Author Topic: Notre-Dame Cathedral on Fire  (Read 11098 times)

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
Re: Notre-Dame Cathedral on Fire
« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2019, 12:05:45 pm »
Classy reponse from the (next) US president....

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1117957192337039361

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2019, 01:04:56 pm »
Bad few weeks for Peter Beardsley. Sacked by Newcastle F.C and now his gaff has burnt down.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2019, 01:24:17 pm »
Classy reponse from the (next) US president....

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1117957192337039361

I speak French and Spanish and Mayor Pete speaks both reasonably well with a decent accent. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that he ie is the anti-Trump.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline bahrainexpat

• Knows it's cocktail hour. Just not sure which day it is.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2019, 02:55:06 pm »
Fuck me - I fell for that one.

For whom the bell tolls

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2019, 03:10:14 pm »
I was there last month and didn't really plan to go in but had a look anyway whilst a mass was in progress. Absolutely stunning, shame it'll be closed to the public for a while now.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2019, 05:09:13 pm »
Cheers for those illustrations and pics Alan

Great stuff. Really much better news than I was expecting. Cathedral ‘experts’ one after the other saying the entire thing was doomed

Embarrassing clamour for tragedy. Weird weird people
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 06:06:42 pm by rushyman »
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2019, 11:15:24 pm »
Cheers for those illustrations and pics Alan

Great stuff. Really much better news than I was expecting. Cathedral ‘experts’ one after the other saying the entire thing was doomed

Embarrassing clamour for tragedy. Weird weird people

Far too much hyperbolic nonsense last night. More than 90% of the structure is stone and was never going to catch fire.

As you say, far too much clamour for tragedy and drama. The reverse today was equally nonsensical - a ‘miracle’ that so much survived. Surely the miracle would have been no fire.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2019, 11:47:47 pm »
Far too much hyperbolic nonsense last night. More than 90% of the structure is stone and was never going to catch fire.

As you say, far too much clamour for tragedy and drama. The reverse today was equally nonsensical - a ‘miracle’ that so much survived. Surely the miracle would have been no fire.

Exactly

Hyperbole overdrive. Some were very clearly well educated people aswell saying it was finished, desperate to be  the messenger of news

Bad news sells and when that’s been flogged to death time for the amazing news. In this case a miracle
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2019, 12:39:12 am »
Somewhere in Hollywood, a gaggle of scriptwriters have just pissed their pants in excitement as the second draft rolls off of the HP... And straight into a FedEx folder marked "FAO: Tom Hanks!"... American press can't help themselves, they've been all over this like... I don't know... like they're waiting on some terrorist threat ahead of easter?

They really are the shitty nappy of the world's media and all bemoaners of Trump within the industry are the very crackpots who enabled him in the first place.

Not a Catholic, have never been a fan of Disney, but never like to see a building, especially one of such beauty and grace (as well as a symbol of national pride) catch fire.

Saying all that, with the general media absolutely foaming at the mouth for something to stoke and report and with political situations across continents - in a bizarre Rubik's cube kind of way... sweating by the palms, even if there was any sort of foul play on anyone's part... I'd seriously question the wisdom in releasing any kind of information that could be spun for political agendas.

Probably already been posted, but look at this Trump-hair perched shitbird - she may as well have his hand up her hoop with her Zippy looking mouth, who looks remarkably like that blonde Tory that Alan Sugartits was drooling all over in Apprentice 2, I forgot her name, Kate something or other?

https://twitter.com/EmeraldRobinson/status/1118285882484822018

I mean, Jesus fucking Benedict Cumberbatch in a Virgin Holidays space rocket - don't these people realise that this Conspiracy Bollocks has all been done before in V for Vendetta?

The mind absolutely boggles at some folks' utter need to act like Pied Pipers and get people to dance to their own tune!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:41:43 am by Skidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:30 am »
Genuine question, why aren't the Catholic church paying to do the work? Football club owners pledging millions, even our fucking government are talking about stumping money up. I think these people are rich and powerful enough to sort out their own problems?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2019, 09:57:48 am »
Genuine question, why aren't the Catholic church paying to do the work? Football club owners pledging millions, even our fucking government are talking about stumping money up. I think these people are rich and powerful enough to sort out their own problems?
I wonder why there isn’t an insurance company paying for it.

To be fair, Norte Dame is a world famous landmark. It’s a Catholic Church, fair enough, but it’s just part of Paris.  Like London without the tower.  Rome without the colosseum. It’s way more than a church now.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2019, 10:10:31 am »

To be fair Alan, stone can be severely damaged by fire if its hot enough and burns long enough.  Let's not forget the fire was caused by restoration work on stonework that was deteriorating because of pollution, albeit most likely on the outside. 

Stone in poor condition can be cracked and split by intense fire.  Throw the water damage in and the potential for severe damage is possible.  It's not like the Albert Dock, which was built specifically to be fire proof.

That said, I agree with all the sentiments on here that the media on this issue (and lets face it, plenty others) have been outright carrion feeders.  They want it to be bad because misery sells, misery is money.  I for one am certainly relieved that the structure is in much better condition than we first feared, and it's a testament to its construction that it withstood this devastation.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2019, 10:18:28 am »

Do insurance companies pay out on 'acts of god' when it's in a cathedral?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2019, 10:21:49 am »

To be fair, Norte Dame is a world famous landmark. It’s a Catholic Church, fair enough, but it’s just part of Paris.  Like London without the tower.  Rome without the colosseum. It’s way more than a church now.

Did some reading up on how much the Vatican is actually worth.  apparently only $15bn.  Certainly a lot, but only the equivalent to a modest sized corporation really.  And like any business, that's not cash; at least half of it is paper assets.

If Notre Dame really is going to cost upwards of $6bn in restoration work, then that's something even the Vatican likely can't afford on its own, nor should it.  As you say, it's more than just a Catholic Church - it's a symbol of a nation, in one of the most prosperous countries on Earth.  It belongs to France, it belongs to the people of the world. 

No where near the same thing of course, but makes me wonder how people in Liverpool would react if, say, Anfield burned down. 

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2019, 10:31:11 am »
Also, I think I heard that Notre Dame belongs to the French government, not the Catholic Church, although it is a Catholic cathedral. Not sure who staffs it or who is legally responsible for repairs, renovation etc. But I imagine it's a bit more complicated than some are making out
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2019, 10:36:39 am »
No where near the same thing of course, but makes me wonder how people in Liverpool would react if, say, Anfield burned down. 

I wouldn't expect the taxpayer to rebuild it for us

Also, I think I heard that Notre Dame belongs to the French government, not the Catholic Church, although it is a Catholic cathedral. Not sure who staffs it or who is legally responsible for repairs, renovation etc. But I imagine it's a bit more complicated than some are making out

Well put. I expect there'll be quite a few 'for Notre Dame' collection plates going round the world in various churches, so one would hope the vatican contributes plenty of it's share
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:38:17 am by Classycara »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2019, 10:43:54 am »
I wouldn't expect the taxpayer to rebuild it for us

Of course not - we're not Everton! ;)

But I didn't quite mean it like that.  I was thinking more in terms of the emotional loss for the city if we lost any major and beloved landmark in such a manner - rather than the council just knocking shit down because they're idiots.

Anfield would be covered by insurance, and FSG would look to finance reconstruction.  That said, I imagine there are plenty of Liverpool fans around the world who would look to set up a gofundme to assist.  And they wouldn't be asked. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2019, 11:36:28 am »

Yep. It was seized during the French Revolution

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2019, 11:51:19 am »
should set the homeless, the refugees, the poor, the starving ones on fire so that couple of rich dudes can throw money at them quickly.

an old building on fire that does not have any sprinkler system, insurance firms will have a field day
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2019, 01:36:32 pm »
should set the homeless, the refugees, the poor, the starving ones on fire so that couple of rich dudes can throw money at them quickly.

an old building on fire that does not have any sprinkler system, insurance firms will have a field day

Worth sharing this on that point. Not to shit stir or cause debate - more just an observation.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2019, 01:38:27 pm »
Worth sharing this on that point. Not to shit stir or cause debate - more just an observation.

Also why doesn't the church put up some of their 170billion to the restoration project? I mean the pope is praying, so putting his hands together and wishing.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2019, 10:41:46 am »

Spot on. Also love the fact that they've all made sure their name or brand has been published by nearly every publication. No anonymous pieces of generosity.

As for the Catholic Church throwing some of coin towards the rebuild, I thought I read somewhere on here that the French people took ownership during the revolution.

I know its important to fix these items which are of cultural and historical significance, but could you imagine the current culture that money could change and the history it could make now rather then preserve.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2019, 01:56:55 pm »
Also why doesn't the church put up some of their 170billion to the restoration project? I mean the pope is praying, so putting his hands together and wishing.

A large proportion of that 170bn is set aside for compo claims from victims of their army of nonce priests

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2019, 03:08:24 pm »
I love my history, and I love old buildings. But doing a minutes silence for the Notre Dame in Liverpool is a bit fucking much. The $600 million donated angle has also already been covered, so I won't even go into that. Unbelievable media frenzy for this whole thing really.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2019, 03:15:08 pm »
I love my history, and I love old buildings. But doing a minutes silence for the Notre Dame in Liverpool is a bit fucking much. The $600 million donated angle has also already been covered, so I won't even go into that. Unbelievable media frenzy for this whole thing really.

I've not seen anything about a minutes silence for Notre Dame.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2019, 03:17:12 pm »
I've not seen anything about a minutes silence for Notre Dame.

I heard it on the radio today. Minutes silence, and the cathedral bells will be ringing for seven minutes.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2019, 03:17:50 pm »
It fucking disgusts me to be honest. No doubt there'll be serious deductibles for tax purposes for all these charitable donations.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2019, 03:45:56 pm »

Agreed. We didn't have  minutes silence when Fat Joe had the Futurist pulled down.

I can understand the cathedral bells though. Good to express solidarity.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2019, 03:46:41 pm »
It fucking disgusts me to be honest. No doubt there'll be serious deductibles for tax purposes for all these charitable donations.

All trying to buy their way into heaven.

Popcorn's Art

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2019, 03:49:14 pm »
Minutes silences at this point are very close to meaningless. They serve a purpose for remembrance but we pause to 'remember' things that happened less than a week ago now, and with such a low threshold they're almost constant.

Though if the cathedral wants to do their own thing about another cathedral, why not.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2019, 04:02:39 pm »
To be fair Alan, stone can be severely damaged by fire if its hot enough and burns long enough.  Let's not forget the fire was caused by restoration work on stonework that was deteriorating because of pollution, albeit most likely on the outside. 

Stone in poor condition can be cracked and split by intense fire.  Throw the water damage in and the potential for severe damage is possible.  It's not like the Albert Dock, which was built specifically to be fire proof.

That said, I agree with all the sentiments on here that the media on this issue (and lets face it, plenty others) have been outright carrion feeders.  They want it to be bad because misery sells, misery is money.  I for one am certainly relieved that the structure is in much better condition than we first feared, and it's a testament to its construction that it withstood this devastation.

If it was a building with timber floors and internal structure I'd agree with you. Glasgow School of Art suffered damage to the stone work because internal timber burned and there was significant internal damage when Windsor Castle burned because St George's Hall had a timber roof with no stone vaults and there was loads of panelling and furnishings.

The roof structure and spire is (obviously) above the columns and buttresses and above the roof vaults. There's no significant fire load inside the body of the building and what there is was too distant from the heat of the fire to flash over. You can see all the pews and furniture inside the nave.

Even when the burning spire fell and crashed through the transept there was nothing significant for it to set fire to.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2019, 04:27:30 pm »
28m raised for Grenfell Tower....people lived there and some died

closed to 1b being raised for Notre Dame...

01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2019, 04:37:25 pm »
28m raised for Grenfell Tower....people lived there and some died

closed to 1b being raised for Notre Dame...

I don't understand what they have to do with each other. They are both buildings that caught fire. Other than that, completely different.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2019, 05:19:14 pm »
If it was a building with timber floors and internal structure I'd agree with you. Glasgow School of Art suffered damage to the stone work because internal timber burned and there was significant internal damage when Windsor Castle burned because St George's Hall had a timber roof with no stone vaults and there was loads of panelling and furnishings.

The roof structure and spire is (obviously) above the columns and buttresses and above the roof vaults. There's no significant fire load inside the body of the building and what there is was too distant from the heat of the fire to flash over. You can see all the pews and furniture inside the nave.

Even when the burning spire fell and crashed through the transept there was nothing significant for it to set fire to.

Yes.  Looking at the pictures the structure looks quite sound.  It will take time to asses and identify any potential weak areas of course. 

It will probably reopen to the public relatively quickly once the damage is assessed and the structure is encased protectively.  A lot of the restoration work can be done at the same time.  Allowing for structure scans, assessments, temporary repairs and removal of at risk fixtures for restoration, it could well reopen in as little as two years.

Will be interesting to see how they blend modern and traditional work practices.  For example, whether they rebuild the roof in situ, or carefully map the roof area and construct the replacement all at once so it can be disassembled and reassembled on site for quick installation.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2019, 07:39:43 pm »
I don't understand what they have to do with each other. They are both buildings that caught fire. Other than that, completely different.
One was full of poor people, one was a chance for very rich people to self promote.

I think people are trying to highlight the fact that the self promoting rich people (as mentioned above) are more willing to help as long as it shows them to be good people.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2019, 08:07:37 pm »
One was full of poor people, one was a chance for very rich people to self promote.

I think people are trying to highlight the fact that the self promoting rich people (as mentioned above) are more willing to help as long as it shows them to be good people.

Sorry but it's a knee-jerk reaction that doesn't bear close scrutiny. Society is complicated and unless you're going to be an absolutist and ban all spending on anything else until every social problem is sorted then there will always be buildings like Notre Dame that need renovation or restoration.

Are you saying that Notre Dame shouldn't be restored? Just let it rot?

If not it needs to be paid for. If you don't want billionaires donations then where does the money come from? The public purse? Or just people with far less wealth?

For those of us who live in the world where we are trying to promote culture and access to the arts, music and literature for people who might otherwise be excluded, donations from rich benefactors is essential to making things happen. It would be great if that wasn't the case but that's the world we live in. And if that means it's got the name of a benefactor on it then who gives a fucking shit? Not the people who get to use it.

I assume that everyone disgusted by this won't be supporting Liverpool until the world's problems are solved. They raised £28 million for Grenfell Tower and we spent £75 million on a centre-back. Modern football is all about self-promotion left, right and centre from TV companies, to sponsors to owners and players.

A few French billionaires have given 700 million to the fund to restore Notre Dame? That's 700 million that doesn't have to be found by the government or ordinary people. And if it's not anonymous then who really gives a shit? Do you really think the head of Louis Vuitton* and the fourth richest man in the world needs the extra publicity?

*this is the Louis Vuitton brand:

I think they're doing ok for name recognition...

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2019, 08:44:36 pm »
Sorry but it's a knee-jerk reaction that doesn't bear close scrutiny. Society is complicated and unless you're going to be an absolutist and ban all spending on anything else until every social problem is sorted then there will always be buildings like Notre Dame that need renovation or restoration.

Are you saying that Notre Dame shouldn't be restored? Just let it rot?

If not it needs to be paid for. If you don't want billionaires donations then where does the money come from? The public purse? Or just people with far less wealth?

For those of us who live in the world where we are trying to promote culture and access to the arts, music and literature for people who might otherwise be excluded, donations from rich benefactors is essential to making things happen. It would be great if that wasn't the case but that's the world we live in. And if that means it's got the name of a benefactor on it then who gives a fucking shit? Not the people who get to use it.

I assume that everyone disgusted by this won't be supporting Liverpool until the world's problems are solved. They raised £28 million for Grenfell Tower and we spent £75 million on a centre-back. Modern football is all about self-promotion left, right and centre from TV companies, to sponsors to owners and players.

A few French billionaires have given 700 million to the fund to restore Notre Dame? That's 700 million that doesn't have to be found by the government or ordinary people. And if it's not anonymous then who really gives a shit? Do you really think the head of Louis Vuitton* and the fourth richest man in the world needs the extra publicity?

*this is the Louis Vuitton brand:

I think they're doing ok for name recognition...

Sorry Alan but that's the reason why we are where we are in the world today..... The 'well that's how it is and nothing is going to change' attitude is how we've ended up accepting second best as the norm , and you know what, it's not good enough and that's why people are becoming knee-jerk as you put it.

As for your second point I've never heard of that brand in my like so they can't be doing that good of a fuckin job can they?  :)
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2019, 09:07:39 pm »
I agree with Alan on this. Notre Dame will have to be paid for. If we can get away with a few billionaires footing that bill then we're laughing. that's better for everyone. They get some kind of reflected cachet; the cathedral gets restored and the public purse and poorer people can spend their money where it's more needed.

The fact that such rich people may not be so quick to donate to more urgent and less glamorous causes is a shame, but it's their decision. Life and people's choices are rarely fair or logical.

Perhaps general taxpayers can more easily donate to those causes because they don't have to foot the Notre Dame bill
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2019, 09:24:08 pm »
I agree with Alan on this. Notre Dame will have to be paid for. If we can get away with a few billionaires footing that bill then we're laughing. that's better for everyone. They get some kind of reflected cachet; the cathedral gets restored and the public purse and poorer people can spend their money where it's more needed.

The fact that such rich people may not be so quick to donate to more urgent and less glamorous causes is a shame, but it's their decision. Life and people's choices are rarely fair or logical.

Perhaps general taxpayers can more easily donate to those causes because they don't have to foot the Notre Dame bill

No one is saying they can't donate to whatever they choose. People are lamenting at what they're choosing to donate to. Also if you have that much money to be donating you don't really need it. There's plenty that do though.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2019, 09:48:45 pm »
No one is saying they can't donate to whatever they choose. People are lamenting at what they're choosing to donate to. Also if you have that much money to be donating you don't really need it. There's plenty that do though.

Indeed yes. 

I don't think anybody is saying Notre Dame shouldn't be renovated; they're simply highlighting a long standing double standard at work.  It's also puts the issue on the table that, whilst many rich people might earn the money they have, they clearly have far more than they really need.  It's a stark reminder of just how much of the world's wealth is locked away from the vast majority of people left fighting over comparative scraps.

Now, with that said, I'm not sure this thread should descend into a social commentary on the issue.  Alan is, after all, quite correct in how it is vital for a cultural and artistic centre such as Notre Dame to be restored to the people.

Popcorn's Art