henderson as his marquee signing for his new club... just as pre-season training for Liverpool had commenced - our plans likely already in place for the coming season going on recent departures and arrivals... would surely not be welcomed by Liverpool. A fee would obviously have to be paid.

Despite this, it appears he has been let off quite lightly in all this Henderson transfer business so far - despite him being the one that wants Henderson, the timing of it, and apparent lacks of funds to secure the player... leaves Gerrard looking amateur and naïve. Impacting upon Liverpool's plans for the coming season likely won't go down well with some fans, though I'm sure others will still idolise him, or attempt to continue to justify or excuse his role in this.

Though that's sportswashing for you. £700,000p/w on one very high profile player - instead of trying to secure and build a team of quality players on £70,000p/w - or a more balanced squad averaging out at less. Seems a bit short term / 'one expensive egg in your basket' approach, that; one marquee signing... Though needless to say the whole sportswashing project doesn't seem logically set up to be long-term sustainable at all. Sign BIG NAMEZ instead!!!

Still finding it disappointing Gerrard decided to take the Saudi sportswashing, human-rights abusing, child executioners' blood stained money... to go be a poster boy for that brutal oppressive regime.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1809 on: July 15, 2023, 11:04:21 pm »
There’s already a video of him taking training going viral for the wrong reasons

This is accurate.
https://twitter.com/Semprista/status/1679196526772355077?s=20

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1810 on: July 16, 2023, 09:20:17 am »
Fucking tragic, that one of our biggest legends basically turned himself into an internet meme for a few bucks.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1811 on: July 16, 2023, 10:08:30 am »
A lot of Gerrard apologists in this thread. Great player, but to say locals hold him and other local players to higher standards and give them more stick? Not my impression. Sometimes I’ve had the impression it’d Gerrard FC and not Liverpool FC.

Gerrard to me is just «another» Liverpool player. I don’t have any more love for him than I had for John Barnes, Kevin Keegan, Luis Suarez, Bobby Firmino. Locals do.
Go home lad, your mam's made cakes
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #1812 on: July 16, 2023, 01:40:41 pm »

If I remember correctly, this is when the Stevie M e stuff began :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bMuomVcGKLw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bMuomVcGKLw</a>

And we didn't even win that game. ;D

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1813 on: July 16, 2023, 01:59:39 pm »
Gerrard was indeed a generational talent. But then, so was Fowler, Owen, and now Trent.

We're not short of local heroes. Why the heck else would we have an academy?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #1814 on: July 16, 2023, 02:31:13 pm »
Gerrard was indeed a generational talent. But then, so was Fowler, Owen, and now Trent.

We're not short of local heroes. Why the heck else would we have an academy?

Because we are required to?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1815 on: July 17, 2023, 07:44:25 am »
Because we are required to?

I just meant that the academy is intended to produce talent. Not every player will be good enough, but we are always looking for the next Trent, Gerrard etc.

An unrelated point it's notable how Gerrard, Owen and Fowler's LFC careers all overlapped to a degree. When Fowler broke through, he was playing alongside Ian Rush, then alongside Owen and Gerrard; SG and Henderson shared a pitch for a number of years. It's interesting to see how the footballing generations are linked in that regard.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline God's Left Peg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1816 on: July 18, 2023, 10:00:32 pm »
"A real family feeling" for his wife and 3 daughters I'm sure.

A football project "for the right reasons"...

I mean, if you're going to sell out at least just go for it fully, don't try and pretend anything else ffs.

Who the fuck does he think he's kidding?
"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That's how I see football, that's how I see life."

Offline norecat

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1817 on: July 18, 2023, 11:26:51 pm »
If he had gotten Rangers to the European final instead of bolting down the motorway to Birmingham he would have done more for his career than a year at Villa. He does have managerial ability and showed it at Ibrox. Villa didn't work out. I don't see his move to Saudi Arabia doing anything to help him climb back up the managerial ladder.

Going to let's say Leicester and getting them back in the EPL would have been more beneficial to him career wise. He will earn insane money in Saudi and at the moment it's the latest new frontier.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1818 on: July 19, 2023, 11:03:54 am »
If he had gotten Rangers to the European final instead of bolting down the motorway to Birmingham he would have done more for his career than a year at Villa. He does have managerial ability and showed it at Ibrox. Villa didn't work out. I don't see his move to Saudi Arabia doing anything to help him climb back up the managerial ladder.

Going to let's say Leicester and getting them back in the EPL would have been more beneficial to him career wise. He will earn insane money in Saudi and at the moment it's the latest new frontier.

Leaving that Rangers job was nuts in hindsight. Thought at the time he just picked the wrong time to leave. He definitely could have taken them to the EL final that season and they likely wouldn't have gone off the boil in the Scottish Prem had he not left. Moving on at the end of that season would have been fair enough. Also picked the complete wrong side to move to, because there's a limit to what you can do with someone like Villa in the Prem, certainly with limited experience. Emery has done really well there but I won't expect their good form to carry on throughout the whole of next season.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1819 on: July 19, 2023, 08:52:05 pm »

He started okay at Villa but he was lost without Beale (when he left for QPR at the end of that season). He did a lot of the tactical stuff and coaching at Rangers and Villa up to that point and is now managing Rangers himself.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1820 on: July 19, 2023, 09:18:34 pm »
He’s a meme these days. Gave up his managerial career then convinced Henderson to tarnish his reputation and retire from competitive football. Just a twat.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #1821 on: July 19, 2023, 09:21:14 pm »
He’s a meme these days. Gave up his managerial career then convinced Henderson to tarnish his reputation and retire from competitive football. Just a twat.

He has escaped a lot of the criticism for this move, but absolutely no surprise he was so important in pushing this deal through.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1822 on: July 20, 2023, 10:43:45 pm »
His foreseeable future is in Saudi so lets use that thread until the situation changes in due course.