Author Topic: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????  (Read 67523 times)

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
Re: Steve McManaman - Legend or big time charlie????????
« Reply #400 on: January 15, 2009, 02:55:44 pm »
he was an ok player who preferred to rest on his laurels rather than push on.

yeah that's right.... he defintiely didn't provide our only consistent attacking threat for several years and definitely didnt move to Madrid where he definitely wasnt the focal point of their european cup winning side.
we could do with an 'okay' player like him in our RM slot about now

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #401 on: January 15, 2009, 03:02:50 pm »
i loved watching him as a player - even during the fowler glory years i still felt that mcmanaman was every bit as exciting and important to us at that time.

a few of my mates really fucking hate him though. now, im a bit less harsh on him because i loved him as a player, but the more i see of him on tv now, and the shite he spouts about being a blue (if he is then fine, but he should have a bit more respect for us than to mouth of about it so much) i also cringe when i see him talk on tele etc...

to be honest, when i see him on tele i tend to switch off so as not to taint what i thought of him as a player. see no evil hear no evil i guess!
Re: You have to take your hat off to Arsene Wenger...
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: January 15, 2009, 03:13:29 pm »
yeah that's right.... he defintiely didn't provide our only consistent attacking threat for several years and definitely didnt move to Madrid where he definitely wasnt the focal point of their european cup winning side.
we could do with an 'okay' player like him in our RM slot about now
Focal point? You're joking right. You're right sarcasm or not, he wasn't. What he was, was little more than a reliable part-time player at best. Admittedly he was rated highly by his teammates (Zidane once said he could not understand why he'd been frozen out of the England setup), but he almost always had to make way for Makalele. Still, nothing like a European Cup Final goal (a winner) and a handful of medals to alter that perception amongst some.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 03:15:09 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #403 on: January 15, 2009, 03:18:13 pm »
Still, nothing like a European Cup Final goal (a winner)

it wasnt the winning goal was it? i thought it was the 2nd goal in a 3-nil win v Valencia?

and he did get MOTM in that particular EC Final didnt he?
The only way id take my hat off to him, is if i was odd job, then id throw it at the c*nt!

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #404 on: January 15, 2009, 03:20:44 pm »
Focal point? You're joking right. You're right sarcasm or not, he wasn't. What he was, was little more than a reliable part-time player at best. Admittedly he was rated highly by his teammates (Zidane once said he could not understand why he'd been frozen out of the England setup), but he almost always had to make way for Makalele. Still, nothing like a European Cup Final goal (a winner) and a handful of medals to alter that perception amongst some.

Didn't he score their winner away to Barcelona in the semi-final in '02 as well?

Maybe it's 'cos I was a child when he was playing for us, and simply too happy go lucky to focus on his faults (or remember them), but I loved him as a player. He could beat players for fun and we haven't had a similar player since. Would kill for him in the current side.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: January 15, 2009, 03:26:59 pm »
i loved watching him as a player - even during the fowler glory years i still felt that mcmanaman was every bit as exciting and important to us at that time.

a few of my mates really fucking hate him though.
now, im a bit less harsh on him because i loved him as a player, but the more i see of him on tv now, and the shite he spouts about being a blue (if he is then fine, but he should have a bit more respect for us than to mouth of about it so much) i also cringe when i see him talk on tele etc...

to be honest, when i see him on tele i tend to switch off so as not to taint what i thought of him as a player. see no evil hear no evil i guess!

I agree with you but i also realy fucking hate him  (big time charlie yup yup yup) just not as much as i hate Stan the fucking man but a whole lot more dislike than i have for Little Michael...

He will be back to slagging us off on Monday night (i'd bet my house on it)

Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

It's about beating him in the air, so we will use Mascherano against him!

NinjaVideo

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: January 15, 2009, 03:30:04 pm »
big time charlie.
never forget when he and another spice boy laid into berger (gerarrd v lucas style) during a game.

that then comfirmed something was not right at our club.
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: January 15, 2009, 03:33:03 pm »
Legend for me.

I try to judge players on their playing.
With the stereotype of below par IQ, I can't really understand why people are surprised that a footballer talks crap on telly.

Also I often wonder if ex-reds doing punditry are so concerned with not looking biased, that they over compensate.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: January 15, 2009, 03:33:11 pm »
it wasnt the winning goal was it? i thought it was the 2nd goal in a 3-nil win v Valencia?

and he did get MOTM in that particular EC Final didnt he?
Don't remember but yes I think you're right wasn't the winner as such but certainly the killer blow.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Kaka 22

• Bayern Munich Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: January 15, 2009, 03:34:12 pm »
gerrard v lucas style? what one was that mate - bearing in mind he is the captain and it is his job to tell everyone where they are going wrong during the game and to sort it out

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: January 15, 2009, 03:35:21 pm »
the one when lucas played the ball to him and he missread it so turned round and blasted him.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2009, 03:36:03 pm »
Didn't he score their winner away to Barcelona in the semi-final in '02 as well?

Maybe it's 'cos I was a child when he was playing for us, and simply too happy go lucky to focus on his faults (or remember them), but I loved him as a player. He could beat players for fun and we haven't had a similar player since. Would kill for him in the current side.
An exquisite lob I recall. He was a great RW, but like a lot of players we've had in that position, he could be infuriating when it came to end product. When he did offer it, it was usually to great effect, but my fading memory argues he wasn't as consistently brilliant as many like to think. Became a better player at Madrid IMO.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: January 15, 2009, 03:36:53 pm »
if i rememeber rightly one of the spice boys had called for a pass from berger who ended up using the run to run into space.

the next bit was embarrasing (bit like gerarrds).
berger went off form for a while after the that....the wrong people had too much influence imo maybe just like now

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: January 15, 2009, 03:37:35 pm »
Legend for me.

I try to judge players on their playing.
With the stereotype of below par IQ, I can't really understand why people are surprised that a footballer talks crap on telly.

Also I often wonder if ex-reds doing punditry are so concerned with not looking biased, that they over compensate.

I can honestly say that for me it has nothing to do with his so called punditry.
Journalist: Without giving any secrets away, how do you practice when you haven't got a six foot seven player in the squad? How on earth can you prepare?

NinjaVideo

Offline Kaka 22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: January 15, 2009, 03:38:32 pm »
the one when lucas played the ball to him and he missread it so turned round and blasted him.
What the fuck - that is horrific, why wasn't he sold.

i'm glad he is frustrated his team mate didn't show the footballing brain to keep up with him.

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: January 15, 2009, 03:38:34 pm »
Footballers leave club's all the time, he was my favourite player as a young lad growing up in the 90's and I got over him leaving - some people clearly haven't - it's so bitter it's untrue. 

He's nothing to do with Liverpool anymore, so I rarely think about him unless I've got a few of the old videos out, and those who upset themselves at the opinions of any TV pundit, seriously need to get out more.
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: January 15, 2009, 03:39:31 pm »
Not sure I call him a legend as he played for us when we were starting to struggle but a very good player who would not look out of place in the 70s / 80s teams. In fact with better players around him I am sure his season average of 6 or so league goals in the last 3 or 4 years with us would have been double figures. Just one of those lads in the 90s who's legendary status never got cemented due to the barren years.

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: January 15, 2009, 03:40:20 pm »
twat
There are always more fortresses to torch.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: January 15, 2009, 03:40:37 pm »
What the fuck - that is horrific, why wasn't he sold.

i'm glad he is frustrated his team mate didn't show the footballing brain to keep up with him.

no gerrard misread it ;)

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #419 on: January 15, 2009, 03:40:38 pm »
I was rather hoping we could discuss what he talked about rather than what he was/is in some fans eye's to be honest
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline Kaka 22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: January 15, 2009, 03:41:31 pm »
no gerrard misread it ;)
Lucas can't read he is brazilian, get it right.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: January 15, 2009, 03:41:38 pm »
now do you see why it was embarrasing :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: January 15, 2009, 03:42:14 pm »
you sure stevie can read?
just my impression

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: January 15, 2009, 03:43:16 pm »
I was rather hoping we could discuss what he talked about rather than what he was/is in some fans eye's to be honest

Clues in the title mate & i personaly don't give a fig what he has to say positive or negative it all just reads the same to me a bunch of mumbled words.

NinjaVideo

Offline Kaka 22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: January 15, 2009, 03:43:44 pm »
I don't know, he does write his own awe inspiring books in his spairtime.

Stevie does it alot, its the one thing that pisses me off the most about him, if he doesn't get the ball or if someone miscontrols it he turns away in a dramatised turn and sulks, but i forgive him cos he is so good.

Offline litmanen37

• Legacy Fan
  • '77 '78 '81 '84 '05
« Reply #425 on: January 15, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »
you sure stevie can read?
just my impression

who do you think is a better player, Gerrard or Lucas?

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: January 15, 2009, 03:50:29 pm »
Fantastic player to watch when he decided he wanted to turn it on. Unfortunately, that was also the biggest part of his failure - always when he felt he could be arsed doing it. Although I think thats actually part of his make up, not any deliberate decision to not bother.

I can honestly say that I dont think I've ever seen a winger who could just seem to glide past people like he did when he was up for it. I've seen loads of cracking wingers over the years, but none who looked so effortless as him.

Your Robbens and Wright Phillip's - even Ronaldo today - rely on a burst of pace, a bit of trickery to beat a man. Macmanaman used to do it seemingly without changing pace or putting in tricks, he used to just sort of flow past defenders.

I think it was Peter Thompson who used to get called perpetual motion, but it certainly applied to Macca as well - if not more so.

As a pundit - I'm not really sure about him. He deffo favours the bluenoses and is quite proud of it nowadays. But he does talk a bit of sense now and then, and has quite often backed us up as a club. he's talked some shit about the protests etc, but at least he had the bollocks to say he fucked up about it.

Great player. Not sure about him as a person.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: January 15, 2009, 03:55:38 pm »
who do you think is a better player, Gerrard or Lucas?

depends at what.

gerrard driving forward
lucas the holding role and counter attack football

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #428 on: January 15, 2009, 04:00:49 pm »
I can honestly say that for me it has nothing to do with his so called punditry.

Same sentiments here. Nothing to do with punditry why I dislike him.

Don't even think his Bosman transfer upsets me anymore. What upsets me, not only with McManaman but a fair proportion of the mid 90's squad, was that they wasted their talents. Along with United we had a bunch of very, very promising youngsters in the mid 90's. Arguably as talented as them. As United moved on and won trophy after trophy, we where to witness a squad of players waste their talents in front of our eyes. Players who basically wanted to use Liverpool Football Club as some sort of lads social club rather than as a privilege. Maybe unfairly I include MacManaman as part of this culture (Spice Boys if you wish) that prevailed at our football club for a significant part of the 90's.

Whether through mis-managemnt or plain bad attitude the mid 90's saw our star fall as United's rose. Something that is only recently coming close to parity. I'm convinced that we had enough talent to challenge United during this period. I'm sure in a paralell universe we did and are not narrowly hanging on to lead in title wons!

For them reasons I don't like McManaman (plus a lot of the others in the squad at the time) rather than punditry or Bosmans.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline LincsRedbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Hold your head up high
« Reply #429 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:32 pm »
So much for putting in an old thread should have been a new one

Ahh that will teach me

The joy's of RAWK
Fought them all the way. Proud to be amongst some great supporters.

SOS member 4969        12.09.12 JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Offline SallyCinnamon

• Dr. Greenthumb
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: January 15, 2009, 04:04:31 pm »
So much for putting in an old thread should have been a new one

Ahh that will teach me

The joy's of RAWK
;D

NinjaVideo

Offline Nano

• Main Stander
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2009, 04:19:10 pm »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162855090115-1301.htm

MACCA: WHY WE CAN WIN THE TITLE
Jimmy Rice 15 January 2009
   Steve McManaman believes Liverpool have an 'outstanding' chance of winning the league.
And the former Reds winger is keen to dismiss any suggestion that Steven Gerrard and co will start feeling the pressure as the season draws to a conclusion.

Macca, now a pundit for Setanta after 364 appearances for Liverpool, said: "Put it this way – I will be over the moon if Stevie and Carra have got their hands on that trophy in May and I honestly believe they have an outstanding chance of doing it.

"People go on about them being ready to collapse but I just don't see it. Over the last three months, they have looked incredibly strong and have played the best football out of the top three. All Chelsea seem to be doing is be chugging along.

"Prior to last weekend, Manchester United had been poor in a number of games and hadn't been scoring too many goals. Can you say the same about Liverpool? No. Never mind what happened against Stoke.

"They've got the best player in the country in Gerrard and the best centre-forward in the country in Fernando Torres. He has been missing and if he comes back firing on all cylinders, what's stopping them?

"Pressure? That's nonsense. There's no pressure for Stevie – he's played in two European Cup finals. Is there any pressure for the Spanish lads who played in the Euro 2008 final? The games they have got coming up are like getting out of bed in the morning."
Rafa Benitez : "We have a problem with Sami. He has a knock in the head. He was dizzy so I asked him if he'd seen the third goal! He just looked at me (with a confused look).

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2009, 04:20:58 pm »
Same sentiments here. Nothing to do with punditry why I dislike him.

Don't even think his Bosman transfer upsets me anymore. What upsets me, not only with McManaman but a fair proportion of the mid 90's squad, was that they wasted their talents. Along with United we had a bunch of very, very promising youngsters in the mid 90's. Arguably as talented as them. As United moved on and won trophy after trophy, we where to witness a squad of players waste their talents in front of our eyes. Players who basically wanted to use Liverpool Football Club as some sort of lads social club rather than as a privilege. Maybe unfairly I include MacManaman as part of this culture (Spice Boys if you wish) that prevailed at our football club for a significant part of the 90's.

Whether through mis-managemnt or plain bad attitude the mid 90's saw our star fall as United's rose. Something that is only recently coming close to parity. I'm convinced that we had enough talent to challenge United during this period. I'm sure in a paralell universe we did and are not narrowly hanging on to lead in title wons!

For them reasons I don't like McManaman (plus a lot of the others in the squad at the time) rather than punditry or Bosmans.

Before anyone mentions it, just wanted to clarify that I don't blame McManaman for everything that went wrong. I know things weren't great under Souness. However, think I wanted to get the point across that we wasted a great oppurtunity in the 90's to re-assert our position of power in the league. The hurtful thing was that it didn't go right because of lack of talent or luck, more so a poor attitude by some of the players.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #433 on: January 15, 2009, 09:39:00 pm »
MacManaman was the one in the side of the mid 90's who consistently put it in.

His attitude on the pitch and endeavour and bravery to show for the ball constantly always won my admiration. He wasn't always my favourite player but to criticise his endeavour isn't right.

I'll never forget the night ManU beat Juve away in 99. We got beat by Leicester at home and MacManaman was the only player in a red shirt worth a carrot. Playing with some utter shite he ran and ran and ran.

He may be perceived as a bit of a big-time Charlie but the club tried to sell him off first and let's be fair, at the time the choice was play with Zidane or Leonhardsen.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: January 15, 2009, 09:44:42 pm »
Was it really all because of Souness that the 90ies team didn´t succeed?

Who were the spice boys?

I am not from England, thanks!!
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: January 15, 2009, 09:51:14 pm »
god, some people have short memories.

without doubt a legend, a very under-rated one as well.

for 4-5 years mcmanaman was outstanding for us, a joy to watch, without doubt one of the best and most effective players in the country.

not that interested what he says as a pundit, these people are paid to be neutral.

if liverpool signed a peak mcmanaman in this transfer window, the league title would be in the bag.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #436 on: January 15, 2009, 09:53:42 pm »
Twat of a person for walking out on us the way he did, and was over-rated as a player. Yes, he'd fly past a couple of players like they werent even there, but then he'd screw up the 10 yard pass because he couldnt kick a ball properly.

Another ex-player who thought he ws bigger then the club.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: January 15, 2009, 09:54:26 pm »
He was a brilliant player. Did what Babel should be doing.

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #438 on: January 15, 2009, 10:05:23 pm »
He was a brilliant player. Did what Babel should be doing.
Ohh the thoughts of it , if only Babel could turn out so good . I guess we can hope!!

Offline Huytonian

• Kopite
« Reply #439 on: January 15, 2009, 10:57:04 pm »
Steve McManaman is an arrogant little man who causes Setanta to lose viewers whenever he is on screen.
We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.