Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4176850 times)

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #65760 on: March 14, 2021, 08:54:25 am »
66 is very young these days.

The greatest middleweight of all-time, and one of the greatest fighters ever.  Also, a highly avoided one (not surprisingly).

The fight with Hearns is legendary.  Was truly a golden age for boxing.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #65761 on: March 14, 2021, 09:07:06 am »
RIP Marvellous Marvin Hagler.

What a fighter, as complete a fighter as you will ever see, a machine..a proper machine.
A sad loss to the boxing world.

Deserves a thread of his own.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online jedimaster

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #65762 on: March 14, 2021, 09:22:53 am »
One of the best ever. RIP Marvin
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Offline "Bobber" Thanks :)

• But Hicks Is Still A Wanker
  • Kopite
« Reply #65763 on: March 14, 2021, 09:35:22 am »
Remember watching the Hagler/Leonard fight when I was young and just thought what an exciting warrior of a fighter Hagler was and he became probably my favourite boxer of all time. I was too young to understand he was robbed in that fight at the time, but when I was older, it pissed me off big time.

Offline jimbo196843

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #65764 on: March 14, 2021, 09:50:27 am »
Met him at a sportsman’s dinner in Rochdale must have been mid 90’s.
Looked fit as a fiddle then and he’d been retired 10 years.
Best middleweight ever for me, never ducked anyone.
RIP Marvellous Marvin

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #65765 on: March 14, 2021, 10:01:55 am »
Shocking news.

RIP MMH
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #65766 on: March 14, 2021, 10:18:24 am »
RIP :(

Not a massive boxing fan but he’s a legendary sportsman for anyone of a certain age.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #65767 on: March 14, 2021, 10:23:21 am »
Remember watching the Hagler/Leonard fight when I was young and just thought what an exciting warrior of a fighter Hagler was and he became probably my favourite boxer of all time. I was too young to understand he was robbed in that fight at the time, but when I was older, it pissed me off big time.

I don't quite think he was robbed in the fight, it was really close. Lockdown 1 quite a few of us watched and scored controversial fights like that on this thread. Have a look at the comments from here on in.

Online Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65768 on: March 14, 2021, 12:50:49 pm »
No, I don't think he was robbed in the Leonard fight, made to miss an awful lot, and Leonard did all the fancy work that the judges were obviously impressed by

Nevertheless, a tremendous fighter in the true sense of the word, some titanic battles with Hearns/Duran and Leonard - Personally for me the best era of boxing at any weight

RIP to a true great, 66 no age as others have said
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
« Reply #65769 on: March 14, 2021, 01:15:40 pm »
Wow... RIP.. i was just watcing this just the other night  :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL2a2-8OHdg
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65770 on: March 14, 2021, 01:36:11 pm »
I don't quite think he was robbed in the fight, it was really close. Lockdown 1 quite a few of us watched and scored controversial fights like that on this thread. Have a look at the comments from here on in.

Only moi had Hagler winning you philistines.  :wanker

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #65771 on: March 14, 2021, 01:41:37 pm »
A true great in every sense of the word. RIP Marvin, what a legacy you leave behind.

• Kopite
« Reply #65772 on: March 14, 2021, 02:06:02 pm »

Yes you’re right, robbed is a bit strong, I seem to have it permanently burned into my head that he was robbed, but it’s not actually that clear cut. I last watched the fight about 4 years ago

* thanks the link, interesting reading other people’s views on it
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 02:14:41 pm by Layer 2 »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65773 on: March 14, 2021, 02:18:23 pm »
Yes you’re right, robbed is a bit strong, I seem to have it permanently burned into my head that he was robbed, but it’s not actually that clear cut. I last watched the fight about 4 years ago

* thanks the link, interesting reading other people’s views on it
It's one of those where there was a scorecard for Leonard that was so bad that it feeds the narrative he was robbed.

So much so that I was still convinced he was robbed this morning until I followed Welshred's link and read my own post from last year's watchalong ;D

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #65774 on: March 14, 2021, 02:28:18 pm »
RIP to an ATG  :(

I had him beating Leonard in a close one, and this is coming from a huge SRL fan. I wouldn't pick any middleweight in history to beat a prime Hagler, not even Monzon, though that is one of my dream mythical matchups.

Hearns messing up his hand early in the fight robbed us of a few more rounds of chaos in that fight, but you'll struggle to ever see a better opening round.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65775 on: March 14, 2021, 02:28:58 pm »
Dickheads the lot of you.  :D

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65776 on: March 14, 2021, 02:29:34 pm »
Dickheads the lot of you.  :D
;D ;D ;D

Incidentally, Estrada beat Chocoalatito on points in what was apparently a great and close fight. Not had the chance to see it yet but sounds like one worth watching.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65777 on: March 14, 2021, 02:30:34 pm »
Including you dickhead. Where were you during the summer when I was going into bat for Hagler in the Hagler v Leonard rewatch? :wanker

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65778 on: March 14, 2021, 02:31:40 pm »
Including you dickhead. Where were you during the summer when I was going into bat for Hagler in the Hagler v Leonard rewatch? :wanker
Working probably. Kebabs are expensive mate  :lickin

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65779 on: March 14, 2021, 02:37:55 pm »
Let you off then.  :D

When Buffer announced the news last night for a DAZN card in Texas. A 10-count in honor of the late, great Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

https://twitter.com/DAZNBoxing/status/1370960478940368898

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #65780 on: March 14, 2021, 02:44:51 pm »
One of the greats of boxing.

RIP Marvin
#JFT97

• Kopite
« Reply #65781 on: March 14, 2021, 02:57:16 pm »
It's one of those where there was a scorecard for Leonard that was so bad that it feeds the narrative he was robbed.

So much so that I was still convinced he was robbed this morning until I followed Welshred's link and read my own post from last year's watchalong ;D

I’d have to watch the fight again to score the rounds, but reading your post from last year as well as the others, I’d agree with the consensus about how the fight was won and lost. SRL was sneaky clever doing the flashy shit at the end of each round to influence the scores, I think that along with that one score card meant for me, my memory of Hagler being robbed, comes from believing that a draw would have been fair as he at least didn’t deserve to lose.

RIP anyway, one of my earliest sporting hero’s
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 03:06:20 pm by Layer 2 »

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65782 on: March 14, 2021, 05:00:18 pm »
RIP Marvin. A true legend from the golden age of boxing.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65783 on: March 14, 2021, 05:35:55 pm »
Photo say's it all about that night.

Offline jimbo196843

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #65784 on: March 14, 2021, 05:43:30 pm »

Great story from Emanuel Steward about  that night.
Basically Hearns brother sold his tickets for the fight so couldn’t get in. Steward goes to get him past security and when he comes back Hearns is getting a leg massage from one of his entourage.
Steward said he knew that would be a problem, even though Hagler would still have had too much for him.

Online dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #65785 on: March 14, 2021, 08:09:10 pm »

I'll never get tired of watching that fight, absolute classic!

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65786 on: March 14, 2021, 08:54:53 pm »
Ok, so my thoughts on the fight. Firstly it was fcking fantastic action. That big old ring and making it 12 rounds were masterstrokes from Leonard although Hagler was dog tired himself.I found this quite difficult to score and gave 4 even rounds which is unheard of for me, never been this indecisive. Leonard's shoeshining is GOAT level but they land so the fact they didn't seem to hurt Hagler is neither here nor there.

My scorecard

1. Hagler 9 Leonard 10
2. Hagler 9 Leonard 10
3. Hagler 10 Leonard 10
4. Hagler 9 Leonard 10
5. Hagler 10 Leonard 9
6. Hagler 9 Leonard 10
7. Hagler 10 Leonard 9
8. Hagler 10 Leonard 9
9  Hagler 10 Leonard 10
10. Hagler 10 Leonard 10
11. Hagler 9 Leonard 10
12. Hagler 10 Leonard 10

Hagler 115 Leonard 117

This is how I had the fight. It was a great watch. I have little doubt Hagler would have figured it out in rematch but after getting dicked about for too long he decided to retire and stay retired which is good fir him. What a fighter

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65787 on: March 15, 2021, 03:14:05 pm »
Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury for the Undisputed WBA, WBC, IBF & WBO Heavyweight championship of the world is now SIGNED, according to Eddie Hearn. Promoters will next look to finalise a site deal and announce date/venue in coming weeks. [@ESPN]

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65788 on: March 15, 2021, 03:18:42 pm »
MBS on Zoom call with Hearn and Arum.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #65789 on: March 15, 2021, 04:25:35 pm »
Incredibly disappointing if this fight is in Saudi Arabia for more reasons than I can count.

Surely they don't even need the money, PPV buy ins are going to be crazy.
:D

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65790 on: March 15, 2021, 05:15:25 pm »
Incredibly disappointing if this fight is in Saudi Arabia for more reasons than I can count.

Surely they don't even need the money, PPV buy ins are going to be crazy.

It won't be in England unless it can be a Wembley will 80k plus fans 100% allowed in. The rematch might be.

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65791 on: March 16, 2021, 11:48:16 am »
Watched a couple of the boxing documentaries on Sky over the last few days. The Sonny Liston documentary is so heartbreaking. His life, career and death shrouded in mystery and tragic circumstances. Seemed a nice guy that was the product of a broken home and poverty which paved the way for the life he had. Interesting shouts on the Ali fight being fixed, not sure what the opinion on here is regarding that? Cant help but feel for the guy, life dealt him a cruel hand.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #65792 on: March 16, 2021, 12:30:35 pm »
watched the Bruno vs Tyson documentry yesterday. Frank should have retiered after becoming champion, but the chance to defeat Tyson and no doubt a big payday was to great to turn down.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65793 on: March 16, 2021, 06:48:19 pm »
Apparently Floyd Mayweather and his crew are joining up with AJ  for his training camp.   :D

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #65794 on: March 16, 2021, 10:16:50 pm »
watched the Bruno vs Tyson documentry yesterday. Frank should have retiered after becoming champion, but the chance to defeat Tyson and no doubt a big payday was to great to turn down.

I was a bit disappointed with it to be honest. I never really saw Bruno & Tyson as big rivals and it was more a documentary about Bruno with a cameo from Iron Mike at the end.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65795 on: March 16, 2021, 11:32:01 pm »
They never were.  ;D

The List documentary is great. So much trouble and heartache attached to that man.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #65796 on: March 17, 2021, 02:50:13 am »

Bruno should probably have retired before he became champion though. He was one of those boxers who was talented but simply didn't know how to react when he was hit. Go down, grab hold, come out swinging. Frank done none of those he was like a deer in the headlights when he was hit.

The big difference was that in the 2nd fight he had already taken a dig from Tyson.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #65797 on: March 17, 2021, 08:27:33 pm »
Bruno is underrated by a lot of people, he only got beaten by top fighters. Tim Witherspoon had too much experience at that time and Bonecrusher was capable of ko'ing anyone but he gave Lennox big problems for a long while at Cardiff while Tyson was just too good for him. I was made up when he beat McCall, he deserved it.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65798 on: March 18, 2021, 02:05:39 pm »
I watched this the other day, such a good video.

8:14 Mercer's KO of Tommy Morrison is the most frightening thing i've ever seen in a boxing ring, wow. :o

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GF2jfzBaDWo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GF2jfzBaDWo</a>

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65799 on: March 19, 2021, 09:11:47 pm »
Chisora v Parker on 1st May.

Bivol, Eubank Jnr are on the bill.