Author Topic: Jose Manuel Reina  (Read 273616 times)

Offline Areal

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Jose Manuel Reina
« Reply #2240 on: January 3, 2012, 10:33:16 pm »
Overprotected. Already messed up against Tottenam (we were fucked by the time then, but still), Norwich, Fulham and now City. Doesn't seem reliable this season. You'd think otherwise since we had the best defence in the league, but that was more because of the whole defensive system. Even the best keeper in the world wouldnt manage to suffer such few goals without good centre backs ahead of him.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2241 on: January 3, 2012, 10:33:23 pm »
I remember he used to save pens....
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2242 on: January 3, 2012, 10:35:25 pm »
Still a top keeper and we're lucky to have him. He's a bit different since Xavi Valero left though, maybe not quite as sharp.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2243 on: January 3, 2012, 10:35:54 pm »
Made a big error tonight. It doesn't happen often. Just a shame it came at a bad time. Tend to be the case for keepers, but it would be great if it happened when we were a few goals up. 

Have no doubt he'll bounce back and perform for us.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Online ArcticRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2244 on: January 3, 2012, 10:36:04 pm »
Starting to get bored of this "best keeper in the league" bollox thrown at anyone who criticises him. He had a poor game, and has been dodgy all season.
No wonder he's effin' dodgy, knowing that on single mistake is make or break in any given game, as we're completely unable to do the job at the other end. But it's always the keeper, isn't it.
Think Rushie said it best (if it isn't just another made up internet quote) about the goalie job being the worst there is. Cause a striker can do nothing for 90 mins, get a goal at the end and be a hero. While the goalie can be superman for 90 mins, but that one slip makes him a villain.
Could understand it if he made these mistakes on a regular basis, but he doesn't. It just seems that way cause we can't even buy a goal for ourselves these days.

Offline JM10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2245 on: January 3, 2012, 10:36:24 pm »
I am a massive Pepe fan, but I can't be the only one uncomfortable with him as captain? He's boss and all but he doesn't offer us anything extra when he has the armband, plus I'm sure he makes more mistakes when he has it on (they have been too frequent this season, costing us points).
Twitter

Betfair referral code: 7X3XLFRPH

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2246 on: January 3, 2012, 10:41:16 pm »
Still one of the best keepers in the world, but it hasn't been his most consisten season.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #2247 on: January 3, 2012, 10:45:15 pm »
Starting to get bored of this "best keeper in the league" bollox thrown at anyone who criticises him. He had a poor game, and has been dodgy all season.

Fulham, City. Did I miss anyything else?
« Last Edit: January 3, 2012, 10:46:48 pm by tommyLFC »
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline Roslagen

• Legacy Fan
  • What I write is conspiracy nonsense
« Reply #2248 on: January 3, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »
Pepe Reina of today has nothing on Pepe Reina four-five years ago. Where are the impossible saves now? Fourth error this season as well. Real sad.

No, he's not among the five best keepers in the world right now. He has a lot of work to do to get back to where he was.
Mourinho to Spurs when Redknapp leaves, was a discussion I had with a friend in the pub last night. Possible.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #2249 on: January 3, 2012, 10:46:42 pm »
He'll be livid. Really should have stopped it.

Offline elbobo

• Main Stander
« Reply #2250 on: January 3, 2012, 10:47:10 pm »
everyone makes mistakes. Its just keepers get highlighted more as more often than not they are punished for it

bad day at the office, nothing more

move on

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #2251 on: January 3, 2012, 10:47:57 pm »
Best keeper we've had since Clemence .
He's human.
Don't worry.about it.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Roslagen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2252 on: January 3, 2012, 10:48:04 pm »
Tottenham, City. Did I miss anyything else?

Norwich - failed to come out properly, then tried to find a middle ground instead of staying on the goal line.
Fulham - dodgy save and let rebound out right onto Dempsey's path. A shot he'd catch 99 % of the times the way we got used to him.
Mourinho to Spurs when Redknapp leaves, was a discussion I had with a friend in the pub last night. Possible.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2253 on: January 3, 2012, 10:48:21 pm »
A lot of shit being spouted in here.  No one is perfect, most of all the twats in here talking shit about an incredible keeper who made an error.  It's not like the offense did their job by scoring for us.  He made an incredible save for their corner, only to be let down by lax marking with another one 30 seconds later. 

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2254 on: January 3, 2012, 10:48:46 pm »
The person who will be most annoyed at his mistakes will be himself. You could see from his reaction that he knew he royally cocked up.

Still one of the first names on the team sheet and he will come back from this.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #2255 on: January 3, 2012, 10:48:47 pm »
Unlucky today.  End of.  We've got a diamond in Pepe.

Offline Carra23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2256 on: January 3, 2012, 10:48:51 pm »
Would rather have Pepe in goal than any other keeper.

Before tonight, we had the best defensive record and Pepe has played his part in that.

I doubt many other teams will put 3 past him in the 2nd half of the season.
Sent from my laptop using my fingers to type

Offline Roslagen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2257 on: January 3, 2012, 10:50:39 pm »
A lot of shit being spouted in here.  No one is perfect, most of all the twats in here talking shit about an incredible keeper who made an error.  It's not like the offense did their job by scoring for us.  He made an incredible save for their corner, only to be let down by lax marking with another one 30 seconds later.

With the standards he set in 2005-2009 it's easy for people to get upset. The past seasons has seen a steady decline in his mobility on heavy stretches and doesn't seem to read the ball just as well any longer. Have they changed the ball model perhaps?

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2258 on: January 3, 2012, 10:50:52 pm »
He's still fucking boss. End of.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2259 on: January 3, 2012, 10:51:29 pm »
think he should be rested against oldham

send him home for the day to his wife and give him a break

and yes for me he is the best keeper in the league. who else
de gea? schezny? cech? hart?

keep them
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Nugget-8

• Main Stander
  • Lucas does jobs.
Jose Manuel Reina
« Reply #2260 on: January 3, 2012, 10:51:52 pm »
He's still fucking boss. End of.

This.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2261 on: January 3, 2012, 10:52:24 pm »
Don't understand why more mistakes have started to creep into his game. Guess he can't be perfect every season. Still the best keeper in the league on form though.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2262 on: January 3, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »
RAWK at it's finest

what the fuck is going on in here
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline aoaaron

• Clueless
  • Kopite
« Reply #2263 on: January 3, 2012, 10:54:01 pm »
I don't think he's the best keeper in the league this season. Our defence has been fantastic in front of him recently, he's had to far less than latter seasons.

Still love him tho...

Offline masterbaker

• kneads a good rise.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me
« Reply #2264 on: January 3, 2012, 10:54:59 pm »
bring back xavi valero, is it me or has pepe's high standards have slipped since he left?

Offline Djimothy

• Kopite
« Reply #2265 on: January 3, 2012, 10:55:39 pm »
He's cost too many points this season,needs to get his fucking finger out.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #2266 on: January 3, 2012, 10:55:52 pm »
The thing I value most in any elite sports person is their mental durability.  The ability not to allow one error to cause another.

I used to defend Lucas in his early days with us, as he has this quality.  He got booed by his own fans, but kept trying the right things without losing his self-belief.

Reina has this.  His greatest strength is his ability to put errors behind him.  All goalkeepers will make mistakes, but Reina's are not down to a mental weakness.

There are a number of players in our team that to me don't have this mental robustness.  They are the shrinking violets who aren't the born winners.  I'll let you make your own minds up about who these are.

As for Reina, be careful what you wish for.  Finding a goalkeeper who makes as few mistakes as Reina is difficult, let alone finding one with the mental durability to put errors behind them.

Offline snoop123

• Kopite
« Reply #2267 on: January 3, 2012, 10:56:03 pm »
He's made a few more mistakes than normal this season, but calamity james he ain't
Liverpool are magic!! Everton are tragic

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2268 on: January 3, 2012, 10:56:15 pm »
To be fair he needs a good coach.

Valero used to challenge him and mix it up and always try and improve him. Cant help but think Atcherberg follows Pepe's lead. In the pre match warm up's Pepe is instigating what warm up to do and when to do it. For the past few seasons he has had Atcherberg and Kelly.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2269 on: January 3, 2012, 10:56:19 pm »
bring back xavi valero, is it me or has pepe's high standards have slipped since he left?

You won't be popular for saying that but yeah, they definitely have. His distribution, shot stopping & positioning have all looked a lot shakier over the past year or so. Still makes some brilliant saves, like the one from Kompany tonight but he's not the pepe of 2 or 3 seasons ago that's for sure.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2270 on: January 3, 2012, 10:56:43 pm »
Still a brilliant keeper, he's made a few mistakes granted but he's also made some sensational saves and advanced from his line to clear some great through balls in behind our defence. I cant think of a single other keeper who steps up so well in behind his defence to see out danger when a well weighted pass is played through. His position and reading of the game are wonderful not to mention the countless big saves and his level of distribution.

Felt bad for him tonight, hopefully he cuts these mistakes out of his game. Been solid for alot of the season and i can count the mistakes on one hand, people can say what they want about him but he's fucking immense

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2271 on: January 3, 2012, 10:57:09 pm »
RAWK's fucking loopy.

Absolutely batshit crazy.

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2272 on: January 3, 2012, 10:57:33 pm »
Worst season he's had as a Liverpool player in my opinion

True, but still want him as our number1
YNWA

Offline Roslagen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2273 on: January 3, 2012, 10:57:56 pm »
RAWK at it's finest

what the fuck is going on in here

Not being floored like Carroll or Downing is, is he?

We all know it's a bad spell but there's a long way to go before other alternatives should even be discussed. He's earned himself time to get back. That's my opinion.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2274 on: January 3, 2012, 10:57:57 pm »
Our defense is only now getting back to the way it was before Rafa's last season.  Keepers rely on their defense.  If they didn't, the score line would just look like they took penalties for 90 mins.  Great keepers, in great teams, come up with the big saves when you need them to.  He's had a few mistakes this season, but he's also saved points as well.  Our main problem is not scoring more than 1 goal in hardly any game.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2275 on: January 3, 2012, 10:58:06 pm »
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2276 on: January 3, 2012, 10:59:37 pm »
If Pepe has some blame for our league position this season, I'd hate to think what share of the blame our attackers have.

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2277 on: January 3, 2012, 11:00:26 pm »
Let's face it, by his own high standards he's having a shitter of a season.  However his shit season is still better than the best season of 90% of the keepers in the league.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2278 on: January 3, 2012, 11:00:33 pm »
RAWK's fucking loopy.

Absolutely batshit crazy.

Bit of an over reaction really, it's not like he's getting a roasting. People have just casually mentioned that as of late he's not living upto the incredibly high standards he sets himself.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Hannibal

• Kopite
« Reply #2279 on: January 3, 2012, 11:01:32 pm »
If Pepe has some blame for our league position this season, I'd hate to think what share of the blame our attackers have.

;D

The defenses' back must be killing them from all the carrying they've been doing this season.  24 goals scored in 20 games is fucking dire.