Author Topic: Rhian Brewster  (Read 332030 times)

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Re: Rhian Brewster, set to leave
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2018, 12:18:10 am »
My first thought was Sterling. If he thinks he’s good enough why leave now?

When Sterling got his first starts for the team we were at a very low ebb and Sterling is absolutely brilliant.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #241 on: May 16, 2018, 07:32:11 am »
When Sterling got his first starts for the team we were at a very low ebb and Sterling is absolutely brilliant.

look at all the game time Solanke had despite not scoring as a striker.

Brewster would have got games if not injured half the season and then if he takes his chance like Sterling did he'd stay around the first team.

It's like Rossiter where it's only his injury that stopped him getting games.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:34:24 am by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2018, 07:36:16 am »
I agree to an extent but players like Brewster and Woodburn are a victim of our success. We have one of the most potent attacks in World Football and it is incredibly difficult to see players coming through and dislodging our front three. We are also hopefully getting towards the end of a building progress so we haven't really got time to blood youngsters.

I think Brewster is a huge talent and I hope that we sign him up on a new contract and get him some loans that allow him to get plenty of game time. The negative for him is that teams are less likely to develop a player they have on loan compared to a player that they own. Maybe a compromise in which he signs a deal for us and is then sold at some point but with us having an option to resign him for a fixed fee at a later date.

Yet we've got no squad depth. I'd say it's an ideal time to come through if we want to compete on 4 fronts. particularly after a World Cup.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2018, 01:59:42 pm »
Brewster needs a little more patience. The talk was Klopp was going to promote him to the first team squad and from there he'll get minutes. I'll be sad to see him go as I think he is our best prospect.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #244 on: May 16, 2018, 02:33:00 pm »
look at all the game time Solanke had despite not scoring as a striker.

Brewster would have got games if not injured half the season and then if he takes his chance like Sterling did he'd stay around the first team.

It's like Rossiter where it's only his injury that stopped him getting games.

This has been said quite a bit but who would have dropped out for him to get those minutes? It wouldn't be the front 3 so would Solanke or Ings not play so Brewster could get in or is he behind them? Wilson was tearing up the youth teams with goals and assists for how long and couldn't get into the side with less competition as he plays wide 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:40:25 pm by RyanBabel19 »

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2018, 05:02:34 pm »
This has been said quite a bit but who would have dropped out for him to get those minutes? It wouldn't be the front 3 so would Solanke or Ings not play so Brewster could get in or is he behind them? Wilson was tearing up the youth teams with goals and assists for how long and couldn't get into the side with less competition as he plays wide

We've been crying out for a back up option who can offer a goal threat. Solanke and Ings have 1 goal each over a lot of minutes/appearances between them. In the end we've squeezed more out of the front three than we'd have liked due to the lack of a goal threat there from the back ups (plus Lallana injury).

Brewster would have got an opportunity, if he took it then he'd have got more opportunities.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #246 on: May 16, 2018, 06:32:29 pm »
Yet we've got no squad depth. I'd say it's an ideal time to come through if we want to compete on 4 fronts. particularly after a World Cup.

For the front three we have got depth though at the start of the season we had Salah, Firmino, Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge and AOC plus the likes of Solanke, Ings, Woodburn and Wilson. It is easily the most stacked part of the team.

The likliehood for me is that we will bring in replacements for Coutinho and possibly Ings.

Brewster has barely played for the U23's so for me there is very little chance of him forcing his way into the first team on a regular basis in the near future. I think his best option is a loan to get used to playing first team games.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: May 18, 2018, 10:42:41 am »

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: May 18, 2018, 10:49:51 am »
For the front three we have got depth though at the start of the season we had Salah, Firmino, Mane, Coutinho, Lallana, Sturridge and AOC plus the likes of Solanke, Ings, Woodburn and Wilson. It is easily the most stacked part of the team.

Both Ox and Lallana are much better in midfield though, so the drop off in quality from Salah/Firmino/Mane to one of them playing as a forward is just as much as with Ings/Solanke. Whereas Phil was both a forward and a midfielder.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: May 19, 2018, 05:08:29 pm »
@_pauljoyce: Liverpool have cancelled the pre-season friendly with Borussia Mönchengladbach (Anfield, August 7) over the German club’s interest in Rhian Brewster. Club officials have also written to Mönchengladbach warning them over their conduct in pursuing teenager.

Pretty strong response by us

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: May 19, 2018, 05:10:32 pm »
@_pauljoyce: Liverpool have cancelled the pre-season friendly with Borussia Mönchengladbach (Anfield, August 7) over the German club’s interest in Rhian Brewster. Club officials have also written to Mönchengladbach warning them over their conduct in pursuing teenager.

And rightly so.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 19, 2018, 05:17:47 pm »
Sounds like another Sterling to me so good riddance to the lad.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2018, 05:23:28 pm »
Sounds like another Sterling to me so good riddance to the lad.

Certainly doesn’t seem like he’s being well advised does he?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2018, 05:31:57 pm »
If he turns into a sterling level player I wouldn’t say good riddance - but he does seem to be a bit greedy for the limelight.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #254 on: May 19, 2018, 05:34:23 pm »
The lads not even close to Sterling level when they were at the same level, let alone U23s and let alone senior level.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 19, 2018, 05:44:07 pm »
Happy coincidence having a friendly to cancel, short of that we'd be stuck in 'strongly worded letter' territory. That friendly must be worth something in the region of £1m to monchengladbach so it will be more than a minor annoyance to them.

That said, I'm still not sure I understand the moral distinction between this and what we did to Chelsea to acquire him.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: May 19, 2018, 05:50:26 pm »
Happy coincidence having a friendly to cancel, short of that we'd be stuck in 'strongly worded letter' territory. That friendly must be worth something in the region of £1m to monchengladbach so it will be more than a minor annoyance to them.

That said, I'm still not sure I understand the moral distinction between this and what we did to Chelsea to acquire him.
No idea what happened when we got him from Chelsea but cant remember them them kicking up a fuss. With this its hard to see it being worse than what we've been caught doing with tapping up recently, but we need to make a big deal of it to try and put off other clubs trying to get our youth players on the cheap.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #257 on: May 19, 2018, 06:05:30 pm »

I didn't even know they where playing a friendly vs them  ;D

Brewster needs to be careful, they've already snapped up one young forward, the pathway there to the first team isnt' going to be very easy either if he goes. Sure not as hard as here, but still.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2018, 06:09:07 pm »
Shame as the two clubs have quite good relations.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2018, 07:22:33 pm »

Just love what we have become - winners.
Not so long ago we were loaning players from Chelsea.

Massive respect (and I have been a critic) to FSG, Edwards and most of all Herr Klopp!!!
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2018, 07:26:04 pm »
Hope this is the first step in the process of shutting down all of the talk of him leaving. I'm sure part of this 'frustration' that he/his agent have is down to being injured. His stock/profile was sky high after the u17 world cup then he had a torrid time with injuries and fell off the map a bit.

Mission accomplished, you've got his name back in the news and you've created a buzz around the lad. Now let's f*** these Germans off, get him fit and a professional contract and let him be Bobby's understudy.

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #261 on: May 19, 2018, 07:28:12 pm »

Now we just sign their young players... ;)

Agree with your point though!

Offline hansenite

• Main Stander
« Reply #262 on: May 19, 2018, 10:51:20 pm »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/19/liverpool-cancel-borussia-monchengladbach-friendly-rhian-brewster/

Chris Bascombe
19 MAY 2018 • 5:00PM
Liverpool’s dispute with Borussia Monchengladbach following an alleged illegal approach for teenager Rhian Brewster has intensified with the postponement of a prestigious pre-season fixture between the clubs.

The German club were heading to Anfield on August 7 for a curtain-raiser to the 2018-19 season. But such is the acrimony sparked by the pursuit of Brewster, Liverpool have withdrawn the invitation and written to the Bundesliga side to issue a warning about their conduct.

Liverpool believe Brewster has been spoken to without permission.

Monchengladbach’s Sporting Director Max Eberl has made no secret of his admiration for the emerging talent in English football. On Friday, Monchengladbach signed 19-year-old Keanan Bennetts from Tottenham Hotspur.

Liverpool believe the chase for Brewster has gone too far and they are ready to take the matter to Fifa.

Liverpool offered Brewster his first professional contract at the earliest opportunity – when Academy players turn 18 – but it remains unsigned as other interest parties came forward.

Monchengladbach would appear to be most advanced and their pursuit has certainly riled Liverpool.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:58:28 pm by hansenite »

Offline hansenite

• Main Stander
« Reply #263 on: May 19, 2018, 11:05:05 pm »
Just love what we have become - winners.

Massive respect (and I have been a critic) to FSG, Edwards and most of all Herr Klopp!!!

I couldn't agree more with the brave, smart, incisive and professional way the club is being run.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: May 20, 2018, 11:23:39 am »
I wouldn't post stuff from Bascombe on here. Former NotW "journalist".

Offline gkmacca

• Kopite
« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2018, 01:04:36 pm »
I didn't even know they where playing a friendly vs them  ;D

Brewster needs to be careful, they've already snapped up one young forward, the pathway there to the first team isnt' going to be very easy either if he goes. Sure not as hard as here, but still.

On top of the playing challenges, another thing that is often overlooked is the fact that it can be really tough for a kid of his age to find himself in a foreign country, unable to speak the language, and probably very isolated outside of training hours. I wonder if some agents bother to ponder that very much as they race to seal a deal. Ryan Kent had a miserable spell in Germany and hasn't seemed the same since he came back. Brewster needs to take wider counsel on this.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: May 20, 2018, 01:07:19 pm »
On top of the playing challenges, another thing that is often overlooked is the fact that it can be really tough for a kid of his age to find himself in a foreign country, unable to speak the language, and probably very isolated outside of training hours. I wonder if some agents bother to ponder that very much as they race to seal a deal. Ryan Kent had a miserable spell in Germany and hasn't seemed the same since he came back. Brewster needs to take wider counsel on this.

just because Kent had a poor time there doesn't mean he will as well, there is no rule that applies to all.

Offline gkmacca

• Kopite
« Reply #267 on: May 20, 2018, 01:09:22 pm »
just because Kent had a poor time there doesn't mean he will as well, there is no rule that applies to all.

No, of course not, but it's also perfectly fair to note that playing football won't be the only challenge to a young player moving to another country at that age.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #268 on: May 20, 2018, 01:28:36 pm »

the language thing isn't a massive issue in Germany.  Although a young player will be encouraged and will be given German lessons of course, as you'd expect.

It's tough for any youngster regardless of nationality though,but there is plenty of evidence of young players going to and thriving in Germany.

For sure though you are right there are so many factors. To go there on loan is one thing (like Reece Oxford and Ademola Lookman did) and do well and enjoy the experience as both did, but signing a long term deal is a big step for a teenager. 

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: May 20, 2018, 03:17:23 pm »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/05/19/liverpool-cancel-borussia-monchengladbach-friendly-rhian-brewster/

Chris Bascombe
19 MAY 2018 • 5:00PM
Liverpool’s dispute with Borussia Monchengladbach following an alleged illegal approach for teenager Rhian Brewster has intensified with the postponement of a prestigious pre-season fixture between the clubs.

The German club were heading to Anfield on August 7 for a curtain-raiser to the 2018-19 season. But such is the acrimony sparked by the pursuit of Brewster, Liverpool have withdrawn the invitation and written to the Bundesliga side to issue a warning about their conduct.

Liverpool believe Brewster has been spoken to without permission.

Monchengladbach’s Sporting Director Max Eberl has made no secret of his admiration for the emerging talent in English football. On Friday, Monchengladbach signed 19-year-old Keanan Bennetts from Tottenham Hotspur.

Liverpool believe the chase for Brewster has gone too far and they are ready to take the matter to Fifa.

Liverpool offered Brewster his first professional contract at the earliest opportunity – when Academy players turn 18 – but it remains unsigned as other interest parties came forward.

Monchengladbach would appear to be most advanced and their pursuit has certainly riled Liverpool.
Didn't think Bascombe was allowed on here after his stint with the Sunday Scum.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: May 20, 2018, 03:32:39 pm »
Certainly doesn’t seem like he’s being well advised does he?
Not one bit, and they can't blame their age for listening to the money grabbing agents either.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:37 pm »
His mum is Turkish, isn't she? Could well be that they have family over there.

I would hate it if agents are using us to develop young players so that they get recognition, then do a runner when money calls. If it wasn't about money he would stay and compete for a place in the cups .

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #272 on: May 20, 2018, 04:10:54 pm »
He's another Ince it seems. He got the same bad advice and where's he now?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #273 on: May 20, 2018, 04:39:55 pm »
Seems to be the opinion on twitter hes now staying

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2018, 05:32:57 pm »
He's another Ince it seems. He got the same bad advice and where's he now?

To be fair to Ince he is a PL player now.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: May 20, 2018, 05:33:17 pm »

Hopefully, that is the case.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: May 20, 2018, 05:48:20 pm »
Huzzah. I love Twitter when it tells me what I want to hear, and these are the times when I choose to believe the supposed ITK ramblings of 14 year olds masquerading as footy journos. Presumably that strongly worded letter did the trick then? Fantastic.

Online G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2018, 06:29:37 pm »
Hopefully he stays and signs a deal. If he’s good, he’ll get his chance here. There are a few players who are making real names for themselves at the moment, and Brewster has got to like what he sees. He’s young enough where he can afford a bit more patience. If he signs a pro deal and is still not getting a look after two years, fine, consider moving on. But not now. The timing is lousy. We are going places and there’s room on the bus for an exciting and fast young striker.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2018, 07:33:54 pm »
I wouldn't post stuff from Bascombe on here. Former NotW "journalist".

Appears regularly on LFCTV so not sure where to stand on this anymore as does Lawro?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline The Istvan Kozma Fan Club

• Kopite
« Reply #279 on: May 22, 2018, 06:59:14 am »