Author Topic: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle  (Read 110032 times)

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Coaching Circle
« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2012, 04:32:32 pm »
Cheers Col, bit worried though, since that session, Jose's form dipped and he has now been injured. All my fault! :)

Two hours chasing 8 year olds is good for nobody!

As an aside, the US Embassy appears to have potentially fucked up a great opportunity for me, by not sorting my visa out in time.

Bollocks!
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2012, 05:06:57 pm »
Two hours chasing 8 year olds is good for nobody!

As an aside, the US Embassy appears to have potentially fucked up a great opportunity for me, by not sorting my visa out in time.

Bollocks!

What you going to do now then mate? I don't know what that Visa stuff means, do you have to come back home?

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: February 16, 2012, 05:29:53 pm »
What you going to do now then mate? I don't know what that Visa stuff means, do you have to come back home?

I'm in England at the moment mate, trying to get back out.

I should be fine getting back out there but it won't be with the club I was supposed to be working with as they've had to fill my position as their pre season starts in two weeks.

They're still keen on hiring me apparently but it wont be for a few months yet and will be dependant on player recruitment for next season so it may not actually happen at all. Time will tell!

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: February 16, 2012, 05:43:46 pm »
Gutted to hear about that Col. Hopefully it does all work out.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: February 16, 2012, 05:50:55 pm »
Gutted to hear about that Col. Hopefully it does all work out.

Haha cheers, I'm sure it will!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #325 on: February 16, 2012, 06:39:21 pm »
I'm in England at the moment mate, trying to get back out.

I should be fine getting back out there but it won't be with the club I was supposed to be working with as they've had to fill my position as their pre season starts in two weeks.

They're still keen on hiring me apparently but it wont be for a few months yet and will be dependant on player recruitment for next season so it may not actually happen at all. Time will tell!

Fucking Yanks...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: February 16, 2012, 08:21:13 pm »
Fucking Yanks...

I hate them all.

(Just don't tell the missus.)

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #327 on: February 16, 2012, 10:05:35 pm »
I hate them all.

You know, if the missus became the Missus, all the visa problems go buh-bye... :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2012, 10:42:08 pm »
You know, if the missus became the Missus, all the visa problems go buh-bye... :wave
Shhh!

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2012, 01:47:29 pm »

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: February 17, 2012, 06:13:28 pm »
Ryan - here's one for you, mate!

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/video-a-day-out-with-jose-and-seb

Haha cheers Col. Don't have a good feeling about Seb if he's plays Sunday after seeing Enrique's form drop after an hour with me :)

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: March 12, 2012, 03:52:13 pm »
I haven't coached a session since November... funny how much you miss it!

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2012, 05:38:18 pm »
I haven't coached a session since November... funny how much you miss it!

How come mate?

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2012, 08:08:07 pm »
How come mate?

Didn't know how long I was going to be around for, so didn't want to start working with a team then disappear half way through the season.

Still, back at it soon.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: March 12, 2012, 08:59:56 pm »
Didn't know how long I was going to be around for, so didn't want to start working with a team then disappear half way through the season.

Still, back at it soon.

Take a week off mate and I start falling to bits! Good luck for the future anyways Col.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: March 15, 2012, 09:49:01 am »
Take a week off mate and I start falling to bits! Good luck for the future anyways Col.

Cheers mate. I've just landed a great job so I'll be sound in a couple of weeks!

Offline Kaiser

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2012, 11:14:55 am »
(not strictly coaching but..) One of the lads who I coach and manage, his dad is a youth coach at a premier league club. I'd like to ask him whether I could do any work experience type stuff, where he coaches or if I could go and just sample some of what he does because it's the job I'd love to get in to. Thing is I don't often get a chance to talk with parents whilst I'm coaching or the boys are playing and I'd feel cheeky just dropping a text! Any advice?

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #337 on: April 26, 2012, 11:24:34 pm »
My advice would be that you have to take any opportunity that comes your way if its what you truly want.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:26 am »
I was covering a U8 team I haven't worked with before at a tournament today.

One of the kids was on the bench, and his mum comes up behind him, reaches around in front of his face, and makes him read a text message.

The message was from the kid's dad - who wasn't at the game - and apparently read along the lines of "You need to score like you did on Tuesday when you zigzagged around everyone".

So, remote coaching of a kid, during a game, via text message, when you haven't got a clue what's actually happening on the field because you aren't there, and delivering said coaching 'advice' via your loud, obnoxious, and ironically obese wife.

Parenting - you're doing it wrong.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: May 20, 2012, 07:31:09 am »
Maybe that's what your doing wrong Col, need to start 'txting' your instructions ;)

Offline Kaiser

• Kemlynite
« Reply #340 on: May 20, 2012, 11:19:26 am »

One of the kids was on the bench, and his mum comes up behind him, reaches around in front of his face, and makes him read a text message.

The message was from the kid's dad - who wasn't at the game - and apparently read along the lines of "You need to score like you did on Tuesday when you zigzagged around everyone".

So, remote coaching of a kid, during a game, via text message, when you haven't got a clue what's actually happening on the field because you aren't there, and delivering said coaching 'advice' via your loud, obnoxious, and ironically obese wife.

Parents can be laughable at times. One of the dads for my team called his son over when we were having a round robin tournament to finish the season's training, and told him not to go in goal because 'it's not good for you'. The parents are usually top class, always great at the games and rarely ever intefere with training, but it's just little things like that have you wondering sometimes about some of the stuff they tell their kids.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: May 21, 2012, 02:37:00 am »

Wow.  Gotta love parents these days

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: May 21, 2012, 06:24:34 am »
One of the parents (ex rugby league player) from the u13's team I'm coaching wanted to show the boys some videos. He started by showing us some footage of Messi and telling us "you don't need to use fancy stepovers". Then he showed us some more Barcelona footage focusing on Sanchez's off the ball movements, that was good. Then he put on a youtube video of Pro-Evolution Soccer and informed us that this was the latest technology used by football coaches not realising that we were actually watching footage from a computer game. I didn't say anything but the boys let him know of his mistake.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: May 29, 2012, 05:18:49 pm »
One of the parents (ex rugby league player) from the u13's team I'm coaching wanted to show the boys some videos. He started by showing us some footage of Messi and telling us "you don't need to use fancy stepovers". Then he showed us some more Barcelona footage focusing on Sanchez's off the ball movements, that was good. Then he put on a youtube video of Pro-Evolution Soccer and informed us that this was the latest technology used by football coaches not realising that we were actually watching footage from a computer game. I didn't say anything but the boys let him know of his mistake.

That's great

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: June 2, 2012, 08:56:46 pm »
Thinking of getting into coaching at some point over the next few months. Could try and play but Im not good enough to play at a respectable level so I dont see the point in playing for shitkickers united. There's a few level one courses over the next few months in the local area so seriously thinking of just doing it.

Live in North Wales so anyone around that area able to give me some advice?
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: June 7, 2012, 01:19:55 am »
I've just had a conversation with two parents letting them know that their kid won't be getting a contract for next season because his attitude isn't good enough.

The response?

"That's alright, your team's kinda shitty and the other parents are assholes."

I've genuinely no idea where he gets it from.

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #346 on: June 8, 2012, 12:28:24 am »
Haha, seems like your better off without them mate. No need for them to be bitter about it though.
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: June 8, 2012, 01:48:05 am »
Haha, seems like your better off without them mate. No need for them to be bitter about it though.

It's the second time he's been released from a club for the same reason.

He's ten.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: June 8, 2012, 02:18:41 am »
I hate them all.

I work for Homeland. You've been logged, Commie.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: June 8, 2012, 02:27:36 am »
My ex girlfriend is a teacher in Ohio, and apparently when she interviewed for a teaching job, one of the high schools asked her if she could also coach the girl's team. This is why the level of football is in the shitter in this country. A girl whose football education is a coed game here and there five years ago is being offered a head coach position.

I remember coaching a highschool JV side (head coach was a top college coach at one point, his assistant was a college assistant, so our staff was actually decent) and having to work on things like first touch, side passes and standing tackles. These are 15-18 year old boys. I don't understand why a coach at that level should be showing kids how to do a proper standing tackle.

Oh wait, because we give English teachers head coach positions.  :butt

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: June 8, 2012, 02:33:53 am »

It's the second time he's been released from a club for the same reason.

He's ten.

Just to play devils advocate here, how many children have a fully fledged 'attitude' at ten years old? He's a child for fucks sake. If he doesn't have the talent themn fair enough but for me any organisation that is jibbing off 10 year olds because they have the wrong 'attitude' is doomed to mediocrity.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: June 8, 2012, 03:23:25 am »
Just to play devils advocate here, how many children have a fully fledged 'attitude' at ten years old? He's a child for fucks sake. If he doesn't have the talent themn fair enough but for me any organisation that is jibbing off 10 year olds because they have the wrong 'attitude' is doomed to mediocrity.

He doesn't yet have the attitude or self-awareness to interact as part of a group or team.

I won't go into details, but it's too soon for him.

If we have 15 other players of similar or better ability who don't walk around picking on the other players, blaming defeats on them in front of the other kids, and telling them to "shut their mouths", then the other players are going to fill the spaces we have available. If he matures over the next 12 months then he can come back and try out again.

As for the mediocrity - the most recent big success story is a pretty good one.

« Last Edit: June 8, 2012, 03:25:50 am by Col »

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: June 8, 2012, 07:57:53 am »
He doesn't yet have the attitude or self-awareness to interact as part of a group or team.

I won't go into details, but it's too soon for him.

If we have 15 other players of similar or better ability who don't walk around picking on the other players, blaming defeats on them in front of the other kids, and telling them to "shut their mouths", then the other players are going to fill the spaces we have available. If he matures over the next 12 months then he can come back and try out again.

As for the mediocrity - the most recent big success story is a pretty good one.

What happens if your top scorer and playmaker develops a shitty attitude - release them too ?

It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Kaiser

• Kemlynite
« Reply #353 on: June 8, 2012, 01:40:32 pm »
I think it depends on, in what way their attitude is bad and what sort of discipline procedures the club/team have in place. I hate the thought of anyone being jibbed off at the age of ten but, again I don't know what the reasons are.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: June 8, 2012, 04:15:31 pm »
What happens if your top scorer and playmaker develops a shitty attitude - release them too ?

He was top scorer.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: June 8, 2012, 04:21:08 pm »
I think it depends on, in what way their attitude is bad and what sort of discipline procedures the club/team have in place. I hate the thought of anyone being jibbed off at the age of ten but, again I don't know what the reasons are.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way round - each year, all players have to 'try out' for the following season. Just because you're in the team one year, doesn't make you an automatic pick the next. We had enough players at a high enough level to be able to fill our squad without taking the kid who causes issues almost every session and during games.

There's a difference between "getting cut" from a team (which is a shit American term that implies you have some form of right to be on it in the first place), and "not making" a team... this kid didn't make the team for next year.

Offline Kaiser

• Kemlynite
« Reply #356 on: June 9, 2012, 02:52:50 pm »
I think you're looking at it the wrong way round - each year, all players have to 'try out' for the following season. Just because you're in the team one year, doesn't make you an automatic pick the next. We had enough players at a high enough level to be able to fill our squad without taking the kid who causes issues almost every session and during games.

There's a difference between "getting cut" from a team (which is a shit American term that implies you have some form of right to be on it in the first place), and "not making" a team... this kid didn't make the team for next year.

Fair enough if you're telling them at the end of the season. It sounds reasonable to give them till the end of a season to sort their act out, you can obviously give that player notice that 'if you carry on like this, you won't be sticking round' also giving them another opportunity to come back.  What happens if someone who played in the team last year doesn't make it for the next year, where does he go from there?

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: June 10, 2012, 07:29:38 am »
Fair enough if you're telling them at the end of the season. It sounds reasonable to give them till the end of a season to sort their act out, you can obviously give that player notice that 'if you carry on like this, you won't be sticking round' also giving them another opportunity to come back.  What happens if someone who played in the team last year doesn't make it for the next year, where does he go from there?

He can try out for another team over summer, or he can play at a lower level.

There's plenty of footbsll available for these age groups, so the long and short of it is we can afford to be picky when selecting players.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: June 11, 2012, 08:51:07 pm »
I have a Coaching level one earned it in school at the age of 15 teaching children how to play football.

I want to go further after I've finished University, will look to work on coaching badges.

Offline Redallover11

• Just behind Red Al Lover Number Ten in the Red Al Lover Queue
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: June 12, 2012, 06:15:33 am »
My women lost 1-0 today against a very, very good team. We were dominating the second half, had as blatent a penalty as you're ever likely to see not given, then they went up the other end a minute or two later and scored from a free kick. Fuming.

Two games we've lost through set pieces now.

Not happy.

What age group are your girls?