Author Topic: Michael Owen LFC International Ambassador  (Read 51050 times)

Offline QC

• rawks Lionel Hutz, ambulance chaser.Sucks up to the wrong type of Mod.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Michael Owen LFC International Ambassador
« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2016, 06:58:50 am »
Owen came through the academy and fucked off for peanuts at the start of a new era when we were in the Champions League. He said he'd celebrate in front of the Kop in a United shirt and there's footage of him going "oh for fucks sake" when Coutinho scored at OT. Nothing wrong with any of that, he can do what he wants. But he shouldn't have anything more to do with the club.

Suarez had no affinity with the club whatsoever and we weren't even in Europe when he wanted to leave, when he was quite clearly one of the five best players in the world. He's had nothing but positive things to say about us since leaving and left in no bad circumstances.

Different players, different criteria for judging them.

link?

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2016, 07:07:01 am »
I can visualise the suits who actually decided to appoint him in this role as being the kind of "people" who would flick through that brochure of his, and not be doubled over in a fit of Partridge/Brent/Tim&Eric-esque cringe hilarity, but rather would admire the first-class glossy finish of the pages, nice clean font, and overall alignment with the brand values we seek to project as part of our global commercial strategy moving ahead.

They may or may not have once run a failed startup named Digitas or Excellius PR. Squash sometime? Call me; here's my card. Eggshell with Romalian type.

"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:37 am »
Another gaff by the club.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #243 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:41 am »
Just when things are going remarkably well on the pitch - no worries there - the club come up with another weird out of touch decision like this.

Now that does worry me. That Liverpool FC can be so out of touch with its fan base especially at a time when the importance of the fans contribution to our success is being emphasized by the manager is baffling.

Very much against this appointment I'm afraid. I'm sorry but when I think "Michael Owen" I just don't think "Liverpool".

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #244 on: April 22, 2016, 07:53:14 am »
Even when he turns up in Malaysia fans are going to asking why the fuck is he here. :o

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2016, 07:53:35 am »
Club are so out of touch with the fan base at times. Despise the scum reading manc twat.
I don't despise him, life's too short and I never met the man.

But the first point is very valid.

Do they not know who means what to the supporters. There are hundeds of candidates. Why him?

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2016, 07:53:49 am »
Honest question, what will this actually involve him doing?  We've got other ambassador's haven't we and I never really hear of them doing anything other than turning up at events in a Liverpool shirt.

I really don't care about this news and don't think it's anything to get worked up about. He's not there for the loyal supporters of the club, he won't be on the bench on match days, he'll be out at community events where no doubt a lot of kids or foreign supporters will be pretty excited to see Michael Owen. Clearly we think it's a good move for the club,  so that'll do me and let's be fair we probably won't hear another thing about it for the next few years.

I think our new manager has a very refreshing outlook on players moving on. I was as pissed off as anyone at Owen going and then later losing the likes of Alonso,  Suarez,  Torres, Mascherano all of which didn't leave in the best of circumstances. But Klopps attitude at Dortmund and here as well will be if you don't want to be here then that's fine, it's not going to work out, good look in the future and we'll be fine without you. As we were when Owen left us and we won big ears again. No point being bitter forever and if these players can do something in future to help the club then why burn bridges.

Raheem Sterling being the exception, the despicable little shit ;D

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #247 on: April 22, 2016, 07:58:38 am »
I can visualise the suits who actually decided to appoint him in this role as being the kind of "people" who would flick through that brochure of his, and not be doubled over in a fit of Partridge/Brent/Tim&Eric-esque cringe hilarity, but rather would admire the first-class glossy finish of the pages, nice clean font, and overall alignment with the brand values we seek to project as part of our global commercial strategy moving ahead.

They may or may not have once run a failed startup named Digitas or Excellius PR. Squash sometime? Call me; here's my card. Eggshell with Romalian type.

haha

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2016, 08:00:38 am »
Honest question, what will this actually involve him doing?
He'll be in videos for us like this, I hope:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YviYufXRw0g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YviYufXRw0g</a>

"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: April 22, 2016, 08:07:26 am »
“As they say, if you can’t beat them, join them,” - Michael Owen (May 2011)
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2016, 08:16:53 am »
What we should do is tell him we are thinking about offering him a 5 year deal on 4m a year but then be unavailable for 12 months for a further meeting until we offer the role to Stevie.

He spent the second half of his career letting us down and thinking of number one which is absolutely his entitlement. However, becoming a club ambassador is rich.

Offline leiva-pool

• Anny Roader
« Reply #251 on: April 22, 2016, 08:21:43 am »
What kind of a fan would want to engage with him?

He'll get plenty of hate and deservedly so.
Gary Neville is a c*nt - FACT!!!

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #252 on: April 22, 2016, 08:22:25 am »
The reality is that players will leave - what rankles is that he went to the Mancs, our biggest rival, our nemesis if you will, that is why he is so reviled.

No other club is as reviled by us, not the Bitters or the Plastics.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #253 on: April 22, 2016, 08:50:19 am »
Makes me laugh those who are sympathetic to his appointment.

Yeah he fucked us over,i can handle him leaving the way he did etc..

Signing for the mancs,different story..just cast your memory back to our games this term vs them shower of shite fans he signed & celebrated with,maybe you'll be less sympathetic-maybe you'll cast it aside & continue your love-in with MO.

Nah,not for me..each to their own.

Like its already been stated here,some just dont get it.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #254 on: April 22, 2016, 08:59:33 am »
What a completely out of touch appointment, whoever okayed this is an absolute muppet. I could almost forgive him for going to Madrid, but going to the Mancs who chant "murderers" at us? Sorry but that is unforgivable, he's a manc twat now and should have nothing to do with this club. There are so many legends to choose from and Owen is the best they could come up with?
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #255 on: April 22, 2016, 09:05:56 am »
I'll give him a break but not an ambassadorial role, I just don't see him as the face of Liverpool. I don't think you'd see Manchester United giving Carlos Tevez a similiar role.

I don't really see Carlos Tevez being the face of anything.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: April 22, 2016, 09:10:35 am »
“As they say, if you can’t beat them, join them,” - Michael Owen (May 2011)

yep.. summarize well the man.. Who decides which person should be appointed ambassador? That shit-stick Ayre?

Well, looking forward to see them both gone..
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2016, 09:14:39 am »

;D

Offline Arrowsmith

• Anny Roader
  • Eee aye addio, we've won the cup!
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2016, 09:15:36 am »
As the bloke would say himself, "Not for me, Clive"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRok4RKVXm8
Wool by birth, Scouse by blood.
JFT97

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: April 22, 2016, 09:24:22 am »
link?

https://twitter.com/jay_castley/status/710859291826262018

;D

The utter bastard legged it from the commentary box into The Stretford End.

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #260 on: April 22, 2016, 09:33:36 am »
https://twitter.com/jay_castley/status/710859291826262018

;D

The utter bastard legged it from the commentary box into The Stretford End.

Well ain't that special!!

Makes a fucking mug of those who think its ok he is our ambassador.

Worthy of a thread on its own,sticky'd too.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #261 on: April 22, 2016, 09:38:38 am »
Well ain't that special!!

Makes a fucking mug of those who think its ok he is our ambassador.

Worthy of a thread on its own,sticky'd too.
Wasn't he commentating on the game on BT sports?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: April 22, 2016, 09:41:14 am »
bollocks

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: April 22, 2016, 09:41:25 am »
Wasn't he commentating on the game on BT sports?

Yeah. That makes it worse in my opinion, he's off in the Stretford end when he's been paid to work for BT. Not a good work ethic really, can we trust him to be doing promotional work for us when abroad? Or is he going to nipping off to the races behind our backs?

Offline fid1892

• Main Stander
« Reply #264 on: April 22, 2016, 09:44:26 am »
Exactly. He was an excellent player, but all in all a mercenary. I don't think he's said anything that's out of order to disparage the club (I know there's been mentions of kissing the United badge, and saying 'Fucks sake' when Coutinho scored at OT but I'm taking those with a pinch of salt until I see them), and I can see why he made those transfers. The United move came at a time when he didn't look like he was going to get a chance at the very top again, and the Madrid transfer was an opportunity to play alongside the likes of Figo, Ronaldo, Graveson and Zidane. But saying that, both moves showed that he didn't have any deep underlying loyalty to Liverpool in particular.  And that's why I agree he's a poor choice as an ambassador to 'sell' our club.

I can't believe this hasn't been picked up earlier .....  :lickin

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #265 on: April 22, 2016, 09:47:07 am »
Yeah. That makes it worse in my opinion, he's off in the Stretford end when he's been paid to work for BT. Not a good work ethic really, can we trust him to be doing promotional work for us when abroad? Or is he going to nipping off to the races behind our backs?
Surprised he didn't pull a hamstring when running to the Stretford End..........
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline lordcisse

• Kopite
« Reply #266 on: April 22, 2016, 10:53:34 am »
i hope this involves some sort of announcement or him coming on the pitch at half time so we can let them know what we think about it.

Offline singred123

• Boys Pen
« Reply #267 on: April 22, 2016, 10:55:59 am »
Just when things are going remarkably well on the pitch - no worries there - the club come up with another weird out of touch decision like this.

Now that does worry me. That Liverpool FC can be so out of touch with its fan base especially at a time when the importance of the fans contribution to our success is being emphasized by the manager is baffling.

Very much against this appointment I'm afraid. I'm sorry but when I think "Michael Owen" I just don't think "Liverpool".

What a completely out of touch appointment, whoever okayed this is an absolute muppet. I could almost forgive him for going to Madrid, but going to the Mancs who chant "murderers" at us? Sorry but that is unforgivable, he's a manc twat now and should have nothing to do with this club. There are so many legends to choose from and Owen is the best they could come up with?

my exact sentiments

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #268 on: April 22, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
Bizarre decision to say the least.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #269 on: April 22, 2016, 10:57:41 am »
How about approaching Kevin Keegan first before the rat?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: April 22, 2016, 11:06:29 am »
This new role will see the former Liverpool striker engaging with fans around the world and representing the club at various fan and commercial events.

He'll have fuck all to do with the fans. It'll be to engage in commercial opportunities, where they just need someone with some media experience, who'll smile and say nice things, be able to hold a civil and intelligible conversation with corporate types, and not rock the boat or say anything remotely controversial. Someone who'll turn up on time and just be pleasantly dull. It's probably a more savvy appointment than people realise.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:08:37 am by kennedy81 »

Offline jsl2000

• Main Stander
« Reply #271 on: April 22, 2016, 11:10:43 am »
I don't really see Carlos Tevez being the face of anything.

A safety campaign?

Online redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #272 on: April 22, 2016, 11:24:27 am »
.... And as for the Man Utd nonsense.... Yes it was stupid but from a professional point of view he was a decorated international elite level player who from what I recall had a choice at the time between joining Man Utd the league champions or Stoke City, its really not that hard to understand why he chose who he chose. His career was fucked as soon as he left us, he missed the biggest night of all in Istanbul and ended up injured at fucking Newcastle for years. FFS give the lad a break its quite clear who had the last laugh

Owen is having the last laugh.

I'd give him a break alright...

Your post is as bad your performance in that 74 Cup Final by the way.
We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: April 22, 2016, 11:27:18 am »
He'll have fuck all to do with the fans. It'll be to engage in commercial opportunities, where they just need someone with some media experience, who'll smile and say nice things, be able to hold a civil and intelligible conversation with corporate types, and not rock the boat or say anything remotely controversial. Someone who'll turn up on time and just be pleasantly dull. It's probably a more savvy appointment than people realise.

Yeah but. When. You... Speak like...this...you may have. Issues
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: April 22, 2016, 12:25:21 pm »
The hate's kinda simmered down now, you can't totally unlove someone really and he was a hero to many of us of that generation, but the key bit here is just how did the club arrive at this? It's not a big issue obviously but it smacks of a fundamental lack of connection with the fanbase. Playing for Utd / Everton after us should simply disqualify you from stuff like this, it's not that controversial a code is it.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2016, 12:39:16 pm »
I don''t think that there's that much hatred left for the guy. I think it's indifference from most of us. It's a totally inappropriate dumb decision from the club to appoint the bloke in the first place. He was a good player who served us and moved on. He never had any great loyalty to the club and therefore he is not a suitable ambassador. I wish him well but that's it. Do we not have any better potential ambassadors from our ex-player network? 
I can just imagine him turning up at an event in Jakarta or Singapore with the locals scratching their heads and saying, "why are Liverpool represented by an Man Utd. player?".  I don't reckon he's actually that famous as a Liverpool icon.  Baffling decision by the suits. One would have thought that someone this side of the pond might have actually twigged ...but then again

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2016, 01:11:49 pm »
Seriously?

Suarez didn't run down his contract and leave for a fraction of his worth. In fact he signed a new one that enabled us to collect the highest fee we've ever received for a player.
Suarez didn't come through our academy, had no prior connection to the club and left to live in the city where his wife's family live.
Suarez didn't sign for Manchester fucking United.

Well put!
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline stonty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2016, 01:31:50 pm »
Another administrative fuck up, ... Jesus wept, .. our "powers that be" sure know how to get things completely wrong at times
ffs

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2016, 01:44:33 pm »
Like picking Freddy Krueger as your proctologist.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline zx12arrgh

• Main Stander
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2016, 01:48:45 pm »
Whiskey nose loving, two faced, money grabbing little c*nt........what's not to like!