Author Topic: Southampton v Liverpool - St Mary's Stadium, 7:45 kick off Tuesday 17th May  (Read 17597 times)

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account

Sorry but this is going to be short and sweet and it's a bit rushed, hope it's OK if not up to the usual standard

Kick off 7:45pm
Referee: Martin Atkinson.
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Richard West.
Fourth official: David Coote.
VAR: Stuart Attwell.
Assistant VAR: Adam Nunn.

I had hoped to be writing this with us having already confirmed our 20th League title but whilst that hasn't happened (yet), thanks to West Ham's draw with Manchester City yesterday, the fight for the title and the Quadruple (there I've said it) is very much still on.

We have to, of course, win this game, less than 72 hours after a gruelling FA Cup Final win against Chelsea and Jurgen will have to dig deep into the depths of his squad in order to ensure we remain fresh and a few niggling injuries to key players won't help that.  Fabinho, Virgil and Mo will miss this game you would think, possibly Robbo too and think we may see a few surprises in the starting line up.

History

We have a good record against Southampton

Games won:
Games drawn: 25
Games lost: 31

We have won 7 out of our last 8 games against them, the only blemish being the 1-0 reverse at St Mary's in front of no fans when the Southampton Manager, wee Ralphi Hasenhüttl broke down in tears and wept like a baby

We didn't actually beat Southampton away from Anfield until the 1966/67 season, when goals from Ian St John and Ian Callaghan sealed a 1-2 victory for the men in red at The Dell.  It wasn't as bad as it sounds as we didn't used to play Southampton that much.  It was victory at the 7th time of asking, a couple of 0-0 draws in the FA Cup (we won the replays!) being our best efforts apart up until then.

There have been some memorable wins against Southampton in the past, 5-0 at Anfield in the 1982/83 season on the way to another League Title in Bob Paisley's final year as the boss (a year that Manchester City were relegated :D ), we beat them 7-1 at Anfield in the 1998/99 season and our best win at Southampton was in the League Cup a couple of month's into the boss' reign after Sadio had opened the scoring (for Southampton) in the first minute, we came back and battered them 6-1 thanks to a current Liverpool player getting a hattrick, that man Divock Origi!  More of the same tomorrow please!

and talking of tomorrow.....

I think we'll start with

Alisson

Gomez
Konate
Matip
Tsmikas

Jones
Milner
Oxlade-Chamberlain

Diaz / Jota
Bobby
Origi

None of the players, aside from Konate and Alisson will have played the full 120 minutes on Saturday, Ox hasn't played for a while though so maybe he won't go with him but due to the minutes in the legs and the injury to Fab we are a bit limited.  Maybe Harvey Elliott gets a look in here but doubt he would play with Jones too but you never know.

Whatever team the boss picks is good enough for me and we have to balance the outside possibility of a League title with ensuring the players are as well rested as possible for a shot at no 7!

Go Redmen, it's still on....

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 05:27:52 pm by Wabaloolah »
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Usman1987

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Thanks for the write up. Think Klopp will go stronger than what you suggest. Don’t see both full backs sitting it out.
I would say it will be

Alison

Trent
Matip
Vvd
Kostas

Milner
Keita
Thiago

Diaz
Mane
Jota

Offline JohnSullie

• van, missing in burma, any news contact Dave, Grace n' Terry
  • Legacy Fan
Every time we play Southampton away I just think of Barnes in 1996, great right up :

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Thanks for the write up. Think Klopp will go stronger than what you suggest. Don’t see both full backs sitting it out.
I would say it will be

Alison

Trent
Matip
Vvd
Kostas

Milner
Keita
Thiago

Diaz
Mane
Jota
I'll be amazed if Virgil is risked and can't see Thiago playing, maybe Keita will be the third as he didn't play the full 120
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
I think this is genuinely going to be the hardest team selection of Klopp's career. Absolutely no clue how he is going to sort this out. If it was me based on the players who played 120 mins on Sat and/or limped off, I'd end up going something like this:

Alisson

Gomez    Matip      Konate   Tsimikas

AOC        Milner       Jones

Minamino   Firmino    Jota

Mane, Diaz, Henderson, Thiago - playing any of these will be a massive risk considering all 4 would be guaranteed to start the CL final.

At least we don't need to worry about GD - any win is as good as any.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
Hopefully loads of changes. I know some will want every one of our best names playing but that doesn't necessarily mean the best team. Fabinho is one of our best names but the exhausted version was more of a hindrance than help at Villa then got injured to top it off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Arise Sir Divock, your last assignment beckons.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
              Ali
Gomez Matip Konate Tsimikas
      Keita Milner Jones
    Elliott  Firmino  Origi   

Or something like that... Maybe Jota can start.. or maybe he asks Mane to do 45 and Diaz to do 45 but they've played a huge amount of football lately
Suspect we start something like this team and have the big guns on the bench if needed 

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've never seen us win at St Marys so even if I got offered a ticket I'd refuse it.

I'll take a very scruffy 1-0 win - GD means nothing now unless we draw, so just get the 3pts please redmen.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan

That'll do pig.

;)

Offline G1-tiga

• Kopite
Thanks for the OP. Everything is mad in the Liverpool world right now so I can't imagine it was easy finding time!

Here we go then, final two league games with the Premier league not out of sight yet. I think this'll be tough though, teams like being in the narrative and Southampton will want to give that a go.

Oddly enough, I saw these against Burnley 4 weeks ago (Wife is from there and her brother got me a ticket) and they were absolutely dreadful that night. Got absolutely ran by Cornet and Jack Cork controlled the midfield exceptionally.

That, with the utmost respect, was Burnley. We are very much not Burnley.

Hard game but I'll go with Liverpool to win 2-0.

Let's take this to the final day!  :D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Who plays the holding role if Henderson gets a rest, Milner?

Midfield will be stretched for this one, might see 4231 as we have a few attacking options.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Southampton have been in rubbish form, bar a random win over Arsenal. In normal circumstances you'd expect us to deal with this comfortably, but I think the recent extertions coupled with the quick turnaround time from Saturday - and some potential absences - make it much trickier.

Pain in the arse that the Europa League final is Wednesday, because an extra 24 hours recovery would make all the difference here.

Ali
      Keita Milner Jones
    Elliott  Firmino  Origi   

Going to have to be something along those lines. Bringing Elliott in out of the cold feels a bit unlikely, I think it'll be Jota in the front three with Firmino and Origi and then Mane, Diaz and hopefully Salah on the bench. Think he might try and get Hendo on the pitch if it looks like Fabinho could come in next Sunday, presume the confidence around the CL final means he'll be returning quite quickly.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
              Ali
      Keita Milner Jones
    Elliott  Firmino  Origi   

Or something like that... Maybe Jota can start.. or maybe he asks Mane to do 45 and Diaz to do 45 but they've played a huge amount of football lately
Suspect we start something like this team and have the big guns on the bench if needed 

I think the team needs to be something like this.

Elliott or Origi could be swapped with Minamino, AOC or potentially Jota/Diaz.

Not sure we'll see any of Trent, Robertson, Thiago, Henderson or Mane starting. Maybe some of them on the bench. Fabinho, Salah and VvD won't be in the squad for obvious reasons.

Get the win and then, at worst, use Wolves as a warm up to the CL final. At best it could be an amazing day next Sunday. Got to get the win tomorrow night 1st though.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

No....there is another.....
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
              Ali
      Keita Milner Jones
    Elliott  Firmino  Origi   

Sounds about right but I reckon Jota will start for Elliott.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
No....there is another.....

Its made for him isn't it? Maybe even another two.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for the op wab… I hadn’t realised it was 745 so thanks for that also. I think Taki deserves a run tomorrow and think we will have a majorly strong bench. These are not good and it is pretty meaningless for them so I predict a win by three at least if our finishing is on it.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Sounds about right but I reckon Jota will start for Elliott.

Yeah Jota can probably start …. I’m not sure about Firmino to be honest, he didn’t look fit/on it when he came on yesterday

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
I’m not sure about Firmino to be honest, he didn’t look fit/on it when he came on yesterday

Correct but how are we supposed to resolve that? At this stage there is no guarantee Salah will be fit for the CL final so I would like a fit and at-it Firmino available before then. I'd like to see him get at least 30 mins tonight, if not start and get 60, and also to start on Sunday at Wolves.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah Jota can probably start …. I’m not sure about Firmino to be honest, he didn’t look fit/on it when he came on yesterday

He's one that takes many games - so we need to play him tomorrow.

Mind that we need a win of any sort.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Midfield will be stretched for this one, might see 4231 as we have a few attacking options.

Did Milner play there against Newcastle? Can’t remember now.

Southampton games are so hard to predict. They can be awful, and they can be a handful. Going to be hard for the players, not because they won’t be up for it, but to mentally be ready to go again after Saturday. Although City’s result should help focus the mind I guess.

Confident some of our less used players can still do the job here and hopefully we can still get a few of the cavalry on the bench should they be needed.

Win this and we have another final day battle on our hands. Incredible really.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp saying Fabinho won't be involved tomorrow but progressing 'very well'. I reckon he might be able to play Sunday, in which case Hendo at 6 tomorrow could be an option.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Did Milner play there against Newcastle? Can’t remember now.

Southampton games are so hard to predict. They can be awful, and they can be a handful. Going to be hard for the players, not because they won’t be up for it, but to mentally be ready to go again after Saturday. Although City’s result should help focus the mind I guess.

Confident some of our less used players can still do the job here and hopefully we can still get a few of the cavalry on the bench should they be needed.

Win this and we have another final day battle on our hands. Incredible really.
I don’t think it will be hard for our lads simply because we keep winning. Yes, the weekends game will probably at some point take it’s toll on the lads but mentally they’ll be on such a high. We’ve just won our second trophy of the season, need a win here to take the title race down to the wire and then of course there is the Final on the 28th. So much to play for and a chance for the lads to enter the history books and we have an opportunity for our squad players to make a case for themselves for these last few games, so plenty of inspiration for our lads against a team that has nothing to play for and have been on the beach for the last month.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

He didn't but we need to get as many games as possible into Firmino's legs as possible. Start him on Tuesday and get him as many minutes as possible on Sunday.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp saying Fabinho won't be involved tomorrow but progressing 'very well'. I reckon he might be able to play Sunday, in which case Hendo at 6 tomorrow could be an option.

after 120 mins - I am not sure if Henderson should be risked.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Henderson played it at Newcastle, I think. Given each only had sixty at the weekend, I’d expect Milner as the six and Naby alongside Curtis.
AHA!

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan

Is Milner really that great at the holding role though, think he works better as the 8? Do we have anyone fresh who would be? Do we need anyone to do the holding role against Southampton?

Would it be better Keita as the 6 and Milner/Jones as the 8's?

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan

Think the issue for anyone who played 120 minutes is recovery time between Saturday and tomorrow night.

We've got to be careful with certain players since Wolves and the CL final could be very important. I wouldn't be surprised if out of the players who played >100 minutes on Saturday only Alisson and Konate start v Southampton. Anyone who played under 90 minutes probably has a reasonable chance of starting.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Either we win both games, or we lose both - doesn't matter. No point 'saving' anyone for Wolves who's capable tomorrow. Anyone who's seriously struggling today can rest until Sunday; anyone who can manage tomorrow could have over a week's rest before Paris if they need it. I don't think it will be a weakened team tomorrow and stronger Sunday, beyond physical necessity; both will be the best we can put out. I don't think you can (or believe Klopp will) be as cautious as some expect with a mind on Paris just yet.

VVD, Salah and Robertson must be doubts, plus maybe Henderson, Thiago and Mane - but one or two of those might still play and sit out Sunday. Everyone else is young enough, or already had sufficient rest recently here and there, to play.

Assuming Alisson is fine, defence I think is ok for numbers. Some question marks ahead of that, but Milner/Jones seem almost certain to start. Firmino and Jota should start - and Diaz should also be capable, though we have other options. Third midfielder probably the biggest question mark.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Jookie

• Legacy Fan

I was wondering about 4-2-3-1 as well.

Without a natural 6 it may be better to play a 2 in midfield. Maybe Milner and Jones. Then you can go 4 ahead of them. Probably 4 out of Minamino, AOC, Jota, Origi, Firmino, Elliott. Don't know about Diaz and Mane due to the time they played at the weekend.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
He didn't but we need to get as many games as possible into Firmino's legs as possible. Start him on Tuesday and get him as many minutes as possible on Sunday.

Yup, he was way off it on the weekend, needs minutes.  Elliott is similar, he's way short of match fitness, but I think that ship has sailed for this season and we'll only see him from the start of next.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline seandundee16

• Main Stander
After an adrenaline fuelled cup final it is hard to believe that we have to play again so soon after 120 minutes of intense football. I expect wholesale changes as our most important game left is the CL final and we just have to eke out a win by any means possible in this match to maintain a glimmer of hope in the PL. Goal difference is no longer a factor. If we had lost the cup final after ET and penalties we would be tired AND deflated but momentum is key and I still think we can dig out a win here as Southampton are now guaranteed safety after Leeds failed to win on Saturday. They will be trying to play for the win in front of their own fans rather than limit the damage and get a draw which can only help us.   

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer

Absolutely. Big Div will score a bagful and remove all GD before saluting to the travelling kop and disappear into the night, probably on a big stallion
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
Thanks Wabaloolah.  I generally enjoy our games against Southampton since they appointed Hassenhuttl but no doubt this will be a tough game in the circumstances.  The 1-0 loss last season showed they can dig in when they have to.

We've been blessed with injuries over the past month until very recently and I think your suggested squad shows we can rotate pretty effectively.  The exception is our #6 as I wouldn't want Hendo starting after playing 120 at the weekend and none of our other senior (and available) midfielders are very good in that role.  For me the best fit is Tyler Morton and the Norwich league cup (?) game comes to mind where Keita started in that role, we looked a bit open and then Morton came on at half-time with us bossing the second half.  It might be a bit of a leap for Klopp to bring Morton into such an important league game though.

Maybe Minamino might get a rare league appearance but he feels a long way from that at the moment.  I'm guessing that, unlike Morton who's at least been playing youth games, he's going to be some way short of match sharpness.  Same for Ox and Harvey.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Absolutely. Big Div will score a bagful and remove all GD before saluting to the travelling kop and disappear into the night, probably on a big stallion

He has scored a hat trick at St Mary’s before (feels like a lifetime ago now).

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
Thanks for the OP!

Ali
      Keita Milner Jones
    Elliott  Firmino  Origi   

I'd play Minamino before Elliott. Ox to play some part as well.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
Looking for some mad rotation here as well as picking up 3 points
Will be an entertaining one for sure!
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
Just watched the pre-match press-conferences from both Klopp and Hassenhutl.

Gotta say, this is gonna be a real, real challenge for the boys. Didn't realise exactly how long Southampton have been without playing - they'll be super fresh and can already be a real handful if they get near their top levels. Klopp outlining the difficulties we have with selection and that if we tried to go with rhythm we lose the freshness battle, and if we go for freshness we lose our rhythm advantage. Real tough selection for him.

Saints have been solid against the better teams as well and whilst they take the occasional battering I think their style can be better suited to better opposition. Would be a huge 3 points. And that's it really, we just have to get 3 points by hook or by crook. Don't care how, just somehow need to score one more than them and get back on the massage beds.

Trying to think through the line-up and think the below are probably guaranteed starters:

Ali, Gomez, Matip, Tsimikas, Jones, Bobby.

So, tough decisions around the other centre-half (Rhys Williams anyone?!) or maybe even right-back with Gomez partnering Matip in the middle instead.

Midfield is tough, Henderson and Thiago shouldn't be on the pitch for more than 20 minutes imo - they're too big too lose considering Fabs race for Paris. Think Naby falls into that group as well to be honest. Thought he had a really good game in the cup final. I suppose Milner will be asked to go again.

Looking at other options we've got Ox, Elliott, Jota, Origi and Minamino. I'd have both Mane and Diaz on the bench with an eye for them doing 30 if we're desperate for a goal.

If it was me, I think I'd probably go with:

Ali
Gomez, Matip, Konate, Tsimikas (stability from Gomez, a wide/set piece delivery threat from TSIMI TSIMI TSIMI, and two aerial monsters at corners/freekicks)

Elliott, Milner, Jones (Millie for stability, quality, experience and leadership/support for the two young lads - both of whom are confident and comfortable on the ball and capable of moments of flair, creativity and goal scoring)

Ox, Bobby, Origi (Think Ox is better in the forward line and offers decent crossing and dribbling ability, pace/directness and an eye for a goal with a decent threat from range. Bobby needs time on the pitch as I think he's potentially got a big role to play as a CL final sub and he'll hopefully keep the ball for us in their third well and allow us to build and support attacks. Divock because it's Divock and how are you gonna get his last massive contribution if you don't get him on the pitch :), plus, he's got a decent record vs Southampton if I remember rightly.

I'd be surprised if I've got that right (not sure I have all season) and Elliott/Ox are probably the most unlikely with Keita and one of Jota/Mane/Diaz being asked to go again in their place.

But whatever really, just get the 3 points reds and take it to the last game.

With no real reasoning whatsoever, other than my complete faith in this group of lads, I think we'll get the win.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Think we’ll need to make a few changes for this considering extra time at the weekend. I wouldn’t risk Salah or Van Dijk either even if they are declared fit, we have the players to give them extra recovery time. I’d be looking at something like the following:

Alisson; Gomez, Matip, Konate, Tsimikas; Keita, Milner, Jones; Díaz, Firmino, Jota

Can see Hendo and Mane being involved at some point however whether they start and are subbed or come on as subs.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A