Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 524774 times)

Offline lovestospooge

• Anny Roader
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #4000 on: September 16, 2021, 01:04:23 am »
anyone remember when we were gunning for naby and all that initial hype about his underlying metrics and that "packing" one in particular? there was a tweet all over LFC internet spheres people kept sharing explaining the packing thing was essentially how effective a player is at forward penetration e.g how many opposition players he could bypass via dribbling or the right pass to create attacking phases.

i'd love to see how joel rates in there he's absolutely brilliant at it and has been for a while now.

Offline Abin465

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4001 on: September 16, 2021, 06:32:51 am »
I felt he and Fabinho were the only ones displaying composure while defending. Everyone else in the midfield and defence were too frenetic and rushed causing us to lose the ball in dangerous areas once too often . When Van Dijk is there, he is the master of defending calmly and I think the team missed that in the back today.

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4002 on: September 16, 2021, 07:49:25 am »
Van Dijk is huge, I don't know why our game has panic when Van Dijk is not there even when there is no significant threat.
No one communicates properly and organizes things when Van Dijk is not there. Matip is amazing at defending but in leadership terms he is not Van Dijk.
The midfield also loses composure when Van Dijk is not there.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4003 on: September 16, 2021, 08:06:02 am »
I love how he turns into Joel Messip once every match. He almost took it past half their team on the edge of the box last night.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4004 on: September 16, 2021, 08:15:09 am »
Maybe he'll be a bit disappointed with himself when he doesn't manage to clear in the buildup for their second, bit on the whole he was excellent as usual.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #4005 on: September 16, 2021, 10:20:03 am »
What i'm pleased with is that he seems to have lost his 50p head in the opposition box too. Was alone it felt attacking corners (normally has Firmino and Van Dijk with him as a big attacking threat) and he got his head on quite a few, got a couple on target. 5 goals this season for him incoming
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4006 on: September 16, 2021, 02:17:03 pm »
Maybe he'll be a bit disappointed with himself when he doesn't manage to clear in the buildup for their second, bit on the whole he was excellent as usual.

yeah the ball somehow snuck by/through him

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4007 on: September 16, 2021, 06:39:30 pm »
Class act.

Maybe he will be rested at weekend but you feel safe with him there.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4008 on: September 16, 2021, 06:42:39 pm »
Class act.

Maybe he will be rested at weekend but you feel safe with him there.

I think it would be good to rest him - that said he had no international duties.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4009 on: September 16, 2021, 06:43:42 pm »
No need to play him 3 games in a week when we'll be brining Virgil back in. Gomez or Konate shod be fine for Palace, I'd rather not push Joel too much too soon.

Online Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #4010 on: September 20, 2021, 04:40:13 pm »
Read today that Joel has more touches in the attacking box and twice as many shots (8-4) as Sir Harry of Kane, 150 million pound striker and Captain of Britannia (est).
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4011 on: September 25, 2021, 10:50:29 pm »
No one brought this thread up, but I think Matip deserves praises for his performance today. Not just the goal-line clearance, his overall play was great, he was the better CB today.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4012 on: September 25, 2021, 10:51:12 pm »
No one brought this thread up, but I think Matip deserves praises for his performance today. Not just the goal-line clearance, his overall play was great, he was the better CB today.

Haha, what?! He was shocking, lost battles everywhere but it happens, he's been amazing for ages so allowed a bad one.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4013 on: September 25, 2021, 10:54:45 pm »
Haha, what?! He was shocking, lost battles everywhere but it happens, he's been amazing for ages so allowed a bad one.
Maybe we were watching a different game, it wasn't a bad one from Matip.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4014 on: September 25, 2021, 10:55:30 pm »
Maybe we were watching a different game, it wasn't a bad one from Matip.

It was. He lost out on the big moments. But as was said, it happens.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4015 on: September 25, 2021, 11:02:15 pm »
It was. He lost out on the big moments. But as was said, it happens.
Do you mean the unsuccessful block on the first goal? I think that was fortuitous for their player. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4016 on: September 25, 2021, 11:05:18 pm »
Do you mean the unsuccessful block on the first goal? I think that was fortuitous for their player. 

That final goal he needs to win that 50-50. Him, Fabinho and Van Dijk are incredible but they all lost out against their opponents on all three goals. Far too casual.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4017 on: September 25, 2021, 11:11:22 pm »
That final goal he needs to win that 50-50. Him, Fabinho and Van Dijk are incredible but they all lost out against their opponents on all three goals. Far too casual.
I can't fully disagree. But for the first goal, a lot of people missed the ball and there were fortunate touches on their part. Maybe Matip was expected to win the 50-50, but it's harsh to judge him on that. The second was mostly down to VVD failing to properly challenge for the header, and I can't put any blame on Matip for the 3rd. Hendo and Fab were out of place leaving Trent exposed, and Salah should have tracked back to help Trent.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4018 on: September 25, 2021, 11:14:16 pm »
I can't fully disagree. But for the first goal, a lot of people missed the ball and there were fortunate touches on their part. Maybe Matip was expected to win the 50-50, but it's harsh to judge him on that. The second was mostly down to VVD failing to properly challenge for the header, and I can't put any blame on Matip for the 3rd. Hendo and Fab were out of place leaving Trent exposed, and Salah should have tracked back to help Trent.

Matip should be going all in and trying to properly win that final challenge for the third goal. It was poor and reflected our incredibly passive and casual play at the back all game.

But he wasn’t the only one. Hard to know if we were just a bit arrogant or our minds were elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 11:16:36 pm by a treeless whopper »

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #4019 on: September 25, 2021, 11:21:12 pm »
Body language on both Matip and VVD  after their second was  blasé as fuck.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4020 on: September 26, 2021, 12:55:08 am »
We really needed Konate to come on instead of Bobby
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4021 on: September 26, 2021, 01:08:45 am »

Were they holding their phones while playing?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #4022 on: September 26, 2021, 01:36:34 am »
Matip should be going all in and trying to properly win that final challenge for the third goal. It was poor and reflected our incredibly passive and casual play at the back all game.

You do realise that the ball got stuck against Trent’s back and that in order to ‘win’ that challenge from the angle he was at he would have had to have kicked through his side and likely injured him in the process?  You make it sound like he pulled out of a challenge with the Brentford player because he just didn’t fancy it.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4023 on: October 4, 2021, 09:36:14 am »
Loved that he tried to bomb forward and take on their entire team.

Played a lovely through ball to Jota that split their defence. But I do wish he stops those floaty long balls out wide. Too easy to read and cut out.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4024 on: October 4, 2021, 09:45:13 am »
Loved that he tried to bomb forward and take on their entire team.

Played a lovely through ball to Jota that split their defence. But I do wish he stops those floaty long balls out wide. Too easy to read and cut out.
His ground passes are very impressive and zip along the surface. VVD is the best at playing long passes.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4025 on: October 4, 2021, 09:51:11 am »

Agreed. I want to see a synchronised Sammy Kuffour in that scenario in future.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4026 on: October 4, 2021, 10:03:11 am »
His ground passes are very impressive and zip along the surface. VVD is the best at playing long passes.

Yeah he's very good at those forceful ones into the attacking third, but his lofted ones are like the ones I play in my dreams which don't go anywhere :D

Tremendous player though, been excellent this season. People still don't seem to want to acknowledge the damage of losing him and Gomez alongside VVD last season.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4027 on: October 4, 2021, 01:25:51 pm »
Yeah he's very good at those forceful ones into the attacking third, but his lofted ones are like the ones I play in my dreams which don't go anywhere :D

Tremendous player though, been excellent this season. People still don't seem to want to acknowledge the damage of losing him and Gomez alongside VVD last season.

you play with lofted balls in your dreams....this explains a lot everything.

:D

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #4028 on: October 4, 2021, 07:33:16 pm »
For me, one of the very few Liverpool players to come out of yesterday's first half with any credit. The point on lofted passes and crosses probably applies to most of our team. TAA's crosses are high-percentage because he whips them in, flat. Robbo too, although he can't get his sights set right this season. Our forwards aren't giants. It's the glanced headers from zippy crosses that work best, Jota excepted maybe.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4029 on: October 16, 2021, 11:32:57 pm »
Not quite sure how this thread is half way down the second page.

Best centre half in the world. Has made it incredibly easy for Virgil to slot back in. No wonder he loves him!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #4030 on: October 16, 2021, 11:37:01 pm »
Not quite sure how this thread is half way down the second page.

Best centre half in the world. Has made it incredibly easy for Virgil to slot back in. No wonder he loves him!

cos we are so used to Joel just being Joel.

He is class!

Offline abs-ibs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4031 on: October 16, 2021, 11:37:55 pm »
Absolutely love Joel. He never seems to panic, always tries to play forward, if he can't pass easy, he will just dribble past half the team to find the right pass lol. He's awesome!!! Feel a bit sorry for Konate and Gomez when we have Virg n Joel in the team as well.

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4032 on: October 16, 2021, 11:42:21 pm »
Most under rated player in the Prem in my opinion

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4033 on: October 16, 2021, 11:54:11 pm »
Every time he does a good bit of skill the first thing I shout is "Well in Joel!" The next thing I shout is "Please just stay fit Joel!"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4034 on: October 16, 2021, 11:59:41 pm »
Most under rated player in the Prem in my opinion

he really is.

It’s funny really, as I am sure he doesn’t care, he’s a very low key character and doesn’t seek the limelight.

But it’s also slightly ridiculous, and rather insulting, as the only compliment those on the outside want to give is to Virgil, basically because he cost a lot so they can use it for the ‘oh look Liverpool spend loads too’. But I wouldn’t swap Joel for any other centre back in the league. And it isn’t anything new, the CL season he was immense, and a big shout for man of the match in the final.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4035 on: October 17, 2021, 12:12:59 am »
But it’s also slightly ridiculous, and rather insulting, as the only compliment those on the outside want to give is to Virgil, basically because he cost a lot so they can use it for the ‘oh look Liverpool spend loads too’. But I wouldn’t swap Joel for any other centre back in the league. And it isn’t anything new, the CL season he was immense, and a big shout for man of the match in the final.

So true. Man Uniteds first choice defence pair cost 100m while ours 75m.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4036 on: October 17, 2021, 12:13:16 am »

It’s funny really, as I am sure he doesn’t care, he’s a very low key character and doesn’t seek the limelight.

Think it was Tepid who analyzed the very camp nature of some of Joel's play and general behaviors.

He's not just on a different wavelength; Joel doesn't need common, plebian things such as wavelengths.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4037 on: October 17, 2021, 12:31:50 am »
cos we are so used to Joel just being Joel.

He is class!

He’s really wonderful, isn’t he? I know you will know a lot more about him and have seen a lot more of his career than most of us as I guess you saw a lot of him at Schalke as well. I really am only half joking when I call him the best centre half in the world. Even with all of the injuries, he just slots straight back in. Basically like Ledley King. But better. And funnier.

That season we won the CL he was phenomenal and it never really gets spoken about because of the seismic impact Virgil had. But for me, genuinely, Joel is alongside him at least with his performances since Virg came in. He really, really is that good.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4038 on: October 17, 2021, 01:15:53 am »
He’s really wonderful, isn’t he? I know you will know a lot more about him and have seen a lot more of his career than most of us as I guess you saw a lot of him at Schalke as well. I really am only half joking when I call him the best centre half in the world. Even with all of the injuries, he just slots straight back in. Basically like Ledley King. But better. And funnier.

That season we won the CL he was phenomenal and it never really gets spoken about because of the seismic impact Virgil had. But for me, genuinely, Joel is alongside him at least with his performances since Virg came in. He really, really is that good.

Thing is at Schalke, don’t think anyone really envisioned this career development.

There he started out as a midfielder, played there mostly in his first season and a half in the first team, before becoming a regular at centre back and was a permanent fixture in their team. But he was still prone to some mistakes, and maybe his sort of gangly style was seen as a being ‘funny’! But Schalke fans love him, and are genuinley really happy at how he’s now the player he is and won the biggest trophies, they are really proud of him.

But yeah that CL season he was incredible, and you are right, it sort of went unsaid a lot, because of Virg. And he’s having a superb season again so far.

Online Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #4039 on: October 17, 2021, 01:48:22 am »
Plus out of context Joel Matip is totally hilarious. Its partially ministry of silly walks in real life. He did a great one one in training the other day when Adrian messed up a simple one-two in rondos, hilarious. im pretty sure that'll get no contexted if it isn't already. Its just really great all around.

Seriously, against watford i was thinking to myself that it was almost unfair having a guy that good on the ball playing as an advanced cb right on the half and perfectly ready and able to run with it if necessary, but rarely required because his passing is also lightning quick and precise. Virgils a little further back, all the better for the raking switches. Against an overmatched team like watford its deadly.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.