Author Topic: Our fantastic away support  (Read 1521839 times)

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Our fantastic away support
« Reply #5480 on: April 20, 2015, 06:59:36 pm »
I was in 117 yesterday and didn't think it was that bad...am I the only one?

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5481 on: April 20, 2015, 07:13:19 pm »
I think blocks 500 onwards are the upper tier aren't they? I was lucky to get one in there from a mate who worked at Wembley for the League Cup final in 2012. He got them for me through an internal ballot for Wembley employees. I was lucky in that he's a mate who gave it to me at face value but from looking around me at the time and chatting to a couple of the lads around me it seemed like big numbers had paid through the nose through touts. I remember looking over to behind the goal where it looked and sounded louder.

It's no wonder so many tickets end up in the hands of touts though when such a large number are available to people with no connection to either side.
I prioritised CL this year, and couldn't afford league games, CL and cup games. I was offered a FV ticket through someone I know from the Sandon. Had had absolutely no luck getting another for a mate, not a sniff, but he was in the Rocket in Euston at tail end of his cousin's stag before KO and got offered a FV spare by some kind randoms. Good people, doing the right thing are out there even for the games with the biggest premium.

Was in 115, some singing round me but the fella next to me just slagged off the team (esp Sterling) and the manager all the way through. Only sang when we scored quickly reverted to slagging them off when Villa scored. Depressing.

Majority of singing in that section seemed to be further to the back, looked round a few times and wished I was there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:31:24 pm by Levitz »
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline gav91v

• Kopite
« Reply #5482 on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:54 pm »
I was in 117 yesterday and didn't think it was that bad...am I the only one?

Was in 117 as well, did think it was good in the first half, people behind me always starting songs and most people would join in, but in the second half people gave up or just turned to having a go at every little thing that went wrong. Few people were still trying but the performance didnt give much for others to join in.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5483 on: April 20, 2015, 07:26:37 pm »
It was crap.

Everyone started standing and most were sitting down after about 10 minutes (voluntarily).

Offline Flyhalf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5484 on: April 20, 2015, 07:48:40 pm »
Disdain from those originated from Liverpool to those who dare to follow the team from outside the city.

Experienced this for the first time in forty years of supporting the team. Was in the upper yesterday and very vocal as I normally am but in a positive way. Not one for slagging the players off all game though I must admit it was difficult yesterday! Allen was subbed so I turned to my sis and said 'how the fuck is Gerrard still on, he's done sod all'. The Scouse guy in front turned around and I didn't realise he was talking to me at first till I heard 'fuck of and support your local team, people like you are what's wrong with this club'. I was stunned. It sounds stupid but I felt like someone had punched me - I could have cried! 

I didn't dignify him with trying to defend myself just asked him what he thought Gerrard had contributed and told him to wind his fucking neck in. Needless to say he didn't answer me.
What was a shitty day felt so much worse and still feel low about it now. I'm not claiming to be a superfan but I've been to every home league, CL, FA, Europa and league cup game this season as well as chelsea away in the LC each with at least an 8 hour round trip each time. I fucking love this club and always will but something died yesterday and it's left me quite sad

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5485 on: April 20, 2015, 08:20:12 pm »
Was in 117 as well, did think it was good in the first half, people behind me always starting songs and most people would join in, but in the second half people gave up or just turned to having a go at every little thing that went wrong. Few people were still trying but the performance didnt give much for others to join in.

Yeah it was fine in the first half, and everyone was standing the whole match.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5486 on: April 20, 2015, 08:20:28 pm »
Wtf has taking a bit of coke at the game got to so with being a robbing smackhead ??

It's the stereotypes that come flying out as soon as somebody mentions a scouser in a negative light, even amongst our own supporters, i've seen it a lot on social media the last couple years and if you scratch the surface it's present even on here in some people.

"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5487 on: April 20, 2015, 08:25:26 pm »
Who's was this then? ;D

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5488 on: April 20, 2015, 08:25:51 pm »
It's the stereotypes that come flying out as soon as somebody mentions a scouser in a negative light, even amongst our own supporters, i've seen it a lot on social media the last couple years and if you scratch the surface it's present even on here in some people.
no it's a section of the support that are fucking twats, see Athens 2007

Are you for real? "the little scouser lot"? Its people like you that make goin the match as shite as it is now! you've probably got no idea about the culture and identity of the club and City! Incase you didn't realise the club and its fanbase should represent the city! Imagine an away end with no locals! The club would have no identity whatsoever! Liverpool are reknown for having a unique fanbase/dressing differently/singing different songs! All because of locals no OOt's!
the little scouser comment is a play on little Britons - basically someone who is so myopic they hate the idea of someone who doesn't live in a L postcode having a seat on kop (and God forbid someone coming from abroad) and those who love slagging off past managers for not playing more local lads from the academy when the reason is that they're largely nowhere near good enough (basically a reference to the original most), hardly a reference to everyone

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5489 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27:30 pm »
Powerful picture

Erm what the actual fuck is that?!?!

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5490 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27:34 pm »
Fucking disgrace that, literally can't believe a Liverpool fan has just said it.

It's the shite like this that constantly perpetuates the scouser vs OOT debate unfortunately, both sides has bellends
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #5491 on: April 20, 2015, 08:38:47 pm »
Quote from: Crosby Wych link=topic=154980.msg13779347#msg13779347 date=1429535686

[img width=600 height=600
http://s22.postimg.org/w2b4av0f5/image.jpg[/img]

Fucking boss those superhero suits, me and my lad are going to get them for next season, to stand at the front of the Kop as usual and do our wavers, hopefully when I turn around everyone in the Kop will be wearing Wanker Hats and jingling the bells in approval.

That will drown out those few nuisances who keep disturbing people trying to sing songs about a guy called Tommy wondering around the fields around Anfield rd before getting shot in the arse,

Wonder if I can talk the OTK flag lads and Chris, Andy and the rest of the SpionKop1906 lads into getting superhero suits too !!!!

FSG will marvel at what they have created.

Coming soon..............
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline Jrkopite

• Main Stander
« Reply #5492 on: April 20, 2015, 08:40:00 pm »
If I was to have a stab in the dark id say your from the south of England,vote Conservative and is digusted by smokebombs etc
Why do you support Liverpool if you have such a low opinion of scousers?

Fuckin'ell, there's loads of people down south who'd rather stab themselves in the eye than vote for those fuckers!
Very depressing thread, this.

Online butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #5493 on: April 20, 2015, 08:40:45 pm »
totally wrong, born and grew up on merseyside and never voted Tory
take the emotion out and see the point I'm trying to make, it's those who have a very very small time mentality that I have an issue with who hold the club back (eg tlw forums have lots of this)

There's ways to express that without saying what you did, that's all. You've made some huge generalizations seemingly about our more working class local fan base, based on.. well not much if you're being honest. If it was the other way round and someone like myself or Crosby got on our soapbox about "typical OOT's" I dare say you'd have something to say about it?

If it was me and I'd had time to reflect on something like that, seemingly said in the heat of the moment, I'd probably take some of it back/rephrase, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:42:17 pm by butchersdog »

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5494 on: April 20, 2015, 08:45:03 pm »
There's ways to express that without saying what you did, that's all. You've made some huge generalizations seemingly about our more working class local fan base, based on.. well not much if you're being honest. If it was the other way round and someone like myself or Crosby got on our soapbox about "typical OOT's" I dare say you'd have something to say about it?

If it was me and I'd had time to reflect on something like that, seemingly said in the heat of the moment, I'd probably take some of it back/rephrase, but that's just me.
fair point wasn't brilliantly worded but it's safe to say there are factions of the fanbase (local and oot'er) that I ain't that keen on, and in fairness the clubs ticketing policies tend to exaggerate this. Then again I'm still pissed off in general with Sunday so it's probably that

Offline Sooty89!!!

• Simpleton with a Repressed Replica Top Fetish.
  • Kopite
« Reply #5495 on: April 20, 2015, 08:47:08 pm »
fair point wasn't brilliantly worded but it's safe to say there are factions of the fanbase (local and oot'er) that I ain't that keen on, and in fairness the clubs ticketing policies tend to exaggerate this. Then again I'm still pissed off in general with Sunday so it's probably that
There are probably factions of our support who aren't to keen on the type of supporter you are!

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5496 on: April 20, 2015, 08:49:55 pm »
There are probably factions of our support who aren't to keen on the type of supporter you are!
i have read this thread btw ;)

Online butchersdog

• Kopite
« Reply #5497 on: April 20, 2015, 08:54:36 pm »

Fair play. Same, agree with you there. Can't have been nice for the OP who got an ear full on Sunday, felt sad reading his post. I've had arguments with people at the game before who've been chatting shit but I feel there's gonna be more people getting unfair stick going forward. It's the club who've brought it to this really with the ticketing strategy and prices, people are frustrated.

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #5498 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:28 pm »
Still pissed off about the support yesterday. Me and my mate Harry did our very best in 512 to get things going, yet nobody joined in. At half time I spoke to a little kid, no older than 8 yyears old, and I told him to not be afraid to start singing, to be proud to raise his voice in support for the reds. He seemed really pleased for the idea that he could do this, yet his dad then said, Don't San, you'll make yourself look like a right pillock.

Sorry but that's me done ladies and gentlemen.

Little kid by me, probably about 6 or 7 was stood staring at my lad waving his flag, we start singing YNWA and my boy wants to hold his scarf so i'm holding his flag and this little fella is staring at me with the flag whilst his auld fella is texting someone.  So I give the kid the flag and tell him to wave it if he wants and his face was a picture.  30 seconds in, text sent, and his auld fella looks at him and tells him to 'give that back cause the people behind you can't see'.

The whole thing depresses me now, I need the summer.............................
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5499 on: April 20, 2015, 09:29:35 pm »
Fair play. Same, agree with you there. Can't have been nice for the OP who got an ear full on Sunday, felt sad reading his post. I've had arguments with people at the game before who've been chatting shit but I feel there's gonna be more people getting unfair stick going forward. It's the club who've brought it to this really with the ticketing strategy and prices, people are frustrated.
its that but it's also in the last decade the whole 'fan culture' has changed, the worst bit is the fucking soccer am chants (was fucking raging hearing the kop sing 'you're not singing anymore' against Beşiktaş) but you've got the brigade (mostly young) who see going to the match as an opportunity to take shit loads of photos for their insta page as well as the prices (although that's helped phase out a lot of the lads who came primarily to support/watch the team and it makes going to the match more of an event than a regular thing), but I don't see these owners staying for a long time so I can't see them doing much in terms of ticket prices

As for yesterday was a bit of an issue around 119/120 with people standing, but personally always see behind the goal at Wembley as the 'kop' but the more central the more 'main stand' it gets (and I'm fine with it as you can sing perfectly well sat down)

Offline Yozza1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5500 on: April 20, 2015, 09:32:24 pm »
We got it going outside the globe and it was sound. Got it goin on the tube also, but when we got in it was shit. Was in 106 and we tried getting it going with a few others but nothing. Also got a photo of a full kit wanker on me phone which I'll throw up. Our supports finished

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5501 on: April 20, 2015, 09:46:25 pm »
The grievances expressed in this thread isn't just a Liverpool thing . You'll see similar gripes at most clubs but especially in the Premier League , more so with bigger clubs . Read an article a while back with Borussia Dortmund fans getting pissed off with the numbers of football tourists attending their games ( doesn't seem to affect the atmosphere though ).

There are some myths about Anfield and the kop from the 70's and 80's , but got to say the last few years have hit new lows . You think it can't get any worse and it does.

Sad thing is , it's not going to change anytime soon despite peoples best efforts - too many contributing factors .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Nottsred

• Main Stander
« Reply #5502 on: April 20, 2015, 09:53:29 pm »
What a shitty sad demoralising thread this has become.

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5503 on: April 20, 2015, 09:54:02 pm »

Mirrors our current away ends I guess

Offline Nottsred

• Main Stander
« Reply #5504 on: April 20, 2015, 09:58:37 pm »
YNWA eh!!

Offline Redman0151

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5505 on: April 20, 2015, 10:03:55 pm »
YNWA eh!!

Try telling that to some of the whoppers who go the game nowadays

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #5506 on: April 20, 2015, 10:14:14 pm »

I think that could apply to most topics on this Forum....these are not happy days....pop over the Boozer or Media and Arts  and feel better about things.

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #5507 on: April 20, 2015, 10:41:55 pm »
A couple of things about yesterdays game.

One Red mentioned about a group of about 10 so called reds being a disgrace on the Metropolitan Line at about 2pm. He said they were singing the Munich song and another little ditty about black and Asian men. It reminded me of an occasion at a European away a few years ago when I asked some teenage lads to stop singing the Munich song and got told to fuck off!!

The second thing that a mate of mine mentioned (he was in the upper tier) was the number of our lads who had to be escorted out by stewards as they were completely battered. He said paramedics had to see 3 people in his area who were out of it one way or another. What happened to the days when men were men and could hold their drink and manage to get to the game without abusing somebody.
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline gerrard88

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #5508 on: April 20, 2015, 10:47:51 pm »
Seeing someone with a captains armband on finished me
Allez Allez Allez

Offline Levitz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5509 on: April 20, 2015, 10:48:18 pm »
Powerful picture

On the other end of the scale, on the Kop this season I had a dad with his lad probably 6 or 7, Dad spent the whole time abusing Glen Johnson amongst others and his lad starts copying him shouting abuse. Broke my heart. that kid should be full of joy and wonder having the time of his life and he's just left spouting the same vitriol as his Dad.
Liverpool ist Rad!

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5510 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56:45 pm »
You'll get idiots in every fan base but  some of the things I saw Sunday opened my eyes a bit.

Offline Mottman

• OCB Rep, King of Bootle, Snake Wrangler Extraordinaire, Member of the Garston is in Runcorn Society
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5511 on: April 21, 2015, 12:04:16 am »
Yonder ground that has wept tears of compassion upon my people for a century, and which to us appears changeless and eternal, may change.

Great foreign Chiefs, unknown to and unknowing of the redmen, drunk with the power of excess money and weaned on strange and childish games, send word they wish to buy our club our team, our history.

Each chief also sends us words of friendship and good will. This is kind, since we know they have little need of our friendship in return.

But we will consider your offer. For we know if we do not sell, you may come with force and take our birthright

How can you buy or sell our spirit, the warmth of the people, the memories of our tribe, the hopes of our youth? The idea is strange to us redmen.

We do not own anything, we inherit dreams and pass them on unblemished to our children, how can you buy this?

Every part of this club is sacred to my people. Every shining trophy, every green blade of grass, every surrounding street and watering hole. The song which echoes through the Kop carries the memory of the redmen.

Your people forget the country of their birth when they go to walk among the stars.

Our dead never forget this beautiful place, for it is the mother of the red man. We are part of this club and it is part of us. The grass of our field carries the ashes of our fallen, its seed impregnated with their dreams and memories.

The scally scouser throng are our brothers and sisters; The Liverbird crests, the ancient flagpole, the body heat of the man close to fellow man - all belong to the same family.

So, when the Great Chief in whatever foreign country sends word that he wishes to buy our club, he asks much of us. The Great Chief sends word that he will reserve us a place so that we can live comfortably to ourselves. He will be our father and we will be his children. So we will consider your offer to buy our club. But only because we are powerless to prevent it ; but it will not be easy. For this club is sacred to us.

This shining water that moves in the great Mersey is not just water but the blood of our ancestors. If you try to own our club, you will receive no help or welcome from me.

If you succeed in your lust to own our club you must remember that it is sacred, and you must teach your children that it is sacred and that each ghostly reflection in the clear water of the Mersey tells of events and memories in the life of the people. The water’s murmur is the voice of my father’s father.
The red man has always had to dance to the drum of the advancing big money man, but your money will never own us.

The ashes of our fathers are sacred. The histories that they gifted us are holy ground, and so is this grass and ground, this portion of the earth is consecrated to us. We know that the money man does not understand our ways.

One “soccer” club is the same to him as the next, for he is a stranger who comes in the night and takes from the club whatever he needs with no regard to tradition or spirit.

We of the birthright and tradition are not his brother, but his enemy, and when he has conquered us, he moves on. He leaves his graves and fledgling traditions behind, and he does not care. Dreams and his children’s birthright are forgotten. He treats his mother, the club and his brother the redmen, as things to be bought, plundered, and sold like sheep or bright beads.

His appetite will devour the game and leave behind only a desert.

I do not know. Our ways are different from your ways. The sight of the clubs your type already own pains the eyes of the red man.

But perhaps it is because the red man is a savage and does not understand. There are many quiet places in the money man’s clubs.

No place to hear the unfurling of hallowed much travelled banners in early autumn or the songs of the forefathers. But perhaps it is because I am a savage and do not understand.

The silence of your “Experience” buyers insults the ears. And what is there to life if a man cannot hear the strains of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” or the arguments of the redmen around their pints at night? I am a redman and do not understand.

The Red Man prefers the sweet silver sound darting over the face of a Kop full of redmen.

The air of the Pool of Life is precious to the redman, for all redmen share the same breath - the same memories and the same sadness.

The money man does not seem to notice the air he breathes, driven only by the lust for possessions and money.

Money man, did your father tell you of the great glories his father saw in 1901, 06, 22 and 23? Did he tell you of the glory he witnessed in 1947, or of the wilderness years that followed so painfully soon?

Did he rejoice to share with you his son the glories of 1964, 65, 66, 73, 74, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88, 89, 90?

Have you since told your son of these deeds and added with him 1992, 95, 2001, 03 and 05? And told him of the songs sung standing where he now sits?

Or were you and your grandfathers drunk on the power of cash in amounts so obscene as to make the bankbook numbers meaningless to me and allow you to buy the dreams built by those who used cash as a means to an end?

The wind that gave our grandfather his first breath also receives his last sigh. And the wind carried spirit and memories to give our children the same spirit of life.  And if we must sell you our club and our dreams, you must keep it apart and sacred; its honour lies in building and creating, not in buying the finished product of some other foundry

The power of greed may enable you to buy our club. If we are forced to accept, the redmen will make one condition:

You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of our grandfathers. So that they will respect the club, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the club is our mother. Whatever befalls the club befalls the sons of the Mersey If men spit on the ground, they spit on themselves.

I fear that the price of admission you have in mind for my people will cleave the redmen to come from their birthright. We will live apart and angry. It will matter little where we spend the rest of our days. Our children will have seen their fathers humbled in defeat. Our warriors will no longer be of us and we will feel great shame, and after defeat they will turn their matchdays in idleness and contaminate their bodies with sweet foods and strong drink. It matters little where we pass the rest of our days. They will not be many.

But when the last redman has vanished from this club, and his memory is only the shadow projected onto the wall of the “Anfield Experience” corporate hospitality show, remember that those blades of grass will still hold the spirits of my people.

And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

And your money will have bought you nothing.

© VWA 2005
(with apologies to Chief Seattle of the Suquamish North American Indians 1786-1866)

Seems rather apt at present.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=93273.0
A boy from the Mersey and a Son of Shankly.

Online butchersdog

• Kopite
« Reply #5512 on: April 21, 2015, 12:34:02 am »
Yonder ground that has wept tears of compassion upon my people for a century, and which to us appears changeless and eternal, may change.

Great foreign Chiefs, unknown to and unknowing of the redmen, drunk with the power of excess money and weaned on strange and childish games, send word they wish to buy our club our team, our history.

Each chief also sends us words of friendship and good will. This is kind, since we know they have little need of our friendship in return.

But we will consider your offer. For we know if we do not sell, you may come with force and take our birthright

How can you buy or sell our spirit, the warmth of the people, the memories of our tribe, the hopes of our youth? The idea is strange to us redmen.

We do not own anything, we inherit dreams and pass them on unblemished to our children, how can you buy this?

Every part of this club is sacred to my people. Every shining trophy, every green blade of grass, every surrounding street and watering hole. The song which echoes through the Kop carries the memory of the redmen.

Your people forget the country of their birth when they go to walk among the stars.

Our dead never forget this beautiful place, for it is the mother of the red man. We are part of this club and it is part of us. The grass of our field carries the ashes of our fallen, its seed impregnated with their dreams and memories.

The scally scouser throng are our brothers and sisters; The Liverbird crests, the ancient flagpole, the body heat of the man close to fellow man - all belong to the same family.

So, when the Great Chief in whatever foreign country sends word that he wishes to buy our club, he asks much of us. The Great Chief sends word that he will reserve us a place so that we can live comfortably to ourselves. He will be our father and we will be his children. So we will consider your offer to buy our club. But only because we are powerless to prevent it ; but it will not be easy. For this club is sacred to us.

This shining water that moves in the great Mersey is not just water but the blood of our ancestors. If you try to own our club, you will receive no help or welcome from me.

If you succeed in your lust to own our club you must remember that it is sacred, and you must teach your children that it is sacred and that each ghostly reflection in the clear water of the Mersey tells of events and memories in the life of the people. The water’s murmur is the voice of my father’s father.
The red man has always had to dance to the drum of the advancing big money man, but your money will never own us.

The ashes of our fathers are sacred. The histories that they gifted us are holy ground, and so is this grass and ground, this portion of the earth is consecrated to us. We know that the money man does not understand our ways.

One “soccer” club is the same to him as the next, for he is a stranger who comes in the night and takes from the club whatever he needs with no regard to tradition or spirit.

We of the birthright and tradition are not his brother, but his enemy, and when he has conquered us, he moves on. He leaves his graves and fledgling traditions behind, and he does not care. Dreams and his children’s birthright are forgotten. He treats his mother, the club and his brother the redmen, as things to be bought, plundered, and sold like sheep or bright beads.

I do not know. Our ways are different from your ways. The sight of the clubs your type already own pains the eyes of the red man.

But perhaps it is because the red man is a savage and does not understand. There are many quiet places in the money man’s clubs.

No place to hear the unfurling of hallowed much travelled banners in early autumn or the songs of the forefathers. But perhaps it is because I am a savage and do not understand.

The silence of your “Experience” buyers insults the ears. And what is there to life if a man cannot hear the strains of “You’ll Never Walk Alone” or the arguments of the redmen around their pints at night? I am a redman and do not understand.

The Red Man prefers the sweet silver sound darting over the face of a Kop full of redmen.

The air of the Pool of Life is precious to the redman, for all redmen share the same breath - the same memories and the same sadness.

The money man does not seem to notice the air he breathes, driven only by the lust for possessions and money.

Money man, did your father tell you of the great glories his father saw in 1901, 06, 22 and 23? Did he tell you of the glory he witnessed in 1947, or of the wilderness years that followed so painfully soon?

Did he rejoice to share with you his son the glories of 1964, 65, 66, 73, 74, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88, 89, 90?

Have you since told your son of these deeds and added with him 1992, 95, 2001, 03 and 05? And told him of the songs sung standing where he now sits?

Or were you and your grandfathers drunk on the power of cash in amounts so obscene as to make the bankbook numbers meaningless to me and allow you to buy the dreams built by those who used cash as a means to an end?

The wind that gave our grandfather his first breath also receives his last sigh. And the wind carried spirit and memories to give our children the same spirit of life.  And if we must sell you our club and our dreams, you must keep it apart and sacred; its honour lies in building and creating, not in buying the finished product of some other foundry

The power of greed may enable you to buy our club. If we are forced to accept, the redmen will make one condition:

You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of our grandfathers. So that they will respect the club, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the club is our mother. Whatever befalls the club befalls the sons of the Mersey If men spit on the ground, they spit on themselves.

I fear that the price of admission you have in mind for my people will cleave the redmen to come from their birthright. We will live apart and angry. It will matter little where we spend the rest of our days. Our children will have seen their fathers humbled in defeat. Our warriors will no longer be of us and we will feel great shame, and after defeat they will turn their matchdays in idleness and contaminate their bodies with sweet foods and strong drink. It matters little where we pass the rest of our days. They will not be many.

But when the last redman has vanished from this club, and his memory is only the shadow projected onto the wall of the “Anfield Experience” corporate hospitality show, remember that those blades of grass will still hold the spirits of my people.

And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

© VWA 2005
(with apologies to Chief Seattle of the Suquamish North American Indians 1786-1866)

red the whole thing. Very apt indeed mate, and very eloquent.

Slightly off topic, but if you're interested in native american history, just finished reading "The Falcon", the autobiography of John Tanner, a boy captured by Shawnee, and subsequently raised and lived most of his adult life as an Ojibwa. Great first hand account of native american life in the late 1700's - early 1800's. Terrible what happened to them.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #5513 on: April 21, 2015, 02:00:44 am »

© VWA 2005

Very strong and moving.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5514 on: April 21, 2015, 07:55:39 am »
This thread is so depressing, I can't believe it wasn't locked ages ago.

First time I've posted on here for years but felt I had to.

Firstly, what is the obsession with people who wear a replica shirt or scarf to the game? Does that make them any less of a fan? Particularly infuriates me when people have a go at little kids in a shirt - would they have done any different when they were young? Get off your high horses people, we should all be as one.

On Sunday I was at the front of 511 and I've felt thoroughly pi&&ed off about it since. Firstly, the guy two seats to my left who racially abused Balotelli was probably the final straw. Suffice to say I've reported it to Kick It Out and LFC - absolutely unacceptable.

General atmosphere was pretty poor. First half we all stood which was no problem albeit atmosphere was still flat. Second half, everyone sat down bar the guy directly in front of me. When I tapped him on the shoulder, he gave me a nasty look and basically told me to F-Off. Subsequently found out he'd been drinking since 6am. His two mates meanwhile returned for the 2nd half on about 60 minutes then left the ground as soon as the injury time board went up.

Are these guys any better supporters than someone who wears a shirt or scarf? I think not. Am I any less of a fan because I wanted the one remaining person standing to sit down so my view wasn't obstructed any more? I don't think so.

Online butchersdog

• Kopite
« Reply #5515 on: April 21, 2015, 10:06:29 am »
This thread is so depressing, I can't believe it wasn't locked ages ago.

First time I've posted on here for years but felt I had to.

Firstly, what is the obsession with people who wear a replica shirt or scarf to the game? Does that make them any less of a fan? Particularly infuriates me when people have a go at little kids in a shirt - would they have done any different when they were young? Get off your high horses people, we should all be as one.

On Sunday I was at the front of 511 and I've felt thoroughly pi&&ed off about it since. Firstly, the guy two seats to my left who racially abused Balotelli was probably the final straw. Suffice to say I've reported it to Kick It Out and LFC - absolutely unacceptable.

General atmosphere was pretty poor. First half we all stood which was no problem albeit atmosphere was still flat. Second half, everyone sat down bar the guy directly in front of me. When I tapped him on the shoulder, he gave me a nasty look and basically told me to F-Off. Subsequently found out he'd been drinking since 6am. His two mates meanwhile returned for the 2nd half on about 60 minutes then left the ground as soon as the injury time board went up.

Are these guys any better supporters than someone who wears a shirt or scarf? I think not. Am I any less of a fan because I wanted the one remaining person standing to sit down so my view wasn't obstructed any more? I don't think so.

I've never known anyone to have a problem with someone wearing a shirt or a scarf at the match, ever.

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5516 on: April 21, 2015, 11:15:59 am »
Read the previous pages of this thread. People being called 'full kit wankers', taking the pi&& out of people who wear a captains armband or a name on back of shirt.

Appears the only acceptable way to go to a match is to wear no colours whatsoever. If everyone did this it would take away from the atmosphere/visual impact both inside and outside of grounds.

Why do people get so worked up about this. I don't get it. Seems most of the people on here have a massive superiority complex over others on here, for no apparent reason.

Offline Tonyh

• Tony get the shots in (after 7pm)
  • Legacy Fan
  • .............is the final piece of the jigsaw!
« Reply #5517 on: April 21, 2015, 11:47:21 am »
Just a comment regarding the seeming acceptance by some of our fans that a line of coke etc is an acceptable practice at a footy game. As a licensee I get to see up front what drugs and alcohol do to people and it is not pretty. Their personalities change and they just become more unstable, some go stupid silly, others just turn into pricks. That is bad enough in a pub but worse in a large footy stadium where there is lots of jostling, safety issues etc.
Let's also never forget the 39!

Offline AJL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This time one year, we'll be the Champions again
« Reply #5518 on: April 21, 2015, 11:48:38 am »
Read the previous pages of this thread. People being called 'full kit wankers', taking the pi&& out of people who wear a captains armband or a name on back of shirt.

Appears the only acceptable way to go to a match is to wear no colours whatsoever. If everyone did this it would take away from the atmosphere/visual impact both inside and outside of grounds.

Why do people get so worked up about this. I don't get it. Seems most of the people on here have a massive superiority complex over others on here, for no apparent reason.

I think you'll find a 'full kit wanker' is someone (usually a grown man)who wears....... a FULL KIT.  If someone wants to wear a replica shirt then ok fair enough.  If someone, especially a grown man, wants to add a captains arm band though !!   :wanker
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side"

#JFT96

Online butchersdog

• Kopite
« Reply #5519 on: April 21, 2015, 11:51:06 am »

It's not the same thing mate. Shirt, scarf, fine. Full kit, captains armband, half and half scarves, daft hats, they're embarrassing in my opinion, and if people go to the match like that, I'm glad that others have pulled them up on it. Here's why.

You have to understand that as Liverpool fans, we've always considered ourselves different to other clubs fans out there, in terms of how we support our team, how we conduct ourselves, and taken great pride in our identity. That identity has been at the core of our fanbase for decades. Countless players and managers have talked about our fans being different, being special, going back to Shanks. I don't know if you're new to supporting us, or not from the city, or both, but there's probably an element of that culture that you're not aware of/don't understand, if I was taking a guess based on what you're saying. I think it's fair to say that? That's not an insult by the way, at all. Lots of people plead ignorance on this stuff, that they don't know any better.

I guess it can look like people having a superiority complex, but I don't think it's that, certainly not for me anyway. It's more to do with the culture of the club and it's fanbase, and the things as a whole we've always stood for and identified with, being slowly eroded. People have lived their entire lives going home and away watching us, living and breathing the club. To then have relatively new fans (if I was generalising, I'd say fans since 2005 onward. Not necessarily yourself by the way, I'm talking generally based on previous experiences) telling us it's no big deal, or making out we're being unreasonable, petty, superior, whatever, well, it's pretty annoying to be honest. In short, this stuff matters.

It's like flags. Liverpool fans make their own flags and banners, generally. We don't want, or need, plastic flags leaving under the seats a la Chelsea. If the club starting issuing plastic flags, would that still contribute to the overall look of the Kop, would people be wrong to get upset about it? In my opinion, no they wouldn't, it would be a travesty. You might disagree. But then, if I'd been casually supporting another club, say Dortmund, for a few years, going to the odd game, and i turned up at the ground, stood in the middle of the yellow wall, and someone pulled me up on something, to be honest, as long as they weren't being aggressive, I'd like to think I'd take some notice. After all, it's their club. What right have I got to start preaching to them? Again, I'm not saying that's you, but there's definitely others like that.

I hope that explains some of our feelings a bit better (perhaps just mine!) and you appreciate I'm trying to put another perspective across in a reasonable way.  8)