Author Topic: 90's Football Draft - Discussion/ Sign up  (Read 33683 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 90's Football Draft - Discussion/ Sign up
« Reply #480 on: November 15, 2019, 12:47:36 pm »
:D the Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away.

I was expecting Betty to be the one to do it  ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #481 on: November 15, 2019, 12:50:49 pm »

There’s definitely a few posters who you dread picking.

I can only assume Betty hacked me yesterday, Liverpool on Man City style. :D

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #482 on: November 15, 2019, 12:51:21 pm »

I've already got the best left back in the business.

It's okay, I'm sure I'll steal your next pick.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #483 on: November 15, 2019, 12:54:17 pm »
I've already got the best second best left back in the business.

It's okay, I'm sure I'll steal your next pick.

I'm Roberto Carlos and I improved this rancid piece of propaganda -- so it was accurate

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #484 on: November 15, 2019, 12:54:27 pm »
There’s definitely a few posters who you dread picking.

I can only assume Betty hacked me yesterday, Liverpool on Man City style. :D

You, me, Hazell, Tubby, El Lobo, and now Defacto all have almost the exact same drafting taste. It's a nightmare.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: November 15, 2019, 12:56:18 pm »
I wouldn't say taste, but rather idea stealing thievery :D

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #486 on: November 15, 2019, 12:57:28 pm »
I'm Roberto Carlos and I improved this rancid piece of propaganda -- so it was accurate

If this draft included the 00s you'd be right. Lizarazu, however, spent his entire peak in the 90s. Carlos only spent half of his.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: November 15, 2019, 01:00:16 pm »
If this draft included the 00s you'd be right. Lizarazu, however, spent his entire peak in the 90s. Carlos only spent half of his.

Stop there mate... Any world class manager in the world (even the French National team) has a choice between

1. R Carlos
2. Lizarazu (whom is very talented)

in any year of the 1990's (even ones that RC did not play in) and they still would not waste three seconds deciding who is his left back is..... (quit moving the goal posts) - not having it.

Roberto Carlos the best left back, even in decades he did not play in......or closer to your point half-decades :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:02:25 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #488 on: November 15, 2019, 01:04:04 pm »
Stop there mate... Any world class manager in the world (even the French National team) has a choice between

1. R Carlos
2. Lizarazu (whom is very talented)

would not waste three seconds deciding who is his left back is..... (quit moving the goal posts) - not having it.

I can only judge Roberto Carlos on his 90s period. He doesn't exist in the 00s. I'm not saying he was shite, but I don't think it's black and white. I think longevity and peak performance in the 90s are absolutely crucial to juging players in this draft. If not then why are we even calling it a 90s draft?

I'm not moving any goal posts either. I think both Carlos and Lizarazu are some of the best LBs in the 90s. I just don't think the choice is simple if we're only judging on the 90s. Carlos had more in his locker for sure, but his peak was early 00s for me.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:05:48 pm by Betty Blue »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: November 15, 2019, 01:07:10 pm »
I can only judge Roberto Carlos on his 90s period. He doesn't exist in the 00s. I'm not saying he was shite, but I don't think it's black and white. I think longevity and peak performance in the 90s are absolutely crucial to juging players in this draft. If not then why are we even calling it a 90s draft?

I'm not moving any goal posts either. I think Lizarazu is one of the best LBs in the 90s. As is Carlos. I don't think the choice is simply if we're only judging on the 90s though. Carlos had more in his locker for sure, but his peak was early 00s for me.

That's all I am saying on the matter...  We agree with the highlighted part above...

*** ahem this retort is not constructed with any revenge in my heart for Betty's thievery of McGrath or McManaman - during what can only be called as an epic orgy of pickin' where people were not even naked when f***ed....

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Sadly, this is the drafting world we live in... okay done with my wine - Nice picks Betts - gonna stop slinging the bullshetts
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:11:03 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: November 15, 2019, 01:20:17 pm »

I'm not moving any goal posts either. I think both Carlos and Lizarazu are some of the best LBs in the 90s. I just don't think the choice is simple if we're only judging on the 90s. Carlos had more in his locker for sure, but his peak was early 00s for me.

Betty you're French, it's no surprise you would say that  ;D

All jokes aside, I loved Lizarazu [how can you not with a name like that]. I think he was a better defender.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #491 on: November 15, 2019, 01:28:32 pm »

All jokes aside, I loved Lizarazu [how can you not with a name like that]. I think he was a better defender.

Yeah, I know I'm biased haha  :D

France 3 - Brazil 0

I was going to leave my RB pick for later, but with Jorginho, Jones, and Babbel all going in the last round it felt like a terrible idea. I think Reuter's a bit underrated generally, but delighted with him in any case. My plan (errr, since yesterday) was to get two attacking fullbacks bombing down the wings a la Liverpool.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: November 15, 2019, 01:38:29 pm »
Yeah, I know I'm biased haha  :D

France 3 - Brazil 0

I was going to leave my RB pick for later, but with Jorginho, Jones, and Babbel all going in the last round it felt like a terrible idea. I think Reuter's a bit underrated generally, but delighted with him in any case. My plan (errr, since yesterday) was to get two attacking fullbacks bombing down the wings a la Liverpool.

Helps when Ronaldo is having panic attacks leading up to the game  ;D, still haven't gotten over you scraping past Croatia in the semi's either.

:'(

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: November 15, 2019, 01:43:07 pm »
I had a shit ton of money on a 2-0 bet in that game

I still haven't forgiven Petit to this day. 93rd minute  :duh

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #494 on: November 15, 2019, 01:44:56 pm »
Helps when Ronaldo is having panic attacks leading up to the game  ;D, still haven't gotten over you scraping past Croatia in the semi's either.

:'(

SCRAPING! That was Lilian Thuram's greatest moment.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kp8QHXtQoIo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kp8QHXtQoIo</a>

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: November 15, 2019, 01:45:18 pm »

Taking nothing away from Bixente here or the lovely French sides of the 90's, but Roberto Carlos was never meant to defend like typical defenders of his time (1 vs 1 in the corner or flank tackles etc...

He was one of the first attacking wing backs to play at high level (and he did get a tag of being lazy defensively later in his career), but the tactics of the game were to pin other teams in and breaking quickly on the counter using flank play as main tactic --- this meant his responsibility up the pitch was more like a midfielder.   And unless teams accounted for this, they could get punished. 

Let's not forget RC was outstanding on restarts, assists and distribution (Andy Robbo should be the Robbo Carlo of prem) as adding a dimension that RC did not have (worth ethic up and down the flank).

But the better defender award is kind of a misnomer -- Brazil really did not play their left backs to defend finite space.  They were taught to defend with the ball, and seize space higher up the pitch.

Nuff said... do not want to detract from what is a beautiful draft.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #496 on: November 15, 2019, 01:46:31 pm »
Who do you rank higher though, Marcelo or Roberto Carlos?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #497 on: November 15, 2019, 01:48:45 pm »

Nilton Santos.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: November 15, 2019, 01:51:57 pm »
Hazell? Why don’t you fuck off? :wanker

Sorry. Heggem's still available
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: November 15, 2019, 01:52:53 pm »

I see Marcelo as RC 2.0 -- more offensive, can dribble in a crowd and combine more efficiently, maybe better at ball delivery.  His tactical understanding is better in my opinion and his ability to pick out a pass pretty damn good.

RC had a punishing shot, and his range was much bigger.  But each generation gets better (imo) and I see Marcelo as a better version (team) of R Carlos.  But make no mistake, I am not sure there is a Marcelo in today's current form with a RC and role that was created and formed over the years.   

One could see Marcelo stuck out in the world of Jermaine Pennant wide player/attacking player role which might not have been good for him - although he surely could be better than most at it.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #500 on: November 15, 2019, 01:59:30 pm »
Surprised Gazza lasted so long, feel like he is rated much higher than that usually?

Might we see modern day drafts treating Goalkeepers more level? A player like Alisson, Ederson, Ter Stegen can often be the start of an attack, rather than just a guy to keep the shots out.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #501 on: November 15, 2019, 02:08:42 pm »
Sorry. Heggem's still available

Don’t joke. Shame injuries did for him!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #502 on: November 15, 2019, 02:09:21 pm »
Yeah seriously, Heggem was an amazing wing back for the 5 games he was available.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: November 15, 2019, 02:13:14 pm »
SCRAPING! That was Lilian Thuram's greatest moment.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kp8QHXtQoIo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kp8QHXtQoIo</a>

The only time I ever remember scoring  :butt

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: November 15, 2019, 02:15:28 pm »
Don’t joke. Shame injuries did for him!

Wasn't being sarky, loved Heggem.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #505 on: November 15, 2019, 02:16:00 pm »
The only time I ever remember scoring  :butt

They were his first two international goals! He was at fault for their goal too. You just couldn't write this shit. It was crazy.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: November 15, 2019, 02:17:30 pm »
7 6 picks away, might just yet survive this and get the main man I should of picked last round

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:21:14 pm by RobbieRedman »

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: November 15, 2019, 02:21:43 pm »
Defacto - just out of interest, where will you be playing Jarni?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: November 15, 2019, 02:23:24 pm »
They were his first two international goals! He was at fault for their goal too. You just couldn't write this shit. It was crazy.

Which makes it even worse !  ;D

There goes my back four.

Tassotti    Costacurta   Baresi     Jarni

Davids  Desailly   Mendieta

Moller

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: November 15, 2019, 02:24:26 pm »
Defacto - just out of interest, where will you be playing Jarni?

Left-back. He's going to be my defacto  ;D width on the left hand side, with one of my midfielders covering him when he makes his runs

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: November 15, 2019, 02:25:17 pm »
Left-back. He's going to be my defacto  ;D width on the left hand side, with one of my midfielders covering him when he makes his runs
Brilliant, i think i'll see you in the final, top picks!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: November 15, 2019, 02:28:36 pm »
Brilliant, i think i'll see you in the final, top picks!

Cheers Robbie, but I'm sure someone will knock me out as always by then  ;D

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: November 15, 2019, 02:31:16 pm »
Cheers Robbie, but I'm sure someone will knock me out as always by then  ;D
You need to someone in there getting in on the end of those worldy crosses from Jarni

I know who that man is and I can't believe he hasn't been picked yet! (not Duncan Ferguson)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #513 on: November 15, 2019, 02:38:43 pm »
When did Tassotti get picked. Was just mulling over making him my next selection!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #514 on: November 15, 2019, 02:42:50 pm »
When did Tassotti get picked. Was just mulling over making him my next selection!

There's still an elite level 90s right back available, works as a pundit and commentator these days, you might've seen him on the telly.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: November 15, 2019, 02:43:45 pm »
Heartbreak.

Absolutely gutted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: November 15, 2019, 02:45:46 pm »

Long time ago mate  ;D

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #517 on: November 15, 2019, 02:54:07 pm »
There's still an elite level 90s right back available, works as a pundit and commentator these days, you might've seen him on the telly.

Good luck to whoever dares pick him.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #518 on: November 15, 2019, 02:54:57 pm »
Heartbreak.

Absolutely gutted

The beauty of drafting. You'll get used to the disappointment. We've all been there.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #519 on: November 15, 2019, 03:05:34 pm »
Took coss for right back for me so if in doubt thought I’d get another partnership going  with him and Sergi.