Author Topic: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle  (Read 110039 times)

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Coaching Circle
« Reply #240 on: August 4, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »
Courses with letters, with the F license being the lowest and the USSF A License being the highest level license one can obtain. But there are all sorts of secondary licenses popping up, goalkeeper training, fitness training, coaching director, audit courses to maintain your A License accreditation, the USSF does appear to be squeezing the coaching teat in a fairly rough manner...

Sounds very similar to the structure for the English FA. I can't state how frustrated and stifled I feel at the moment with our coaching template.

Where about's exactly do you coach?

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #241 on: August 4, 2011, 10:13:30 pm »
G'day Col, how's it going mate?  You're not still out here on the Northern Beaches are you?

Your coaching looks like its going pretty solidly...

I've half was through my AFC C Licence at the moment - first year of coaching a senior team after the broken leg and 1st and Res are top of the league with 2 games left...
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: August 4, 2011, 10:14:47 pm »
Coaching Under 8's atm, fucking hassle. Always fighting with each other.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: August 4, 2011, 10:44:00 pm »
Coaching Under 8's atm, fucking hassle. Always fighting with each other.

Might sound silly mate but try a ball each for each child in a few sessions. It usually takes all their concentration. I usually try that when working with younger kids.

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: August 4, 2011, 10:48:59 pm »
Might sound silly mate but try a ball each for each child in a few sessions. It usually takes all their concentration. I usually try that when working with younger kids.

Always do use a ball each. It's when i split them into teams and have a game at the end, they start mistiming tackles and kicking off. Does my head in.
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: August 4, 2011, 11:00:21 pm »
Always do use a ball each. It's when i split them into teams and have a game at the end, they start mistiming tackles and kicking off. Does my head in.

Haha quality. Well best advice I can give is remain patient and I think it depends on your discipline procedure. Some people prefer to shout, however I prefer to work with a reward system. If their is a certain activity they would like to do then they will only get the chance if they behave in a certain manner.

Keep it up, let us know how you are getting on in the next couple of weeks.

One last tip, you probably do this but ask which footballers they like and ask of they think they go round fighting with their team mates.

Good luck! :)

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: August 5, 2011, 02:18:51 am »
G'day Col, how's it going mate?  You're not still out here on the Northern Beaches are you?

Your coaching looks like its going pretty solidly...

I've half was through my AFC C Licence at the moment - first year of coaching a senior team after the broken leg and 1st and Res are top of the league with 2 games left...

'Ello mate! Nah I left the sunny Manly shores when I couldn't get a visa!

Don't tell me you're coaching Seaforth after your comments last year about it taking up too much of your beer drinking time...??!

If so, it's looking good for a return to the Prems for you? Good times. How were your games against the Diggers this season? Got a few mates there.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Auspool

• Legacy Fan
  • We Came, We Saw We Never Walked Alone...
« Reply #247 on: August 5, 2011, 10:40:02 am »
'Ello mate! Nah I left the sunny Manly shores when I couldn't get a visa!

Don't tell me you're coaching Seaforth after your comments last year about it taking up too much of your beer drinking time...??!

If so, it's looking good for a return to the Prems for you? Good times. How were your games against the Diggers this season? Got a few mates there.

Yeah, we're having a shite winter here - 23 and sunny at the moment...

That's exactly where I'm coaching; now I can combine the 2 loves!!

If we win our last game, Narrabeen MUST not drop points in either of their last 2... All the pressure is on them! That's what I'm telling my Narra mates anyway ;)

3-1 up then conceded a penalty in the 98th (!!!!!) min of 101 to draw 1-1 - they're a decent team, but a way of challenging for anything... We lost a game to a team that hasn't won in 2 years - take that out of the season and we'd already of won the league!

Beginners luck I call it...

Where are you now?  Midge and Rich are finding the going tough I think - did win the cup tho...
Don't lie, cheat or steal.  The Government doesn't like the competition...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: August 5, 2011, 12:33:53 pm »
Yeah, we're having a shite winter here - 23 and sunny at the moment...

That's exactly where I'm coaching; now I can combine the 2 loves!!

If we win our last game, Narrabeen MUST not drop points in either of their last 2... All the pressure is on them! That's what I'm telling my Narra mates anyway ;)

3-1 up then conceded a penalty in the 98th (!!!!!) min of 101 to draw 1-1 - they're a decent team, but a way of challenging for anything... We lost a game to a team that hasn't won in 2 years - take that out of the season and we'd already of won the league!

Beginners luck I call it...

Where are you now?  Midge and Rich are finding the going tough I think - did win the cup tho...

Sounds good mate, you been running it all season?

Manly winning the cup is a good thing for them, but I think Mossy left them a squad pretty far off the pace in terms of players being competetive... too many were too old, too slow, and apparently getting paid far too much.

It doesn't help either when the best youngsters just get poached by Sydney or the Coast, as the majority of the 20s when I was over there didn't seem that good at all really. I've heard good things about Danny Sim, but I only saw him play once - for the firsts in one of Mossy's last games and he was decent without being in any way spectacular.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #249 on: August 5, 2011, 12:48:42 pm »
just an aside for all wanna be professional coaches

we have an irish guy in our kids club who is our director of coaching. he married an american so its makes it a lot easier for him to coach over here

his situation is quite interesting but it does show that it can be done

he gets 20K as our director of coaching which is basically a part time job. him and his wife have moved into one of the houses of the local schoool that boards some kids so the now have free housing. she has become a full time teacher at the school and he is part time, but is also the boys and girls soccer coach

so now he is coaching soccer really full time and many teams

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #250 on: August 5, 2011, 02:27:15 pm »
Sounds very similar to the structure for the English FA. I can't state how frustrated and stifled I feel at the moment with our coaching template.

Where about's exactly do you coach?

Atlanta, GA, a fair distance from the digs in Mobile, AL... ;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: August 5, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »
Atlanta, GA, a fair distance from the digs in Mobile, AL... ;D

A fair distance from me then, Liverpool, England ;)

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #252 on: August 5, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »
A fair distance from me then, Liverpool, England ;)

Just a bit wool, yes...  ;)

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2011, 06:11:30 pm »
So how are people's seasons going so far?

Our club season has started well, Hurricane Irene aside, and we should have a productive season, development-wise

The college team I'm involved with have won one and lost 2 so far, although one of the losses were against the #16 team in the country, who only beat us 2-1 following two screaming free kicks from their Brazlilian superstar. Bloody Brazilians!!

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2011, 06:29:54 pm »
So how are people's seasons going so far?

Our club season has started well, Hurricane Irene aside, and we should have a productive season, development-wise

The college team I'm involved with have won one and lost 2 so far, although one of the losses were against the #16 team in the country, who only beat us 2-1 following two screaming free kicks from their Brazlilian superstar. Bloody Brazilians!!

Was worried about you and the hurricane...  :wave

As a staff coach, I cover for the Academy Director and DOC in case of conflict or better things to do at 7:00 on a Saturday evening. Covered four matches so far, three in the Atlanta Cup and one Athena A match. U-16s won 2-0 and 6-0, U-17s won 6-0 and 7-0. 21 goals scored, none conceded.

So I'm thinking a director's job is going to be part of my close-season wage packet protocols...  ;)

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2011, 06:43:09 pm »
Was worried about you and the hurricane...  :wave

As a staff coach, I cover for the Academy Director and DOC in case of conflict or better things to do at 7:00 on a Saturday evening. Covered four matches so far, three in the Atlanta Cup and one Athena A match. U-16s won 2-0 and 6-0, U-17s won 6-0 and 7-0. 21 goals scored, none conceded.

So I'm thinking a director's job is going to be part of my close-season wage packet protocols...  ;)

The numbers look good, so long as you're not just punting it to the quick kid up front!! ;)

State Cup wins are always a nice feeling - hopefully we'll get a couple of teams into the quarters or semis.

Is yours a premier club, Bill?

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2011, 06:53:42 pm »
Does anyone know how to go into Coaching, as a profession.

I've always considered it awesome and myself knowing a few tactics and how to judge players but with no experience in the field...

Offline LinvoyPrimus

• Main Stander
  • Linvoy Primus the Third to be honest
« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2011, 07:48:44 pm »
Thanks for ignoring my PM Col =(

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2011, 09:03:08 pm »
Does anyone know how to go into Coaching, as a profession.

I've always considered it awesome and myself knowing a few tactics and how to judge players but with no experience in the field...

Consider completing Sports Courses at College to Uni and also try to aim to obtain national governing body qualifications. Also apply to local football clubs for voluntary work.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #259 on: September 15, 2011, 03:17:15 am »
The numbers look good, so long as you're not just punting it to the quick kid up front!! ;)

State Cup wins are always a nice feeling - hopefully we'll get a couple of teams into the quarters or semis.

Is yours a premier club, Bill?

Oi, we keep it, thanks very much. We do play a high line and press, though, wonder where I might have picked that up from... ;)

And as for Premier, we like to think so. Athena A is  the top flight in Ga, and we have teams in every age group. Applied for ECNL but were rejected the first year, hoping to get in next year...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2011, 03:44:48 am »

Haha sorry - not ignoring you but it sometimes takes a few days to get back to PMs like yours... I get a few like them and it's rarely a two-line answer as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Oi, we keep it, thanks very much. We do play a high line and press, though, wonder where I might have picked that up from... ;)

And as for Premier, we like to think so. Athena A is  the top flight in Ga, and we have teams in every age group. Applied for ECNL but were rejected the first year, hoping to get in next year...

Good luck with that one - sounds like a solid project you've got there. We've got a couple of teams in the regional CT A division but it's just bog standard travel to be honest - most of our better players also play in the recognised premier leagues.

As an aside, our College team won 3-1 tonight, making us 2-2 for the year and 1-2 in our Conference. Onwards and upwards, we've got a nice little trip up to Boston to look forward to on Sunday.

(Also, I've just sent some candidly-disguised begging letters to the NSCAA and USSF to see if either of them would like to take a considerable amount of money from me anytime soon in exchange for a week in FL in the new year ;) )

Offline andymanlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28:31 am »
Does anyone know of a course where you can do all your coaching badges including UEFA? Really want to get cracking with this but don't know if I have to do each level singally or if you can do them together?
"The club was great, the people were great and the people from Liverpool - the text messages, the phone calls, the emails, all the tweets I had on my Twitter account - it's unbelievable how much respect they showed me and it's also a bit emotional" - Dirk Kuyt

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2011, 12:33:58 pm »
Does anyone know of a course where you can do all your coaching badges including UEFA? Really want to get cracking with this but don't know if I have to do each level singally or if you can do them together?

You can start at Level 2 mate but then after that you need the previous qualification to obtain the next one. However I would suggest starting at Level 1 and gaining as much experience as possible.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2011, 12:36:49 pm »

Are the parents around ? Somtimes you get these wannabee-centre backs with a limited knowledge of the game who is urging their kids on like its the champions league final..

I try to focus on how the game should be played; encourage the passing of the ball and the movement. I give credit to the defenders when they are moving/positioning and getting involved, but not when they barging in and throwing in tackles. I also go for a "no tackling from behind", but allow them to use their shoulders and get involved..

The kids keeps the score themselves, but I never go out with "2-1 to the red team, 5 minutes to go"..

The kids are result orientated and the majority of them do what it takes to win.. I like to win myself ;-) but trying to keep it under control and focus on the game/development of the player and that the wins (either in training or matches) comes as a result of them developing; and not "win at all cost - lump it"..

I've got 10 year olds now, and as a group they have matured quite a lot in two years. Fighting is 99,9 % gone and they both can give out and receive tackles and challenges without too much fuzz.
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2011, 12:49:58 pm »
Out of interest - how often do 9-11 years old have organised training sessions and is it 5-7-11 a-side etc ?

I am running a group of 10-year olds in norway and the majority of the teams probably do 1-2 trainings and 1 match during the week and play the occassional tournament at the weekends (3 matches at 15-20 minutes)

For the matches we're playing 6-10 year olds at 4+goalie at 1/4 of the full pitch, while the 10+ is doing 6+1 at 1/2 pitch
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2011, 01:55:15 pm »

As an aside, our College team won 3-1 tonight, making us 2-2 for the year and 1-2 in our Conference. Onwards and upwards, we've got a nice little trip up to Boston to look forward to on Sunday.

(Also, I've just sent some candidly-disguised begging letters to the NSCAA and USSF to see if either of them would like to take a considerable amount of money from me anytime soon in exchange for a week in FL in the new year ;) )

I disremember, you at one of the NESCAC schools?

And Florida in the winter is great for coaching schools. I'll be down there end of December for Orange Classic and Disney Showcase...

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2011, 04:37:07 pm »
Good post that Johnny.

I've started counting various skills when in a game. I'd tally up the player that has made the most passes, performed the correct timing of dribbles, decision on when to shoot and an observation of leaderships skills (captain). After all of this sit the players down and discuss with them who has completed the most passes which is called the Xavi award, dribbled at the correct time is Messi award, Shooting at the correct time is the Ronaldo award and the Leadership skill, the Gerrard award.

Different ways work with different coaches.

Offline JayH93

• Legacy Fan
  • ANLACKY
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2011, 05:19:03 pm »
I'm 17, got my Level 1 just before I turned 16 and I have been coaching in an independent company for just over 2 years, working with kids between the ages of 4-8, mixed ability. I absolutely love it. Think the most important thing to coaching is having a connection with the kids. I've worked with a fella a few times who bangs on that he's going in for his Level 3 and UEFA whatever, and when he's taken sessions he hasn't got his point across to the kids at all. He did a passing/moving/spatial awareness session a couple of months ago and it just didn't work at all. 2 weeks ago I did the exact same session but improvised some progressions in of my own and it worked well, got excellent feedback as well from the kids, with the vast majority of them understood the importance of finding space and creating gaps for the teammates.

One thing I'm struggling with, however, is finding variety in my sessions. Most of the drills I know are dribbling, shooting, passing and heading. I could do with some other plans that are quite simple, but will be challenging for a few of the more advanced players.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2011, 05:31:16 pm »
Reading all this makes me very excited for my last year of college and to go uni to do a coaching course hopefully. I have 2 questions I hope people here could answer for me.

1) If any of you did aim to be a coach and go uni for this what did you study? I am looking at Sports Coaching degrees and there is one at Liverpool Uni so I am thinking about doing that but would like an opinion from some more experienced coaches?

2) I want to (need to) do my FA Coaching badges, do I have so start of at level 1? I have heard level 1 is really easy and all you have to do is basically turn up and do it. Can you start at level 2 or do you need a level 1 badge to do that? I am thinking about just starting at level 1 anyway to get some knowledge in the way its done anyway but again opinions would be nice.

If anyone takes time to answer, more so the first one as its more important, thanks ;)
Justice for the 97

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #269 on: September 15, 2011, 07:27:47 pm »
To be honest, I've always aspired to be a doctor but had 'coaching' as a back-up plan. Really confused, and have wondered if it is possible to do both ?

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: September 15, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »
Jay I'd advised sticking to all the technical aspects at the moment; running with the ball, turning, long passing, short passing, shooting, dribbling, ball control. However if you are comfortable with improving movement then stick with it. Also try anything, not every session will change football so learn from each one, how can it improve. Keep it up!

Serb Red I've posted above about starting at Level 1. I completed a Sport Development degree whilst completing my coaching badges on the side and started voluntary for a local football team, well they are my local one :p

Danyals you should considering coaching new doctors then ;) Only kidding, I'd stick with medicine if I was you and you could do some coaching in free time but get your badges first.

Offline JayH93

• Legacy Fan
  • ANLACKY
« Reply #271 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:11 pm »
Jay I'd advised sticking to all the technical aspects at the moment; running with the ball, turning, long passing, short passing, shooting, dribbling, ball control. However if you are comfortable with improving movement then stick with it. Also try anything, not every session will change football so learn from each one, how can it improve. Keep it up!

Yeahh nice one mate. Don't normally do a movement session or anything but just wanted to see if the kids would react better to the way I coached, basically just tryna get one over this fella hahaha. Thanks for the advice though. :thumbup

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: September 15, 2011, 10:03:10 pm »
Match day today. 4-3 score in the end, but nearly lost my temper..

"referee" that didn't really pay attention and didn't seemed to care. As a result - opposition threw in elbows and studs up etc.. My lads managed to stay relatively calm but started to retaliate slightly..

Annoying when you get referees that "ahh - they're only kids". Have to get rid of the nastiness straight away and don't let that develop..

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: September 15, 2011, 10:59:59 pm »
Yeahh nice one mate. Don't normally do a movement session or anything but just wanted to see if the kids would react better to the way I coached, basically just tryna get one over this fella hahaha. Thanks for the advice though. :thumbup

That's good that Jay sounds like you are doing good. The more experience you get the more sessions you will learn and adapt.

It's interesting half of the coaching skill is all about communication, if the kids respond and you show you are enthusiastic then they will run through brick Walls for you!

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 20, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »
A post from a blog I'd forgotten about, but should be doing more with over the next few weeks:

Why Superman Will Win The World Cup

Ask a professional football coach who Ben 10 is, and unless they have young children or grandchildren, they probably won’t know. Similarly with Lightning McQueen, Woody, Pingu or Rastamouse – yet these characters are essential in the development of the next generation of footballing superstars. Football is a global game, a global business, and as such the focus naturally sways towards the elite end of the playing spectrum.

Everybody knows Lionel Messi. Everybody knows Steven Gerrard, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Wayne Rooney. The absolute elite are oft considered to have been born with a natural gift, supreme co-ordination, and the steely determination needed to push on to the levels they’re capable of. Most football fans have a working knowledge of the team they support, rival teams, other teams in the same league, and various other well-known clubs from around the World.

But how many people know what happens in their clubs Academy or Centre of Excellence? What about those of teams further down football’s pyramid, where wages are less and players often have to take up second jobs to make ends meet? What about the semi-professional and amateur clubs? What about the group of friends who meet up on a Thursday night to have a kick around? What do we know about them?

The truth of the matter is, we don’t know a lot. There are players at all levels of the game who are capable of performing at a higher level, but who haven’t been subjected to the right environment. Scouts miss players, clubs release players, players don’t want to dedicate all their spare time to football. It’s inevitable that players will drop out of the game, so logical thinking suggests that to keep more quality players playing,we need to create more quality players to begin with.

The whole idea of quality within football is subjective – a player who seems to excel in one position may be limited in other areas, and a player may perform well at a particular club or level of the game but struggle elsewhere. In an ideal world, players would all be technically sound with both feet and be able to play well in numerous positions. Even at the highest level of football, that is not currently the case. Too much emphasis is placed on players – even within younger age groups – winning games. This ‘win at all costs’ approach is not conducive to producing technically sound footballers – even if we ignore the fact that placing pressure on players will rarely get the desired results.

If we as coaches want to help develop technically excellent footballers, then we have to start at the very bottom. We have work with the youngest players, and work repeatedly on the fundamentals.

This, however, is not necessarily a job for Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger or Marcelo Lippi.

Naturally, when the target age groups change, so do priorities. When working with the next-but-one generation of potential players, sometimes the last thing a coach needs to be, is a coach. What the coach actually needs to be is a storyteller, a magician, an entertainer. People learn best when interested in the topic at hand, and this is never more evident than when working with children. A coach may set up games and drills; a great coach will create an environment for the players to explore.

A coach may ask young players to dribble the ball through the cones, but that is not enough. A child will be bored before they’ve started – and naturally, the younger the child, the shorter the attention span.

The days of “someone’s dad” getting players to line up and shoot at goal one by one need to end. Similarly, young players cannot be put under pressure during games – with the younger age groups, scores should not even be kept. Young footballers need to be taught the basics often, yet indirectly. The term ‘learning’ bears too close a relationship to the idea of school, and as a result a coach taking this approach will often be fighting a losing battle – who wants to learn, when the alternative is to play?

The only way to develop a young player is to captivate, and take them as far away from the real-life world as possible. Which is more fun to a five-year-old – dribbling through cones and shooting at a goal, or flying through galaxies and shooting at spaceships? Children don’t understand ‘Landon Donovan’, ‘FC Twente’ or ‘Maradona turn’ – their currency lies elsewhere.

Ask them to do toe-taps and they’ll be off chasing insects or eating grass, but tell them to charge their Superhero Superpowers by tapping their Superball with their feet, and the problem will be getting them to stop.

Kids understand cartoons and stories, Mickey Mouse and dinosaurs – and much like some of the dinosaurs coaching football today, we as coaches all need to evolve. Far too much emphasis is placed on winning. Far too much emphasis is placed on success in the short-term. For this current generation of children to develop as footballers, we as coaches need to alter our approach and consider the holistic development of the player and child before competition even becomes a part of it.

In fifteen years time, the World Cup will not be won by a group of players who can dribble, shoot, and tackle – it will be won by a team of Superheros who can fly, catch villains, shoot down spaceships, and ultimately save the world. That is why Superman will win the World Cup.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »
Decent post that Col.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 20, 2011, 04:28:57 pm »

Have tried replying to your PM but getting a message you can't receive them. Either alter your settings in Profile Options, or give me an email address I can reach you on. Cheers.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #277 on: September 20, 2011, 04:49:28 pm »

That is why Superman will win the World Cup.

Sexist. What about Wonder Woman?  ;)

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 20, 2011, 06:19:07 pm »
Sexist. What about Wonder Woman?  ;)

Pfft. Women play soccer?

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #279 on: September 20, 2011, 08:48:42 pm »
Pfft. Women play soccer?

Well, girls... and ladies. And it's not really playing, more like playing at... :wave