Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 485122 times)

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #12360 on: Today at 08:29:42 am »
It's really not.

Ancelotti whilst obviously a good coach/manager has had a pretty underwhelming managerial career when considering who he's managed, particularly domestically. He basically gets teams performing at around their natural level, which is ok for the likes of Real Madrid and AC Milan as that level is/was at the top. The Ancelotti we'd get is likely to be more akin to the Ancelotti Napoli had - hovering around 70-80 points every season whilst not really winning anything.

He was at AC Milan for 8 years and only won one league title. This despite them having an incredible team for the vast majority of that stint in charge. Prior to this he also had two seasons at Juventus and won nothing.

At Real Madrid, he's had 4 seasons in charge and only won 1 title (albeit soon to be 2 in 5).

Won titles for PSG, Chelsea and Bayern but 1) who couldn't and 2) he was sacked by all 3. Bayern in particular don't think too fondly of him.

Won fuck all at Everton which is quite frankly embarrassing given how big they are.

Given me some unknown/unproven excitement over what would in effect be a safe pair of hands any day.
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Fucking hell ...

:lmao
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12361 on: Today at 09:00:02 am »
It's a very Dutch trait, brutal honesty.

I don’t know if “brutal honesty” is what I would call it (that makes it sound like Harry Enfield’s Yorkshireman), more like a lack of a filter, but I agree it’s definitely a thing, whatever it is. I see it in my Dutch colleague all the time. It’s actually hilarious when you get used to it.

I don’t think Slot is being disrespectful to Feyenoord fans - he’s answered a question that was put to him, he didn’t come out and offer this unilaterally, and I don’t think he would have said it if the deal weren’t pretty much done (ie he has agreed terms with us, even if the clubs are still negotiating the compensation side of things).

From what Feyenoord fans are saying about him, it doesn’t sound like they hold it against him.

I remember Martin Jol being much the same at Spurs. Just didn’t give a shit. Also generally got his teams playing attacking football and overperforming. Had a terrible relationship with our old pal Comolli though. Let’s hope Arne and Hughes work together better than that.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12362 on: Today at 09:05:54 am »
Long but worthwhile read on Slot's early days coaching and his meticulous, if not obsessive, tactical preparation and coaching methods. Translated from a Dutch article.

Some interesting bits from that.

'He always wants to learn, to hear different and new views. It is one of the reasons Slot is in regular contact with Liverpool assistant Pepijn Lijnders'

Slot already thinks like a coach at a young age. He endlessly discussed game situations with players and trainers. His hobbyhorse is finishing with the inside of the foot. According to him, this is much more efficient than hard and less controlled shooting - only it looks more spectacular.
'

Here's hoping his 'hobbyhorse' gets into the head of Nunez. It'll take some work because I'm sure Klopp has given it his all too.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12363 on: Today at 09:07:04 am »
I do think it's a little weird how open he's being in the media, but I don't hate it. Don't think it comes across as desperate at all - he knows it's going to happen, it's not that he's concerned Feyenoord will say no. Suggests to me he's quite open and a straight talker. I guess with their league position secured, he doesn't feel the need to be shy about our interest.

I would have tried to find the positives in any manager we recruited. Don't think it was a great pool of candidates to be honest - when you look around Europe, the only one who definitely looked like they could be the next elite coach is Xabi but he didn't want the move. Loads of people got on board with Amorim, but I think that was mostly because he'd been linked for so long. It's like with transfers, if you're linked with a player long enough then everyone gets excited when it happens or disappointed when it doesn't. Won't pretend to know much about Slot at Feyenoord, but definitely not one of those who had never heard of him - remember reading up on him last summer when he almost went to Spurs. And although Spurs can be a basket case, I find that moderately encouraging - I like the manager they ended up with, so if Slot was the preferred candidate ahead of him then that bodes well to me.

His football looks good. The challenge will be whether he can make the step up in terms of managing an elite squad with big personalities. But as of now, I'm quite excited to see how he goes. And as I keep saying, I go into it with eyes wide open... I think any manager we recruited could have a short tenure, but that's the 'price' of having to follow a legendary manager like Jurgen.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #12364 on: Today at 09:07:28 am »
The anti-Slot brigade on here are making me feel ill. These rants will be getting copied and pasted over every one of our rivals websites. Embarrassing.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12365 on: Today at 09:08:33 am »

Can't say I'm not looking forward to us stop trying to cross in the air against grock teams like Everton, we used to dine out on cut backs.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12366 on: Today at 09:12:21 am »

Online Lomer

• Kemlynite
« Reply #12367 on: Today at 09:12:23 am »
Yes, sharing his opinion on the negotiations before they are over didn't sit well me as well, but I also think this is a typical Dutch honesty which may enter into rudeness territory sometimes. I hope he is a better diplomat with the players though as they would expect that after Klopp. The bare minimum is not to throw them under the bus after a bad performance.

That being said, I like what I hear about him, his career shows that he is punching above the resources at his disposal and we should give him our 100% support.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:15:30 am by Lomer »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12368 on: Today at 09:29:24 am »
I hope he is a better diplomat with the players though as they would expect that after Klopp. The bare minimum is not to throw them under the bus after a bad performance.

According to all accounts, he's 'beloved' of his players so I very much doubt he throws them under the bus. Klopp's diplomacy does not supersede his straightforwardness; many of the team, past and present, have said how much they value his honesty.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12369 on: Today at 09:31:58 am »
- Feyenoord have won possession in the final third more than any team in Europe's top five leagues, with Liverpool in second.

- The average distance (metres) from their own goal when winning possession in open play: Feyenoord 45.2m, Liverpool 44.6m.

- High turnovers: Liverpool 353, Feyenoord 344.

- Average possession in the league: Feyenoord 62 per cent, Liverpool 61 per cent.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #12370 on: Today at 09:32:58 am »
My Mrs is Dutch, and based on my experience with her I can confirm that the Dutch make terrible football managers.

I mean, she doesn't even understand the difference between the league and a knock out competition.
You try me once you beg for more.

Online Gerard00

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12371 on: Today at 09:45:45 am »
Where we are, with peps time surely coming to an end, wouldn't it be better to not take a risk and actually go for someone where there are very few questions? Ancelotti?

1. Its almost certain that its Slot now so talking about the potential of other managers is likely a waste of time.
2. Even though Ancelotti has another year what makes you think he'd drop everything and come to us? He's at quite possibly the best footballing club in the world who are looking likely to win another Champions league and league. Its just arrogance to think we have our pick of managers. 

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12372 on: Today at 09:50:59 am »
Obviously just a feeling but got bad "Martin Jol meets Brendan Rodgers" vibes about this guy. Respectful tact and diplomacy is a prerequisite for such a high profile role, and unfortunately he's stereotypically Dutch in this regard.

Already acting like a competition winner (which he is, let's be honest) doesn't bode well. Seems to enjoy the fact we're having to negotiate him out of his current contract with Feyenoord via a sizeable compensation fee. Van Dijk's shrugged opinion says it all "seems like one of the better Dutch coaches at the moment", talk about damning with faint praise.

Did I miss it, or has there been anything concrete (not baseless rumours from random sources regurgitated by Samie) as to why Amorim suddenly got dumped after a month of being the obvious media-briefed preferred candidate? His achievements with Sporting do seem superior in a more competitive and diverse league, and by all accounts, was talked of as being a "great communicator". Not that I care much after this past 9 seasons if I'm honest, but this eleventh-hour pivot to Feyenoord's Arne Slot with the obligatory puff pieces that's he absolutely the right man for the job, 6 months after Klopp handed in his notice, seems somewhat straw-clutching and desperate.

Easy to say in hindsight but with a vacuum above the manager, maybe John Henry should have pulled a Billy Beane approach and made Xabi Alonso an astronomical offer in Dec/Jan, take it or leave it, rather than let it drag out for 3 months allowing Bayern's PR machine to run amok and unsettle him into a U-turn. Timing is everything, as in life.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:17:18 am by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12373 on: Today at 09:56:59 am »
- Feyenoord have won possession in the final third more than any team in Europe's top five leagues, with Liverpool in second.

- The average distance (metres) from their own goal when winning possession in open play: Feyenoord 45.2m, Liverpool 44.6m.

- High turnovers: Liverpool 353, Feyenoord 344.

- Average possession in the league: Feyenoord 62 per cent, Liverpool 61 per cent.
Ah the "equivalent stats" comparisons, well that's me convinced then.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #12374 on: Today at 09:59:35 am »
God please let me get a ticket for that first home game.

It'll be like 300 on steroids. Slots Vs Nots.
Make that Atletico game under Rafa look like a legends charity game

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12375 on: Today at 09:59:54 am »
So who's going to tell Rossi that Kuyt is also joining in Slot's backroom staff or do we just wait for him to see Dirk doing rondos in Kirkby?

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12376 on: Today at 10:04:19 am »
Obviously just a feeling but got bad "Martin Jol meets Brendan Rodgers" vibes about this guy. Respectful tact and diplomacy is a prerequisite for such a high profile role, and unfortunately he's stereotypically Dutch in this regard.

Already acting like a competition winner (which he is, let's be honest) which doesn't bode well. Seems to enjoy the fact we're having to negotiate him out of his current contract with Feyenoord via a sizeable compensation fee. Van Dijk's shrugged opinion says it all "seems like one of the better Dutch coaches at the moment", talk about damning with faint praise.

Did I miss it, or has there been anything concrete (not baseless rumours from random sources regurgitated by Samie) as to why Amorim suddenly got dumped after a month of being the obvious media-briefed preferred candidate? His achievements with Sporting do seem superior in a more competitive and diverse league, and by all accounts, was talked of as being a "great communicator". Not that I care much after this past 9 seasons if I'm honest, but this eleventh-hour pivot to Feyenoord's Arne Slot with the obligatory puff pieces that's he absolutely the right man for the job, 6 months after Klopp handed in his notice, seems somewhat straw-clutching and desperate. Easy to say in hindsight but with a vacuum above the manager, maybe John Henry should have pulled a Billy Beane approach and made Xabi Alonso an astronomical offer in Dec/Jan, take it or leave it, rather than let it drag out for 3 months allowing Bayern's PR machine to run amok and unsettle him into a U-turn. Timing is everything, as in life.

We don't know the in's and out's of it but I said at the time they need to be throwing the kitchen sink at him and hope they did before any announcement to get him tied up, it doesn't seem like they did that so we were left with a waiting game which turned bad.

I agree the Amorim pivot was strange, but with him flying to West Ham there was clearly a move away from him for reasons we may never find out, I doubt very much that was him putting pressure on us in some kind of childish petulant move, I think by that stage we had let him know we were looking elsewhere. If it is because the set up with Hughes and co means no manager will have control and be handed players instead, that leaves a small pool of top managers that would agree to that anyway. Who knows maybe that was why Alonso turned us down too. It's all just a bit annoying really when we've seemingly missed out on the best two candidates in my eyes then gone for a very promising one instead, but one that may have ticked boxes for the set up rather than ticked boxes for pure talent. 

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12377 on: Today at 10:06:16 am »
His main task will be getting our players onboard. Fail to do that and he's gone before even starting. Having a few Dutch players will help a bit, as long as he isn't giving them preferential treatment. I admire his cojones in actually taking over after Klopp. He either has more about him than meets the eye or is just chancing his luck at this one shot which might never come again. We'll know soon enough after he takes over. It never takes long to see if managers can make it in the EPL and how far they can go.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #12378 on: Today at 10:06:43 am »
The anti-Slot brigade on here are making me feel ill. These rants will be getting copied and pasted over every one of our rivals websites. Embarrassing.

Not commented on him either side of the fence, I said "I am worried because I know nothing about him" but I just wanted to comment on this and sorry to come at you but... why the fuck do you care what rival fans think of us/RAWK? Like, people pick on whatever shit they want to bash us/other fanbases with.

Life is better when you stock caring what others/strangers think about you or you circle. Fuck that off.

Online smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12379 on: Today at 10:07:33 am »

If we're comparing him to bald Dutch managers, he definitely seems to be more Martin Jol than Erik Ten Hag. But that's not a bad thing at all in my book - Jol did well at Spurs. OK he didn't actually win anything there (they're Spurs, not winning anything is their MO) but he brought them up from mid-table mediocrities to consistently challenging for European places in the league. He was ultimately undone by a combination of Daniel Levy and dodgy lasagne, rather than by bad results.

In the case of both Rodgers and Jol, a lot of their problems were down to bad relationships with senior people at the club. Damien Comolli being a common factor. (Not saying Rodgers or Jol were blameless but the fact that the same person was instrumental in things turning sour in similar ways in both cases speaks volumes.)

Our current situation is very different. I'm optimistic we won't have similar problems this time round.

Van Dijk's shrugged opinion says it all "seems like one of the better Dutch coaches at the moment", talk about damning with faint praise.

To be honest, I'm surprised Virg even said that much given the circumstances in which he was asked the question.

Did I miss it, or has there been anything concrete (not baseless rumours from random sources regurgitated by Samie) as to why Amorim suddenly got dumped after a month of being the obvious media-briefed preferred candidate?

I thought the general view on this was that it was Portuguese sources who were pushing his name rather than anyone from our end, and in fact he was never a leading candidate.

...this eleventh-hour pivot...

This is speculation. The media being briefed about Slot has only started happening at the point when it seems to be close to a done deal. We don't know how long they've been looking at him behind the scenes. The fact that his name didn't come up sooner in this thread is more a sign that none of us know what we're talking about than evidence of desperation on the club's part.

Clearly he has been on the radar of a lot of big clubs for some time.

Timing is everything, as in life.

The timing of Jurgen announcing his departure couldn't have been much worse, considering we were still focusing on the hunt for a new DoF at the time. It feels to me that things are working out an awful lot better than they could have done.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:18:17 am by smutchin »

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12380 on: Today at 10:18:20 am »
His main task will be getting our players onboard. Fail to do that and he's gone before even starting. Having a few Dutch players will help a bit, as long as he isn't giving them preferential treatment. I admire his cojones in actually taking over after Klopp. He either has more about him than meets the eye or is just chancing his luck at this one shot which might never come again. We'll know soon enough after he takes over. It never takes long to see if managers can make it in the EPL and how far they can go.

He's just doing it for the Visa mate. Everyone wants to come to this rain-sodden, reality TV obsessed, Brexit banjoed island full of little Thatcherites, to meet the Queen King and taste jellied eels under the chime of the Bow bells, listening to tall tales of the glorious Empire and reading the poetry of opium addicted aristocrats and syphilis ridden fascists. Gawd bless merry old England. I'd stay in the EU, Arne.

We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12381 on: Today at 10:20:58 am »
The public comments dont sit comfortable with me but again, maybe its a dutch thing.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #12382 on: Today at 10:21:48 am »

To be honest, I'm surprised Virg even said that much given the circumstances in which he was asked the question.

Honestly bit weird he phrased it like that
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12383 on: Today at 10:23:32 am »
So who's going to tell Rossi that Kuyt is also joining in Slot's backroom staff or do we just wait for him to see Dirk doing rondos in Kirkby?
Never happening mate, 6 seasons, I don't deserve to suffer any more.

Kuyt in a rondo? There's spaniels and tennis balls on Formby beach with better close control in a tighter space.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12384 on: Today at 10:25:03 am »
Honestly bit weird he phrased it like that
All he had to say was "I'm just the captain, I don't want to comment on the club's business especially when nothing is confirmed" or words to that effect.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12385 on: Today at 10:25:04 am »
Who wants to guess headlines after our first competitive game?

If we win? "New Look Reds Slot Right In!"

If we lose? "Slots Reds Shot!"

Online Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12386 on: Today at 10:28:13 am »
I don’t know if “brutal honesty” is what I would call it (that makes it sound like Harry Enfield’s Yorkshireman), more like a lack of a filter, but I agree it’s definitely a thing, whatever it is. I see it in my Dutch colleague all the time. It’s actually hilarious when you get used to it.
It's a distinctively Dutch trait. Coming from the Dutch-speaking region of Belgium, I share their language but find that they are entirely different people.

The Dutch are known for their bluntness—a directness in communication that often mirrors their total disregard for hierarchy. This approach can be quite impressive at times, as it fosters a level of openness and straightforwardness not commonly seen in other cultures.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington