Author Topic: Champions League Quarter Finals 2nd Leg - Tuesday & Wednesday  (Read 323039 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: Champions League Quarter Finals 2nd Leg - Tuesday & Wednesday
« Reply #5960 on: April 8, 2010, 11:11:29 am »
One thing which shouldn't go unmentioned was the post-match interview.
And I'm not talking about the drunken racist part.

The ITV interview was the most inept, sycophantic, embarrassing interview ever. Gabriel Clark was the wankstain in question I think.

First question, obviously should be a straightforward '3-0 up, now you're out - what went wrong?'
But, no, the 1st question was 'Rafael's red card was obviously the turning point - what did you think?'
Erm, no it wasn't. The 1st Bayern goal was the turning point. It gave them hope where there was none previously.
The second turning point was allowing the clearly unfit Rooney to continue.
The question allows a rant at the ref and Bayern over a very obvious red card.

Which leads to the 2nd ITV question. OK, the 1st was a softball, now you ask the big question on Rooney, i.e. why did you play him, and why leave him on when hobbling.
But no, 2nd question: 'They clearly targetted Rooney's ankle, didn't they?'
Now, what kind of question is that? (a) It allows another drunken racist rant at the beastly huns and (b) it ignores the elephant in the room, that Rooney was nowhere near fit enough to last an hour.
The 3rd, follow up should have been a question on why the £30m (!)Berbatov wasn't trusted to start, and then why he wasn't brought on for Rooney, which left them without a front man, allowing Bayern the initiative. Which they duly took.

Do you think that even for a nanosecond that Rafa or even Wenger or Ancelotti would have been asked such puffball questions after being knocked out?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline muyuu

• Google Groomer. reddit remain campaigner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Rafa - fact
« Reply #5961 on: April 8, 2010, 11:11:34 am »
Hats off to those "typical Germans" they proved me wrong, and for the first time in 3 years I can actually sit and really enjoy the closing stages of the CL.

That's German efficiency for you. Do fuck all for 40 minutes and still get through.
"Chelsea have confirmed that their interim fans will leave the club when Roman Abramovich does"
-sinnermichael

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=303961.msg11432382#msg11432382

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5962 on: April 8, 2010, 11:15:10 am »
gabriel clark is a prize c*nt, and a poor excuse for a journalist. more interested in getting a handshake off ferguson, who the daft twat probably thinks likes him, than doing his job

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5963 on: April 8, 2010, 11:21:02 am »
TYPICAL GERMANS!!

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #5964 on: April 8, 2010, 11:23:40 am »
TYPICAL GERMANS!!

Well the two main culprits there arent English so English players clearly respect the ref and never EVER try and get another player sent off...
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5965 on: April 8, 2010, 11:29:17 am »

The ITV interview was the most inept, sycophantic, embarrassing interview ever. Gabriel Clark was the wankstain in question I think.

First question, obviously should be a straightforward '3-0 up, now you're out - what went wrong?'
But, no, the 1st question was 'Rafael's red card was obviously the turning point - what did you think?'
Erm, no it wasn't. The 1st Bayern goal was the turning point. It gave them hope where there was none previously.

Which leads to the 2nd ITV question. OK, the 1st was a softball, now you ask the big question on Rooney, i.e. why did you play him, and why leave him on when hobbling.
Now, what kind of question is that? (a) It allows another drunken racist rant at the beastly huns and (b) it ignores the elephant in the room, that Rooney was nowhere near fit enough to last an hour.
The 3rd, follow up should have been a question on why the £30m (!)Berbatov wasn't trusted to start, and then why he wasn't brought on for Rooney, which left them without a front man, allowing Bayern the initiative. Which they duly took.

Do you think that even for a nanosecond that Rafa or even Wenger or Ancelotti would have been asked such puffball questions after being knocked out?

Absolutely - while Arsenal and Manchester United were in it, like last year in the closing stages I had no interest in the competition whatsoever. I didn't see a single goal after we were knocked out. So it'll be nice to be able to enjoy European football without the wankstain media annoying me.

I'll watch it to the final this year.

Ace :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #5966 on: April 8, 2010, 11:33:23 am »
Didnt DCI gene Hunt once say...

"im not a religious man, but im sure it says somewhere in the bible, thou shalt not suck off a rent boy"??

He did :)
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5967 on: April 8, 2010, 11:34:13 am »

couldn't agree more

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #5968 on: April 8, 2010, 11:46:57 am »
To be fair, I can't remember us surrounding the referee in recent times - it's funny how that Keane/Stam image is always brought up.... it was a decade ago. You'll get the odd moan and f-word from Rooney but nothing like the Middlesbrough penalty fiasco. SAF has mentioned it numerous times and said it was out of order.

-----

"The haranguing of referees is ridiculous, we know that," he said. "We are talking about introducing this into the grass-roots level, respect for the referee. It is absolutely correct.

"We had a pivotal moment a few years ago when my players surrounded Andy D'Urso," said Ferguson.

"I was off my head with them, I thought it was ridiculous. It never happened again," he said.

"We tell them to shake the hand of the referee after the game, when it is finished. It is sometimes difficult but you have to do it, in the same way as when you lose a game and you invite the opposing manager in for a drink after the game.

"I saw the other night one of my players changed his jersey with one of the Bolton players who had committed 10 fouls against him.I said that was good because the match was over, all forgotten, we move on with life. I think that's what we have to do."

----

We're out and deservedly so having been second best for three-quarters of the tie - but the whole 'United surround the ref' stuff is wide of the mark.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5969 on: April 8, 2010, 11:51:27 am »

"We tell them to shake the hand of the referee after the game, when it is finished. It is sometimes difficult but you have to do it, in the same way as when you lose a game and you invite the opposing manager in for a drink after the game.

good to see the captain refusing to shake the hand of the ref last night eh? i wonder if van gaal enjoyed his drink after the match?

the man is hypocrisy personified

Offline Rhino

• Last of the great romantics. Tess of the Googlevilles. Randy internet flirt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96 RIP
« Reply #5970 on: April 8, 2010, 11:52:24 am »
only 150 pages ;D

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5971 on: April 8, 2010, 11:53:52 am »
To be fair, I can't remember us surrounding the referee in recent times

Seems like they leave it to Mr. Ferguson to do it these days. ;)

You'll get the odd moan and f-word from Rooney...
about every decision that goes against his team

Offline StuH

• Legacy Fan
  • Dalglish's marching army!
« Reply #5972 on: April 8, 2010, 11:55:16 am »
We're out and deservedly so having been second best for three-quarters of the tie - but the whole 'United surround the ref' stuff is wide of the mark.

I admire your willingness to debate this but while its not done in those numbers anymore (i.e. 6 players at a time) the number of times I see Rooney, Ferdinand, Fletcher etc (and to a lesser extent due to playing less frequently Neville, Scholes, Giggs) having a go at the ref is ridiculous.  And then there were the tantrums of Ronaldo when he didn't get his way, smacking the floor etc.  Nani seems like he wants that role now and to an extent, Valencia.
He's a manipulative bastard. Another deliberate attempt to put pressure on people in the game, which he thinks he'll get away with because of his "standing" in the game and his fucking knighthood.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5973 on: April 8, 2010, 11:57:50 am »
To be fair, I can't remember us surrounding the referee in recent times - it's funny how that Keane/Stam image is always brought up.... it was a decade ago. You'll get the odd moan and f-word from Rooney but nothing like the Middlesbrough penalty fiasco. SAF has mentioned it numerous times and said it was out of order.

-----

"The haranguing of referees is ridiculous, we know that," he said. "We are talking about introducing this into the grass-roots level, respect for the referee. It is absolutely correct.

"We had a pivotal moment a few years ago when my players surrounded Andy D'Urso," said Ferguson.

"I was off my head with them, I thought it was ridiculous. It never happened again," he said.

"I saw the other night one of my players changed his jersey with one of the Bolton players who had committed 10 fouls against him.I said that was good because the match was over, all forgotten, we move on with life. I think that's what we have to do."

----

Oh. My. Word. Remember Ferguson's reaction after the Everton 'Penalty' incident?

And what about the reaction of your players even in the Chelsea match and the 'handball' - so he wasn't surrounded then?

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5974 on: April 8, 2010, 11:58:34 am »

You only need to point towards your siggy.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5975 on: April 8, 2010, 12:01:50 pm »
Rossi:

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #5976 on: April 8, 2010, 12:01:51 pm »
Absolutely - while Arsenal and Manchester United were in it, like last year in the closing stages I had no interest in the competition whatsoever. I didn't see a single goal after we were knocked out. So it'll be nice to be able to enjoy European football without the wankstain media annoying me.

I'll watch it to the final this year.

Ace :)
The final's on the night of my 30th Birthday mate. I had a LOT riding on that match last night! Wouldn't have been able to enjoy myself. Now I can enjoy EVERY remaining match of the thing AND my big night!

Aaaahhhhhhh...........,

Offline Livid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5977 on: April 8, 2010, 12:01:59 pm »
I admire your willingness to debate this but while its not done in those numbers anymore (i.e. 6 players at a time) the number of times I see Rooney, Ferdinand, Fletcher etc (and to a lesser extent due to playing less frequently Neville, Scholes, Giggs) having a go at the ref is ridiculous.  And then there were the tantrums of Ronaldo when he didn't get his way, smacking the floor etc.  Nani seems like he wants that role now and to an extent, Valencia.

The vast majority of footballers are fucking moaners, tbf.
Pick any team you want and there are some stand out ones:

Arsenal: Fabregas, Gallas, RVP, Bendtner.
Liverpool: Carragher, Torres, Mascherano, Gerrard.
Chelsea: Pretty much the whole squad.
Barcelona: Alves, Puyol, Pique, Ibrahimovic.
Real Madrid: Ronaldo, Ramos, VD Vaart, Pepe.

Football won't ever be like rugby.
If it bothers you that much that your wife couldn't join the 'Coloured Society', I suggest you divorce your wife and marry a black woman.  Problem solved.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #5978 on: April 8, 2010, 12:06:03 pm »
"We are talking about introducing this into the grass-roots level, respect for the referee. It is absolutely correct.

Atleast you lot have a good grasp of irony.

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #5979 on: April 8, 2010, 12:06:27 pm »
Oh. My. Word. Remember Ferguson's reaction after the Everton 'Penalty' incident?

And what about the reaction of your players even in the Chelsea match and the 'handball' - so he wasn't surrounded then?

He went ballistic at Wembley due to a blatant penalty not given. I have no problem with that. My point was that we don't surround refs anymore since SAF made it clear that the infamous D'Urso incident was out of order. I don't recall the Chelsea pen - did you mean the Carrick handball back in 2007 at the Bridge? Anyway, my whole point was that surrounding the ref is not something we do - unlike some....
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_04/ManUtdChelseaRef_468x369.jpg   http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/may2009/3/9/image-11-for-chelsea-1-1-barcelona-barcelona-through-on-away-goals-gallery-773172938.jpg

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #5980 on: April 8, 2010, 12:14:39 pm »
Rossi:

[img]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/11/28/1259439944830/United-players-complain-a-010.jpg[img]

Mate there's always pictorial evidence on the contrary - there'll be a picture like that for every team in the country - but it has been curbed and is a very, very rare instance these days.

A quick ten second search resulted in this appearing for Liverpool  - http://i42.tinypic.com/1zwl08g.jpg -  but like United I see you lot as being one of the better sides in the league for ref respect on the pitch, whereas Chelsea are without doubt the worst.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #5981 on: April 8, 2010, 12:15:16 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7309290.stm

"The haranguing of referees is ridiculous, we know that," he said

« Last Edit: April 8, 2010, 12:17:51 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #5982 on: April 8, 2010, 12:25:51 pm »
I see nothing has really been mentioned by the media about Ferguson's blurt about the German remark.  Overshadowed about his decision to play Rooney and the fact he is now injured,what a  great managerial decision.

Had it been Rafa he would have been absolutely hung, drawn and quartered big time firstly for playing one of the clubs just coming back from injury influential player's. Secondly for his mumbled outburst about German's, then again Rafa has more class than to stoop so low as he did last night.
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5983 on: April 8, 2010, 12:26:46 pm »
Nesbitt, Holmes, Hucknall...someone give me 5 more famous Manc fans.

The FA.
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline RossoBianchi

• Manc Forum Slut
  • Legacy Fan
  • Peace
« Reply #5984 on: April 8, 2010, 12:28:05 pm »
Five of those images are for the same incident - the shocking penalty decision in the FA Cup semi last year. But anyway mate, there's nothing new there, he's a born winner who simply hates losing and occasionally crosses the line. Wouldn't have him any other way personally, but it's understandable why he's pure Marmite.

Offline Walter Sobchak

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Calmer than you are
« Reply #5985 on: April 8, 2010, 12:37:57 pm »

-----

----

:lmao
dont stop there lad, tell us another one

intimidating the ref is a massive part of your managers game plan. what other manager gets in the refs face at half time or full time or has running battles with the fourth official during the course of the game to the extent that your manager does? and whatsmore your players follow his example in every match you play. i dont see any other team as a whole giving refs as much stick for decision as utd. rooney, ferdinand, fletcher, scholes, neville all spend large parts of games sticking their fingers in refs faces or giving them stick.   

everybody, literally everybody else in the league knows this to be fact. i suppose you think the whole 'fergie time' is a myth aswell. take off the blinkers

...and thats not me being bitter, personally im more annoyed at the refs and FA for letting yous get away with it.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5986 on: April 8, 2010, 12:39:19 pm »
Come off it – if the boot was on the other foot and van Bommel had pulled back Nani, you don’t think Fletcher and others would have been haranguing the ref at all?

I missed the 1st half last night and only watched the 2nd (turned out nice again!) but my immediate reaction after Rafael’s foul was that was a clear yellow card – a cynical pull to break up an attack. There’s no argument for me, and who knows that the ref wasn’t going to book him anyway before those typical Germans got involved.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #5987 on: April 8, 2010, 12:41:12 pm »
Mate there's always pictorial evidence on the contrary - there'll be a picture like that for every team in the country - but it has been curbed and is a very, very rare instance these days.

A quick ten second search resulted in this appearing for Liverpool  - http://i42.tinypic.com/1zwl08g.jpg -  but like United I see you lot as being one of the better sides in the league for ref respect on the pitch, whereas Chelsea are without doubt the worst.

I would definitely agree that Chelsea are far worse when it comes to surrounding referees and I know that we can be guilty of it sometimes. It really pisses me off when our players do it and soemtimes I wish Gerrard would give the likes of Torres and Mascherano a slap when they start mouthing off.

I doubt it'll change in the future. The sport is full of players who have gotten everything they ever wanted since a very young age so of course they'll kick off when some old guy with a whistle rules against them.

Offline Red Squiggle

• Legacy Fan
  • Raaaaaaaafaaaaaaa in Iiiiiiiiistanbuuuuuuuuul
    • Venus in Faux Official Webpage
« Reply #5988 on: April 8, 2010, 12:44:57 pm »
Oh. My. Word. Just seen the Ferguson interview to the journalists. He was trying to defend Rafael's inclusion and subsequent sending off as he is "a young boy" and showing a "bit of naievity". Surely, if you take a MASSIVE gamble by playing such an inexperienced player against any sort of decent team they will exploit that. Or are teams supposed to slap him on the backside, ruffle his ridiculous fucking hair and go "aaah, have at you you wee scamp, just don't do it again!" in a competitive football match???

He was lucky not to get sent off for pulling down Pederson at 1-1 against Blackburn a year ago, but this time got his cummupance. I mean, I can't believe it's a defence that just because he's a young player he should be let off. He's the same age as Insua is he not? If he'd done similar, we'd have Benitez being slaughtered for playing someone "not good enough" or "inexperienced" and probably have Jamie Redknapp "remembering" John Arne Riise or Fabio Aurelio playing for most of the season there. The dim witted twat.

So, so, glad that they're out, another year passes and the clock is now ticking ever faster for the Govan tramp if he wants to equal Sir Bob's record.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5989 on: April 8, 2010, 12:46:51 pm »
Sorry if this has already been posted but too funny...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/football-fans-in-germany%11man-utd-hate-conundrum-201004082626/

FOOTBALL FANS IN GERMANY-MAN UTD HATE CONUNDRUM       
08-04-10
FOOTBALL fans across Britain are still trying to pin down exactly who they hated most in last night's Champion's League quarter-final.

Was Hitler worse than Gary Neville?
Bayern Munich beat Manchester United on away goals after a bad-tempered game that saw the first United player sent off at Old Trafford since Lou Macari shot the referee in the neck with a crossbow in 1978.

A furious Mr. Ferguson said: "It is so typical of the Germans to insist that the rules of the game are applied in exactly the right way.

"Every time we kicked the ball out, the referee gave them a throw-in or a corner and then he awarded them two goals based on the absurd argument that the ball had travelled over the line. This is Alice in Wonderland stuff."

Meanwhile neutral fans are facing an intense moral dilemma given that Germany plunged the globe into worldwide conflict before building a huge and resilient economy, whereas Manchester has emitted both Terry Christian and the Prius-driving Gary Neville.

Football analyst Martin Bishop said: "It's a bit like Jude Law becoming a suicide bomber and blowing up your local pub.

"While having that beautiful little head sprinkled over a 300 yard radius is clearly a good thing, it was quite a nice boozer."

Experts said the ethical dilemma will be further intensified in the semi finals when the team from the cradle of Nazism take on some French people.

Bishop added: "I suspect Uefa will be asked to institute a temporary rule change so they can both lose. And possibly get beaten with some nice, big sticks into the bargain."

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #5990 on: April 8, 2010, 12:51:36 pm »
Fuckin hell its Thora Hird

a slanket would look good on him hahaha
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #5991 on: April 8, 2010, 12:56:34 pm »

:D

Superbly awful celebration. I could watch it all day long ;D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #5992 on: April 8, 2010, 01:00:48 pm »
Five of those images are for the same incident - the shocking penalty decision in the FA Cup semi last year. But anyway mate, there's nothing new there, he's a born winner who simply hates losing and occasionally crosses the line. Wouldn't have him any other way personally, but it's understandable why he's pure Marmite.

Pure Marmite was probably the state of his keks and running down the inside of his legs on the hard shoulder of the M602

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5993 on: April 8, 2010, 01:00:53 pm »
Superbly awful celebration. I could watch it all day long ;D

The hand to ear was very much like Gerrard's when he scored against Everton.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5994 on: April 8, 2010, 01:11:50 pm »
UNITED YOUNGSTERS BEATEN BY BAYERN

You can't make this stuff up, it's Mr Alex Ferguson's Fledglings once again...that's what the problem was.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/glenn-moore-uniteds-young-blades-blunted-by-immaturity-1938819.html

Glenn Moore: United's Young blades blunted by immaturity

Thursday, 8 April 2010

How do you reinvigorate a team which lacked energy? Add youth. That was Mr. Ferguson's response to Manchester United's leaden performances in Munich and at home to Chelsea on Saturday. The introduction of two men young enough to be his grandchildren, Darron Gibson and Rafael, respectively aged 22 and 19, for Paul Scholes and Gary Neville (both 35), lowered the average age of this United team by nearly three full years and injected it with vim and vitality.

There is always a place for experience, but football is increasingly a young man's game. Pace and intensity are the new watchwords. Players are fitter than ever before, pitches are more conducive to speed, and subtle changes in style and the laws mean the ball is in play more, leaving fewer opportunities for pensioners to catch their breath. The previous night, in Barcelona, Lionel Messi had made Mikaël Silvestre, who, as a 32-year-old defender, ought to be taking his first poignant steps down the far side of the hill, look to be well over it.

The difference the young men made to United's team was immediate. Two minutes in Rafael drove forward to supply Wayne Rooney (24) whose flick played in Gibson, breaking forcefully beyond the Bayern midfield in support. The Irishman added another fine goal to his burgeoning collection of long-range strikes. The goal gave both players, and the team, a confidence lift and they proceeded to be influential figures in the opening half. Gibson and Darren Fletcher (26) gave United drive and energy in midfield, limiting Bayern's ability to retain possession and build attacks. Meanwhile, Franck Ribéry, so influential in the first leg, was finding it impossible to escape the attentions of Rafael who, unlike Neville, was happy to get tight knowing he could match the Frenchman in a foot race. With Valencia and Nani, aged 24 and 23 respectively, twice combining for goals United looked home and hosed.
But the problem with youth is immaturity. Rafael's first booking was foolish, the teenager reacting petulantly to Mark van Bommel's unpunished challenge. His second was just as foolish. In Europe referees are quick to penalise players who pull back opponents (outside the penalty area, that is). Tugging Ribéry as he broke forward, in full view of the referee, could have only one consequence. Rafael will learn from the experience, but that was of little consolation last night, especially after Arjen Robben drove what proved the winner inside the post Rafael would have been guarding.

After that strike Ferguson turned to experience and summoned Ryan Giggs. Everyone was tired now, so maybe the veteran, in his 21st season as a United player, could turn the night back their way. Giggs almost slipped Dimitar Berbatov through with a few minutes remaining, but it was not to be. The clock was not just ticking down on the careers of United's long-servers, but on the team's Champions League campaign.
[/i]

VDS - 39
Rafael - 19
Ferdinand - 31
Vidic - 28
Evra - 28
Fletcher - 26
Carrick - 28
Valencia - 24
Gibson - 22
Nani - 23
Rooney - 24

Subs
O Shea - 28
Berbatov - 29
Giggs - 36

Average age 27.5 years

Dear Christ, how can he send such a young team out to die on the fields of Trafford?  Such young lives lost, they never stood a chance...   :'(   :'(     :'(     :-\    :(   

Compare that with the evil, typically elder Germans...

Butt - 35
Demichelis - 29
Lahm - 26
Van Buyten - 32
Ribery - 27
Robben - 26
Van Bommel - 32
Schweinsteiger - 25
Badstuber - 21
Olic - 30
Muller - 20

Subs
Altintop - 27
Pranjic - 28
Gomez - 24

Average age 27.2 years

Oh wait...    there must be some mistake    :lmao:lmao:lmao

Offline Kwaideng

• Hamshank Redemption
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5995 on: April 8, 2010, 01:17:23 pm »

And the question he asked Robben  about the goal.  It's all on a par with MoTD..with it's  cartoon heads and Cbeebies type delivery. Anyone who has ever played football to a decent level  would cringe at that question.  "So Arjen..that goal..do you practice that on the training pitch?"  Robben looked at him and immediately thought (as a lot of pro's do)  oh dear this guy is a fuckin cabbage...sits watching the game and knows absolutely fuck all about football......you know  er ..the ball and that .

It was technique .... something the lad has been developing since he was probably 7 years old. That's why he is a professional.
The clique is just a click away.
And they are being watched too, but don't know it.

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
« Reply #5996 on: April 8, 2010, 01:19:13 pm »
Robben is such a beast.

Maybe NOW he will get recognition as being the closest to Ronaldo and Messi, which he clearly is
'Nights like the semi-final back in 2005 live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it, never mind me as an opposition player. That night has always stuck in my head and given me the desire to one day play in a red shirt and help the club return to its former glory days.'

Muted for 12 days for calling Rafa fat.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #5997 on: April 8, 2010, 01:21:20 pm »
Robben is such a beast.

Maybe NOW he will get recognition as being the closest to Ronaldo and Messi, which he clearly is

He doesnt have the consistency to be on their level
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5998 on: April 8, 2010, 01:22:28 pm »
He doesnt have the consistency to be on their level

He does, but he's infinitely more injury-prone than either of them.
Name a bad injury for Messi or Ronaldo.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #5999 on: April 8, 2010, 01:22:40 pm »
Robben is such a beast.

Hmmm, he might be the closest, but he's still miles behind both of them.