Author Topic: League Cup and Club World Cup.  (Read 180611 times)

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: League Cup and Club World Cup.
« Reply #1760 on: November 24, 2019, 09:32:58 pm »
Would love to win this.
We are the Champions my friend..
We are the Champions....of the world.
We would be UNBEARABLE

Offline lfcrule6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1761 on: November 24, 2019, 09:48:14 pm »
Not confirmed yet, but BT sport should be showing the club world cup live matches.

Annoying. Was hoping it might be on BBC like in 2005.
★     ★     ★     ★     ★     ★

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1762 on: November 24, 2019, 10:22:43 pm »
Not confirmed yet, but BT sport should be showing the club world cup live matches.

Hope it's BBC myself.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #1763 on: November 24, 2019, 10:23:51 pm »
Would love to win this.
We are the Champions my friend..
We are the Champions....of the world.
We would be UNBEARABLE

We are the English champions, We are the European champions, We are the World Champions, we are the unbearables!!! Imagine if we could chant all of that!!, no come back chants from any rival tosspot fans lol. But they might say we won all of them because of VAR lol.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1764 on: November 24, 2019, 10:27:05 pm »
Annoying. Was hoping it might be on BBC like in 2005.

Yeah true, but at least its not in Japan when the kick off times were well early in the morning. We should be kicking off 5pm/5:30pm UK time. Qatar is 3 hours ahead in GMT time.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Re: Club World Cup will feature Brazilian club Flamengo
« Reply #1765 on: November 24, 2019, 10:40:17 pm »
The only thing I agree with is the aging full backs and the observation about not liking the press River put on them. I think they were nervous last night but got better the longer the game wore on. They kept playing football, moved it concisely through the middle and crafted 3 great chances (one they took). They are technically gifted, like to play a fast one touch passing game. They have spent a lot of money on this team and manager and, as another poster said, are gonna be bang up for it. Flamengo are a huge club in Brasil, probably the biggest. This is going to be a battle if we get there. (I haven't a clue about the Mexican team).
For all that I am glad they are going. River are a tough, streetwise, typical Argentine team and I'd rather we play Flamengo. It will be a cracker of a game.
We need to put them away if we get out in front. The fact they came back at the death and were, at that stage, playing all the football, will give them great belief.
Should be great if we both get to the final.

Yeah true, also I think I was a bit harsh saying the Brazilian league now is a bit like the Scottish league. We all make mistakes.

Offline LiverBirdKop

• A moron. Twice. No flies on their nullshit
  • Legacy Fan
  • 51,077 Deleted
« Reply #1766 on: November 24, 2019, 11:52:14 pm »
Yeah true, also I think I was a bit harsh saying the Brazilian league now is a bit like the Scottish league. We all make mistakes.
Yeah, that was quite a bit harsh. lol

They have way too many teams in Brazil with their regionals and then the national championship. Their talent is spread too thin. Like if the Premier League had 30 teams.

On Twitter, the Flamengo fans have been talking a lot of shite since they won. Would love it if we could hammer them 4-0 or 4-1. The gabi-gol guy got a straight red towards the end of the game. I wonder if he gets an automatic suspension if it will start with the Qatar games.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 12:05:58 am by LiverBirdKop »

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #1767 on: November 25, 2019, 01:15:34 am »
Gabigol won’t be suspended it’s a different tournament.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1768 on: November 25, 2019, 01:32:44 am »
Yeah, that was quite a bit harsh. lol

They have way too many teams in Brazil with their regionals and then the national championship. Their talent is spread too thin. Like if the Premier League had 30 teams.

On Twitter, the Flamengo fans have been talking a lot of shite since they won. Would love it if we could hammer them 4-0 or 4-1. The gabi-gol guy got a straight red towards the end of the game. I wonder if he gets an automatic suspension if it will start with the Qatar games.

Yes it was harsh, sorry to the Brazilian teams and their fans. But Flamengo fans giving it the all the mouth now are they? I don't know why teams do this against us now, it normally ends in defeat for them recently. I bet they are going on about the 1981 Intercontinental cup final. Even more nearer the time if we play them. Looking at the highlights from that match on this thread the state of that pitch is shocking, what a player Zico was though, top class. But this is a different era and a different team. Plus the pitches in Qatar won't be like that one in Japan in 1981.

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1769 on: November 25, 2019, 02:14:59 am »
Just watched the highlights of the Sao Paolo game in 2005. How we didn’t win it that year I don’t know. One of the things I noticed was that Reina had number 12 on his jersey. If we have to name a 23 man squad, can we only use numbers 1-23? Chance of seeing Trent wearing number 2?

Edit: just had a look, can use numbers 1-99. Never mind.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 02:37:45 am by AshbourneRed »

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1770 on: November 25, 2019, 03:15:20 am »
What date in nov/dec do we have to name the 23 man squad for the club world cup? anyone know?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1771 on: November 25, 2019, 04:47:32 am »
What date in nov/dec do we have to name the 23 man squad for the club world cup? anyone know?
I don't think FIFA knows, mate.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1772 on: November 25, 2019, 06:43:10 am »
Flamengo's home kit has red and black and we also play in red. Wonder how they pick who wears their home kit for the final? who will be classed as the home team and who is classed as the away team? I always feel more confident in cup finals when we play in our home red kit.

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #1773 on: November 25, 2019, 09:41:56 am »
Flamengo's home kit has red and black and we also play in red. Wonder how they pick who wears their home kit for the final? who will be classed as the home team and who is classed as the away team? I always feel more confident in cup finals when we play in our home red kit.
The draw has been done now that all teams have qualified. The FIFA site states that the winner of game 6 which is our semi-final would be classed as the home team in the final so we would wear red, if the final is us against Flamengo.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1774 on: November 25, 2019, 10:36:31 am »
The draw has been done now that all teams have qualified. The FIFA site states that the winner of game 6 which is our semi-final would be classed as the home team in the final so we would wear red, if the final is us against Flamengo.
Ok thanks for finding out this information. Great news we will wear red!

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #1775 on: November 25, 2019, 12:55:52 pm »
My close friend's wife is a massive Flamengo fan along with all of her family back in her native Brazil. They are all desperate to recreate '81, the moment that they still class as their most significant event in their history.

The CWC just got very interesting. Winning their Champions League final was a step to what they really want which is beating a massive European team in a world status final.
JFT97

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1776 on: November 25, 2019, 01:30:16 pm »
If we make it to the final and Flamengo does too - our Brazilian contingent will be extra motivated too. They don’t want to hear about a loss to them the rest of their lives. (Ok ok maybe they don’t care - but I doubt it).

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1777 on: November 25, 2019, 02:41:20 pm »
If we make it to the final and Flamengo does too - our Brazilian contingent will be extra motivated too. They don’t want to hear about a loss to them the rest of their lives. (Ok ok maybe they don’t care - but I doubt it).

Our Brazilian players will definitely care. Also Fabinho started off at Fluminese arch rivals of Flamengo. Allisson spoke about wanting to always play in the club world cup. Bobby will feel the same. I remember when Chelsea lost to Corinthians in 2012 final and David Luiz was crying his eyes out as he saw it as huge trophy to miss out on.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1778 on: November 25, 2019, 02:47:42 pm »
My close friend's wife is a massive Flamengo fan along with all of her family back in her native Brazil. They are all desperate to recreate '81, the moment that they still class as their most significant event in their history.

The CWC just got very interesting. Winning their Champions League final was a step to what they really want which is beating a massive European team in a world status final.

This is starting to get very spicy, its good Flamengo fans are shouting their mouths off. This means we will not be complacent if we play them, we will be fully focused and determined to win. But i believe we would of been anyway. Its a chance for this squad of players to create more history and win a trophy we have never won before.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1779 on: November 25, 2019, 05:08:35 pm »
Neil Critchley to take the Villa game, according to David Maddock.

Will be almost entirely Under-23s - and nobody who is involved at Villa will join the rest of the team in Qatar.

As a result, we're unlikely to take a full 23-man squad to Qatar.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-confirm-carabao-cup-manager-20958096

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1780 on: November 25, 2019, 05:14:35 pm »
Just realised we’ve played Flamengo before in 81. Makes it interesting.

As an aside, I have a friend who was in Rio on the weekend. Celebrations looked wild.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1781 on: November 25, 2019, 05:18:28 pm »

Will be almost entirely Under-23s - and nobody who is involved at Villa will join the rest of the team in Qatar.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-confirm-carabao-cup-manager-20958096

It's such a weird situation this. As I'm sure in the history books this match vs Villa will go down under Jürgen Klopp's stats  ;D He'll have either an extra win or extra loss to his name from a game he wasn't even at. Mind, I suppose the same can be said for that game he missed when he was in hospital.  Although this is more extreme, as it'll be a mostly different team to the one he usually coaches.

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1782 on: November 25, 2019, 05:24:27 pm »

So from the sounds of that no first team players will be involved against Villa. We're basically forfeiting. We should have just did what United did in 99-00 and fucked the league cup off altogether.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1783 on: November 25, 2019, 05:29:13 pm »
So from the sounds of that no first team players will be involved against Villa. We're basically forfeiting. We should have just did what United did in 99-00 and fucked the league cup off altogether.

And miss the chance to give some very promising U23 players some big game experience at Anfield? What would the point of that be?

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1784 on: November 25, 2019, 05:30:12 pm »

Why?! The youngsters at worst have had three games experience

They go out, they go out

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1785 on: November 25, 2019, 05:35:35 pm »
We may well be, but MK Dons and Arsenal were worthwhile.
Arsenal was very entertaining as well as providing development for the youngsters.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #1786 on: November 25, 2019, 05:36:10 pm »
Lets assume we get the South Americans in the final. I think a big difference vs 2005 is that we have Allison, Fabinho and Firmino in the squad who will really want to perform and make a statement in front of their home country TV audience.

I think it makes a big difference and just adds that extra impetus.
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1787 on: November 25, 2019, 05:39:43 pm »

It's a tough one.

We're forfeiting the game to a degree but the youth lads will benefit massively.

With Brewster and Kellegher linked with loan moves in Jan it has that feeling that we know we will get knocked out of the league cup and plan to move on already.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1788 on: November 25, 2019, 05:41:25 pm »

It’s basically a u23 game but against senior opposition. A rare chance for all of the young lads to play against a proper team, in front of a proper crowd. It’s a good thing.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1789 on: November 25, 2019, 05:43:19 pm »

I'm sure the young lads who played in one of the maddest games/comebacks before a full house at Anfield wouldn't agree with you.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #1790 on: November 25, 2019, 05:46:31 pm »
I suppose however you look at it, the semi final of the WCC and League cup means that we're going to see Hoever, Van den Berg, Keita, Lallana, Jones, Elliot, Brewster and get game time and it could potentially be good timing for Shaqiri to get back up to speed.

I'm actually pretty excited. Literally 2 games on TV for two days, see some youngsters who are basically getting a free hit and hopefully bring back a trophy. I had been apprehensive given we've got Leicester on our return but if you have the bulk of the 1st team in Qatar for a week then I'd assume that they could get in some sessions for those important Christmas/New Year games.

Fingers crossed we get a decent 3rd round FA cup draw (aka on the easier side) so that the first team get a few days off before Spurs and United. I have January 19th circled as a point I might start getting excited about the league! We'll have 22 games down (not sure when West Ham rescheduled too).
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1791 on: November 25, 2019, 06:09:37 pm »
Villa changed 9 players for the last round. While they might not make that many changes for the QF but I don’t think they will go full strength. Wouldn’t surprise me if this team gave them a good game.

Kelleher

Williams     VDB     Hoever     Larouci

Chirivella
           Kane                 Lewis

Elliott                                Jones
                    Brewster

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:18:05 pm by Too early for flapjacks? »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1792 on: November 25, 2019, 06:14:44 pm »
Villa changed 9 players for the last round. While they might not make that many changes for the QF I don’t think they will go full strength. Wouldn’t surprise me if this team gave them a good game.     

They play Sheffield United 3 days earlier and Southampton, Norwich and Watford all within a week just 4 days after our game, and Burnley come just a few days later too - those latter 4 games are all against relegation rivals so they'll surely be more important to them than our game.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1793 on: November 25, 2019, 07:15:39 pm »
It’s basically a u23 game but against senior opposition. A rare chance for all of the young lads to play against a proper team, in front of a proper crowd. It’s a good thing.
We're forfeiting the game to a degree but the youth lads will benefit massively.
What if they get twatted?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #1794 on: November 25, 2019, 07:20:39 pm »
What if they get twatted?

calculated risk really, it's still worth it, and the same could have happened vs Arsenal. Sure it wouldn't be nice, but their careers arent going to be over if it happens. They'll learn and move on, and will still be getting great coaching be it at U23 level, or with the first team when they get the call-ups to train with them.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #1795 on: November 25, 2019, 07:23:54 pm »
They play Sheffield United 3 days earlier and Southampton, Norwich and Watford all within a week just 4 days after our game, and Burnley come just a few days later too - those latter 4 games are all against relegation rivals so they'll surely be more important to them than our game.

League cup winners prize = £100,000
Premier League TV money = £82.5m+ per year. (+ probably another £20-25m).

I think we know which one Villa will prioritise!

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
« Reply #1796 on: November 25, 2019, 08:26:55 pm »
What a joke of a tournament where in most games neither team wants to win... in the end we end up with just a few teams who want to win this because they can't win anything else, or they have 2 teams anyway (Chelsea and nowadays Man City). This Cup is now ideal for your Man Utd's. Jose should be disappointed he doesn't have this.
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline ArdmoreRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1797 on: November 25, 2019, 08:53:33 pm »
i thought i read that EFL has rules about fielding a 'competitive' team with first team players and that LFC were reminded of this when the game was scheduled.  Could that mean the likes of a Lovren or a Shaqiri are left home to start with 9 other youngsters to make it look better? 

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1798 on: November 25, 2019, 08:54:56 pm »
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.

Some people would do well to remember such things.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1799 on: November 25, 2019, 08:56:09 pm »
i thought i read that EFL has rules about fielding a 'competitive' team with first team players and that LFC were reminded of this when the game was scheduled.  Could that mean the likes of a Lovren or a Shaqiri are left home to start with 9 other youngsters to make it look better?

Why would we leave our 2nd choice CB at home when there's a trophy on offer in Qatar

Fuck their rules, they could have been more understanding with the schedule so we should play a team of kids and win the CWC