539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1450594 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Brexit Magic Flying Rainbow coloured Unicorn jolly tip-top-ho! Gosh! Thread.
« Reply #24800 on: August 23, 2019, 10:12:25 am »
The best Tweet I saw about the British media overreacting to Merkel and the 30 days was.

Johnson "I'm going to teach my horse to speak"

Merkel "You can't, but I will give you 30 days to prove you can teach it how to speak"

British media "Merkel says it's possible to teach a horse to speak in 30 days"
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Brexit Magic Flying Rainbow coloured Unicorn jolly tip-top-ho! Gosh! Thread.
« Reply #24801 on: August 23, 2019, 10:27:29 am »
The best Tweet I saw about the British media overreacting to Merkel and the 30 days was.

Johnson "I'm going to teach my horse to speak"

Merkel "You can't, but I will give you 30 days to prove you can teach it how to speak"

British media "Merkel says it's possible to teach a horse to speak in 30 days"

That's very good.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #24802 on: August 23, 2019, 10:34:47 am »
It hasn’t spoken in the past three years but by golly if we only believe in ourselves then that horse can speak.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #24803 on: August 23, 2019, 10:48:39 am »
It's certainly provided opportunities for mirth and piss taking, I suppose the only element of solace on this complete shitshow.

I quite liked this exchange..
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #24804 on: August 23, 2019, 11:18:44 am »
I doubt it makes a blind bit of difference if Macron was speaking in French, English or Swahili. Boris would still reply phwaff waffwaff. Biff , Biff spatter spatter ol boy.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #24805 on: August 23, 2019, 11:19:33 am »
I believe that he’s fluent in six languages..

But his bollocks is universal
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24806 on: August 23, 2019, 01:09:56 pm »
In total the Treasury has now made available £6.3 billion to prepare for EU exit, including £4.2 billion funding this financial year alone

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-announces-billions-to-turbo-charge-no-deal-preparations

Money that could potentially have gone straight to those "left-behind towns" that generally voted for Brexit, but is instead being pissed away on a project that will make them poorer.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24807 on: August 23, 2019, 01:26:34 pm »
"Secretary of State for NI @JulianSmithUK says he’s confident @BorisJohnson can get a #Brexit deal but doesn’t want to provide a running commentary on what alternative arrangements could be put in place for the border."

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #24808 on: August 23, 2019, 01:45:52 pm »
"Secretary of State for NI @JulianSmithUK says he’s confident @BorisJohnson can get a #Brexit deal but doesn’t want to provide a running commentary on what alternative arrangements could be put in place for the border."

Fucking hell, it's still 2016 isn't it. He'll be saying we don't want to 'show our hand' next.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24809 on: August 23, 2019, 01:48:44 pm »
According to BBC News, Jwhen Johnson was in Germany, he referred to a report by the pro-Brexit thinktank "Prosperity UK" which suggested ideas for "alternative arrangements" The head of Brexit policy at the British-Irish Chamber of Commerce was asked about it on the BBC yesterday, and the points she made are detailed in the below link. In short, they're not impressed.

https://www.britishirishchamber.com/brexit-views-5-july-2019/

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #24810 on: August 23, 2019, 07:10:16 pm »
I believe that he’s fluent in six languages..

But his bollocks is universal
I can speak more languages than that. But I'd also make a shit Prime Minister
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24811 on: August 23, 2019, 07:11:37 pm »
Totally agree
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #24812 on: August 23, 2019, 07:22:50 pm »
I'd also make a shit Prime Minister

You mean like some sort of faecal golem in Office?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #24813 on: August 23, 2019, 07:40:58 pm »
Totally agree
;D

You mean like some sort of faecal golem in Office?
Why not, we've got a golem made out of wotsits and wig-hair in the White House  ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 07:42:43 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #24814 on: August 23, 2019, 07:44:49 pm »
That is shocking. she is accusing Blair and Major of scaremongering over the NI border.
Is she this stupid or has she got a ulterior motive, I put it down to stupidity. she has never wondered how the EU have been able to have frictionless trading, she must of thought anyone can have it as long as they agree to have it. she is clueless.
Ive not found anything from Corbyn pre referendum on the Irish Border, strange considering he's always banging on about peace.maybe he was the same as Arlene, he took frictionless trading for granted as well without giving much thought to how it can be achieved.

She wants nothing but the Union, her and her ilk are more Britsh that the brits and do not care what happens once the Union is saved.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24815 on: August 23, 2019, 08:23:16 pm »
The interview is from before the Referendum (June 9 2016). Still complete bollocks, though, and her comments have not aged very well.

More recent comments;

Leaking of Operation Yellowhammer attempt to undermine EU negotiations: Foster

The leaking of Operation Yellowhammer documents is an attempt to undermine upcoming EU negotiations, DUP leader Arlene Foster has said. The documents, published by the Sunday Times, warn that the UK will be hit with a three-month "meltdown" at ports, a hard Irish border and shortages of food and medicine if it leaves the EU without a deal.

Mrs Foster said the leaking of the report, which is called Operation Yellowhammer, was not in the national interest as the Prime Minister prepares the UK to leave the European Union on October 31 with or without a deal.

"It is important that we use the remaining time to work on getting a deal, with the best possible outcome for the UK. There is still time for a deal but requires an attitude change in Dublin and Brussels," the DUP leader said.

"Continued fearmongering and intransigence is an easy route for some to take, rather than work together for the best possible outcome. It’s not rhetoric but cool heads and solutions that are needed.

"The backstop and any creation of an Irish Sea border would undermine the Union and indeed it will be catastrophic for our economy.

"As a party we will continue to support the government to work towards a deal that respects the referendum result and maintains the constitutional and economic integrity of the UK.”

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/leaking-of-operation-yellowhammer-attempt-to-undermine-eu-negotiations-foster-38414154.html

She's not exactly singing from the same hymn sheet as majority of NI's MLA's;

Majority of Northern Ireland's MLAs sign letter to Donald Tusk supporting Brexit backstop

A majority of MLAs have signed a letter to European Council President Donald Tusk saying that they support the backstop. A total of 49 MLAs from Sinn Fein, the SDLP, Alliance Party and the Green Party signed the letter calling on the "European Institutions to defend all that we have achieved".

The controversial backstop plan aims to prevent a hard border on the island of Ireland after Brexit, but Brexiteers and the DUP have claimed it could keep the UK aligned with the EU indefinitely and create a trade border in the Irish Sea.

After meeting Mr Johnson on Wednesday evening German Chancellor Angela Merkel set a 30-day deadline for coming up with an alternative solution to replace the backstop.

In the letter pro-Remain MLAs said they had "grave concerns" about the impact of a no-deal Brexit on Northern Ireland.

They also expressed fears that Brexit could negatively impact community relations in Northern Ireland "particularly at a moment when those relationships are being tested".

The MLAs said the backstop was needed to protect the Good Friday Agreement, prevent a return to physical infrastructure at the border, and preserve the all-island economy.

The full letter reads as follows:

Dear Mr Tusk,

The proposed date of the UK’s withdrawal from the European Union, 31 October, is fast approaching.

As leaders of local political parties who represent the cross-community majority who voted to remain in the EU we have grave concerns about the current trajectory toward a no-deal Brexit and the impact this would have on our economy, our border and community cohesion.

An analysis carried out by the Northern Ireland Civil Service has predicted job losses in the region of 40,000 if we’re forced from the EU without a deal. The British government’s own analysis has predicted significant disruption to integrated supply chains across this island rendering cross-border trade in our agri-food sector virtually impossible for many operators. It has also warned that the open border that has underpinned our political settlement would be unsustainable within months.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/majority-of-northern-irelands-mlas-sign-letter-to-donald-tusk-supporting-brexit-backstop-38426562.html

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24816 on: August 23, 2019, 10:50:44 pm »
According to BBC News, Jwhen Johnson was in Germany, he referred to a report by the pro-Brexit thinktank "Prosperity UK" which suggested ideas for "alternative arrangements" The head of Brexit policy at the British-Irish Chamber of Commerce was asked about it on the BBC yesterday, and the points she made are detailed in the below link. In short, they're not impressed.

https://www.britishirishchamber.com/brexit-views-5-july-2019/

Fuck me that’s some juvenile shite.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24817 on: August 23, 2019, 10:51:20 pm »
Ignorance. Simple as that. And in it's most literal sense - ignorance isn't just not knowing - it's having the information available but ignoring it through dogma, lack of imagination , lacking the mental skills to process the information or a donkey-like stubbornness.
I can accept that point if your judging her on her pre referendum opinion, it's hard to imagine she is still incapable of understanding the serious repercussions on the border if NI leave the SM+CU.
Maybe your right and she's just following the Tory bull....either way NI and the Republic will suffer for her stupidity or her dishonesty. by dishonesty I mean she knows there's no solution but her politics comes first.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24818 on: August 23, 2019, 10:51:58 pm »
She wants nothing but the Union, her and her ilk are more Britsh that the brits and do not care what happens once the Union is saved.

She wants the Union but none of the liberal and progressive ideas that are now fundamental to being British. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #24819 on: August 24, 2019, 08:07:18 am »
Wow. I struggle with more than bonjour. Would you say ryoy are fluent in more than 6( hard to describe fluent, but say could you comfortably read the blueshite thread if it were in one of those languages).  I'm always amazed at how good people can be with other languages. Foreigners who can use some of the weird and wonderful English phrases are incredible.
You might be a shit pm. But worse than this or the last one?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24820 on: August 24, 2019, 09:39:14 am »
I hope the EU dont grant an extension to give Johnson more time for alternative arrangements. This shit has to be decided now, be it a deal or no deal.

Also the longer it goes the more time these spineless MP’s have to kick their supposed rebellion can down the road.

There has to be a point where things cannot be fudged anymore.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #24821 on: August 24, 2019, 10:52:30 pm »

The Sunday Times
‏Verified account @thesundaytimes

Ministers have drawn up detailed plans to deploy police officers from English forces to Northern Ireland in the event of a no-deal

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24822 on: August 24, 2019, 11:44:00 pm »
The Sunday Times

Ministers have drawn up detailed plans to deploy police officers from English forces to Northern Ireland in the event of a no-deal
Seems like a propaganda move this...

And they move further ahead in the polls.
W

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24823 on: August 24, 2019, 11:58:41 pm »
The Sunday Times

Any volunteers ?
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24824 on: August 25, 2019, 12:03:45 am »
Any volunteers ?
My thoughts too. Can you imagine the reaction from English Bobbies, with their English accents. ???
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24825 on: August 25, 2019, 12:13:56 am »
My thoughts too. Can you imagine the reaction from English Bobbies, with their English accents. ???
Ive read it's going to be Scottish police so no idea why the news is saying English police.
Either way the Tories are ignoring realty, sending in the police rather than the army won't stop trouble.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24826 on: August 25, 2019, 07:12:25 am »
Ive read it's going to be Scottish police so no idea why the news is saying English police.
Either way the Tories are ignoring realty, sending in the police rather than the army won't stop trouble.

That’s all right then. There’s no history of animosity between Scottish Protestants and Irish Catholics is there?...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #24827 on: August 25, 2019, 07:57:54 am »
Scottish police is a devolved matter.  The SNP are not going to be getting involved in this.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24828 on: August 25, 2019, 08:28:56 am »
It would be hard to think of anything as inflammatory to the stability of the union than an English Tory government sending Scottish policemen to be killed in Northern Ireland for a cause the Scottish rejected.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24829 on: August 25, 2019, 10:13:24 am »
As Iska said, Westminster has no jurisdiction over Police Scotland.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24830 on: August 25, 2019, 10:19:14 am »
Fucking Taggart.
W

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24831 on: August 25, 2019, 10:56:02 am »
Well, Boris hasn't announced his plans to roll back devolution, yet.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #24832 on: August 25, 2019, 06:35:34 pm »
Johnson is saying a deal is even closer now, We all know he's talking bollocks, this is about trying to stop the Tories from joining a VONC by saying a deal is close and running the clock down so there will be no time to stop a no-deal Brexit in the end.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24833 on: August 25, 2019, 10:48:33 pm »
Johnson is saying a deal is even closer now, We all know he's talking bollocks, this is about trying to stop the Tories from joining a VONC by saying a deal is close and running the clock down so there will be no time to stop a no-deal Brexit in the end.
I think it's more about conning the public into believing a deal is possible and then blaming the EU for being stubborn when a no deal becomes realty. this is stage 1 of passing the buck,
If we leave with no deal then he will go into stage 2, laying all the blame for the chaos on the EU for reneging on the agreed solutions to overcome the chaos in WA.

Britain can 'easily cope' with no-deal Brexit, claims Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

PM said EU leaders would be blamed for their ‘obduracy’ and that UK could keep much of £39bn settlement

Britain could “easily cope” with a no-deal Brexit, which would be the fault of EU leaders’ “obduracy”, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson claimed at the summit of G7 countries in France, as he continued to resist mounting pressure to spell out his own plans for breaking the deadlock.

“I think we can get through this, this is a great, great country, the UK, we can easily cope with a no-deal scenario,” Johnson insisted in Biarritz, as he made his debut on the international stage as prime minister with a series of bilateral meetings with world leaders including Donald Trump, the EU council president Donald Tusk and Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.
Johnson said preparations for no deal were being ramped up to help secure an agreement, but also “so that if and when we are forced by the obduracy by our European friends to come out on 31 October without a deal that things are as smooth as they can possibly be”.

Johnson claimed food shortages – one of the risks outlined in the leaked Operation Yellowhammer documents on no-deal planning – were “highly unlikely”, and offered a “guarantee” that patients would be able to access medicines unhindered.

The prime minister said that in the event of no deal the UK would withhold much of the £39bn financial settlement agreed by Theresa May – and insisted it was up to the EU27 to avert that eventuality.
If we come out without an agreement it is certainly true that the £39bn is no longer, strictly speaking, owed,” he said “There will be very substantial sums available to our country to spend on our priorities. It’s not a threat. It’s a simple fact of reality.”
During the Conservative leadership campaign, Johnson suggested the entire £39bn would be retained in the hope of using it as leverage to win a better future trading relationship from the EU27. But Downing Street appears to have conceded that legal obligations for past liabilities may mean up to a quarter of it may still have to be paid.
Johnson is battling to keep alive the prospect of striking a reworked exit deal with the EU27 in time for Britain to leave by the Halloween deadline, which he has made it a “mission” of his government to meet.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/25/britain-can-easily-cope-with-no-deal-brexit-claims-boris-johnson
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:50:34 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24834 on: August 25, 2019, 11:09:12 pm »
I think it's more about conning the public into believing a deal is possible and then blaming the EU for being stubborn when a no deal becomes realty. this is stage 1 of passing the buck,
If we leave with no deal then he will go into stage 2, laying all the blame for the chaos on the EU for reneging on the agreed solutions to overcome the chaos in WA.

Britain can 'easily cope' with no-deal Brexit, claims Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

PM said EU leaders would be blamed for their ‘obduracy’ and that UK could keep much of £39bn settlement

Britain could “easily cope” with a no-deal Brexit, which would be the fault of EU leaders’ “obduracy”, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson claimed at the summit of G7 countries in France, as he continued to resist mounting pressure to spell out his own plans for breaking the deadlock.

“I think we can get through this, this is a great, great country, the UK, we can easily cope with a no-deal scenario,” Johnson insisted in Biarritz, as he made his debut on the international stage as prime minister with a series of bilateral meetings with world leaders including Donald Trump, the EU council president Donald Tusk and Indian prime minister Narendra Modi.
Johnson said preparations for no deal were being ramped up to help secure an agreement, but also “so that if and when we are forced by the obduracy by our European friends to come out on 31 October without a deal that things are as smooth as they can possibly be”.

Johnson claimed food shortages – one of the risks outlined in the leaked Operation Yellowhammer documents on no-deal planning – were “highly unlikely”, and offered a “guarantee” that patients would be able to access medicines unhindered.

The prime minister said that in the event of no deal the UK would withhold much of the £39bn financial settlement agreed by Theresa May – and insisted it was up to the EU27 to avert that eventuality.
If we come out without an agreement it is certainly true that the £39bn is no longer, strictly speaking, owed,” he said “There will be very substantial sums available to our country to spend on our priorities. It’s not a threat. It’s a simple fact of reality.”
During the Conservative leadership campaign, Johnson suggested the entire £39bn would be retained in the hope of using it as leverage to win a better future trading relationship from the EU27. But Downing Street appears to have conceded that legal obligations for past liabilities may mean up to a quarter of it may still have to be paid.
Johnson is battling to keep alive the prospect of striking a reworked exit deal with the EU27 in time for Britain to leave by the Halloween deadline, which he has made it a “mission” of his government to meet.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/25/britain-can-easily-cope-with-no-deal-brexit-claims-boris-johnson

What "mounting pressure"?

His mates in the media are still treating him with kid gloves.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24835 on: August 25, 2019, 11:29:27 pm »
What "mounting pressure"?

His mates in the media are still treating him with kid gloves.
Looks like he's been having a chat with Trump over bad press as well. deny them a interview or a question. I hope C4 go to town on him now. end every bad story on Johnson with. we asked Johnson for a response but he refused to give one.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24836 on: August 25, 2019, 11:36:32 pm »
Looks like he's been having a chat with Trump over bad press as well. deny them a interview or a question. I hope C4 go to town on him now. end every bad story on Johnson with. we asked Johnson for a response but he refused to give one.

I heard something last week which said the Dominic Cummings approach is to fob off many other outlets including things like the Today programme. Instead they want to focus on getting their message out and having him appear on the 6pm news on the Beeb and local radio stations. They dont think much of the public absorb news outside that.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24837 on: August 25, 2019, 11:46:05 pm »
I heard something last week which said the Dominic Cummings approach is to fob off many other outlets including things like the Today programme. Instead they want to focus on getting their message out and having him appear on the 6pm news on the Beeb and local radio stations. They dont think much of the public absorb news outside that.
Probably more about being able to say what he wants without being challenged.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #24838 on: August 26, 2019, 07:59:48 am »
I hope the EU dont grant an extension to give Johnson more time for alternative arrangements. This shit has to be decided now, be it a deal or no deal.

Also the longer it goes the more time these spineless MP’s have to kick their supposed rebellion can down the road.

There has to be a point where things cannot be fudged anymore.

I think you underestimate how genuinely shite and self-interested these gobshites really are. The vast majority couldn't give a shiny shite about the wellbeing of the UK or its people.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24839 on: August 26, 2019, 08:12:55 am »
I think you underestimate how genuinely shite and self-interested these gobshites really are. The vast majority couldn't give a shiny shite about the wellbeing of the UK or its people.

I know and as such they will keep dragging this along. Starmer is talking about mandating the PM to ask for an extension. For bloody what?

We cannot have more extensions. This needs to be decided now one way or another.