Author Topic: Anime Anyone?  (Read 80872 times)

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
Re: Anime Anyone?
« Reply #560 on: May 27, 2021, 12:27:46 pm »
Seen demon slayer last night. And although the end got wet as fuck was worth seeing on the big screen.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #561 on: May 28, 2021, 03:46:56 pm »
Konate is a massive AoT fan

;D

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: June 2, 2021, 04:53:18 pm »
Jujutsu Kaisen is worth watching.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: June 8, 2021, 01:06:47 pm »

Onto Season 2 of AoT and.... WTF?

Already forming my own theories, which are probably going to be very off the mark, but the series is very good.

Halfway through season 4 (pt1) and fucking hell, it's good. Brilliant world-building and detail.

My theories mostly went to shit.

Spoiler
My eldest daughter keeps telling me not to choose sides, but I'm massively behind the Paradis Eldians  ;D
[close]

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: June 14, 2021, 10:46:48 pm »
Right, finished to the mid-point of season 4.

Conclusions:

Pretty much every side/group turn out to be utter twats.

Who'd have thought.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: June 15, 2021, 10:46:27 am »
Right, finished to the mid-point of season 4.

Conclusions:

Pretty much every side/group turn out to be utter twats.

Who'd have thought.

This your first anime series you've watched or you seen any others?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: June 15, 2021, 10:58:31 am »
This your first anime series you've watched or you seen any others?

First (at the ripe old age of 49  ;D)

Seen a few anime films, though.

I think the story-telling in AoT is very well done. It sets you up to sympathise with a particular group, only to then have them acting like horrible dicks (or vice-versa).

Spoiler
I hope Levi isn't dead, though; best character in the series
[close]

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: June 15, 2021, 11:11:11 am »
As an aside, I've watched many long-running series that stretched over a few 'seasons', even up to GoT. There's inevitable filler and sub-story cul-de-sacs, and also those 'nearly got a huge victory, only for something to go wrong right at the end and the 'baddie' escapes' set-pieces. But I've generally watched them, even as a kid, on a one-show-per-week-as-it's-aired basis.

I don't know whether it's the nature of AoT or anime in general, or the fact that I've semi-binged all for seasons at the rate of 2 or 3 a night with my daughters, but if I've got one frustration with AoT it's the number of times an Eldian group has dithered for some reason and missed a big opprtunity

Spoiler
like when one of the Marleyan titan warriors was captured and I'm screaming 'eat them!' but due to some delay or fuck-up, they manage to escape
[close]

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #568 on: June 15, 2021, 01:27:05 pm »
As an aside, I've watched many long-running series that stretched over a few 'seasons', even up to GoT. There's inevitable filler and sub-story cul-de-sacs, and also those 'nearly got a huge victory, only for something to go wrong right at the end and the 'baddie' escapes' set-pieces. But I've generally watched them, even as a kid, on a one-show-per-week-as-it's-aired basis.

I don't know whether it's the nature of AoT or anime in general, or the fact that I've semi-binged all for seasons at the rate of 2 or 3 a night with my daughters, but if I've got one frustration with AoT it's the number of times an Eldian group has dithered for some reason and missed a big opprtunity

Spoiler
like when one of the Marleyan titan warriors was captured and I'm screaming 'eat them!' but due to some delay or fuck-up, they manage to escape
[close]

If you can get an English translation somewhere, I highly recommend Touch. The timing is known and inexorable: a high school baseball tournament that takes place in the summer, straight knock out rounds for every qualifier, and 3 years of high school. If you're knocked out, that's it until the next year. And if you can't make it inside the 3 years of high school, you won't get another opportunity.

Guardian article on the RL tournament that inspired the Touch manga/anime

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/22/japans-field-of-dreams-school-baseball-teams-vie-for-koshien-glory
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #569 on: June 18, 2021, 05:13:52 am »
First (at the ripe old age of 49  ;D)

Seen a few anime films, though.

I think the story-telling in AoT is very well done. It sets you up to sympathise with a particular group, only to then have them acting like horrible dicks (or vice-versa).

Spoiler
I hope Levi isn't dead, though; best character in the series
[close]

Have your daughters recommended any other animes?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #570 on: June 18, 2021, 02:27:38 pm »
Have your daughters recommended any other animes?

Not really. They've watched quite a few (before AoT it was The Promised Neverland), but just said they thought I'd love AoT. We were looking for something to watch together after exhausting all the Marvel stuff (the pair of them had already watched AoT up the season 4 midpoint, and also read the Manga to the end)

I sort of got them into it in the first place with watching some Ghibli films (Spirited Away & Howl's Moving Castle) but they're the devotees.

Next up (not anime, sorry)  is a re-watch of Stranger Things (watched seasons 1-3 with the eldest as they came out, but want to re-watch from the start with the youngest as well)

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: June 18, 2021, 02:36:36 pm »

Not really. They've watched quite a few (before AoT it was The Promised Neverland), but just said they thought I'd love AoT. We were looking for something to watch together after exhausting all the Marvel stuff (the pair of them had already watched AoT up the season 4 midpoint, and also read the Manga to the end)

I sort of got them into it in the first place with watching some Ghibli films (Spirited Away & Howl's Moving Castle) but they're the devotees.

Next up (not anime, sorry)  is a re-watch of Stranger Things (watched seasons 1-3 with the eldest as they came out, but want to re-watch from the start with the youngest as well)

If they haven't seen it already, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is a must.

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #572 on: June 24, 2021, 02:35:00 pm »
So, after reading about attack on titan on here, I thought i would give it a go. Watched all of series one. It is excellent. Best anime i've seen. just starting series 2. does it get even better?  addicted.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 02:37:04 pm by red1977 »

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #573 on: June 24, 2021, 02:43:57 pm »
Not a massive anime fan but seen a few and Death Note has always been my favourite...that was until I recently binged Attack on Titan. WOW is all I'll say, just WOW.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: June 25, 2021, 01:28:15 pm »
So, after reading about attack on titan on here, I thought i would give it a go. Watched all of series one. It is excellent. Best anime i've seen. just starting series 2. does it get even better?  addicted.
The first 3 seasons are amazing, just those seasons make it one of my favorite shows.
Season 4 is twice as good as those first 3. You are in for a ride. ;D
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #575 on: June 27, 2021, 04:22:26 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q15CRdE5Bv0

Trailer for the Chainsaw man anime. This is the 5th top selling manga of 2021, without an anime to boost it. Can see it being hugely popular when it's out.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: June 27, 2021, 08:16:37 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q15CRdE5Bv0

Trailer for the Chainsaw man anime. This is the 5th top selling manga of 2021, without an anime to boost it. Can see it being hugely popular when it's out.

A manga I'd like to see translated is Historie, by Hitoshi Iwaaki (Parasyte). It tells the story of Phillip and Alexander via the protagonist Eumenes of Cardia. Unfortunately, Iwaaki seems to be ever more infrequent with his updates (18 years so far and Phillip has just been assassinated). It's unlikely that we'll ever see the most intriguing parts of Eumenes's life, his career as one of the successor warlords and the only one approaching Alexander in brilliance.

As a comparison, his much praised Parasyte manga ran for 7 years (1988-95). Historie has run for 18 so far (2003-).
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: June 28, 2021, 09:31:39 pm »
If they haven't seen it already, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is a must.

Netflix UK has Full Metal Alchemist, and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood which apparently are two different adaptations of the same series.
Is Brotherhood the better one?
That's the one I've been watching, as it's going from Netflix in July so I decided to try and get through it all by then.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #578 on: June 28, 2021, 11:31:43 pm »
The first show was made and the studio outpaced the source material, much like Game of Thrones. Better ending though ;)

Brotherhood is the source-material accurate show that came later.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: June 29, 2021, 02:14:55 am »
Netflix UK has Full Metal Alchemist, and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood which apparently are two different adaptations of the same series.
Is Brotherhood the better one?
That's the one I've been watching, as it's going from Netflix in July so I decided to try and get through it all by then.

Brotherhood imo by a mile, it follows the manga exactly.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #580 on: July 4, 2021, 06:49:09 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q15CRdE5Bv0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q15CRdE5Bv0</a>

Chainsaw Man looking pretty nice. I've only heard of the manga recently, got no idea what its about or what happens.

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #581 on: July 5, 2021, 08:25:00 pm »
My lad (12) is getting really into anime. He's watched and re-watched Haikyu and is starting My Hero Academy. Are Attack on Titan and Full Metal Alchemist suitable for him? I'm okay with some mild swearing and some blood and guts.
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #582 on: July 6, 2021, 12:55:52 am »
My lad (12) is getting really into anime. He's watched and re-watched Haikyu and is starting My Hero Academy. Are Attack on Titan and Full Metal Alchemist suitable for him? I'm okay with some mild swearing and some blood and guts.

Attack on Titan is way bloodier than My Hero Academia. It's fairly brutal. I'd suggest testing the first episode yourself first to see if it's a level of brutality that you're comfortable with.

Full Metal Alchemist is a bit less bloody, but it has some fairly full on themes. Loss of parents, child/animal abuse, genocide etc. It's the sort of thing I think would make a deep impression on a 12 year old, but it might be helpful to watch it with them so you can help him to process some of the themes - depending on how sensitive they are to these things.

I reckon Demon Slayer is actually a really good anime for a 12 year old. It'd be challenging enough in that there are some of those themes, and certainly has enough blood (without being quite the level of Attack on Titan). It's currently only 1 season and a movie with a season to come, so it's not a massive commitment.

Death Note could also be an interesting one that would still be interesting to him until he's a few years older as well.

Alternatively if he wants to watch something that just goes on and on and on, there's always your Hunter X Hunter, One Piece etc.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2021, 12:59:54 am by Redcap »

Offline Disregarder

• Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #583 on: July 6, 2021, 07:38:03 am »
Attack on Titan is way bloodier than My Hero Academia. It's fairly brutal. I'd suggest testing the first episode yourself first to see if it's a level of brutality that you're comfortable with.

Full Metal Alchemist is a bit less bloody, but it has some fairly full on themes. Loss of parents, child/animal abuse, genocide etc. It's the sort of thing I think would make a deep impression on a 12 year old, but it might be helpful to watch it with them so you can help him to process some of the themes - depending on how sensitive they are to these things.

I reckon Demon Slayer is actually a really good anime for a 12 year old. It'd be challenging enough in that there are some of those themes, and certainly has enough blood (without being quite the level of Attack on Titan). It's currently only 1 season and a movie with a season to come, so it's not a massive commitment.

Death Note could also be an interesting one that would still be interesting to him until he's a few years older as well.

Alternatively if he wants to watch something that just goes on and on and on, there's always your Hunter X Hunter, One Piece etc.

Thanks. That's really helpful. I'll check some of those suggestions out myself before letting him watch them.
My 8k rig goes boom

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: July 6, 2021, 08:57:26 am »
Haikyu!! is great. Can learn a lot about hard work, learning to fight back in the event of failure, honing your passion, and friendship.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Disregarder

• Anny Roader
  • TV's own
« Reply #585 on: July 6, 2021, 04:14:12 pm »
Haikyu!! is great. Can learn a lot about hard work, learning to fight back in the event of failure, honing your passion, and friendship.

He's obsessed by it to the extent where everything is now about volleyball for him.  He won't come in from the garden to watch any footy in the Euros because he's too interested in pinging a volleyball about to even watch England.  Glad he's into something with decent characters, plots and morals at its core.
My 8k rig goes boom

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: July 6, 2021, 04:44:01 pm »

My youngest (daughter, aged 13) was fine with AoT.

She watched The Promised Neverland at age 12, which is apparently less gory but has equally deep themes.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: July 6, 2021, 05:03:05 pm »
My youngest (daughter, aged 13) was fine with AoT.

She watched The Promised Neverland at age 12, which is apparently less gory but has equally deep themes.

Presumably she's already consumed the Ghibli oeuvre.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: July 6, 2021, 05:18:04 pm »
Presumably she's already consumed the Ghibli oeuvre.

Parts of it. Spirited Away was the one that planted the seed.

(my eldest, now 17, wouldn't watch it for years after we watched it together when she was about 5 y/o. I was marvelling at its weirdness; she was quietly freaking out  :-\   Even the mention of No Face or the witch would set her off, up until a few years ago)

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #589 on: July 15, 2021, 04:47:33 am »
Binged the first season of Demon Slayer and the movie. Was fantastic, especially the final hour of the movie! Can't wait for season 2.

Spoiler
My only worry is that they've made these upper demon moons so insanely powerful, it's going to be an incredible stretch to see Tanjiro get close to killing them within another 20-25 episodes.
[close]

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: July 16, 2021, 07:18:15 am »
The first 3 seasons are amazing, just those seasons make it one of my favorite shows.
Season 4 is twice as good as those first 3. You are in for a ride. ;D

Thanks mate. And so I got to the end of season 4. You weren't wrong, what a ride!! One of the best series I have ever seen. of any kind. I cant wait for the 2nd part of season four which is rumoured to come out in January 2022.

How do you follow that?. Any recommendations? Ive been spoiled a little by AOT now, I hope theres something around thats as good, even nearly as good? Demon Slayer seems popular on here.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #591 on: July 16, 2021, 07:34:57 am »
Binged the first season of Demon Slayer and the movie. Was fantastic, especially the final hour of the movie! Can't wait for season 2.

Spoiler
My only worry is that they've made these upper demon moons so insanely powerful, it's going to be an incredible stretch to see Tanjiro get close to killing them within another 20-25 episodes.
[close]

Spoiler
Going purely by the length of the manga, I don't think they'll quite get to taking down too many upper moons next season.

And don't forget, there's always another level of super saiyan.
[close]

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: July 16, 2021, 05:13:55 pm »
Spoiler
Going purely by the length of the manga, I don't think they'll quite get to taking down too many upper moons next season.

And don't forget, there's always another level of super saiyan.
[close]
That's exactly the argument I thought of when trying to justify how that might be possible!  :D

Spoiler
The length of the manga looks promising so I'm hoping there's a satisfactory conclusion with maybe a couple more seasons and a movie.
[close]

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: July 16, 2021, 05:34:21 pm »
Thanks mate. And so I got to the end of season 4. You weren't wrong, what a ride!! One of the best series I have ever seen. of any kind. I cant wait for the 2nd part of season four which is rumoured to come out in January 2022.

How do you follow that?. Any recommendations? Ive been spoiled a little by AOT now, I hope theres something around thats as good, even nearly as good? Demon Slayer seems popular on here.

Have you seen/read Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind? The manga is often said to be Hayao Miyazaki's greatest work, which given the rest of his stuff, is saying something.

The film also has one of the best opening scenes I've ever seen, in any genre.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1oxjg
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 05:38:41 pm by Sangria »
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: July 18, 2021, 07:34:24 pm »

What kind of anime do you want? Serious, comedy, action?

Demon slayer is unreal animation but relatively new. Had 1 series and 1 movie come out and the next series is due soon. So depends whether you are willing to catch up quickly and wait.

Personally I'd recommend death note or Full metal alchemist brotherhood next. Both series have a definitive end and are a good watch to get your teeth into without going on too long and both high quality. With full metal alchemist it needs a few episodes to get into it and would defo say make sure you watch the brotherhood one.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 07:37:08 pm by macca007 »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #595 on: July 21, 2021, 11:56:55 am »
Currently tearing through the first season of 7 Deadly Sins on Netflix and it's such an easy watch.  Really enjoying it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: July 21, 2021, 12:43:53 pm »
Said it before, Jujutsu kaisen, get on it, thank me later.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: July 21, 2021, 07:36:45 pm »
Currently tearing through the first season of 7 Deadly Sins on Netflix and it's such an easy watch.  Really enjoying it.

It's a class series, gets better and better

Offline Hendollama

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: July 25, 2021, 01:25:14 pm »

:wave

I would suggest Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Death Note too.
Apart from that, I fully recommend Steins Gate, Monster and Haikyu!. They are not all in the same genre, but all very much enjoyable.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #599 on: July 25, 2021, 10:35:28 pm »
Getting a bit frustrated with 7 Deadly Sins.  Too many people getting mortally wounded or dying and then coming back to life straight away, and other people being bad guys but then good guys but then bad guys but not really they're a good guy now.

It's a fun show, but it feels a little cheap and I just don't buy it when someone gets messed up anymore.  About midway through the third season.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.