Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4162009 times)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #52080 on: May 28, 2017, 12:09:47 am »
Shame to see Brook lose like that. Spence looked so good in those last few rounds, maybe held back deliberately early in the fight cos they thought the weight would effect Brook.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:17:51 am by A change without it backfiring! »

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #52081 on: May 28, 2017, 12:12:50 am »
Spence seems like a really nice fella as well, level headed and respectful. He's a class fighter, good boxer, brutal power and has brains as he adjusted in the middle rounds when Brook was on top.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #52082 on: May 28, 2017, 01:18:11 am »

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52083 on: May 28, 2017, 01:22:33 am »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52084 on: May 28, 2017, 01:28:55 am »
Errol Spence doesn't beat Keith Thurman. Whoever said that GTFO! :D

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52085 on: May 28, 2017, 09:40:00 am »
Brook should have never gone up 2 weights to fight GG. And then to go back down 2 weights to fight a guy like Spence. Just fucking terrible career decisions. 2 loses and 2 knackered eyes later and he's pretty much done.

Yep, totally agree.

His was really going places too, lots of potential fights ahead.  Some people, including him I guess, saw the GGG fight as a "cannot lose," they were wrong.

He's pretty much done now.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52086 on: May 28, 2017, 10:01:13 am »
Throwing Kell Brook to Golovkin was a disgrace. Hearn has to bear the responsibility for this.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #52087 on: May 28, 2017, 10:13:33 am »
Errol Spence doesn't beat Keith Thurman. Whoever said that GTFO! :D

I will take your money on that one Samie mate  8)

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #52088 on: May 28, 2017, 10:18:55 am »
I don't know about you all, but I enjoy watching boxing at the moment. We had some cracking fights this year, some tremendous champions (Lomachenko, Crawford...) and I am salivating at the Golovkin-Alvarez fight in September, not mentioning the Ward-Kovalev bout in a couple of weeks.

Farewell, the Mayweather-Klitschko era. You will not be missed.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52089 on: May 28, 2017, 10:25:03 am »
Boxing has been fantastic for a decent while now. It really doesn't need the Mayweather Mcgregor circus. The only thing interesting about that will be the build up to it.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52090 on: May 28, 2017, 10:25:37 am »
That GGG fight was on Brook, not Eddie

Throughout his career he has taken the path of least resistance and has been chasing Khan like a lovesick puppy for a payday. He was in same gym as Witter so he should have not tried to follow his lead. 38 fights, 3 world level fighters he has thought and he last 2 of them

Only 3 of his WW opponents were/had been world champions by the time he fought them, and 2 of those (Ndou and Senchenko) lost their belts to Malignani which tells you the level they were.

So many good WW fights he could have had and won if he really dared to be great. Could have dispatched the likes of Berto, Ortiz, Guerrero, etc and really built his name and possibly got into the Mayweather /Pacman sweepstakes but he was too much in his comfort zone

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52091 on: May 28, 2017, 10:26:36 am »
Fights like yesterday is why boxing is undisputed number 1 sport for me. It was amazing

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #52092 on: May 28, 2017, 10:36:17 am »
Pleased for George Groves his persistence finally pays off at the 4th time of asking. The Brook fight was entertaining but I can understand after the Golovkin bout why he pulled the plug. The problem is if he moves up that fighters hit harder at 154.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52093 on: May 28, 2017, 11:17:44 am »
Eddie Hearn laying into Dave Allen on his interview on IFILTV. I have to say why on earth was he walking about town on fight day meeting people and getting pictures taken burning energy? Rather shocking attitude and lack of professionalism to win the commonwealth heavyweight title.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #52094 on: May 28, 2017, 11:45:41 am »
Eddie Hearn laying into Dave Allen on his interview on IFILTV. I have to say why on earth was he walking about town on fight day meeting people and getting pictures taken burning energy? Rather shocking attitude and lack of professionalism to win the commonwealth heavyweight title.
As I said yesterday, I like Allen but he needs to get real about boxing or find another vocation. He seems to love boxing which makes it all the stranger that he is unwilling to learn the basics. He needs to develop some head movement and footwork pronto. He is physically very strong and has great punch resistance but that won't get you far on its own in the HW.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52095 on: May 28, 2017, 11:45:45 am »

Allen lucky he isn't getting dropped. Out on the town having photos before biggest fight of your career. Madness

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #52096 on: May 28, 2017, 11:46:00 am »
Watched the fight again, and Brook is clearly bothered by his eye at the end of the 7th round, way before it's swollen. Broken eye socket surely, which raises many questions: he should have told his corner at the end of the 7th? Does he have a particular weak bone structure there? Or is it just simply a lack of head defence? You don't need to get hurt very badly to sustain this injury, it can come from being hit with some weird angle.

It mitigates a bit Spence's victory as well, as before the 7th I had Brook ahead. If Brook's corner can figure out a defence to protect his eyes, I can see a rematch.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:49:47 am by Blinis »
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52097 on: May 28, 2017, 11:48:18 am »
Fights like yesterday is why boxing is undisputed number 1 sport for me. It was amazing
Boxing overtook football quite some time ago for me. It is riddled with flaws but at its best it is some spectacle; the AJ vs Wlad fight was just breathtaking for example.

Meanwhile, as boxers put it all on the line for a relative pittance barring a handful of elites, we have turds like shitcoat ruining footy as multi millionaires dive around like fannies and thrive despite lacking basic footballing fundamentals (see Felliani for evidence).

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52098 on: May 28, 2017, 11:51:04 am »
Spence was barbecuing his ribs all night. That's money in the bank and I think he would have seen it through to points considering he was 5,3 and 1 round ahead at the end of 10th

i dont see any heads going in so all Brooks injuries were caused by shots so to me Spence has to get full credit for victory.

I thought the step up was to much for Spence and I had money on Brook but he was genuinely impressive. Gritty, fast, great jab, consistent spiteful body attack
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 11:53:01 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #52099 on: May 28, 2017, 12:01:14 pm »
Boxing overtook football quite some time ago for me. It is riddled with flaws but at its best it is some spectacle; the AJ vs Wlad fight was just breathtaking for example.

Meanwhile, as boxers put it all on the line for a relative pittance barring a handful of elites, we have turds like shitcoat ruining footy as multi millionaires dive around like fannies and thrive despite lacking basic footballing fundamentals (see Felliani for evidence).
Better than UFC as well right now, where the big fights get cancelled on a weekly basis and their biggest star is trying out boxing.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52100 on: May 28, 2017, 12:43:38 pm »
Watched the fight again, and Brook is clearly bothered by his eye at the end of the 7th round, way before it's swollen. Broken eye socket surely, which raises many questions: he should have told his corner at the end of the 7th? Does he have a particular weak bone structure there? Or is it just simply a lack of head defence? You don't need to get hurt very badly to sustain this injury, it can come from being hit with some weird angle.

It mitigates a bit Spence's victory as well, as before the 7th I had Brook ahead. If Brook's corner can figure out a defence to protect his eyes, I can see a rematch.

He did didnt he. One round ingle clearly says don't say anything. To me I think that meant don't tell the ref.

If it's another broken eye I don't see a way back. Once is bad enough twice is something else and it would be dangerous to continue.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 12:45:13 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52101 on: May 28, 2017, 12:54:12 pm »
http://www.skysports.com/brook/news/34037/10896082/1?utm_source=Direct

Kell Brook has confirmed he suffered a broken eye socket in Saturday's defeat to Errol Spence Jr at Bramall Lane in Sheffield.

Brook sunk to his knees in the penultimate round with his swollen left eye causing obvious distress, before referee Howard Foster called a halt to confirm Spence Jr as the new IBF welterweight champion.

Sheffield's Brook had previously suffered a broken orbital bone in his middleweight defeat to Gennady Golovkin last September but it was his other eye that resulted in his defeat against Spence Jr, who was ahead on all three judges' scorecards at the conclusion.

Speaking to Sky Sports News HQ, Brook said: "They kept me in until about 3am. I had a CT scan on my eye and the eye is broken again, same as the Golovkin one, so, maybe surgery again.

Offline Lenny88

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #52102 on: May 28, 2017, 01:07:34 pm »
There was some asthenosphere there last night! gutted for Brook like! thought spence was classy though

what was made of the minute silence?
Walk On..

Offline 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52103 on: May 28, 2017, 01:14:32 pm »
There was some asthenosphere there last night! gutted for Brook like! thought spence was classy though

There was a fair size gang of dickheads who kept chanting through it. Sounded like Sky turned off the mics during it to ensure viewers didn't hear it.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #52104 on: May 28, 2017, 01:15:03 pm »
He did didnt he. One round ingle clearly says don't say anything. To me I think that meant don't tell the ref.

If it's another broken eye I don't see a way back. Once is bad enough twice is something else and it would be dangerous to continue.

Yep, but that's insane. You can see that Brook is clearly unsettled by his eye injury, and Ingle has to ask him and take the decision for his fighter.

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52105 on: May 28, 2017, 03:00:32 pm »
Spence was barbecuing his ribs all night. That's money in the bank and I think he would have seen it through to points considering he was 5,3 and 1 round ahead at the end of 10th

i dont see any heads going in so all Brooks injuries were caused by shots so to me Spence has to get full credit for victory.

I thought the step up was to much for Spence and I had money on Brook but he was genuinely impressive. Gritty, fast, great jab, consistent spiteful body attack

I wanted Brook to win and had money on him doing so, but I had Spence up by three at the time of the stoppage. Think he'd have won fairly comfortably in the end but it was some fight. As others have said boxing is well above footy for me as a sport.
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #52106 on: May 28, 2017, 03:41:38 pm »

Spence had started to adjust before Brook's eye became a problem. Brook had landed some good shots and Spence did look ragged but he took a step back, utilized his jab a bit more and continued with his body shots. Brook's eye was an issue but I think Brook had given Spence his best by then, Spence looked the more fresher and Brook's eye, offensive output early and probably his weight draining problems as the rounds progressed meant that it was all over at that point one way or another.

Spence got an education in there last night, no doubt about it. He wasn't happy with his own performance, he said the 9 month lay off didn't help and he was a bit sluggish basically but he got the job done. But he would have learned a lot, especially the first few rounds. He didn't get battered, he won a few of them actually but he shipped good shots and he had to find a way to adapt and adjust and he did just that. Over the next few Spence fights you'll certainly see him looking more assured and he'll improve a lot for this performance, and you have to credit Kell regardless of his eye problem because he looked the winner in the 5th and 6th.

Where does Kell go? I don't know. You would be wary of putting him in with a puncher now. He's got a good chin has Kell, but little defence. I think Clayton said it, you don't want to be using your face as a way to block shots. At 154, with broken eye sockets and the rest of it, he'll be asking for serious trouble.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52107 on: May 28, 2017, 03:56:47 pm »
Great post Fiasco, can't disagree with any of that.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52108 on: May 28, 2017, 09:49:35 pm »
I honestly think it's time for him to retire. I don't care who you are the two injuries he's sustained to his eyes in the last two fights will play on your mind. With his style it's almost inevitable he's going to take plenty of shots in that area and you just wonder what it'd do to the mind more than the body. Does he really need to fight on and take that sort of a risk with his future health? I'd imagine he doesn't.
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52109 on: May 29, 2017, 04:34:01 am »
I honestly think it's time for him to retire. I don't care who you are the two injuries he's sustained to his eyes in the last two fights will play on your mind. With his style it's almost inevitable he's going to take plenty of shots in that area and you just wonder what it'd do to the mind more than the body. Does he really need to fight on and take that sort of a risk with his future health? I'd imagine he doesn't.

I agree, and he should retire with pride. He's made his money, been world champ. Health comes first. Completely understandable that he withdrew in the eleventh round.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #52110 on: May 29, 2017, 10:45:46 am »

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52111 on: May 29, 2017, 12:17:31 pm »

There was a minutes silence? Was at Bramall Lane and genuinely heard no announcement. The PA system was noticeably very poor though.

Real shame for Kell, gutted for him in front of his own fans. His stock now seems to have fallen the same way his eye sockets have. Very strange/unlucky, that his sockets are now suspect - he's obviously taken hits there before but in his 37th/38th fights they both go.

On Spence - I think he is good, but not great (yet). I also believe if he takes the Thurman fight next then he will lose.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #52112 on: May 29, 2017, 01:08:27 pm »
There was a minutes silence? Was at Bramall Lane and genuinely heard no announcement. The PA system was noticeably very poor though.

Real shame for Kell, gutted for him in front of his own fans. His stock now seems to have fallen the same way his eye sockets have. Very strange/unlucky, that his sockets are now suspect - he's obviously taken hits there before but in his 37th/38th fights they both go.

On Spence - I think he is good, but not great (yet). I also believe if he takes the Thurman fight next then he will lose.
I agree - think Thurman neutralizes Spence's weapons and wins on points.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52113 on: May 29, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »
Somebody should read this to Tony Bellew:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/may/29/kell-brook-eye-injury-dangers-boxing

Great article and a must read. I was disgusted with Bellew's post fight comments and he should come out and apologise.

That section of the article on Gutknecht was heart wrenching.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52114 on: May 29, 2017, 01:45:17 pm »
Great article and a must read. I was disgusted with Bellew's post fight comments and he should come out and apologise.

That section of the article on Gutknecht was heart wrenching.

Bit rich from someone with a history of getting his running shoes on in the ring as well.  Surprised from Bellew though, I hate the character he plays to sell fights with a passion but he normally drops the act on punditry and comes across OK.

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52115 on: May 29, 2017, 02:32:17 pm »
Watched it back just now after being there live.... Really, really gutted for Kell.

I know injuries are part of boxing, and it was caused by a punch, but he can take great heart in the first 6/7 rounds.

I've also read some of you think Kell should retire, well that just won't happen. I'm looking forward to seeing Kell up at 154lb probably early next year.

** Bellew can fuck off too - someone mentioned it already but his comments afterwards were disgraceful. Hope he does get a fight with someone like Wilder and he's quite literally put through the canvas.

Offline Lenny88

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #52116 on: May 29, 2017, 05:22:52 pm »

Yeah Michael Buffer announced it just before Spence come out, the whole stand to my left all started singing through it "england, england' and other crap.. thought it shocking.

Agree about the PA system, not the greatest at all that
Walk On..

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #52117 on: May 29, 2017, 05:45:07 pm »

Spence should take one or two easier fights before going to Thurman, and maybe plan to fight someone like Jessie Vargas. Thurman isn't going to have a big fight until next year anyway.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52118 on: May 29, 2017, 09:15:28 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QfCqzqKg1Y

Video highlighting Spence Jnr's bodywork

A good body attack is money in the bank

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52119 on: May 30, 2017, 12:58:25 am »
I would like to introduce you all to the white, skinny brother of Derek Chisora:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7noAQpD2Rw

You are welcome!