Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 457274 times)

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #9160 on: April 26, 2024, 09:16:42 pm »
He is clearly SO HAPPY to be able to wear a neck brace selling the injury.

Dare I say.....releasing the tape has worked out wonders, although maybe not how one expected. Jack Perry has come in with a lot of heat due to it, they have a good angle going, and it's even lead to AEW getting named in the NFL Draft.

They have seemingly stumbled into gold, I hope they run with it

As Brendan Rodgers once heard from a young RaheeM Sterling, "Steady"

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9161 on: April 26, 2024, 09:17:27 pm »
Alright, Tony Khan is officially mental. Just compared WWE to Harvey Weinstein...

He is AEW's biggest problem even if he seems to be one of the less bad billionaires.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9162 on: April 27, 2024, 09:35:18 am »
There was a both funny and terrifying botch on SD with Carmelo Hayes and Cody Rhodes doing a completely misstimed cutter spot, with Carmelo flopping before Cody has even left the rope. Both just crashed out.

It was clearly a bitch as Carmelo turned in as if to be cluttered, so it was a flying nothing

It is hilarious because it looks hilarious

It is scary because Cody landed on, and started clutching, his shoulder. If he is injured then fuck me

Carmelo...I don't see it myself. He isn't exceptional at anything and he is like 5 foot nothing, 120 lbs soaking wet. He feels about as "can't miss" as Austin Theory
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 09:37:00 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9163 on: April 27, 2024, 05:02:00 pm »
Latest TNA PPV apparently had 500 buys

Even by TNA standards that's bad

Compare it to the company they supposedly challenging for 2nd who's latest PPV had a drop to 120,000 buys

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9164 on: April 27, 2024, 05:03:17 pm »
Fuckin' Hell! Is TNA still going? I thought it was long gone.  ;D

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9165 on: April 27, 2024, 05:14:01 pm »
Fuckin' Hell! Is TNA still going? I thought it was long gone.  ;D

It got stronger consolidating smaller for a while. Not it feels like they can go any minute now

Honestly MLW, TNA, and NWA should come together to form a super 3rd place company. Neither are healthy so it wouldn't hurt

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9166 on: April 27, 2024, 05:54:32 pm »
Not too long ago, TNA was putting out the best stuff of all the wrestling companies in my view.

Hopefully it can find a way to keep going. The inadvisable collaboration with AEW came, went and suddenly they seemed to kick up a gear or three.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9167 on: April 27, 2024, 06:34:03 pm »
I watched it for a few weeks after the rebrand but got bored. The low crowds at TV are really noticeable, especially compared to TNA's heyday. The Olympia in 08 is one of my fondest memories of a wrestling show, these days it's a world away.

The wrestling is ok but I really hate the WWE style promos. AEW have taken the purists away, and there aren't many wrestling fans willing to shell out for 2 companies PPV's in such a short space of time. I'd like them to be successful but they have no special identity, if you took the TNA logo out of the ring, you would think you're watching an episode of WWE. And when you don't have any marquee names there, no one is going to switch over.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9168 on: April 28, 2024, 08:07:20 pm »
That TNA Olympia show in 2008 was fantastic!
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9169 on: April 29, 2024, 07:57:52 am »
Rather surreal conversation with my Chief Exec just now, who commented on a John Cena hoody I was using as a coat as I came in.

Her sons are wrestling fans apparently, and she is quite in to the AEW WWE rivalry as a result. Says she would have some explaining to do if she'd said what Triple H had said about the ongoing investigation  said she would be packing her stuff if she'd said what Khan said as a joke. Fascinating stuff

Would never have pegged her for a fan in any way. Should keep me off the firing list for another day I guess.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9170 on: April 29, 2024, 12:24:48 pm »
Rather surreal conversation with my Chief Exec just now, who commented on a John Cena hoody I was using as a coat as I came in.

Her sons are wrestling fans apparently, and she is quite in to the AEW WWE rivalry as a result. Says she would have some explaining to do if she'd said what Triple H had said about the ongoing investigation  said she would be packing her stuff if she'd said what Khan said as a joke. Fascinating stuff

Would never have pegged her for a fan in any way. Should keep me off the firing list for another day I guess.

She sounds like a very smart and competent business woman, and she is talking about HHH and Tony Khan who are both circus clowns in suits.

So yeah under normal business etiquette yeah that wouldn't fly. But it's wrestling baby!!!

It is why Nick Khan and Chris Legentil have managed to get so far so fast - they are real serious business people playing against clowns. It's like footballers going to the Saudi league or MLS - for big money and an easy time against some shite players

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9171 on: April 29, 2024, 01:38:29 pm »
She sounds like a very smart and competent business woman, and she is talking about HHH and Tony Khan who are both circus clowns in suits.

So yeah under normal business etiquette yeah that wouldn't fly. But it's wrestling baby!!!

It is why Nick Khan and Chris Legentil have managed to get so far so fast - they are real serious business people playing against clowns. It's like footballers going to the Saudi league or MLS - for big money and an easy time against some shite players

Have to agree. Khan and HHH have their good qualities but I think both should be off camera.

I'm not sure my boss would be a great wrestling leader either, given she is a council leader and it's a different set of skills, but she is far better at answering tough questions that won't get her, or us, in trouble.

Wrestling is an off industry.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9172 on: April 29, 2024, 09:39:58 pm »
Wrestling is a funny industry, so far from other sports organisations. If Klopp said what Khan said, he'd be getting his P45 the next day from FSG.

Out of interest, what did HHH say? From what I recall, he was asked about it at a press conference and he dismissed the news?

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9173 on: April 30, 2024, 05:51:27 am »
Wrestling is a funny industry, so far from other sports organisations. If Klopp said what Khan said, he'd be getting his P45 the next day from FSG.

Out of interest, what did HHH say? From what I recall, he was asked about it at a press conference and he dismissed the news?

She mentioned two things (and I am amazed how much she knew, cos I really didn't expect her to know this detail) that the answer to the allegations about Vince was stupid, because the easy answer would have been about an "ongoing investigation" and that the answer about not picking up free agents would have been something like "we only want those who opt to come" rather than stuff about the grind.

Don't get me wrong, I think Triple H has worked incredibly well, but keep him off camera where his ego seems to get ahead of itself.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9174 on: April 30, 2024, 09:30:45 am »

You reminded me of shoot interviews and how even the guys who are now out of business hold onto every little grudge for years on end, a lot of them are under developed emotionally. Don't get me wrong, they are usually funny and brilliant to listen to, some of them make an art out of it.

Then you have Punk ranting after a PPV with Tony sitting there, could you imagine Mo being allowed to sit down on Saturday and go off on one. Never in a million years would it be allowed.

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9175 on: April 30, 2024, 01:09:42 pm »
WWE draft looked a bit of a damp squib with the vast majority of moves being mid-carders and below. No champions moved... Smackdown still has Bianca, Randy Orton, LA Knight, The Bloodline, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens... Raw still has Drew, Jey Uso, Seth Rollins, Gunther, Gable etc. I guess when they're on a hot streak they don't feel they need to make massive changes.

Probably most interesting was the NXT call-ups. Carmelo Hayes now on Smackdown and Ilja Dragunov now on Raw (Gunther feud incoming, hopefully). A bunch of others have come up too - Kiana James, Blair Davenport, Lyra Valkyria... Corbin is back on Smackdown and Dijak is on Raw. And they brought Bron Breakker, Tiffany Stratton, Creed Brothers and Tyler Bate up very recently too.

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9176 on: April 30, 2024, 05:37:02 pm »
WWE draft looked a bit of a damp squib with the vast majority of moves being mid-carders and below. No champions moved... Smackdown still has Bianca, Randy Orton, LA Knight, The Bloodline, AJ Styles, Kevin Owens... Raw still has Drew, Jey Uso, Seth Rollins, Gunther, Gable etc. I guess when they're on a hot streak they don't feel they need to make massive changes.

Probably most interesting was the NXT call-ups. Carmelo Hayes now on Smackdown and Ilja Dragunov now on Raw (Gunther feud incoming, hopefully). A bunch of others have come up too - Kiana James, Blair Davenport, Lyra Valkyria... Corbin is back on Smackdown and Dijak is on Raw. And they brought Bron Breakker, Tiffany Stratton, Creed Brothers and Tyler Bate up very recently too.

Really want to see them do something with Dijak.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9177 on: April 30, 2024, 05:53:00 pm »
They'll never get a better chance to do an Irish faction, Lyra Valkyria, Sheamus, Finn, JD and Becky all on RAW.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9178 on: April 30, 2024, 06:16:08 pm »
They'll never get a better chance to do an Irish faction, Lyra Valkyria, Sheamus, Finn, JD and Becky all on RAW.

HHH does love to put different ethnic groups together in stables to be fair

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9179 on: April 30, 2024, 06:29:07 pm »

Would be immense. An iWo t-shirt would break records ;) haha

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #9180 on: May 1, 2024, 09:32:40 am »

Starting a feud against a Scottish one, Drew, Piper Niven, The Coffey Brothers, Alba Fyre, Isla Dawn & Supernova 11 Noam Dar
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9181 on: May 2, 2024, 02:47:45 am »
They seem to be gearing up to push JD, with a Judgement Day power struggle.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9182 on: May 2, 2024, 01:29:09 pm »
They seem to be gearing up to push JD, with a Judgement Day power struggle.

I wish they pushed the bobbled headed prick off a ladder

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9183 on: May 2, 2024, 01:55:14 pm »
Caught Dynamite during the election work I was meant to be doing.

Beginning with Swerve was brilliant - not entirely sure about the story behind the guy challenging him but should be a good programme - and Omega, for the first time I have ever seen him, cut a better than boiling hot bad promo; it was a bit of a barnstormer actually, like when Miz cut that promo on the then Daniel Bryan.

The rest, I'm not sure hit at all.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9184 on: May 2, 2024, 03:05:05 pm »
Caught Dynamite during the election work I was meant to be doing.

Beginning with Swerve was brilliant - not entirely sure about the story behind the guy challenging him but should be a good programme - and Omega, for the first time I have ever seen him, cut a better than boiling hot bad promo; it was a bit of a barnstormer actually, like when Miz cut that promo on the then Daniel Bryan.

The rest, I'm not sure hit at all.

Very much a filler episode. Rampage looked like the better show to be honest.

At the very least though you have a bunch of matches booked for Double or Nothing already, and clear paths to others (Copeland/Black for example).

I do hope that Ospreay challenging for the International title leads to that and the Continental Title being merged into the Intercontinental Title - could do that at Wembley, Ospreay vs Okada for the new belt, you don't get much bigger than that other than for the world title, gives Swerve time as champ too. Ospreay should win the title at All In, but it seems there's going to be plenty more All In's so doesn't have to be this one

I do have to say I love what they are doing with Jack Perry. He appears to be finding what was missing.

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9185 on: May 2, 2024, 06:35:48 pm »
Very much a filler episode. Rampage looked like the better show to be honest.

At the very least though you have a bunch of matches booked for Double or Nothing already, and clear paths to others (Copeland/Black for example).

I do hope that Ospreay challenging for the International title leads to that and the Continental Title being merged into the Intercontinental Title - could do that at Wembley, Ospreay vs Okada for the new belt, you don't get much bigger than that other than for the world title, gives Swerve time as champ too. Ospreay should win the title at All In, but it seems there's going to be plenty more All In's so doesn't have to be this one

I do have to say I love what they are doing with Jack Perry. He appears to be finding what was missing.

Must admit, cards have been built better and this appears to be no exception.

They can take their time with Ospreay winning, Swerve gets his time for now I hope.

And yeah, whilst I don't agree that leaking the tape has been good for them, it has brought Perry back to tv and, from first reflections, to a role that he seems supremely comfortable in.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9186 on: May 2, 2024, 07:53:34 pm »
Must admit, cards have been built better and this appears to be no exception.

They can take their time with Ospreay winning, Swerve gets his time for now I hope.

And yeah, whilst I don't agree that leaking the tape has been good for them, it has brought Perry back to tv and, from first reflections, to a role that he seems supremely comfortable in.

Still got a month to build so see how it goes, we know the card so now you can build it hopefully.

After the whole hair thing I hope Swerve makes it a hair match at Double or Nothing. Would say he should get to Nicks hair too in the build up, give Swerve that evil streak that put him over to begin with

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #9187 on: May 3, 2024, 12:51:19 pm »
Reckon Trent? Is underrated personally. Anyone else think so or just me? Heel turn could be decent

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #9188 on: May 3, 2024, 12:58:46 pm »
He is good and bumps like a motherfucker, one of the most selfless wrestlers of this era. But even a fool like Dolph Ziggler has had his time in the sun unlike him. I hope this push gets him something memorable.

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #9189 on: May 3, 2024, 01:59:59 pm »
On a similar 'AEW midcarders' theme, Ethan Page is now gone from the AEW roster page. Always a bit weird that he basically just disappeared into RoH for ages but is now seemingly gone from the company entirely. Certainly, like Trent, another one that AEW could have gotten more out of. He was decent in everything he did, but never quite had that breakout match or feud to push him out of the midcard. Having him prop up Scorpio Sky in MOTY was certainly a mistake, although at least he got to wrestle Sting out of it.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #9190 on: May 3, 2024, 02:23:15 pm »
He is good and bumps like a motherfucker, one of the most selfless wrestlers of this era. But even a fool like Dolph Ziggler has had his time in the sun unlike him. I hope this push gets him something memorable.

Fair. Trent originally came back looking like a million bucks. Some charisma can't be taught.

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #9191 on: May 3, 2024, 02:24:49 pm »
On a similar 'AEW midcarders' theme, Ethan Page is now gone from the AEW roster page. Always a bit weird that he basically just disappeared into RoH for ages but is now seemingly gone from the company entirely. Certainly, like Trent, another one that AEW could have gotten more out of. He was decent in everything he did, but never quite had that breakout match or feud to push him out of the midcard. Having him prop up Scorpio Sky in MOTY was certainly a mistake, although at least he got to wrestle Sting out of it.

Agree on Page. Good on the mic too. Never seemed happy to just be taking the money. Odd one.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9192 on: May 3, 2024, 11:54:46 pm »
Agree on Page. Good on the mic too. Never seemed happy to just be taking the money. Odd one.

I enjoyed the Men of the Year stuff with Scorpio Sky and Dan Lambert. He sort of bounced around after that with that weird faction that was aligned with MJF for about 2 weeks. Then him in a comedy type bit with Matt Hardy.

Really enjoyed his toy shop vlogs on YouTube with plenty of other wrestlers showing up. Thought they had big plans for him when he shelved the channel, moved him to ROH as a singles star, and had a big match against Kenny Omega. Currently the last man Kenny wrestled as well.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9193 on: May 4, 2024, 10:42:10 am »
Gable Stevenson binned by WWE. They had big hopes for him clearly but looked like a charisma vacuum, presumably wasn’t doing well in training and everyone on social media hated him over the sexual assault allegations. Good riddance, by the sounds of it.

A bunch of other NXT releases but the only other I’d heard of was Drew Gulak, who faced some allegations himself recently from Ronda Rousey.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #9194 on: May 4, 2024, 11:15:04 am »
There's been so much pushback on Ronda from WWE insiders since she left as well. In general seems quite a toxic personality.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2024, 11:19:25 am by OsirisMVZ »

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9195 on: May 4, 2024, 06:49:56 pm »
They are going to have to work around a lot with Tanga Loa - I get signing him but he is 40 and after his latest surgery he moves like Paul Wight these days

Online Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9196 on: May 4, 2024, 08:33:51 pm »
They are going to have to work around a lot with Tanga Loa - I get signing him but he is 40 and after his latest surgery he moves like Paul Wight these days

Not familiar at all but doesn’t sound promising. Excited to see Jacob Fatu when he starts, seems to have a really good rep.

They’re definitely going to do War Games with New versus Old Bloodline. Whether they can Rock there for it remains to be seen.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9197 on: May 4, 2024, 09:11:01 pm »
Backlash card didn't do it for me at all, it all felt very house show. The main event was brilliant though, and hardly surprising as AJ is still a class act.

The crowd was pumped up but also very distracting from the work in the ring. A full rendition of La Marseillaise wasn't really appropriate while Cody and AJ are trading slams.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9198 on: May 4, 2024, 09:14:27 pm »
Not familiar at all but doesn’t sound promising. Excited to see Jacob Fatu when he starts, seems to have a really good rep.

They’re definitely going to do War Games with New versus Old Bloodline. Whether they can Rock there for it remains to be seen.

https://twitter.com/amyhay___/status/1786813590470594961?t=owGQau3qDNwWoz1LWoqXZw&s=19

Here's some choice moments from his latest run, but you could choose many moments. Honestly he is really not good now. He was never the quickest but has got significantly slower, and weaker

Jacob Fatu is a weird one that he hasn't debuted yet. I don't know if it has in fact happened but he was always a risk of failing the background check (he is an ex con). Otherwise though great in the ring.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9199 on: May 4, 2024, 09:17:03 pm »
In other news, looks like Seth Rollins is bald now, or at least a very trim cut on his sides

https://twitter.com/BethanyWWE1/status/1786837328582852792?t=zfzhONgnIkxtN2H1L-sPGA&s=19