Author Topic: The Impending Summer, George Gillett and Fancard Farce  (Read 36910 times)

Offline Spirit Of Shankly

• Anny Roader
  • www.spiritofshankly.com
    • Spirit of Shankly
The Impending Summer, George Gillett and Fancard Farce
« on: June 6, 2008, 04:41:28 pm »
Week by week it’s becoming clearer that Hicks and Gillett are holding the club back and hurting its support. We’ve got a manager who (according to yesterday’s Liverpool Echo) is unable to go for a terrific young prospect in Aaron Ramsey because he’s got to concentrate on the first team on what is, relatively speaking, a shoestring. There can be no signing for the future. Liverpool FC is likely to be outspent this summer by more than Manchester Utd and Chelsea (the benchmark in at home and in Europe and the target to catch) but also by Manchester City, West Ham and Tottenham Hotspur. There’s no Daniel Alves, there’s Philip Degen. Degen may be a good player or he may not, but he does not have a strong shout to be the world’s leading right back. He is available for free, however.

Let’s remember why David Moores wanted to sell in the first place – to keep the playing side strong while a new stadium could be built for Liverpool FC.

We can only presume he didn’t sell it to watch Liverpool supporters get fleeced in this eternal chase for elusive cash. This week we discovered that fancards are getting replaced. You know fancards, the things described in the club’s own charter as “the only card that you will need with Liverpool Football Club”. A one off payment of £3.50. They are getting replaced by a card which will have to be paid for on an annual basis. Liverpool FC being Liverpool FC, they haven’t released all the information yet but we rang today and got some answers. This isn’t set in stone but we were told it will be an annual charge of £29 for adults and £20 for children. Fan cards will run concurrently with this scheme, that will include a ticket exchange, for one season and then it’s the annual fee or nothing. The scheme will be confirmed before July 1st. Do we expect any greater efficiency or is it simply a matter of wringing every last penny out of supporters? Let’s phrase it this way, for an adult and two children to even be in with a chance to buy a ticket for a league game prior to the new stadium hopefully opening in 2012 (we understand anyone raising their eyebrows), it’s £207. £207. That’s before you’ve seen a ball kicked. Looking at that, and given that Hicks and Gillett need every penny, we suspect it’s the latter.

Is George Gillett still looking for every last penny? Well, why is he still here? Gillett is happy enough to give the impression he wants to sell. Well, SOS has been told he can sell whenever he wants. The opportunity is there to get out of our club. Why hasn’t he? Remember, George Gillett also said it was “about the fans and the winning tradition”; he said he “wasn’t someone who goes and hides” and he said “our job is to be custodians of this franchise, not owners of this franchise.” Well the fans want him out and he can’t supply the funds required to carry on that winning tradition. He has actively looked to hide away from the glare of the fans – that stops today. The pressure on George Gillett starts now. George: Either start explaining why you aren’t selling or sell.

This, these vagaries over the “custodianship” with one indicating he wants out but malingering, the other constantly looking to place the club into further debt, the shortage of a transfer budget, the desire to bleed fans dry to make up for the financial shortcomings, this is Liverpool FC today. This is your club in the summer of 2008. What are we all going to do about it?

We’re repossessing the club. Sunday. You’ve seen the other statement. If you haven’t, it’s easy - Anfield, Sunday. It’s time we said enough is enough. It’s time we repossess before someone else gets the chance. It’s our club after all. We feel every part of it. The manager’s limited budget is our limited budget. The plans for the new ground are the plans for our new ground. And the massive debts are definitely debts we’ll be repaying if Hicks and Gillett have their way.

Sunday. Anfield. Email or PM for a time and place. Spread the word and see you there.

Spirit Of Shankly.

« Last Edit: June 7, 2008, 11:36:35 pm by Spirit Of Shankly »
Join your Union Now online at www.spiritofshankly.com

Like SOS on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @spiritofshankly

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
Re: The Impending Summer, George Gillett and Fancard Farce
« Reply #1 on: June 6, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »
This whole affair with the Yanks is simply making me feel sick.  They are ruining my club, our club and it hurts to see what is happening and what is around the corner.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #2 on: June 6, 2008, 04:55:26 pm »
Can't be there SoS.  But you have my total support.  All power to you. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline flynnyyy

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #3 on: June 6, 2008, 05:00:34 pm »
Il certainly be there, cant wait
"We are focusing on supporting our manager"
women are totally insane, it's science.

Offline Drunknmunky

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2008, 05:04:48 pm »
Those two bastard c*nts need driving out of our club, they make sick, fucking c*nts.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #5 on: June 6, 2008, 05:07:09 pm »
can't be there on Sunday - though hope it goes well - well certainly be there in spirit.

Don't forget the 'new improved' ticket office phone lines - the ones which tell you that 'all of the operators are busy', 'to call back later', and 'you are being charged for the call'.

New and improved for who? 'cos it's not for us fans.

(the cynic in me thinks there are only 2 phoneline operators in the ticket office working at any one time - each has queue of 80 people in waiting patiently on the local rate phoneline until a hefty percentage are 'somehow' cut off - as the club knows everyone will phone them straight back (and again, and again, and again etc) to get the tickets - and make more money from us fans for having to do so - let alone the people who can't actually get through to the phoneline queue...)
« Last Edit: June 6, 2008, 05:17:36 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2008, 05:08:56 pm »
And I'm not impressed by this "ticket exchange" business either. 

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2008, 05:11:22 pm »
SOS, you have my, and friends backing.

Hurts to know what is happening to our club.

YNWA

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2008, 05:14:13 pm »
I want to hear a good explanation for this annual fee business. Is it the brainchild of Ian Aryes prehaps?. It's bad anough at the moment with the phone lines the way they are.

edit: £20 for kids is extortionate.  :no
« Last Edit: June 6, 2008, 05:16:09 pm by hansen6 »

Offline Walking Through A Storm

• Kopite
  • Forward the Rafalution!
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2008, 05:50:07 pm »
SOS, you have my, and friends backing.

Hurts to know what is happening to our club.

YNWA

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 6, 2008, 06:01:45 pm »
I want to hear a good explanation for this annual fee business. Is it the brainchild of Ian Aryes prehaps?. It's bad anough at the moment with the phone lines the way they are.

edit: £20 for kids is extortionate.  :no

Doubt it, but he wouldn't have to look very far to get wind of a good little earner.

I'm told Arsenal have the scheme already in place.  £40 for a new membership and £25 for renewal.  Presumably that's for adults. 

Offline Bennyo

• Wasn't arsed about having a custom title, so all he got was this.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 6, 2008, 06:12:34 pm »
Fantastic - I fully support SOS and every statement it has made thus far. It has the club's best interests as it's No.1 and only priority. I'll make it home for Sunday just for this.

Offline JayCee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: June 6, 2008, 06:41:01 pm »
Had to read the part about the price of fancards three times to take it in, fucking unbelievable.

Big thanks to all those involved in SOS.

Offline scousejon

• Isn't called Jon, doesn't live in Woolton and definately doesn't sell iPhone cases
  • Kopite
  • If it aint broke dont hicks it
« Reply #13 on: June 6, 2008, 06:49:16 pm »
I was going to type the biggest almight rant since the begining of all fucking time tomorrow, but i wont bother now, this states a lot of it.

What i want to know is, if this doesnt work, what the hell do we do next. ( i have ideas (maybe extreme), shall i pm them to you shanks?)

ps. have the news been informed of the news, wink wink ;).

I know you dont want to give out specifics online but maybe you should give them some prior warning, maybe, we'll ring you x hours before the "EVENT" ;)
JFT 96

"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 6, 2008, 06:50:47 pm »
Is George Gillett still looking for every last penny? Well, why is he still here? Gillett is happy enough to give the impression he wants to sell. Well, SOS has been told he can sell whenever he wants. The opportunity is there to get out of our club. Why hasn’t he?

Really doesn't surprise me.

Hound the bastards out.

Offline col64

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: June 6, 2008, 06:52:57 pm »
Christ , if we do not get rid of these two American wankers I fear we are going to go  the same way as Leeds

Offline k4bir

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: June 6, 2008, 07:00:26 pm »
well about time we all stood together,and show are strength in numbers,well about time we,ve sat back listened to the bullshit and virtually done nought,lets stand together and show these bastards we mean business,this is a real football club not no Micky mouse franchise hate the fucking word,i agree totally with the origanal post

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #17 on: June 6, 2008, 07:00:31 pm »
what happens to PTS scheme?

anyone know?

Offline liamo3

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • MacKenzie you LIAR!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: June 6, 2008, 07:14:21 pm »
Pts is the same and you will get the new fancard as part of thr 55 quid.
I told you about the tractor doing the pillar box 2001 and all the tickets had off, now they hitting the vans, what next, guns in the T O window.

Offline SadRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 6, 2008, 07:16:30 pm »
All the best!

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #20 on: June 6, 2008, 07:21:36 pm »
not a pts member just wondered if it was being scraped.

not surprised by the latest scheme - they've been running annuel membership schemes at other clubs for a while. i always thought it was a bit of a mistake to tell people..or more accurately lead people to think 3.50 is all they'd ever have to pay for a fancard.

ultimately if nobody signs up for them - then they have to put tickets on general sale to all, first come first served, which means you might not get served at all.

the joys of loyalty schemes.

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #21 on: June 6, 2008, 07:22:17 pm »
Exciting news, waiting for details

Offline liamo3

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • MacKenzie you LIAR!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 6, 2008, 07:28:55 pm »

not surprised by the latest scheme - they've been running annuel membership schemes at other clubs for a while. i always thought it was a bit of a mistake to tell people..or more accurately lead people to think 3.50 is all they'd ever have to pay for a fancard.

ultimately if nobody signs up for them - then they have to put tickets on general sale to all, first come first served, which means you might not get served at all.

Thing is we don't know what these lads can do, PTS could be gone next season or could be doubled in price and be made out to be some kind of wonderfull scheme, the only 2 things I'm 100% sure of & that's our so called custodians care only about themselves and care nothing for the fans and I'm 100% certain of that! And that they are pricing young local and non local kids and families out of the game that's a certainty too
I told you about the tractor doing the pillar box 2001 and all the tickets had off, now they hitting the vans, what next, guns in the T O window.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #23 on: June 6, 2008, 07:32:11 pm »
i know obscene and abusive posts are against the rules but the sooner we get these two fucking arseholes outta OUR club the better.

Fucking bunch of fucking fucks. i hate them, badly.

Oi Tom And George listen carefully.

FUCK OFF WE DONT WANT YOU HERE YOU PAIR O c*nts.

have a nice day
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #24 on: June 6, 2008, 07:34:26 pm »
hmmm. not being a pts member i wouldnt be agrieved at all if pts goes, think it might make it fairer for all fans. A first come first served scheme with window sales would give locals the distinct advantage.

i think the pricing out of the game has been going on since 1990. This is just another branch of that.

one positive - it might price the touts out of the game.  :D

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: June 6, 2008, 07:49:49 pm »
hmmm. not being a pts member i wouldnt be agrieved at all if pts goes, think it might make it fairer for all fans. A first come first served scheme with window sales would give locals the distinct advantage.

i think the pricing out of the game has been going on since 1990. This is just another branch of that.

one positive - it might price the touts out of the game.  :D

but also prices out local kids
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #26 on: June 6, 2008, 07:55:26 pm »
Nice to see SOS out Gillett as the greedy, snake-like c*nt that he is.

An excellent piece on all the issues.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #27 on: June 6, 2008, 07:55:38 pm »
local kids have long been priced out starting with the introduction of seats on the kop.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: June 6, 2008, 08:02:52 pm »
It still begs the question, what is Gillett wanting? The only thing I can think of is that they are both in it as thick as thieves - gosh, never has that simile been more aptly referenced. What is their end game?
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: June 6, 2008, 08:04:55 pm »
You could at least spell Degen correctly if you're going to undermine him before he's even kicked a ball for us.

Offline lfc4eva99

• Anny Roader
  • JFT 96 - Gone But Never Forgotten - YNWA
« Reply #30 on: June 6, 2008, 08:05:38 pm »
When and what time?
"At the end of the storm, is a golden sky."

Offline chrishughes

• no brainer...
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: June 6, 2008, 08:10:42 pm »
Liverpool FC is likely to be outspent this summer by more than Manchester Utd and Chelsea (the benchmark in at home and in Europe and the target to catch) but also by Manchester City, West Ham and Tottenham Hotspur. There’s no Daniel Alves, there’s Philip Degan. Degan may be a good player or he may not, but he does not have a strong shout to be the world’s leading right back. He is available for free, however.

The money part to me is the most frustrating. To me I think there's a better chance that the teams below us will catch us than us catching the teams above us. 

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: June 6, 2008, 08:15:39 pm »
local kids have long been priced out starting with the introduction of seats on the kop.

but this further stunt isnt going to help
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #33 on: June 6, 2008, 08:23:41 pm »
You could at least spell Degen correctly if you're going to undermine him before he's even kicked a ball for us.

In fairness i dont think it was so much aimed at Degen personally but just using him as an example of the kind of purchase that it appears we are being forced to make.

2nd or 3rd choices - again.

Must admit ive been holding on to the hope that our distinctly average shopping list was nothing more than a smoke screen with one or two big signings being conducted out of the glare of the media spotlight. The more you see and hear though the more it seems strikingly obvious that we are scraping around transfers at a distinct advantage - we have no money.

The thought of Tom Hicks and George Gillette sitting in their nice big houses back in the states rubbing their hands together absolutely sickens me. What they are doing to our club - a national and global institution - is appalling. How they live with theirselves throwing out the lies and bile is beyond comprehension. They have no soul as far as i am concerned.

In relation to our on the field chances next season and beyond. If they carry on refusing to sell where is this going to take us if it is true that we are potless? How many seasons of scraping around being mightily outspent by Spurs, Man City, West Ham etc can we take before they catch us? How many seasons like that will Rafa and the players take before they start wondering whether they are at the right club. The club with the ambition to match theirs?

Our great club certainly has the ambition from the supporters and most definitely from the manager as well as the players. Where is the ambition to take the club forward IN FOOTBALL TERMS from our "custodions"?

You will have to work long and hard to find any sporting goals from those two. If anyone was in any doubt about their priorities surely now it is so glaringly obvious even the most short sighted of supporters can see for themselves.

You are not wanted. Not liked. No longer will you be tolerated.

G + H - Get out of our club.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 6, 2008, 08:26:28 pm »

He's not been undermined. More used as a way of enforcing a point.

Offline irishweeman

• Kemlynite
« Reply #35 on: June 6, 2008, 08:27:59 pm »
I supported the PTS scheme when Everton and United tickets were not a aprt of it.

Great system to get tickets for any league home game that I want

Does not discriminate as you seem to want to those who live outside of Liverpool

Great to have the card. Excellent value for money, no increase this year

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: June 6, 2008, 08:32:15 pm »
Thank fuck and amen. I am on my way up tomorrow. Will be bringing a van full of big lumps with me an all.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 6, 2008, 08:39:30 pm »
FFS we are trying to reclaim our club. Do we really need the spelling police on top of the naysayers.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline KiNki

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
« Reply #38 on: June 6, 2008, 08:39:46 pm »
but this further stunt isnt going to help

help kids no it wont.

Its quite a quandry isnt it...we wont to compete with manchester united and generate a similar income to compete on the transfer front. Where they lead, we will follow, from three kits a season, tv channels, superstores, whoring ourselves to asia and membership schemes that dont guarentee tickets.

if we dont we remain financially behind.

unfortunately we didnt have the nouce to compete off field with manchester united for the best part of 20 years and are now playing catch up.

you pay your money - you take your choice. by the fan cards or dont.

there's only one feasible way to burst this balloon is for all football fans to boycott games/fancards/merberships/shirt prices/ or hope for government intervention and fixed ticket prices and schemes. 

Offline Baz76

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: June 6, 2008, 08:40:41 pm »
We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in Stanley Park and on the streets and roads; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength on the ground. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by SOS, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."