Author Topic: An American's introduction to English Football  (Read 8639 times)

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
Re: An American's introduction to English Football
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2009, 02:34:30 pm »
We as in Georgetown (with your Hoya handle and all)? GU didn't make the final four that year, they met Florida in the 3rd round. That game was completely incredible, though.. We steamrolled everyone in the NCAA tournament that year except for Georgetown. I honestly think it's a shame that those two teams met so early because I think they were the class of the tournament, considering how we completely unraveled Mason and UCLA.

Yeah we did. You're thinking of 2006. Last year we sucked. Two seasons ago we lost to Davidson in the second round. Three seasons ago final four before losing to Ohio State.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2009, 04:30:36 pm »
don't know if I have ever seen a team do less with more than last years G-town team. In comparison, you might even say Newcastle didn't do half bad ;D

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2009, 06:14:48 pm »
don't know if I have ever seen a team do less with more than last years G-town team. In comparison, you might even say Newcastle didn't do half bad ;D

Well we did manage to beat Maryland pretty good  ;D

In all seriousness, I think we'll be better this year. We lost a lot through graduation before last year, Summers' head was already in the NBA, Monroe's body wasn't ready to go toe to toe with the DeJuan Blairs of the Big East, and we were hurt by Wright having to run the show without having any experience from 2007-08.

I'm still not sure how we lost to St. John's twice in one week.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2009, 06:15:54 pm »
apparently simmons was on cohen's show yesterday...

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2009, 06:30:03 pm »
I love Bill Simmons... I end up listening to his podcasts a lot in my car.  Would be great if he talked more about "soccer".  He had Steve Nash (Spurs fan) on yesterday but haven't listened yet so don't know if they talked about it.

Briefly. Simmons whined about them being called "Spurs" and not "the Spurs". They talked about Nash as a potential part owner of Tottenham, Nash said he wasn't nearly rich enough for it, they butchered the dollar/pound exchange rate. I think that was pretty much it.

Shame about him going on Cohen's show.

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2009, 07:39:52 pm »
apparently simmons was on cohen's show yesterday...
Was just about to post that...   I probably should give him the benefit of the doubt - he may have had no clue what's been going on these last few months - but I won't.  Ignorance not an excuse in this case unless he's literally been under a rock.

Don't even think about coming anywhere near Liverpool, Bill.   :wanker
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 07:41:26 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline jerseyhoya

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2009, 09:03:30 pm »
I know it's gotten a lot of play here and on some soccer blogs, but I'd be shocked if Simmons had any idea about the controversy. I'd guess he had no effing clue who Steve Cohen was until he got a call Wednesday from someone at ESPN saying, "Hey, we booked you tomorrow morning on a national soccer radio show to talk about your US-Mexico article and about the sport's opportunity to grow in America."

*Note: I didn't listen to the interview, so feel free to make fun of me if what he said on the show makes what I wrote embarrassingly wrong

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2009, 10:28:26 pm »
I know it's gotten a lot of play here and on some soccer blogs, but I'd be shocked if Simmons had any idea about the controversy.

thats what i thought - as far as i am aware the boycott wasnt widely publicised on many of the blogs he's stated he reads (deadspin, TBL) so i doubt he'd have known about it

I'd guess he had no effing clue who Steve Cohen was until he got a call Wednesday from someone at ESPN saying, "Hey, we booked you tomorrow morning on a national soccer radio show to talk about your US-Mexico article and about the sport's opportunity to grow in America."

and the next day WSD was gone - irony! ;D

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2009, 12:07:02 am »
thats what i thought - as far as i am aware the boycott wasnt widely publicised on many of the blogs he's stated he reads (deadspin, TBL) so i doubt he'd have known about it

and the next day WSD was gone - irony! ;D
Not really an excuse though considering the Cohen issue even made the soccer blog of the New York Times?   If that's as well as he or ESPN vets things before agreeing to an interview, that's pathetic.   I seriously doubt that anyone that writes about baseball for ESPN would go on any show without thoroughly checking it - and its host - out for any potential issues.   So why should a soccer writer whore himself out?  Sorry for the strong language but I'm less impressed the more I think about it.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2009, 12:18:31 am »
Not really an excuse though considering the Cohen issue even made the soccer blog of the New York Times?   If that's as well as he or ESPN vets things before agreeing to an interview, that's pathetic.   I seriously doubt that anyone that writes about baseball for ESPN would go on any show without thoroughly checking it - and its host - out for any potential issues.   So why should a soccer writer whore himself out?  Sorry for the strong language but I'm less impressed the more I think about it.

in simmons' defence john barnes also went on wsd and he evidently didnt know about the boycott and barnes is a liverpool legend who still lives in the area whereas simmons is a guy from boston who lives in la who's expressed a respect for whatr LFC stand for and not much else