Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 524776 times)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome (back) to Liverpool, Joel Matip!
« Reply #3800 on: February 2, 2021, 01:00:45 am »
Matip definitely deserves a lot of love and support right now

Talent wise for me he's been the second best CB I've seen for us after Virg. I love watching him

Massively unlucky, both for us and him. We can try and replace him, but he can't replace all the time he's lost playing, for that, I feel gutted for him

Offline rubber soul

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3801 on: February 2, 2021, 01:23:32 am »
Is it bonkers though?
Gomez has already picked up season ending injuries before, and Matip has barely had a run of 3 consecutive games going on 2 seasons.
The only surprise is Van Dijk getting injured for the season. The rest was surely more likely than unlikely.
Are you actually for real?

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3802 on: February 2, 2021, 01:39:22 am »
How’d he do his ankle, I do recall someone going in with a late tackle before halftime?

Klopp said it was from the recovery tackle on Son.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3803 on: February 2, 2021, 02:43:30 am »
Based on Klopp's comments, he played with injuries this season as we had limited options, sacrificed himself for the sake of the team, and also he's def. going to be here next season. Klopps ''we'll wait for him'' words

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #3804 on: February 2, 2021, 05:16:58 am »
Had a feeling it would be bad news, speedy recovery Matip.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #3805 on: February 2, 2021, 05:19:21 am »
Amazingly unlucky. Poor Joel, really do feel for the guy. But can we now please get Kirkby an exorcism? 3 first team CB's and all have season ending injuries. Maybe we need that horse prevents woman in.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline bandu

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3806 on: February 2, 2021, 05:51:44 am »
Matip is Aurelio 2.0, very good player but made out of glass, wishing him speedy recovery

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3807 on: February 2, 2021, 06:34:05 am »
No one could have predicted before the season began losing all three of our CB's at the end of January. I don't care how "injury prone" certain players are accused of being. This is unprecedented and it's ended up like this because of how the season has been "organised". This is entirely the fault of the footballing authorities who have put crazy pressures on players and clubs to play a stupid number of games too close together.

This is true that they've tried to cram too many games into too small a time frame (then taking the piss with three international games, one of which is a friendly, in the international breaks). But why is it us who've had it FAR worse than anyone else? Injuries are generally up, but no club has had it anything like us. It's a genuine question, but I don't think we can only blame the authorities - don't get me wrong, we've been incredibly unlucky, but I think we also took a flier with our CB options going into this season, and we've been punished to the maximum extent for it.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2021, 06:52:01 am by decosabute »

Online Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3808 on: February 2, 2021, 06:56:03 am »
Constant serious ligament injuries,bane of our existence.

Get well soon Joel,extremely bad luck.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3809 on: February 2, 2021, 07:05:50 am »
Has played 2 great first halves recently... and been injured in both. Such a shame as we've looked that much better when he's played

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3810 on: February 2, 2021, 07:12:30 am »
How’d he do his ankle, I do recall someone going in with a late tackle before halftime?

Apparently it was when he chased back with son and won the ball? Looked perfect, no idea how he's injured himself so badly, maybe twisted his ankle and cameras not picked it up. And also managed to keep playing. Oh well.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3811 on: February 2, 2021, 07:14:57 am »
I’ve been in the camp of get rid, but if it’s true that he has effectively taken one for the team, then I think he deserves some loyalty. However, given his record it surely can’t be for anything more than 5th choice.

He was out for most of last season too, so that was meant to be a reset season, then he hobbled off post restart after doing his toe v Everton. I’m struggling to think of any player we’ve had that after having a history of picking up injuries, his injury record suddenly improves.

That is why letting Lovren go was the right thing, because he too had a history of unreliability, and had he been around this season, his history tells us that there’s a good chance he would have broken down when most needed.
Perhaps not bringing a CB in during the summer was a bit optimistic, but again, with COVID affecting finances, we had to be creative to fill other gaps in the squad.

Nobody could have foreseen the scale and nature of injuries that we’ve had this year, but post COVID especially we can’t afford to be tying up huge wages long term on players that history tells us can’t be relied on.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3812 on: February 2, 2021, 07:16:00 am »
Three CBs to season ending injuries is absurd
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #3813 on: February 2, 2021, 07:31:21 am »
Three CBs to season ending injuries is absurd

3 CBs with the bees knees
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #3814 on: February 2, 2021, 07:56:30 am »
This is true that they've tried to cram too many games into too small a time frame (then taking the piss with three international games, one of which is a friendly, in the international breaks). But why is it us who've had it FAR worse than anyone else? Injuries are generally up, but no club has had it anything like us. It's a genuine question, but I don't think we can only blame the authorities - don't get me wrong, we've been incredibly unlucky, but I think we also took a flier with our CB options going into this season, and we've been punished to the maximum extent for it.
Because no one else has to deal with Everton wanting nothing more than to inflict damage rather than actually play 90 min of football. That match alone cost us 2 players to long term injuries and its been exacerbated by international football and the shortened season.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3815 on: February 2, 2021, 07:57:02 am »
So, Matip did his ankle in the tackle with Son...

That was only about 10 minutes into the match... he played the rest of the half with ruptured ligaments...  that’s quite something. He must have been in agony...

I wonder if he exacerbated it later in the half or something?

And for those who know... “But he walked of the pitch”
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3816 on: February 2, 2021, 08:01:39 am »
Maybe a proper injury rehab and gym work over the summer will build him up a bit and make him more robust.  Or maybe he's just past what his body can take on a regular basis  a bit like Agger.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3817 on: February 2, 2021, 08:38:50 am »
Poor chap

Bit like Studge and Lallana. And Naby seems to be in the same boat too. Undoubtedly immensely talented and yet constantly breaking down, unable to get a proper run in the team and on the odd occasion they do they look absolutely brilliant. Frustrating for supporters but I can't even imagine how hard it must be for players like that.

Get well soon Joel
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #3818 on: February 2, 2021, 08:39:46 am »
Feel bad for him. He´s absolutely quality when he plays. Not just a solid defender but a great defender in my book. He has played an instrumental part in this team. When Gomez was out and Matip actually put a decent string of games together, he had cemented himself as our 2nd choice CB after Van Dijk for me.

But at 29 it looks likely this will be the beginning of the end for him. You simply can´t plan a defence around someone injured so often.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3819 on: February 2, 2021, 09:04:57 am »
Reading Klopp’s comments and I get the impression that they’re thinking/hoping that this prolonged break will help him get over all of his other various niggles and issues, almost to give his body a bit of a reset.

He seemed to insinuate they've had to rush him back this season due to the other injuries and he's kept breaking down. In recent seasons he's suffered some unfortunate impact injuries (Everton last season, Napoli the year before) but this season he's been getting injuries with nobody near him.

Therefore maybe he's injured for 2-3 months with the ankle but they just aren't going to rush him back again for April/May and he won't be playing till pre-season (I wish it was the same with VVD too) which they could follow through with after the two signings.

Maybe this is why they're being more cautious with Keita this time.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2021, 09:09:31 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3820 on: February 2, 2021, 09:08:17 am »
Ideally you'd like your 4th choice to be bulletproof, as it would mean you were in trouble already. You can't have your backstop be made of glass really.
Correct. We can’t have a guaranteed “sub the sub” situation. It’s pointless playing someone who has a higher than likely chance of getting injuries during the match.

The sports science guys will know better and hope he could have a second spring like Robin Van Persie. Even if it was for one season.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #3821 on: February 2, 2021, 09:11:07 am »
Matip was awesome in that first CL run...was genuinely wondering whether he or Gomez would partner VVD in the season after he was that good in the previous Jan-May

Desperately unlucky that he has had these injuries. Hopefully he can use the time to build his body much stronger and get over all the injuries that have been hassling him and come back out to play for us when there's a crowd there to back him!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3822 on: February 2, 2021, 09:15:13 am »
Correct. We can’t have a guaranteed “sub the sub” situation. It’s pointless playing someone who has a higher than likely chance of getting injuries during the match.

The sports science guys will know better and hope he could have a second spring like Robin Van Persie. Even if it was for one season.

Ultimately, it's no use selling him this summer anyway, he'd have no transfer value after the 18 months he's had with injuries.

It's make or break next season though. One of the frustrations with him is he's about the only player we have, along with Milner, who doesn't go off on every international break and play every summer. You'd expect therefore he'd be someone you could rely on more.

He's genuinely world class though. Even better than Agger was, for example, although Agger would have flourished in a Klopp team too. He's better than Gomez.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2021, 09:17:39 am by Fromola »

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3823 on: February 2, 2021, 09:15:54 am »
Gutted for him, and for us. Great defender, only he is made of glass.

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
« Reply #3824 on: February 2, 2021, 09:19:46 am »
Maybe the sports science guys know something already and that is why he is being taken out until next season. Rushing him back is maybe the worst thing we can do to a player like Matip? He is injury-prone but not always like he has been this season. Two seasons ago with Gomez victim of a leg-breaker challenge, he stepped up and played an awful lot of minutes. Helped us to a ECL and almost a PL title. Definitely worth keeping as an alternate to the starting two.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3825 on: February 2, 2021, 09:37:36 am »
Gutted for him, and for us. Great defender, only he is made of glass.
He makes Agger look like he was made from granite.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3826 on: February 2, 2021, 09:40:30 am »
Joel has lots of niggles but off the top of my head this is his first major absence?

Feel for him, despite his injuries he still seems to have gotten better each year. He’s a quality defender.

Online Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #3827 on: February 2, 2021, 09:44:37 am »
Great thing about Matip is the fact that after injury he doesn't seem to need a run of games to get back up to speed. Seems to just slot back in. You could argue he has had a lot of practice in that respect though.

Massive blow this. Need one of the two new centre backs to step up quicktime. I think Nat philips would be ok for Brighton but might struggle with City.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3828 on: February 2, 2021, 09:47:34 am »
Joel has lots of niggles but off the top of my head this is his first major absence?

Feel for him, despite his injuries he still seems to have gotten better each year. He’s a quality defender.
Wasn't he out for a big chunk of last season

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #3829 on: February 2, 2021, 11:09:32 am »
Really really rate the guy as a player when fit, but i don't think he will be back majorly involved in the Liverpool first team ever again to be honest now. Need to push on with more reliable options.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3830 on: February 2, 2021, 11:16:24 am »

The problem is centre back is the one area of the pitch where Klopp likes to have a settled partnership, it's no good being fit for two games and then missing three.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3831 on: February 2, 2021, 11:25:19 am »
Just to add my best wishes to Joel, should he read this. Unique character and classy footballer. The centre halves club at rehab should be a bit of a laugh now. 3 of them.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3832 on: February 2, 2021, 11:44:16 am »
Feel we should stick by him despite the injury problems, should he wish to stay. On his day I honestly think he’s one of the best center backs in the league.

It’s just a shame he can’t be relied on more often.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3833 on: February 2, 2021, 11:44:55 am »
Wasn't he out for a big chunk of last season

October to January due to a knee injury.

Klopp says Joel started the season injured and from reading what Klopp says it looks like he has played while injured.

“But he will be ready for the start of the next pre-season and finally everything will be sorted.”

Praising the No.32’s efforts to play through injuries and sacrifice his own fitness on behalf of the team, Klopp added: “In the end, we have to admit that he probably did that.

“The situation is just, the season started and Joel was injured when the season started, unfortunately. We should not forget that at Schalke when he was there he played pretty much all the time completely through, he never had something.

“Then he was unlucky with a Koulibaly challenge against Napoli in the last second, in the Everton game kind of things, a little bit with the foot here and there. If something started and then the situation is like our situation – that nobody can really wait because of our situation with Virgil out and Joe out – we always had to try to find the first moment when he is able to play again.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/424517-jurgen-klopp-confirms-joel-matip-injury-diagnosis
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3834 on: February 2, 2021, 11:47:34 am »
Really really rate the guy as a player when fit, but i don't think he will be back majorly involved in the Liverpool first team ever again to be honest now. Need to push on with more reliable options.

Why do people keep posting this stuff?
He's unsellable ... he's got 3 years left on his deal on around 100k a week and coming off a major injury; whose buying him / taking on his wages in a post pandemic off season?
He'll be here next season and he's the second best CB at the club so why wouldn't he play?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3835 on: February 2, 2021, 11:52:06 am »
Why do people keep posting this stuff?
He's unsellable ... he's got 3 years left on his deal on around 100k a week and coming off a major injury; whose buying him / taking on his wages in a post pandemic off season?
He'll be here next season and he's the second best CB at the club so why wouldn't he play?

Injuries  ;D

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #3836 on: February 2, 2021, 12:05:38 pm »

Be fair some of our injuries were far from accidents.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3837 on: February 2, 2021, 12:14:29 pm »
Be fair some of our injuries were far from accidents.

Its been open season on our players this year with refs allowing the likes of thugs like Everton to get away with acts of violence

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3838 on: February 2, 2021, 12:16:28 pm »
Matip is Aurelio 2.0, very good player but made out of glass, wishing him speedy recovery

Glass that's been dipped in liquid nitrogen.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3839 on: February 2, 2021, 12:20:56 pm »
Its been open season on our players this year with refs allowing the likes of thugs like Everton to get away with acts of violence

You know what you're getting with Everton though. Matip got crocked after a bad challenge at Goodison first game after lockdown and he's had injury after injury since. Origi not been the same since Mori went out to do him. Richarlison on Thiago.

They'll happily take the red card. As long as that shitstain of a club are in the PL we'll always have to run the gauntlet of long term injuries.