Author Topic: What mobile phone?  (Read 869212 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: What mobile phone?
« Reply #7880 on: January 14, 2020, 10:58:44 am »
Had the 3 and 5T. Both had to go back due to screen burn. The servicing was very good (there, repaired and returned in less than a week)

But the move to the higher end of pricing was the finisher for me. Paying £700+ for a phone is just not something I can think about.

Yeah that doesn't help. Oneplus used to be THE budget-priced yet powerful phone, but it's creeping higher and higher... but they don't add all the premium features you'd want

Their next phone still won't have wireless charging!

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #7881 on: January 16, 2020, 09:33:15 am »
Dunno if I've written this already, but I'm currently using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 7. At £200 it's an excellent phone. It would be an excellent phone at twice that too.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #7882 on: January 19, 2020, 02:21:10 am »
Had an S8 since summer 2017, probably going to preorder the S11 (or S20) from wherever is cheapest. Am I doing wrong there?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7883 on: January 19, 2020, 09:03:32 am »
Had an S8 since summer 2017, probably going to preorder the S11 (or S20) from wherever is cheapest. Am I doing wrong there?

I'll be doing the same. I'll pobably get it off buymobiles.net

From all the leaks it looks it will be a huge upgrade.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #7884 on: January 19, 2020, 12:44:39 pm »
Been using the S7 since launch - really showing its age now.  Think ill get the new s11 / s20 when its released.  Really tempted to go with the samsung upgrade program, get a new phone every year or 2 if i fancied it.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #7885 on: January 23, 2020, 09:22:32 am »
Are there really people dumb enough to pay £94 a month for a Motorola Razr?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #7886 on: January 23, 2020, 11:19:19 am »
Are there really people dumb enough to pay £94 a month for a Motorola Razr?

Some people have more money than sense.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7887 on: February 11, 2020, 08:10:02 pm »
New z flip looks cool. S20+ pre orders are up. 57 quid on buymobiles with 100gb data on 3. I am tempted
Shame they did away with the headphone jack for good

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #7888 on: February 12, 2020, 08:18:21 am »
Used an S7 for ages, absolutely no issues with phone which has lasted me well. Unfortunately its that battered and bruised the camera is garbage.

I've upgraded to a Huawei P20 Pro but because A, I'm a technophobe and B, bone-idle, its sat in its box for nearly 6 weeks.

The reason I am afraid to start setting it up is last time I swapped phones, I lost all my whatsapp, texts and other stuff, including some sentimental messages.

I've brought it into work today and will walk into the Vodafone shop after work for them to set it up, though there must be an easier way!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7889 on: February 12, 2020, 08:36:51 am »
Used an S7 for ages, absolutely no issues with phone which has lasted me well. Unfortunately its that battered and bruised the camera is garbage.

I've upgraded to a Huawei P20 Pro but because A, I'm a technophobe and B, bone-idle, its sat in its box for nearly 6 weeks.

The reason I am afraid to start setting it up is last time I swapped phones, I lost all my whatsapp, texts and other stuff, including some sentimental messages.

I've brought it into work today and will walk into the Vodafone shop after work for them to set it up, though there must be an easier way!

You can back all that up to your google account and then restore it on your new phone

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7890 on: February 12, 2020, 09:17:28 am »

In Whatsapp if you go to Settings > Chats > Chat backup
It can back it up to your google account. Boom, restores the lot with a new phone cause it'll ask if you want to restore it all.

For texts not sure about Samsung but check settings within the messages app - most providers have a "sync" option in settings.

Ditto your gallery app. Having a google drive account is probably the way, a lot of Android backup seems to use that  :)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7891 on: February 13, 2020, 01:38:28 am »
How hard is it to stick a headphone socket in?

I hike a lot and listen to Spotify/Podcasts at work, so now I have to have 2 wireless headphone sets for when one runs out of charge?

Progress for progress' sake.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:14:31 am by bradders1011 »

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7892 on: February 13, 2020, 06:57:14 am »
Pre ordered the s20 plus. You get the free galaxy buds+ with them too which is nice.

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7893 on: February 13, 2020, 10:13:27 am »
Quite annoyed to find that the Samsung Store don't do delivery to the Isle of Man! They use DPD to do delivery and we actually have a DPD depot here so makes absolutely no sense.
Wanted to join the 'Samsung Upgrade Program' to pay it off in instalments and be able to upgrade to the 'next' device in 12 months but looks like that's no possible now. I've contacted them but doubt it'll make any difference.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7894 on: February 13, 2020, 10:15:18 am »
Pre ordered the s20 plus. You get the free galaxy buds+ with them too which is nice.

That quells my irritation somewhat. How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7895 on: February 13, 2020, 11:06:27 am »
That quells my irritation somewhat. How much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

A grand through the Samsung website. The regular s20 didn't come with the buds promotion so I figured I might as well go for the s20 plus if they were including some buds.

I opted against a contract this time round as I dont want to be stuck with a provider who might not roll out 5g where I am.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7896 on: February 14, 2020, 02:02:35 pm »
Strange question but where do people buy their phone cases?

Ideally looking for a clear plastic one - I don't understand how the official ones are £40 plus then you go on eBay / Amazon and they are much cheaper.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7897 on: February 14, 2020, 02:07:52 pm »

Ideally looking for a clear plastic one - I don't understand how the official ones are £40 plus then you go on eBay / Amazon and they are much cheaper.
Official ones are always 10x the price, never buy from them. Just go on Ebay and pick up a good quality case for no more than a fiver. Failing that, phones shops usually have them for £10.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7898 on: February 14, 2020, 02:13:09 pm »
Official ones are always 10x the price, never buy from them. Just go on Ebay and pick up a good quality case for no more than a fiver. Failing that, phones shops usually have them for £10.

That was my thoughts - just curious as to why some are so expensive when essentially a plain plastic hard case can't be that different
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7899 on: February 14, 2020, 02:16:28 pm »
The one I got with my Mi 9 is better than any other case!

Bought some off various tech sites... eBay is good for 'em. Bundled one though, wins! Which is rare...

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7900 on: February 14, 2020, 02:38:14 pm »
Try buymobiles.net

You can get the xr for 38 quid

How is this cheaper than actual network?

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7901 on: February 14, 2020, 02:47:04 pm »
I always buy a Spigen case whenever I get a new phone. Always quality and always under a tenner

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7902 on: February 14, 2020, 02:49:18 pm »
I always buy a Spigen case whenever I get a new phone. Always quality and always under a tenner

Where you get them?

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7903 on: February 14, 2020, 02:51:08 pm »
Off Amazon always, same day or next day delivery. What phone you got?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7904 on: February 14, 2020, 02:51:48 pm »
Off Amazon always, same day or next day delivery. What phone you got?

iPhone XR is going to be my upgrade

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #7906 on: February 15, 2020, 10:18:10 am »

The cheaper ones I've bought are always, always much poorer quality.

Flimsy and cheap looking. Across HTC, Samsung and One Plus over the years.

There's a reason why primark clothes are a £5, they are made with cheap materials and to a shoddy design specification.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #7907 on: February 15, 2020, 11:46:48 am »

Spigen cases are great, I’ve got a clear one for my XS Max (and an official leather one cos I’m a corporate slave).

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7908 on: February 16, 2020, 10:18:40 pm »
A grand through the Samsung website. The regular s20 didn't come with the buds promotion so I figured I might as well go for the s20 plus if they were including some buds.

I opted against a contract this time round as I dont want to be stuck with a provider who might not roll out 5g where I am.

Did the same and got £150 trade-in for my S8 and 30-odd quid on Topcashback, so quite happy. Went into the Samsung shop to have a look at it and the assistant said the earbuds charge for an hour's play in just a minute - fantastic if true.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #7909 on: February 19, 2020, 03:54:58 pm »
iPhone XR - 64GB or 128GB?

Will use to surf web, spotify and photos

Won't store music and currently have a 32GB iPhone 7

128GB probably more sensible for the fact its only a little more
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:49:34 pm by Nick110581 »

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7910 on: February 21, 2020, 05:50:36 pm »
Going to get the new Samsung Galaxy s20 Plus I think.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7911 on: February 24, 2020, 01:52:25 am »
Trading in my Galaxy S10 for the S20 in a couple weeks. I'll be getting the equivalent of 350 pounds for the S10 and the Galaxy Buds and will have to pay "only" 430 pounds more for the S20 and Galaxy Buds+
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7912 on: February 24, 2020, 06:08:48 am »
Trading in my Galaxy S10 for the S20 in a couple weeks. I'll be getting the equivalent of 350 pounds for the S10 and the Galaxy Buds and will have to pay "only" 430 pounds more for the S20 and Galaxy Buds+

I was going to get the S20 but you didn't get the free Galaxy buds+ with the S20 on EE. So I've gone for the S20+. The S20 Ultra looks way too big and bulky for my likening. Personally think that if you're not massively into using your camera on your phone, the S20 Ultra would be a waste of money anyway.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 06:11:12 am by Lycan »
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7913 on: February 24, 2020, 06:38:16 am »

I was going to get the S20 but you didn't get the free Galaxy buds+ with the S20 on EE. So I've gone for the S20+. The S20 Ultra looks way too big and bulky for my likening. Personally think that if you're not massively into using your camera on your phone, the S20 Ultra would be a waste of money anyway.

I was going to but I think the 6.7 inch screen is a little too big for my liking. Plus the buds + isn't free here with the S20+, we'd just get it for 20 pounds instead of 110

Also the phones are a bit cheaper here in India since we're getting the non-5G versions.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7914 on: February 24, 2020, 10:53:35 am »

I was going to but I think the 6.7 inch screen is a little too big for my liking. Plus the buds + isn't free here with the S20+, we'd just get it for 20 pounds instead of 110

Also the phones are a bit cheaper here in India since we're getting the non-5G versions.

Yeah it is a bit on the big side. I'm going from an S8 to this so it'll be a big difference.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7915 on: February 24, 2020, 11:01:19 am »
Xiaomi Mi has me for life! Funny the new Mi10 Pro has faster charging than the Galaxy S20 Ultra Plus at half the price :D

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7916 on: February 24, 2020, 01:00:32 pm »
Xiaomi Mi has me for life! Funny the new Mi10 Pro has faster charging than the Galaxy S20 Ultra Plus at half the price :D

The ultra charges at 45w. How fast does the Mi10 pro charge?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7917 on: February 24, 2020, 01:13:14 pm »

The ultra charges at 45w. How fast does the Mi10 pro charge?

Fast battery charging 50W
Fast wireless charging 30W

to Samsung Ultra's

Fast battery charging 45W
Fast Qi/PMA wireless charging 15W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #7918 on: February 24, 2020, 02:12:08 pm »
Fast charging has been more of a game changer than 90/120hz displays.

To be able to charge my phone from 0-100% in 30mins has meant I can bin my old power banks for long journeys.

Even when I go the match I can get in at 5 and by the time I leave for the game I have a fully charged phone.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7919 on: February 24, 2020, 03:21:52 pm »
Coming from an s8 with a shit battery I'll welcome the 4,500mah battery on the plus. Everything is a major upgrade for me considering this phone is 3 years old now. I'm not overly fussed if it takes an hour or half an hour to get 100 percent charge because either is good for me, it's like a negligible difference to me in the real world because as long as it gets me through my work day its job done.