Author Topic: Newsgroups thread (guide)  (Read 73702 times)

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
Re: Newsgroups thread (guide)
« Reply #40 on: March 9, 2011, 01:55:38 pm »
Thanks all signed up now.  Was taking fucking ages then realised only had 3 ports/connections open.  bastard.  Flies with 20 open now.  Why 20 anyway, the max goes higher?

Depends how many connections your allowed by your provider.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: March 9, 2011, 08:45:50 pm »
Depends how many connections your allowed by your provider.

How can I find out? (noob alert).

Offline hope_valley_parker

• Nosey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Found a better place to park....
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 05:15:19 am »
How can I find out? (noob alert).

That's the front page of astraweb, my provider. Have a snoop round the website of yours, sure to be there somewhere.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 08:20:48 am »
Ha, im astraweb too.  Bingo.

Thanks.  :thumbup

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 10:11:05 pm »
I'm on Virgin 30mb and so far downloading 2 episodes of the office total size of 1.3gb and it has taken 1h25 mins so far and still not finished.

Anything I can do to speed this up?  I have eu.news.astraweb.com as my server, port 563 and SSL  ticked.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2011, 10:29:08 pm »
I'm on Virgin 30mb and so far downloading 2 episodes of the office total size of 1.3gb and it has taken 1h25 mins so far and still not finished.

Anything I can do to speed this up?  I have eu.news.astraweb.com as my server, port 563 and SSL  ticked.

Try the non-eu server news.astraweb.com

Make sure you're not capped with Virgin.
:D

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2011, 09:12:28 am »

Was much else downloaded on your connection prior to that?  On the 30mb service you only need to download 5GB between 4pm and 9pm and your 30mb is reduced to 7.5mb for 5 hours from the point of passing 5GB.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2011, 10:07:01 am »
Nope nothing else was downloading or had been downloaded.

I was nowhere nr the 5gb cap.

Very strange.  Is it possible that whatever I was downloading (the office s07e14) was coming from a slow part of the server? if that is even possible.

Annoying though, as torrentleech was by far faste than this on my old 12mb connection.

I'll check the us server when I am home.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2011, 01:01:08 pm »
BE* & Astraweb = Very happy me!

I use the EU server and 443 and is about 10% faster than the 563. That might just be for me.

ADSL user, get your bell wire cut ASAP. My connection went from 12mbps to 19mbps just by disconnecting that wire throughout the house. We use DECT phones so its not even needed.

• Nosey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2011, 06:28:51 pm »
ADSL user, get your bell wire cut ASAP. My connection went from 12mbps to 19mbps just by disconnecting that wire throughout the house. We use DECT phones so its not even needed.

Bell wire? Can you explain?

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2011, 09:34:25 pm »

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2011, 12:47:04 pm »
Thanks to everyone in this thread, just taken the plunge (got fed up with rapidshare) and it's working a treat.  Followed the first post instructions to the letter and I'm getting speeds of about 1200 KB/s.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »
Thanks to everyone in this thread, just taken the plunge (got fed up with rapidshare) and it's working a treat.  Followed the first post instructions to the letter and I'm getting speeds of about 1200 KB/s.

Wow.

What service are you using and what ISP are you with?

Offline kirzer

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2011, 01:47:17 pm »
Have just set up SABnzbd with the Virgin news servers. Works a treat, downloading at 3.7 MB/s.

Offline ozzy-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King.
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2011, 01:49:22 pm »
Anyone on here been using texparadox for their links?
Great selection and some fantastic HD stuff on their too.
That's about as funny as having impotency and a pregnant wife.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2011, 01:53:30 pm »
Usenet is the bomb. Been using it since 1992ish. My only worry is that it once the geek barrier to entry is eliminated, and usage increases through ease of use with tools like Giganews, GrabIt and Newzbin, it will come onto the radar of the establishment.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2011, 01:59:56 pm »
Wow.

What service are you using and what ISP are you with?

You should get 3600KB/sec with Astraweb and Virgin mate! Try changing your port to 80 if you're still not having any luck.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2011, 03:18:26 pm »
You should get 3600KB/sec with Astraweb and Virgin mate! Try changing your port to 80 if you're still not having any luck.

I'll try,

I'm on Virgin 30mb,  and I get between 300-600kb/s downoad.  I'll try 80. Should I tick ssl?  And my connections are at max 20, but sometimes it says I have used all my user connections, so I was advised to drop to about 15?  This is via Grabit.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2011, 03:57:36 pm »
i'm on virgin and normally max out my connection

i don't use ssl & my server uses ports 119, 23, 8000, 1720 & 3128, i find sometimes during the evening i don't get max speed even if i've downloaded nothing during the day so switch ports and it's normally ok, i don't know if this is caused by something at the server's end or if virgin are throttling certain ports

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2011, 04:15:00 pm »
Fish do you use Usenet?

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2011, 04:23:33 pm »
yeah

i use 2 servers, maximum usenet which i use 95% of the time and i have a payg account with astraweb which i only use if there's missing files on the main server

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2011, 04:32:50 pm »
Ah fair enough I use astraweb.

I'll have a check and see what ports can be opened on my router then (superhub from virgin = gash), cos im dissapointed with the speeds.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2011, 04:38:32 pm »
try astraweb without ssl

i've just downloaded a 800mb file using news.astraweb.com on port 23 and it maxed out ok

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2011, 04:39:08 pm »
Alright fish ill give it a go when I get in.  Thanks.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2011, 06:55:36 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  I assume my max is 3mb/s as on 30mb line.  Its going swimmingly at 2.67mb/s over wireless at the moment.

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:32 pm »
I mentioned on the last page, but if you buy the Astraweb 25GB or 180GB blocks and are a Virgin Media customer then set news.virginmedia.com as your Priority 1 server and Astraweb as Priority 2.  It will attempt to get the file from Virgin first and from Astraweb if it isn't available on Virgin.  I have it set up this way and most of my downloads come from the Virgin server rather than Astraweb which saves me a few quid.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2011, 09:57:49 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  I assume my max is 3mb/s as on 30mb line.  Its going swimmingly at 2.67mb/s over wireless at the moment.

Glad you fixed it mate! Probably handicapped by your wireless now though by the looks of it :(! Either that or Virgin simply aren't delivering 30MB, see if you can try it wired... unless you're happy with how it is.

I mentioned on the last page, but if you buy the Astraweb 25GB or 180GB blocks and are a Virgin Media customer then set news.virginmedia.com as your Priority 1 server and Astraweb as Priority 2.  It will attempt to get the file from Virgin first and from Astraweb if it isn't available on Virgin.  I have it set up this way and most of my downloads come from the Virgin server rather than Astraweb which saves me a few quid.

How much would you say it works out per month doing that?

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2011, 10:58:15 pm »
Glad you fixed it mate! Probably handicapped by your wireless now though by the looks of it :(! Either that or Virgin simply aren't delivering 30MB, see if you can try it wired... unless you're happy with how it is.

How much would you say it works out per month doing that?

3MB/sec sounds about right. (I assume he means 30Mbit not 30MB connection.)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2011, 11:16:26 pm »
found this Walshy

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2781

File Sharing:

We also moderate the total volume of file sharing traffic on our network between 5pm and midnight on weekdays and midday and midnight on weekends. This policy, which applies to all broadband packages, is restricted to Peer to Peer (“P2P”) applications and Newsgroups (which are commonly used to distribute large amounts of data)

This policy does not impact any applications other than Peer to Peer and Newsgroups, so things like watching iPlayer, online gaming, making calls via Skype, downloading music tracks from iTunes or streaming them from Spotify and sending an email or normal browsing are unaffected.

It's important to remember that these traffic management policies only apply at peak times when speeds are most likely to be affected by people using more than their fair share. Outside of peak times we do not manage traffic.

i thought they were throttling usenet as i'd noticed my speeds dropping in the evening but downloads from http or on my ps3 were more or less full speed

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2011, 01:56:37 pm »
3MB/sec sounds about right. (I assume he means 30Mbit not 30MB connection.)

aye 30Mbit connection should be like 3.6MB/sec with Virgin thats all, he's still a MB down. Although 2.67MB/sec is completely adequate for downloading.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2011, 02:12:39 pm »
aye 30Mbit connection should be like 3.6MB/sec with Virgin thats all, he's still a MB down. Although 2.67MB/sec is completely adequate for downloading.

But you never get "full" speed due to the network overhead. Add on the overhead of the wireless connection, and it sounds pretty much on the money. Any faster and I'd say he were getting more than 30Mbit.

2.67MB/sec sounds like ambrosia to me. Wish I had that kind of connection :(

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2011, 03:40:07 pm »
But you never get "full" speed due to the network overhead. Add on the overhead of the wireless connection, and it sounds pretty much on the money. Any faster and I'd say he were getting more than 30Mbit.

2.67MB/sec sounds like ambrosia to me. Wish I had that kind of connection :(

I agree about the overhead for the wireless, but on Virgin... unless they're having issues you'll always get max speed.

On 10MBit I get 1.17MB/sec
On 20MBit I get  2.26MB/sec

And on my friends 50MBit he gets 6MB/sec++

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2011, 03:58:30 pm »
I didn't try it wired, as when I plugged it in wired the thing didnt start downloading again.

But happy with 2.6 wireless, especially as Virgin do sometimes slow down torrents at anytime.

Using news.astraweb.com port 23.  Unless someone can recommend something better.  Maybe 80?  Or an EU server?  SLL server?

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2011, 07:23:45 pm »
whats the best/biggest usenet search site to register with? im currently with newzbin and its ok, especially as you get newzxxx  :D i'd like to view most downloaded files or current top ten of certain sections etc, newzbin dont offer this nor do i know if any usenet site does? i like to browse for stuff that i may have missed or has just been newly released?

thanks in advance

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »
I used to be on newzbin until the courts had it taken down.  Currently using nzbmatrix.  I think they have a few demand issues, site is prone to falling over but its not normally down for more than a few minutes.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2011, 08:26:59 pm »
didn't newzbin come back as newzbin2
STFU and agree with me.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2011, 08:52:48 pm »
Newzbin has been shite for a while now, no one seems to comment on anything and posts are slow to appear. Newzxxx.com is free, all you need is a newzbin account, unpaid or active it still works.

Nzbmatrix is awesome for everything except Microsoft related stuff which is banned, and is only £7.00 one off payment.

http://binsearch.info is free but basic.

• Nosey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2011, 09:48:07 pm »
Newzbin has been shite for a while now, no one seems to comment on anything and posts are slow to appear. Newzxxx.com is free, all you need is a newzbin account, unpaid or active it still works.

Nzbmatrix is awesome for everything except Microsoft related stuff which is banned, and is only £7.00 one off payment.

http://binsearch.info is free but basic.

Kash - any recommendations for somewhere to find the Microsoft related stuff? I want to...ahem...back up my version of Office.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
I agree about the overhead for the wireless, but on Virgin... unless they're having issues you'll always get max speed.

On 10MBit I get 1.17MB/sec
On 20MBit I get  2.26MB/sec

And on my friends 50MBit he gets 6MB/sec++

I bow to your superior knowledge of Virgin. Never used it myself.

didn't newzbin come back as newzbin2

Yup, but it's just an expensive way to find stuff that isn't on nzbmatrix.

Kash - any recommendations for somewhere to find the Microsoft related stuff? I want to...ahem...back up my version of Office.

Apart from binsearch.info, there's nzbindex.nl.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2011, 12:12:35 am »
I bow to your superior knowledge of Virgin. Never used it myself.

Sorry if I came across dickage mate, just making sure he's getting the most out of his connection as with cable (rather than ADSL) it doesn't tend to matter if you're a distance away from the exchange.