Author Topic: RAWK Reviews: And The Sun Shines Now by Adrian Tempany  (Read 16940 times)

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Reviews: And The Sun Shines Now by Adrian Tempany
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2016, 08:31:42 pm »
My mates dropped unsubtle hints he's buying it for my birthday so having to wait a few weeks to read it ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2016, 08:41:29 pm »
My mates dropped unsubtle hints he's buying it for my birthday so having to wait a few weeks to read it ;D
In the end, he wins AND he gets the girl! ;D

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2016, 09:27:07 am »
Ade, there was a letter in yesterday's Guardian from one of the legal team about Patnick in response to some of the reporting/reviewing of your book. I can't find it online but you should contact the letters page for a copy. Basically clarified that Patnick wasn't MP for Hillsborough as reported, that he wasn't involved on behalf of his constituents and his only interest was in spreading the lies about Liverpool fans.

I left the paper on the train so don't have it with me. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2016, 01:43:16 pm »
Yeah, it was a letter from Mark George QC.

He's right - the reviewer had referred to Patnick as being the MP for Hillsborough, when I had made clear he was in fact MP for Sheffield Hallam. Mark made the point that the suggestion by the reviewer that he was MP for Hillsborough might imply his presence at the Niagara sports club on 15 April - when the police began cooking up their lies for The Sun - was understandable, as 'the local MP'. In fact, as Mark points out, he was not the local MP, and appears to have gone there to aid and abet the police in getting their story out.

'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2016, 02:06:45 pm »
Yeah, it was a letter from Mark George QC.

He's right - the reviewer had referred to Patnick as being the MP for Hillsborough, when I had made clear he was in fact MP for Sheffield Hallam. Mark made the point that the suggestion by the reviewer that he was MP for Hillsborough might imply his presence at the Niagara sports club on 15 April - when the police began cooking up their lies for The Sun - was understandable, as 'the local MP'. In fact, as Mark points out, he was not the local MP, and appears to have gone there to aid and abet the police in getting their story out.

Thanks for this. Never occurred to me he was anything other than the local MP and I was a witness to the unlawful killing of our fans so have been involved in the case from inception.

Having read the reviews and Michael A's pearler in particular (which I commented on earlier) and having foolishly acquiesced to receiving the book as a Father's Day prezzie, believing distribution was a way off,  I am now drumming fingers on table, impatiently 
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Bluelagos

• Twinned with Redouagadougou. ITFC Fan but LFC Legend.
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Follow the town, up or down....ok, usually down
    • Hillsborough diaries.
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2016, 04:26:29 pm »
That's the thing, Tim. The scoreline might read 14-0 but that's a very flattering scoreline when you know how hard the training regime was and how tight the tactical planning needed to be. The nation should be outraged over the continued smearing that threatened to inflict the greatest ever miscarriage on families and survivors. It was a close run thing and it's good that people now have the chance to understand exactly what happened. Thanks to books and articles like Ade's - and a notable mention to Nick's excellent recent blog entries that also tells the story of the behind-the-scenes anxieties and how to face up to establishment-driven adversity.

Cheers for the comment about my blog - first post (of 6) below.     

http://ahillsboroughsurvivor.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/survivors-with-attitude.html

Was certainly not an easy or straight forward victory.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2016, 10:43:50 am »
I'm half way through Ade's book, this really is a must read which explores football & society beyond Hillsborough. Meanwhile ......

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/06/citytalk-and-the-sun-shines-now/

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2016, 09:04:20 pm »
Quality review Michael thanks for that.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
Hillsborough debate on The Anfield Wrap last week
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2016, 06:42:19 pm »
Hope it's Ok to put this here (no button to start New Topic in Hillsborough forum...?)

I took part with Damian Kavanagh (Kav on here) in a debate on The Anfield Wrap City Talk last week - on Hillsborough, the inquests, and the vilification of Liverpool fans.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2016/06/citytalk-and-the-sun-shines-now/
'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
Re: Hillsborough debate on The Anfield Wrap last week
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2016, 07:33:54 pm »
I thought it was great, thanks.  Gave me a boost when I needed it.  I'm enjoying the book too.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hillsborough debate on The Anfield Wrap last week
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2016, 09:24:46 pm »
It was great mate, in the TAW thread I asked everyone to share it on their individual FB pages.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2016, 09:16:29 am »
I finally finished this wonderful book the other day. It was fantastic and a must for anyone packing a book for their summer hols.

The depth of research and detail in to football is amazing, thanks Ade.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2017, 09:32:38 am »
A quick bump for your summer reading lists; Ade won the New Writer award at the Sports Book Awards last night.

Richly deserved, congratulations Ade!  :wave

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2017, 09:38:59 am »
He's also on the long list for the Orwell Prize - a prestigious award for political writing. This book is political.

This review went online a year and a day ago, and I have thought about it a lot over the past twelve months. Back then I wrote that "it's a book about Hillsborough, and it's a book about football. It's a book about how Britain got fucked up", and whilst I'm delighted that Ade has won these accolades, I'm relieved that my slightly one eyed view of the book - knowing Ade and knowing his contribution to RAWK - has been backed up by two judging panels!

If you haven't read it already I would urge you to do so.  :wave

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2017, 11:55:46 am »
He's also on the long list for the Orwell Prize - a prestigious award for political writing. This book is political.

This review went online a year and a day ago, and I have thought about it a lot over the past twelve months. Back then I wrote that "it's a book about Hillsborough, and it's a book about football. It's a book about how Britain got fucked up", and whilst I'm delighted that Ade has won these accolades, I'm relieved that my slightly one eyed view of the book - knowing Ade and knowing his contribution to RAWK - has been backed up by two judging panels!

If you haven't read it already I would urge you to do so.  :wave

I've been thinking about this again this week. First, Ade made the shortlist and the winner is announced this evening. Second, it looks like the tragic events at the Grenfell Tower have a resonance with other examples of dreadful, preventable disasters that Ade examines in the book - Hillsborough, Bradford Fire, Herald Of Free Enterprise, Kings Cross Fire - when public safety is left to the mercy of private oversight.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2017, 11:06:13 am »
I've been thinking about this again this week. First, Ade made the shortlist and the winner is announced this evening. Second, it looks like the tragic events at the Grenfell Tower have a resonance with other examples of dreadful, preventable disasters that Ade examines in the book - Hillsborough, Bradford Fire, Herald Of Free Enterprise, Kings Cross Fire - when public safety is left to the mercy of private oversight.

Incredible and brilliant he made the shortlist; shame he missed out.  really is a superb book and as you say, all the more relevant given what's happened in the last few days.